Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So the 2013 HC winners are....

Options
  • 08-04-2013 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

So the 2013 HC semi finalists are Munster, Clermont, Toulon and Saracens. So we have a Good Guys Semi Final Clermont V Munster and a Bad guys semi final Saracens V Toulon.

So who is your pick for the title

Who will win the title 233 votes

Clermont
    2%
    irishbucsfansnollupdanthefanits_philjimbomalleyLightningBlue 6 votes
    Munster
    75%
    RobboKulganCrash[Deleted User]justsomeblokepickarooney[Deleted User]bren2002SundycpSuprSiHippocruiserweightThetaOtaconSpudmonkeyPhoneheadmelekalikimakaprospectRandolphEsq 176 votes
    Saracens
    20%
    GamblerdreginpuntosportingefbbmmClaremanCrowdedHousebuck65murphym7blegCoDy1omega666arodabombLuckyCharmsScrubsfanChrisMonsterMobtijuanaboozerAwayWithFariespmurphy00Garseys 47 votes
    Toulon
    1%
    ArmaniJeanssHagzQwertyIIIRightwing 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

So the 2014 HC semi finalists are Munster, Clermont, Toulon and Saracens. So we have a Good Guys Semi Final Clermont V Munster and a Bad guys semi final Saracens V Toulon.

So who is your pick for the title

Too late to edit that now, ha! Also, poll? :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Saracens
    .ak wrote: »
    Too late to edit that now, ha! Also, poll? :P

Just can't get the help anymore

Munster
    Picked Clermont in September. Nothing much has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

Munster
    Clermont for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Clermont but, if one team are currently set up to stop them, it's Saracens. They're not in the same breath as them as a team but they're incredibly hard working and frustrating. Their defence never stops and they can take their opportunities off the tee. If it was any other stage, I'd say there was no hope but Clermont do have a history of choking. I'd say 75% sure that Clermont will win it but there's a chance.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,553 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Munster
    Clermont, but would have voted for the "anyone but Saracens" option.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Munster
    I could certainly see Saracens winning the damn thing.

However I'm putting my faith in Clermont albeit I'd like to see Munster win.

Saracens to beat Toulon, Clermont to beat Munster and Clermont to beat Saracens in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rchendz92

Saracens
    I'm going for Munster. Gut feeling/Irish bias.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,253 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Munster
    Why are Toulon the bad guys again? Is it because of Bakkies and Delon or something else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Munster
    Why are Toulon the bad guys again? Is it because of Bakkies and Delon or something else?
    IMO it's because they used their wealth to buy talent rather than grow it themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,767 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Munster
    rchendz92 wrote: »
    I'm going for Munster. Gut feeling/Irish bias.

They always say never write Munster off and rightly so but I'll say this, if they go to France and beat Clermont it will IMO blow all their other achievements out of the water. In saying that if they do manage to pull it off against Clermont I'd back them to win the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

Saracens
    Clermont are clear favourites, which might work against them against Munster. I just can see ROG kicking a drop goal to win Munster that match. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭peterako

Munster
    Voted Clermont.....

But am loath to write Munster off........

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Who's reffing the semi in France? That could mean an awful lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭rchendz92

Saracens
    bilston wrote: »
    They always say never write Munster off and rightly so but I'll say this, if they go to France and beat Clermont it will IMO blow all their other achievements out of the water. In saying that if they do manage to pull it off against Clermont I'd back them to win the final.

I agree, but I would have put anything on Quins beating them. Would just be so bloody typical of Munster to win Europe in probably their most off-form season in recent memory!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Toulon
    All I can see is a Saracens win unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Munster
    Garseys wrote: »
    Clermont are clear favourites, which might work against them against Munster. I just can see ROG kicking a drop goal to win Munster that match. :(

You think that's a bad thing?

Clermont strong favorites but if we put the jitters on them anything could happen. I think they're head and shoulders above Munster and Saracens though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Clermont
    Clermont look the strongest side in it imo, Toulon have a stupidly strong XV though too. One or the other I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Clermont
    danthefan wrote: »
    Clermont look the strongest side in it imo, Toulon have a stupidly strong XV though too. One or the other I reckon.

I don't think Saracens can be ruled out either. As frustrating as they are, that is funnily enough their greatest asset. They just seem to grind down teams and get the result they want in the most painful way for spectators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Munster
    I just can't see past Clermont. They got a bit of a wake-up call in the opening half-hour against Montpellier and I think they'll be primed for Munster. The fact that the game is not in Clermont is the only chink of light for Munster but I don't think it will be enough. It's a pity the draw fell as it did because I'd say Munster would fancy a pop off either Toulon or Saracens based on what we saw this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Munster
    bilston wrote: »

Beating Clermont in a semi in France is easy. Been there, done that.
    Hersheys wrote: »
    IMO it's because they used their wealth to buy talent rather than grow it themselves.

As opposed to Clermont, who don't spend extortionate amounts on foreign imports...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,197 ✭✭✭✭Buer

tolosenc wrote: »
    As opposed to Clermont, who don't spend extortionate amounts on foreign imports...

Exactly. Toulon are more outspoken and flash with their money but lets not pretend that Clermont are a home grown team. Rougerie is the Clermont player in the side. The rest are buy ins. Or Montpellier, the small side that are owned by a guy who is worth over €300m and has invested personally in the team. The majority of their side has joined the club in the last 3 years along with the coaching team who didn't come cheap.

It runs throughout French rugby. Toulon are just the easy target due to the players they sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Neoulous

Munster
    Clermont has to be the standout favorite. That being said Munster will be a real test for them. They have the experience and the kind of "negative" playing to annoy them. If they make it to the final Toulon will be the same. Saracens I have no idea. I haven't seen them play enough and don't know them very well...

tolosenc wrote: »
    Beating Clermont in a semi in France is easy. Been there, done that.

Not sure if ironical but does what you said mean it was easy for Leinster last year ? Because if my memory serves me right Leinster went through just for Fofana not being able to unfold his elbow and score Clermont winning try...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Munster

Would you support an Irish province if it was virtually devoid of Irish players? I'd even wonder (but have no idea) whether the French players in the Toulon team were even born in the region.

All teams benefit from imports, but Toulon take the piss if you ask me - it's basically a lucrative retirement home for ex-3N and English internationals.

However, I'm told their ground and the crowd support is top drawer, so they have that going for them. Rather suspect they have a full-time translator, and press conferences in English, though.

I'll be gunning for whoever wins out of Munster & Clermont, that is for certain.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Neoulous

Munster
    Swiwi wrote: »
    Would you support an Irish province if it was virtually devoid of Irish players? I'd even wonder (but have no idea) whether the French players in the Toulon team were even born in the region.

All teams benefit from imports, but Toulon take the piss if you ask me - it's basically a lucrative retirement home for ex-3N and English internationals.

I see your point but I think you're looking at it the wrong way.

You just can not compare the Irish Provinces and the French clubs. Selecting the "local" players between 4 and ~ 20 clubs is not the same thing.

Regarding the money involved I think we should also include the local tax and charges regime. Otherwise it has no sense.

In France, Toulouse and Clermont are attracting most of the top French players. So to compete the "new rich" clubs (Toulon & Racing) have to "buy" foreign players. Toulon and Racing want to grow fast so they started with quickly building a strong team with their cash power (Stade Francais did the same 15 years ago). But if they want to last they'll have to develop an academy to "make" good players out of the local players. Boudjelal has a huge project of building a big academy in the south east of France. Actually Toulon has already started, their young teams are doing very well. But Boudjelal's recruitment is overshadowing this fact in the media.

Of course on the other hand when you see the long term progression of a team like Montpellier with many key players coming from the local academy it is more enhancive (and it's not my friend iroced who will tell me otherwise :P). But I always find it hard to criticize a guy like Boudjelal and I think a lot of the criticism against Toulon are coming from the huge conservatism of the rugby world. You know "we" don't like to share and having a "new" club battling for the titles is "annoying". All these people should maybe just have a look at RCT history :rolleyes:.

Defending Toulon as a USAP fan is weird but I think it's a rapid shortcut ignoring completely the context to say that Toulon are buying their successes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,791 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Didn't the last final to be played in dublin involve 2 french teams?

Omen...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Saracens
    .ak wrote: »
    Who's reffing the semi in France? That could mean an awful lot...

Nigel Owens. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Clermont
    If the provinces had the permission and money I've no doubt they'd be buying all the top class NIQs they could get their hands on.

Something I've had an issue with for years is this "mercenary" tag that some Irish fans in particular like to use. It's absolutely ridiculous to use a pejorative term for someone trying to maximise their income. Not to mention guys like Elsom and JdV would fit the description perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Munster
    Neoulous wrote: »
    I see your point but I think you're looking at it the wrong way.

You just can not compare the Irish Provinces and the French clubs. Selecting the "local" players between 4 and ~ 20 clubs is not the same thing.

Regarding the money involved I think we should also include the local tax and charges regime. Otherwise it has no sense.

In France, Toulouse and Clermont are attracting most of the top French players. So to compete the "new rich" clubs (Toulon & Racing) have to "buy" foreign players. Toulon and Racing want to grow fast so they started with quickly building a strong team with their cash power (Stade Francais did the same 15 years ago). But if they want to last they'll have to develop an academy to "make" good players out of the local players. Boudjelal has a huge project of building a big academy in the south east of France. Actually Toulon has already started, their young teams are doing very well. But Boudjelal's recruitment is overshadowing this fact in the media.

Of course on the other hand when you see the long term progression of a team like Montpellier with many key players coming from the local academy it is more enhancive (and it's not my friend iroced who will tell me otherwise :P). But I always find it hard to criticize a guy like Boudjelal and I think a lot of the criticism against Toulon are coming from the huge conservatism of the rugby world. You know "we" don't like to share and having a "new" club battling for the titles is "annoying". All these people should maybe just have a look at RCT history :rolleyes:.

Defending Toulon as a USAP fan is weird but I think it's a rapid shortcut ignoring completely the context to say that Toulon are buying their successes.

Merci bien Neoulous pour cette explication détaillée. Au fait, on vous attend avec plaisir chez nous en juin pour ces rematchs de la finale da la coupe du monde de rugby. J'espère quand même que vous allez faire une meilleure prestation par rapport au tournoi des 6N!

(mods, in the spirit of rugby fraternity, please permit this brief foray away from English...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Nermal

Neoulous wrote: »

Indeed. They have 13 times our population, and access to talent from various former and current colonies in Polynesia and Africa. They should be fielding 52 clubs on roughly equal footing with the Irish provinces without having to buy anywhere near the talent they do.

Advertisement