Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your team for the summer tour to North America

Options
  • 09-04-2013 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hey, it's a bit ahead of time, but what would be your summer team to play the States and Canada?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Coburger wrote: »
    Hey, it's a bit ahead of time, but what would be your summer team to play the States and Canada?

It all depends on who is with the Lions.
    Something like maybe

Kilcoyne Strauss Hagan Tuohy Ryan Henderson Henry POM
    Marmion Madigan Trimble McSharry Cave Gilroy Kearney

Cronin Buckley Archer Stevenson TOD Marshall Jackson Earls

Lions tourist Healy POC SOB BOD Zebo Sexton
    Rested Best Heaslip McCarthy Ross Darcy Bowe Marshall

What about you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Very hard to say when we don't know who will/won't be with the Lions.

But if we saw something like:
    Props: Kilcoyne, Buckley, Archer, Hagan
    Hookers: Strauss, Cronin, Sherry
    Locks: Toner, Ryan, McCarthy
    BR: Henderson, POM, Ryan, O'Donnell
    SH: Murray, Marmion
    OH: Madigan, Jackson
    Centres: Marshall, Cave, McFadden
    Back three: Zebo, Gilroy, Earls, D Kearney, Trimble

That would be young enough to build for the future but experienced enough to put a meaningful performance together. No point bringing the likes of DOC, Boss, D'Arcy etc.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,612 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

If Heaslip isn't with the Lions (and I don't think he will be at this point) I think he'll probably go and captain the tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Coburger

It all depends on who is with the Lions.
    Something like maybe

Kilcoyne Strauss Hagan Tuohy Ryan Henderson Henry POM
    Marmion Madigan Trimble McSharry Cave Gilroy Kearney

Cronin Buckley Archer Stevenson TOD Marshall Jackson Earls

Lions tourist Healy POC SOB BOD Zebo Sexton
    Rested Best Heaslip McCarthy Ross Darcy Bowe Marshall

What about you

although Marshall has got a few bags and whollops recently I think it could be good for him to go along, same with McCarthy, give them a bit more time in a green shirt. Don't know if Trimble needs to go along but it could be nice to have some experience go along

• Registered Users Posts: 24,188 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I expect a few cheap caps to be handed out just as they were 4 years ago. Perhaps not to the same extent given the level of Lions involvement in 2009 but still a fair few that will have us looking back and thinking "If only I had laid off the pints and hit the gym, I could have been capped instead of him..."

Roll call for players who made the Irish senior 22 in 2009: Niall O'Connor, Ian Dowling, Ian Whitten, Niall Ronan and Denis Hurley.

The fun part of this squad will be figuring out who their equivalents are this time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Coburger wrote: »
    although Marshall has got a few bags and whollops recently I think it could be good for him to go along

Truthfully I hope we don't see Marshall on the trip. Hope he is given a long break to see how he is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭Hype710

Podge_irl wrote: »
    If Heaslip isn't with the Lions (and I don't think he will be at this point) I think he'll probably go and captain the tour.

I'm very confident Heaslip will be with the Lions. 2 dedicated 8s will need to be taken. Faletau has one sown up. Ben Morgan has been injured. Tom Wood was a blindside covering 8. Johnnie Beattie plays in France which is a mark against his name and didn't have a better 6N than Heaslip. Not only that, Heaslip has 3 test starts from four years ago, has leadership experience and has been in very good form this past month or so.

There's two games, so I'd like to see one start each for the likes of Strauss and Cronin, Madigan and Jackson, Tuohy and McCarthy etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Props: Kilcoyne, Archer (gonna happen), Hagan, Court, Loughney (cover both sides) or Hagan, Buckley

Hooker: Strauss, Cronin, Sherry

Second Row: McCarthy, Henderson, Tuohy, Toner/ Andrew Browne (Toner has favour but wanted to mention Browne has been outstanding this year and can play 6 just as well but so does Henderson)

Backrow: POM, Henry, Heaslip (C), TOD, Faloon

Scrum Halves: Marshall, Marmion, Boss

Outhalves: Jackson, Madigan

Center: McSharry, Cave, McFadden (wing cover), Griffin

Wings: Bowe (hasn't played much this year but hopefully on Lions), Gilroy

FB: Henshaw, Jones

Squad might be too big

• Registered Users Posts: 9,445 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Ryan needs the summer off, I would imagine. Wouldn't be surprised if he undergoes some form of surgery if he doesn't make the Lions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Healy (Kilcoyne)
    Best (Strauss)
    Ross
    Ryan
    POC (McCarthy)
    O'Mahoney
    O'Brien (Henry)
    Heaslip (Couglan)
    Murray
    Sexton (Madigan / Jackson)
    Zebo (Fitz/Ferg)
    Darcy
    BOD (Cave/Earls)
    Bowe (Gilroy/Trimble)
    Kearney (Henshaw)

(In case of Lions berth)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

Kilcoyne, Buckley.
    Strauss, Cronin, Sherry.
    Hagan, Archer.
    Touhy, McCarthy, Toner.
    Henderson, Browne, O'Donnell, Henry, McKeon, POM.
    Murray, Marmion.
    Madigan, Jackson.
    McSharry, Cave.
    Earls, McFadden, Kearney, Henshaw.

With a team like this:
    1. Kilcoyne
    2. Strauss
    3. Hagan
    4. Touhy
    5. McCarthy
    6. Henderson
    7. Henry
    8. POM
    9. Murray
    10. Madigan
    11. Earls
    12. McSharry
    13. Cave
    14. McFadden
    15. Henshaw
    16. Cronin
    17. Buckley
    18. Archer
    19. Toner
    20. O'Donnell
    21. Marmion
    22. Jackson
    23. Kearney

Healy (Kilcoyne)
    Best (Strauss)
    Ross
    Ryan
    POC (McCarthy)
    O'Mahoney
    O'Brien (Henry)
    Heaslip (Couglan)
    Murray
    Sexton (Madigan / Jackson)
    Zebo (Fitz/Ferg)
    Darcy
    BOD (Cave/Earls)
    Bowe (Gilroy/Trimble)
    Kearney (Henshaw)

(In case of Lions berth)

They won't be bringing their first choice team regardless of fitness or Lions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

I didn't realise these games overlap with the lions tour

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

With all these tours going on you would have to think that the likes of Henshaw and maybe even Olding will be pulled from their JWC duties to make up the numbers which would be a shame. We're scheduled to play the All Blacks U20 team with potentially a few Super rugby players in their ranks, and with the possibility of actually progressing in a tournament, surley more important than playing some Georgian/American journeymen. If they get the best team together they could have half a chance.

Tox56 wrote: »
    With all these tours going on you would have to think that the likes of Henshaw and maybe even Olding will be pulled from their JWC duties to make up the numbers which would be a shame. We're scheduled to play the All Blacks U20 team with potentially a few Super rugby players in their ranks, and with the possibility of actually progressing in a tournament, surley more important than playing some Georgian/American journeymen. If they get the best team together they could have half a chance.

I really wouldn't consider the Georgians as journey men. Plenty of top forwards in the Top 14.I pray for you if Gorgodze reads that

Olding probably won't be needed and should go to U20WC but Henshaw is different. I'd nearly leave it up to him on what to do but he might not want to let Jones get one up on him and one if his few chances while Kearney most likely will not be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Props: Kilcoyne, Archer, Buckley, Loughney,

Not much choice. We won't exactly be coming up against scrummaging forces lets find out as much as possible about these guys.

Hookers: Cronin, Sherry

An argument could be made for Strauss as well I'd rather not.

Locks: Tuohy, Toner, Kearney/PO'C

I like what Kearney's been doing at Connacht and is only 21. If PO'C doesn't go with the Lions he'd be useful as a leadership figure and a good way to ease him back into international rugby.

Backrow: Henderson, O'Donnell, Ryan, Ruddock, Henry

Easy to forget Ruddock is already capped. If you want a more recognised 8 I'd go with McKeon.

Scrumhalves: Marshall, Marmion

Murray's been good but played a lot of rugby since breaking onto the scene, give him a rest. Besides want to see what these two can do.

Outhalves: Madigan, Jackson

Don't think there's too much to say here.

Centres: Marshall, Cave, McSharry, McFadden

McFadden to also cover wing.

Backthree: Henshaw, Zebo, Gilroy, Trimble

Going on the basis I want to rest most frontline players.

Props: Kilcoyne, Archer, Buckley, Loughney,

Not much choice. We won't exactly be coming up against scrummaging forces lets find out as much as possible about these guys.

Hookers: Cronin, Sherry

An argument could be made for Strauss as well I'd rather not.

Locks: Tuohy, Toner, Kearney/PO'C

I like what Kearney's been doing at Connacht and is only 21. If PO'C doesn't go with the Lions he'd be useful as a leadership figure and a good way to ease him back into international rugby.

Backrow: Henderson, O'Donnell, Ryan, Ruddock, Henry

Easy to forget Ruddock is already capped. If you want a more recognised 8 I'd go with McKeon.

Scrumhalves: Marshall, Marmion

Murray's been good but played a lot of rugby since breaking onto the scene, give him a rest. Besides want to see what these two can do.

Outhalves: Madigan, Jackson

Don't think there's too much to say here.

Centres: Marshall, Cave, McSharry, McFadden

McFadden to also cover wing.

Backthree: Henshaw, Zebo, Gilroy, Trimble

Going on the basis I want to rest most frontline players.

You need to bring 3 hookers and at least 5 props in case of an injury before the game so uncontested scrums don't become an unnecessary issue.

3 SH's is usual protocol as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

its_phil wrote: »
    You need to bring 3 hookers and at least 5 props in case of an injury before the game so uncontested scrums don't become an unnecessary issue.

3 SH's is usual protocol as well

I know protocol yeah but I'd rather a small squad for just two games. If someone gets injured flying them over wouldn't be as bad as the Paddy Wallace case.

Tox56 wrote: »

I think Henshaw will go to North America but like you I'd rather he played in the JWC. At least with Paddy Jackson you could understand it as he'd already played in one as well as two U20 6N but Henshaw isn't in the same scenario. I don't think he's indispensable just yet for the senior team; Ireland will be fine with Jones and Earls/Gilroy so I'd prefer to see him go to the JWC and play with his peers. Our U20 victory over South Africa was probably my favourite performance by an Irish team last year!

• Advertisement

yeah, the under 20 team underperformed in the 6n.

I'd like us to send as strong as team as possible to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭TheKeenMachine

Surprised to see people picking Ryan, Ruddock, Falloon etc. over McLaughlin/Jenno/Coughlan.

Surprised to see people picking Ryan, Ruddock, Falloon etc. over McLaughlin/Jenno/Coughlan.

why?

Jenno and Coughlan are in their 30s, and McLaughlin is close to 30.

Much rather see younger players travel on this tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Coughlan will go I'd day but posters here aren't picking him because he offers very little in terms of future development, ditto Jennings. McLaughlin has never seemed to grasp his chances so I'm not holding out much hope for his international future

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Donald Coyle

why?

Yeah, this 6N has shown we need to use any opportunity to increase the pool of players capable of international rugby. We know all about Jenno and McLaughlin. Maybe a little late for Coughlan, even if his performances deserve recognition.

why?

1. Coughlan is the best 8 in Ireland after Heaslip

2. McLaughlin's 28. 30 by the next World Cup. His age is no reason to write him off, plus he looked very good in NZ (3rd Test aside obviously)

3. Leadership will definitely be required if front line players are rested as posters are suggesting, all three guys have captaincy experience.

On top of that, Ryan will be a very good player I think, but he has had very little rugby over the last while. (I'd probably still bring him though). I've never thought much of Faloon tbh. And, imo, Ruddock is the most overrated player in Ireland. It boggles the mind that he has been included in Ireland squads etc.

Maybe bringing Jenno is a bit pointless, but I think Locky and Coughlan certainly deserve a shot.

I've never thought much of Faloon tbh.

Well he has been excellent this year and half the Connacht fans vote for Player of the Year. Came to Galway from Belfast and just hit the ground running.

its_phil wrote: »
    Well he has been excellent this year and half the Connacht fans vote for Player of the Year. Came to Galway from Belfast and just hit the ground running.

I'm not doubting you, I haven't seen a lot of him this year due to lack of Connacht on TV, but whenever I've seen him he's been average.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'm not doubting you, I haven't seen a lot of him this year due to lack of Connacht on TV, but whenever I've seen him he's been average.
    I would rate him as one of Ireland's (all four provinces) most improved players since last season.

Not sure it would translate at international level though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

I would rate him as one of Ireland's (all four provinces) most improved players since last season.

Not sure it would translate at international level though.

Haven't seen much of Faloon since he left Ulster but while at Ulster he was a good player but my main gripe with him was that he always seemed to miss a couple of tackles in every game he played. I'm not sure either that he would cut it at international unfortunately.

Advertisement