Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So the 2013 HC winners are....

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Toulon
    Even going back before Leinster's time, when Munster won in 08, we finished level with them on 19 points in the group, but went through on a better head to head, they owe the Irish provinces big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

molloyjh wrote: »
    Clermont have plenty of respect for Munster. And the game on Sunday would have ensured that they don't expect an easy ride. Tbh I don't get this "all the pressure is on Clermont" at all. There's massive talk now about Munster being "back" (after one fecking game) and yet they have to go away to France, to the form team in the competition, to the side that are favourites to win the HEC, who have the loudest and most intimidating fans along with some of the biggest, fittest and most physical players in the NH. And if they don't get a result over there their season is over. Clermont aren't going to break their Leinster duck only to have another Irish province deny them what they deserve in a shock defeat. Munster have it all to do. The pressure is on them.

Gonna be a great game I think... Bodies will be sore after it, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Munster
    Worst home game in four years - and Clermont's solitary loss in a home fixture in their last sixty home games was in last year's semi, where they lost by a single score to a Leinster team that won their quarter by 31 points and the final by 28. A below-par Clermont can still beat an on-song Munster; it needs to be more than that.

Surely last year's semi-final was played away from Clermont's home ground as semis must be played on neutral venues? Edit: it was played in Bordeaux.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭TheVman

Munster
    last years semi was in bordeaux's Chaban Delmas stadium not in Marcel Michelin. As the last post states semi finals are on neutral territory.

I was in brodeaux for the match, do aggree that fofana made a balls up in the last seconds of the match avoided the last try and eventual victory for Clermont (ASM Rugby)

Clermont are a red hot team at the moment in every position and will be raging for a first European title. Also Vern Cotter is an outstanding coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭TheVman

Munster
    Is this the official Clermont Munster thread ?
    So who's going to Montpellier to be with the Red Army and roar Stand up and Fight ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

Surely last year's semi-final was played away from Clermont's home ground as semis must be played on neutral venues? Edit: it was played in Bordeaux.

Was played in Bordeaux, but still nominally classed as a "home" game; I think the rule is that you can't use your usual home stadium. Leinster's 2011 semi against Toulouse in the Aviva wasn't a neutral venue in the slightest, for example. This year's isn't in the Marcel Michelin, which is a huge boost to Munster, but Clermont will be thinking of this as a home game and so will their fans.

Incidentally, I feel bad for Toulon and Saracens. No matter who wins between Munster and Clermont, the winners will regard Lansdowne Road as a home from home and will command the bulk of the neutral support. Imagine getting to the final and realising you're facing a Munster team that just defenestrated the prohibitive favourites and are going to have tens of thousands of Irish fans, or a Clermont team that have exorcised almost all their ghosts and who are effectively in a long-distance relationship with the native rugby fans of Dublin and Leinster...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Toulon
    Was played in Bordeaux, but still nominally classed as a "home" game; I think the rule is that you can't use your usual home stadium. Leinster's 2011 semi against Toulouse in the Aviva wasn't a neutral venue in the slightest, for example. This year's isn't in the Marcel Michelin, which is a huge boost to Munster, but Clermont will be thinking of this as a home game and so will their fans.

Incidentally, I feel bad for Toulon and Saracens. No matter who wins between Munster and Clermont, the winners will regard Lansdowne Road as a home from home and will command the bulk of the neutral support. Imagine getting to the final and realising you're facing a Munster team that just defenestrated the prohibitive favourites and are going to have tens of thousands of Irish fans, or a Clermont team that have exorcised almost all their ghosts and who are effectively in a long-distance relationship with the native rugby fans of Dublin and Leinster...

I agree, I would say a lot will be hoping Clermont beat Munster too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Munster
    Was played in Bordeaux, but still nominally classed as a "home" game; I think the rule is that you can't use your usual home stadium.

Bit of a digression here but there's no rule against using your usual stadium; ERC officially pick the ground and it just has to be in the country of the home team and have a capacity of 20,000. The 20,000 capacity rules out 99% of 'home' rugby grounds (only Welford Road really springs to mind) hence most semis are at neutral venues.

• Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Munster
    Rightwing wrote: »
    If Clermont play like they did v Ulster last year or Leinster, Munster can win, the problem I see is that they could raise it 2 or 3 notches up from that. Then we're in trouble, regardless of how we play.
    If Clermont play against Munster like they did in the semi last year against Leinster then they will beat Munster.

Munster need to really up their game but at the same time hope Clermont choke a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Munster
    Rightwing wrote: »
    I agree, I would say a lot will be hoping Clermont beat Munster too.

I'm sure some will. Personally I'm a little conflicted. I want to see an Irish side in the final, but at the same time Clermont are just so deserving of it this season that I can't help but wish them well. They're playing some seriously great rugby. And if you compare them to any of the other sides that played at the weekend they were easily the most entertaining.

But then again an Irish side in the final.... :o

• Advertisement

Also Clermont's journey to a possible HEC victory reminds us of the journey Munster endured to get their cup in 2006.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Bit of a digression here but there's no rule against using your usual stadium; ERC officially pick the ground and it just has to be in the country of the home team and have a capacity of 20,000. The 20,000 capacity rules out 99% of 'home' rugby grounds (only Welford Road really springs to mind) hence most semis are at neutral venues.

Is it so? 20 000 is the lower "limit" ?

In that case Clermont should really try to make the Stade Marcel-Michelin host 20 000. I think the full capacity today is around 18 000 so they're not far off. And looking at their record in that staidum it'll be an additional plus for them when the draw gives them a home 1/2f.

iroced wrote: »

In that case Clermont should really try to make the Stade Marcel-Michelin host 20 000. I think the full capacity today is around 18 000 so they're not far off. And looking at their record in that staidum it'll be an additional plus for them when the draw gives them a home 1/2f.

Where would they put that extra seating? The stadium is already hobbled together with stands ontop of stands... It's actually a bit comical already! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Saracens
    trouttrout wrote: »
    You think that's a bad thing?

Clermont strong favorites but if we put the jitters on them anything could happen. I think they're head and shoulders above Munster and Saracens though.

Bad thing if you want Clermont to win. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

.ak wrote: »
    Where would they put that extra seating? The stadium is already hobbled together with stands ontop of stands... It's actually a bit comical already! :D

Yeah I know but I'm surprised that when they renovated the stadium a couple of years ago they didn't completely close the corners. I don't know if they could have reached the 20 000 with that but I found this article (in French) prior to their top 14 victory 3 years ago that is talking about the debate of a 30 000 stadium for a place like Clermont.
    => http://www.newsauvergne.com/actu_print.php?id=274

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Munster

Even if they got to 20,000, the ERC could well decided to pick somewhere larger for it to go anyway.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Munster

lower limit but the ERC still pick. Remember Munster had home country advantage when it was Munster vs Leinster and Thomond was available

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Saracens
    There is no way I am backing anyone other then my team. I always have hope :p

It's 80 minutes of cup rugby, anything could happen. We now see a Munster team with belief and strong team spirit. This makes them a dangerous outfit. We've beaten Clermont before and will again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

.ak wrote: »

I think it looks class though.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Munster
    I can't see past Clermont. They are playing some class of rugby this season.

• Advertisement

P_1 wrote: »
    I think it looks class though.

Defo, I love it. Straight out of a Judge Dredd comic book though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Munster
    Mes condoléances :pac:

It's not that bad a place. I lived there long ago, when the Heineken Cup was no more than an itch in Father Rugby's pants. Roasting in summer and frigid in winter, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Munster
    Seems an abnormal amount of people misclicked Munster instead of Clermont

Advertisement