Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building Control (Amendment) Regulations 2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

mandy gall wrote: »
    Id say it's mahem in the DOE offices - thanks to Phil.

I'd say it's mayhem thanks to DoE staff: they drafted it, Bully Phil just signed it.

So it's their own fault.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

kceire wrote: »
    It was always my understanding that the council would release hold over individual houses for sales once contributions are paid.

I understand exactly what you mean - but contributions are applied by the Planning Act, so if they are not paid how can I be refused a cert saying I've complied with the Building Control Act if all is in order?? Only way to deal with non-payment of contributions is warning letters / enforcement.

Not trying to be argumentative by the way - just trying to tease it out.

As an aside one issue I had with the RIAI 'training' was the implication that the assigned certifier had to be in place at planning stage - ie they're going to be saying to clients that technologists etc cannot submit the planning applications either? Next target for them perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

martinn123 wrote: »
    Well at least you won't be submitting a "massively increased invoice".

Don't you mean "wildly exaggerated invoice"? :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

martinn123 wrote: »
    Well at least you won't be submitting a "massively increased invoice".

For us lowly qs's the chance to submit an invoice alone is a wonderful thing irrespective of the massive nature of it ........

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Ask Phil Hogan! :pac:

Well believe it or not RICS have a Chartership for Building Control Surveyors, I should know I am hopefully getting mine soon . It is the only foreign qualification / Charter recognised here in Australia. I am thinking I might apply to the surveyors register in Ireland for the crack when I get it. If they don't let me on I will get the RICS involved!! There are plenty of Building Control Surveyors in the UK they might want to set up as certifiers in Ireland!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭kkelliher

No6 wrote: »
    Well believe it or not RICS have a Chartership for Building Control Surveyors, I should know I am hopefully getting mine soon . It is the only foreign qualification / Charter recognised here in Australia. I am thinking I might apply to the surveyors register in Ireland for the crack when I get it. If they don't let me on I will get the RICS involved!! There are plenty of Building Control Surveyors in the UK they might want to set up as certifiers in Ireland!!

You can get the rics as involved as you like but they dont directly operate in ireland as they have a relationship with the scsi and as the scsi dont have a building control surveyor section i dont see why you think they should. Getting on the surveyor register is possible for most people you might just have to go through a process but even getting on it does not mean you can be an approved certifier as you have to be an architect engineer or building surveyor

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭shane6977

kkelliher wrote: »
    You can get the rics as involved as you like but they dont directly operate in ireland as they have a relationship with the scsi and as the scsi dont have a building control surveyor section i dont see why you think they should. Getting on the surveyor register is possible for most people you might just have to go through a process but even getting on it does not mean you can be an approved certifier as you have to be an architect engineer or building surveyor

The statutory register in the building control act 2007 is a register of building surveyors, not surveyors in general.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Not being one for gossip and rumour! :p But...there was a bit of a buzz on Twitter last night that a SI is to be published this week derogating, i.e. exempting, some or all healthcare and educational building projects from the new regulations.

Only speculation at this stage, but it did come from an 'informed' source...would be pretty damming if it did come to pass!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭mandy gall

Not being one for gossip and rumour! :p But...there was a bit of a buzz on Twitter last night that a SI is to be published this week derogating, i.e. exempting, some or all healthcare and educational building projects from the new regulations.

Only speculation at this stage, but it did come from an 'informed' source...would be pretty damming if it did come to pass!

Wow! Maybe they'll publish a SI next week exempting self builds...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Doubt it, I'm afraid. I doubt there is a 'Minister for Self Builds' contacting the DOE and asking WTF! :)

• Advertisement

Somebody did speculate on Twitter last night that we may see lots of planning applications for one off/4-bed hospitals around the country and then, at a later stage, change of use applications to domestic dwellings. :P

• Subscribers Posts: 41,028 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

So it would be a case of the government telling us to "do what we say, not what we do" ;)

The can of worms would be opened further

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

You see the type of civil servant who produced this SI is not the type of man who will sign his name as "Owner". Responsibility is for others. Owners designers and builders are responsible in Irish law for the buildings they own/design/build. But nobody wants to own schools and hospitals

4Sticks wrote: »
    You see the type of civil servant who produced this SI is not the type of man who will sign his name as "Owner". Responsibility is for others. Owners designers and builders are responsible in Irish law for the buildings they own/design/build. But nobody wants to own schools and hospitals

That did strike me as a bit of a stumbling issue for government procured projects...they probably considered signing 'the people of Ireland' as 'owner'?

Im gonna put planning app in 4 a self build small school for dumb ministers..:D

SI is to be published this week derogating, i.e. exempting, some or all healthcare and educational building projects from the new regulations.

Here it is!!!

SI 105 2014 - BUILDING CONTROL (AMENDMENT) (No. 2)
    REGULATIONS 2014.

These Regulations provide for alternative but equivalent means
    of complying with the requirements under the Building Control
    Regulations 1997 to 2014 to assign a person to inspect and
    certify the works (the Assigned Certifier) in line with a plan
    lodged at commencement and implemented during construction.

The alternative means of compliance applies to a limited range
    of public and privately owned buildings classified as first, second
    or third level places of education, hospitals or primary care
    centres.

http://www.irisoifigiuil.ie/currentissues/Ir070314.PDF

What a fupping joke! :(

What next, derogation for mult-nationals?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,130 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Dont be surprised if something along those lines comes to pass. The multi nationals have huge financial leverage & if SI.9 holds up large investment you can be sure they'll apply pressure for exemption under the threat of taking their business elsewhere, low corporate tax or not they like to have all the rules in their favour, trust me, they make up 95% of our client base & they like things run their way.

The new amendment isnt that much of a surprise IMO, TBH if SI.9 was structured in anything like a competent way such an exclusion would have been included anyway to get around the ownership issue if nothing else.

The only way SI.9 will change any further is via the legal challenge route IMO. Until then, we'll be forced to make do, as nonsensical as it is, it's here, so we may as well deal with it as best we can & move on until somebofy has the €'s & the will to challenge it properly.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

And how do you think our fearless public sector and political class will enforce actions against multi-nationals ?

Hogans aim was one fold only - protect the state from any citizen who is nuisance enough to buy a bad house or apartment.
    And then calls it consumer Protection. He p*****s on us and tells us it's raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

The alternative means of compliance applies to a limited range of public and privately owned buildings classified as first, second or third level places of education, hospitals or primary care
    centres

an absolute ******* disgrace :mad:

Next time Phil or anyone else refers to the 2 years of 'preparation, consultation and training' all we have to do is point to the fact that an amendment was required 1 week after enactment!! Joke of a department.

• Advertisement

Corkblowin wrote: »
    an absolute ******* disgrace :mad:

Next time Phil or anyone else refers to the 2 years of 'preparation, consultation and training' all we have to do is point to the fact that an amendment was required 1 week after enactment!! Joke of a department.

technically thats the THIRD amendment

SI 80 first
    SI 9 next
    now
    SI SI 105

as i seem to say a lot these days, if it wasnt so serious, it would be hilarious!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭Drift

An "Oversight Group" to decide what is appropriate in these cases.

Nice and vague!!!

The alternative means of compliance applies only to projects
    subject to each of the following circumstances:—

(i) planning permission, where applicable, has been
    obtained before 1 March, 2014;
    (ii) contract documents have been signed before
    1 November, 2014; and
    (iii) a valid commencement notice has been lodged with the
    building control authority no later than 1 March, 2015.

To be fair to the Minister (that does choke me to say that) this SI 105 2014 is only putting in place Transitional Arrangement.
    On the face of it anyway these building projects will fall under SI 9 2014 in due course.

To be fair to the Minister (that does choke me to say that) this SI 105 2014 is only putting in place Transitional Arrangement.
    On the face of it anyway these building projects will fall under SI 9 2014 in due course.

agreed, but it doesnt excuse the fact that transitional arrangements should have been introduced for all types of development to allow a for a 'bedding in' and 'problem solving' aspect to the new regs.

They are the most ground breaking laws to be introduced in relation to building control since 1990 yet the assumptions from the complilers of the legislation are staggering.

True. (to the post above Syds) But why are other large projects (and small ones) not entitled to transitional arrangements?

This is to prevent these large public projects having to be retendered at added cost in both professional fees and construction costs.

What about private projects? The government aren't paying for them so they don't care!

Absolutely.Hogan is a clown and a bully.And what do bullys do when confronted - cave in.

So - over to ye all self builders out there. Let the would be LA councilors know , when they claim "shock/horror"
    at these new regs what you think of them for being asleep at the wheel during the upcoming LA elections.
    Make democracy work. Ask them when they seek your vote - what will you DO about it now ?

A little off topic but if you're a contractor tendering for public jobs expect to be busy over the summer so that they can get a lot of contracts signed before November!!

A little mini-boom!

Absolutely.Hogan is a clown and a bully.And what do bullys do when confronted - cave in.
    :D
    So - over to ye all self builders out there. Let the would be LA councilors know , when they claim "shock/horror"
    at these new regs what you think of them for being asleep at the wheel during the upcoming LA elections.
    Make democracy work. Ask them when they seek your vote - what will you DO about it now ?

Certainly will - i have my brolly by the front door waiting for them and to shelter my from Hogans p***!

• Advertisement

Certainly will - i have my brolly by the front door waiting for them and to shelter my from Hogans p***!

Sorry...shelter ME from his p***

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement