Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2013

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,028 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yes BMCS has no security protocol: users could upload details of others for their buildings etc.

No checks of Designer, Builder or Assigned Certifier on #BCMS | BRegs Blog
    http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2014/03/04/no-checks-of-designer-builder-or-assigned-certifier-on-bcms/

stumbling from one calamity to another....

anybody with a grudge against someone could go and post a completely fictitious project up on the registry.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Hairy mellon

i think its important not to urge anyone to misuse or abuse the system. The problems, however, are pretty apparent.

I think this should be of particular concern to practices say on the homebond register of professionals. Unscrupulous persons could use their details without their knowledge etc.

In fairness to local authorities this system was only introduced last week, when many commenced road testing. I am amazed it actually works. It takes me around a week to set up a new printer...

however this is pretty serious. Its a key element in SI.9 for protection of the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

I registered as Builder and Other, which is correct imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

Do you mean registered with CIF or registered on BCMS site?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

BCMS it gives you two options Builder on Register or other.

• Advertisement

You are now a builder

I think I'll go on and register as an architect

( only joking no one would ever,ever,ever do that )

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

4Sticks wrote: »
    I think I'll go on and register as an architect
    ( only joking no one would ever,ever,ever do that )

You'd have Graby and his minions down your throat! :P

...I think I will go an register as a builder...just in case!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,130 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I'm struggling to even get into the BCMS, it keeps coming up as page does not exist or suchlike.... very frustrating.
    I wonder will it allow me register as an Architect despite the fact i'm not RIAI registered?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

.... or upload drawings of the Eifel Tower ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭youwhoglue

A little birdy just told me the DoE is not happy with Hogan.
    Watch this space for all public buildings with planning but not commenced. :eek:

please explain? exemption from si9 perhaps?

youwhoglue wrote: »
    Watch this space for all public buildings with planning but not commenced. :eek:

Id imagine it means re tenders

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

youwhoglue wrote: »

I got wind last week there is a bit of panic around commencement notices on public projects. Could be a potential quagmire.

Nobody wants to sign as owner I bet

Nobody wants to sign as owner I bet

Very Good point

Kilkenny Journal: THE BAD NEWS: Up to 50,000 extra to build your house! BC(A)R SI.9 | BRegs Blog
    http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2014/03/05/kilkenny-herald-the-bad-news-up-to-50000-extra-to-build-your-house-bcar-si-9/

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Andrew_Doran

Kilkenny Journal: THE BAD NEWS: Up to 50,000 extra to build your house! BC(A)R SI.9 | BRegs Blog
    http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2014/03/05/kilkenny-herald-the-bad-news-up-to-50000-extra-to-build-your-house-bcar-si-9/

Meanwhile, in Northern Ireland:
    Levy cuts to help hard-working people build their own home

From today (24 February 2014) self-builders will be exempt from paying a levy which until now was placed on most new buildings over a certain size

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/levy-cuts-to-help-hard-working-people-build-their-own-home.

Looks like the first consolidated senior council advice is out on the final implemented version of SI9. Its not pretty. Who will take on the certifier roles? Will there be enough professionals to do these roles?

http://bregsforum.wordpress.com/2014/03/05/legal-advice-on-bcar-si-9/

“ but there must be a significant prospect that, at the very least, insurance companies will wish to reflect the increased risk for certifiers in the premium paid. Whether those premiums will be affordable by certifiers is another matter. One suspects that the proposed new system relies upon the certifier having professional indemnity insurance. If such insurance is not available to the certifier at acceptable rates, the rationale for the new regime will be entirely undermined.”

now where have we read speculation like that before ?

• Advertisement

probably previous senior council advice...

in fairness a lot of people have been saying this for a long time

difference now is a senior council is confirming insurance problems

Before then.....

..... long before then

( That post was notes from a public meeting at the DOE to discuss the then draft proposed regs in early 2012 )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

now where have we read speculation like that before ?
    “ but there must be a significant prospect that, at the very least, insurance companies will wish to reflect the increased risk for certifiers in the premium paid.

Nothing unusual there

Whether those premiums will be affordable by certifiers is another matter.

We have yet to see anyone saying their premium has increased
    One suspects that the proposed new system relies upon the certifier having professional indemnity insurance. If such insurance is not available to the certifier at acceptable rates, the rationale for the new regime will be entirely undermined.”

Kind of stating the obvious.

All that is happening here is more speculation on Increasing Premiums, and that what was happening back in 5/12 with the post as highlighted

Until someone posts some actual Premium Increases, this is just more speculation.

probably previous senior council advice...

in fairness a lot of people have been saying this for a long time

difference now is a senior council is confirming insurance problems

Construction professional have been saying this since the start of this process and Hogan has ignored them. The coming weeks and months will tell the tale.

martinn123 wrote: »
    Until someone posts some actual Premium Increases, this is just more speculation.

And your expectation is premiums will ....... ?

apparently at cpd's RIAI have noted there will be 15% increase this year. they have not suggested this is because of BC(A)R SI.9

last year they were saying no increases at all

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

One simple problem...which will probably spook insurers a bit...is that Hogan has said in interviews, basically, that if something goes wrong with your house, that the professionals indemnity insurance will pay up...very simple (but also wrong).

This is not what professional indemnity insurance is for, it is to protect the professional, and yes, if the professional is proven to have been negligent, then pay up (but probably not before a trip to the courts).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

And your expectation is premiums will ....... ?

Increase, to take account of Increased Risks, that's how Insurance works.

As to whether it will be unaffordable, massive, or in line with some speculation here, I cannot say

i talked to actuary about this last week

currently he is working on programmes to work out premia for insurance products in eu

for instances like this where new regulation comes out and industry is unsure about legal interpretations it is normal procedure to gradually over a 3 year period increase premiums up by 50%- simple hedge against increased claims etc.

by this time there should be some legal precedents set and then further increases are looked at based on information through the courts.

proposed 15% increase for 2014 is in line with this assessment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭youwhoglue

please explain? exemption from si9 perhaps?
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    Id imagine it means re tenders
    strongback wrote: »
    I got wind last week there is a bit of panic around commencement notices on public projects. Could be a potential quagmire.

Let's just say any designer / certifier with half a brain would have submitted extra costs for the extra responsibility and site visits required to comply with new regs that was not allowed for in HSE and DOE tender documentation. There must be a mountain of fee letters in DoE and HSE.

Thus there is more ammo for Hogan to blame Designers / Certifiers down the line.

IMO these Regs are purely to protect the government and Civil/Public Service and should have been phased in. Eg. Multi Unit Buildings and Public Buildings first followed by Industrial and further on Private dwellings after say 18 months as the possibility and consequences for bad construction roughly follow that hierarchy.

This would also have allowed the Government to lead the way on implementation also.

Instead it's a mess.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement