Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCT The Sillyness needs to end

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Agree with this!
    NCT should depend on the condition of the car, not its age.
    A car that's over 10yrs old but very well looked after and has been thoroughly fixed will be in a better condition than a 5 or 6yr old car that has been driven thousands of miles or has been thrashed around everywhere and been looked after very poorly by the owner.

Just because the car is older than 10yrs is no reason to be paying an extra 55eur to maintain it every year for what is a very basic check up.

How are they going to deem the condition of the car unless they can see it.?That can only be done if the car is brought into them. And that can only be done if a person is legally required to bring in the car for some sort of test. Hmmm, only this could be done on some sort of annual or biennial basis…

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

My diesel failed the NCT last year due to the emissions being slightly off, I also got a warning re one of my tyres
    (that may need replacing) before the next NCT, fair enough . . . .

I got the emissions sorted, the car had passed its NCT and I drove home a happy driver. Looking in the rear view mirror as I drove home
    in the rain I smiled as I noticed that the rear wiper rubber blade was in tatters, literally the rubber had perished and was in tatters,
    but hey I had my NCT and the emissions were sorted :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    How can a nut be the wrong way around? You'll have to explain this further?
    The fancy chromed ones cannot go on the wrong way but the cheaper plain steel ones can due to the threaded hole going all the way through. The taper would be facing out and therefore not supporting the wheel properly. Although the centre of the wheel locates on the hub and provides support, the tapered holes do too.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Eeeyore wrote: »
    Explain to me why it is important that a little LED light on my Dashboard works or not if this is a safety Test and meant to determine if a Car is Road Worthy or not how many Road accidents have been the cause of a non working LED Light, The cost is not the issue here how about wasting my time it is just people having a slight bit of power and just deciding to fail on silly things, sure when I brought it back your man who did pass it seemed surprised it was failed on that so a bloody Jobsworth failed it if you ask me.

So fog lights are working proberly and people know when it's on,a malfunctioning bulb could mean a faulty circuit presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,833 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

All the little loopholes are closing fast. Wont matter about the Guards pulling you in for no NCT, it'll be a case of if you don't have any of tax, insurance, or NCT you wont be able to apply for any other, ie no tax-no insurance-no NCT-no insurance-no tax.

'Off the road' declarations are gone as well, if you own the car, even if you're using it as a chicken coop, itll need tax on it boss.

My major car based gripe is that my 8 year old Diesel with modern particulate filters which makes it clean and efficient even to todays standards would cost me €390 to tax if it were on a >2008 plate, but because I cant afford to change it for a newer car, costs me €673. Utter bullsh*t.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

davet82 wrote: »
    I don't bother with nct's the guards couldn't give a shyte its only there if they pull somebody in they don't like or the car looks like a death trap

Not true. Or maybe it's the case down the country.

I know two different people who had their cars taken off them there and then because their NCT was so out of date.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Eeeyore

LordSutch wrote: »
    My diesel failed the NCT last year due to the emissions being slightly off, I also got a warning re one of my tyres

I got the emissions sorted, the car had passed its NCT and I drove home a happy driver. Looking in the rear view mirror as I drove home
    in the rain I smiled as I noticed that the rear wiper rubber blade was in tatters, literally the rubber had perished and was in tatters,

That is exactly what I am talking about if it was a standardised Test then fine but it is not as it all depends on the person you get on the Day others may have and I am sure in the past they did not even touch that button to check if the little LED lights up or not, What about cars that do not have little LED lights are they all failed automatically or are they told to update their Dash to a blinking light version seriously give me a break here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Mea culpa - I was mixing my nuts with my bolts. All the cars I've had, have had wheel bolts not wheel nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭kirving

Yawns wrote: »
    Anything that helps to get the worst of the cars off the road.

How far do you want to go with 'worst'? Anything without the best tyres available, anything without ABS, anything without a 5 star crash rating? The most dangerous thing about any car is the driver, so there has to be some reasoning behind the cost and frequency of the testing regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Larbre34 wrote: »
    All the little loopholes are closing fast. Wont matter about the Guards pulling you in for no NCT, it'll be a case of if you don't have any of tax, insurance, or NCT you wont be able to apply for any other, ie no tax-no insurance-no NCT-no insurance-no tax.

Then how are new first time drivers supposed to start off with your catch 22 situation you just pulled out of thin air.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Eeeyore

kneemos wrote: »
    So fog lights are working proberly and people know when it's on,a malfunctioning bulb could mean a faulty circuit presumably.

No because all the other electrics worked and he even said it was a fuse issue or anything like that so not affecting anything else in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,410 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

LordSutch wrote: »

Don't think rear wipers are tested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

I gave my car to my brother and he took it for nct there few weeks ago. It failed because the attachment where the wipers go into were the wrong model for that car. I had that car 5 years and it had 2 ncts - No one ever mentioned it before - Those attachment yolks weren't changed since I got the car like. And they worked perfectly too - Even your man in the nct place told my brother they worked fine, but he needed to get the correct make and model ones for that particular car.
    This, is amazing!
    Whenever i have replaced a wiper i have never replaced it with an original. Not deliberately mind. Just shopped around and got one that was more reasonable. I even bought two sets for out two cars online and all four blades were different. Correct size and fit, just that three were mono blades from different manufacturers and one was the older style cantilevered blade!
    Both cars passed nct.
    I've never cleaned underneath the car either. A run of the hose alright but not up on a hoist and pressure washed! Thats just mad!
    I suppose the nct lads where i go are from the country and know it's impossibru to clean a car like our city brethren.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

anncoates wrote: »
    Not true. Or maybe it's the case down the country.

I know two different people who had their cars taken off them there and then because their NCT was so out of date.

you're friends must be little scumbags then :p

I've driven cars with not even an nct disc in the window and been sailed through many a check point, the cars they must have been driving must have been in really bad condition, once you are taxed and insured most guards will let you away with I just booked the nct even though the disc is out 4 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    How can a nut be the wrong way around? You'll have to explain this further?
    jimmy180sx wrote: »
    I had to read this twice also. Thought maybe someone was having a laugh!!
    I presume the tapered end of the wheel nut was facing inwards.

The Nissan Almera has wheel bolts coming out of the disk and you secure the tyre on them and tighten with the nut (image below)

images.jpg

you're friends must be little scumbags then :p

They know the difference between your and you're, to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

If you think it's bad now just wait till the new wave of emission tightening measures come into play!! The next generation of cars on the way will have duel catalytic converters to add to the crap we already have to put up with! I am just soooo sick of all the rules and regulations here and the ones being imposed on us from the EU. The bottom line is all about control and taxes, comply sheeple and pay ye're taxes or we'll fine ye!!

They know the difference between your and you're, to be fair.

educated scum, lovely ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

How far do you want to go with 'worst'? Anything without the best tyres available, anything without ABS, anything without a 5 star crash rating?

Back before the NCT testing, there was some shower of ****e cars on the road. It's been drastically reduced. How far do I want them to go with it. Once the vehicle is in a safe roadworthy condition would be fine. They do have some stupid fails but generally the stupid ones are a free visual test that can be done by the car owner themselves.
    The most dangerous thing about any car is the driver, so there has to be some reasoning behind the cost and frequency of the testing regime.

I'd be in favour of drivers having to re-sit a driving test every set number of years. I'm sure most of the motorists would fail. How many times when driving do you come across an idiot driver. Wrong lane on motorway, wrong lane on roundabouts, inability to use lights correctly or at all in some cases.

educated scum, lovely ;)

If you had to say that to either of their faces. you;d wet your pants.

Now, run along. The grown-ups are talking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Raggaroo

Driving without an up to date NCT will probably invalidate you insurance if you happen to be in a crash, insurance companies will look for any loophole to invalidate a claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Maybe that is why there are so many pricks driving around with their fog lights on?

Yup, my brother's headlights burned out months ago and he's been driving on his fogs since. Offered to change the bulbs for him, but oh no, he'll 'do it next week!'. And his engine would have exploded if I hadn't suggested he check his oil every few weeks...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Runaway34

I had mine last Thursday in Northpoint and the car failed because the cover off my passenger wing mirror is broken. The mirror works perfectly and the electrics are not affected so I'm stumped as to why it failed. When I questioned this I was told there's a sharp edge exposed which there is not!! So not I've to but a new wing mirror which will cost €75 plus vat and then pay for the labour!!! Absolutely ridiculous

If you had to say that to either of their faces. you;d wet your pants.

Now, run along. The grown-ups are talking.

yeah that's real grown up talk... :pac:

think somebody is having a cranky Monday morning :cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

Raggaroo wrote: »
    Driving without an up to date NCT will probably invalidate you insurance if you happen to be in a crash, insurance companies will look for any loophole to invalidate a claim.

It won't invalidate your insurance. They may try to refuse to pay on your own car if you caused the damage. They must pay out to 3rd parties however.

Otherwise insurance would be invalidated if you were breaking the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

inforfun wrote: »
    NCT centres here have no (financial) interest to fail your car other than maybe for a paid retest.

Wasn't that claim exposed as rubbish years ago when an undercover investigation discovered that their head honchos required a fail rate above xx% meaning that testers had to fail a certain amount of cars to keep the figures up. The only reason they would demand a certain fail rate is for money reasons.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

If you think it's bad now just wait till the new wave of emission tightening measures come into play!! The next generation of cars on the way will have duel catalytic converters to add to the crap we already have to put up with! I am just soooo sick of all the rules and regulations here and the ones being imposed on us from the EU. The bottom line is all about control and taxes, comply sheeple and pay ye're taxes or we'll fine ye!!
    and it keeps the motor industry going too. You can see that with other nations and their testing. Take Japan. If you think our NCT is bad, jeeebus theirs is only mad Ted. One reason why Jap imports were usually in such good condition and was tempting for dodgy gits here(ie most of them) to "clock" the mileage. Plus in Japan, the older the car, the more you incrementally pay for the test, so it makes economic sense to keep updating your car which keeps Toyota San happy.

IMH the emission stuff is a lot of ballsology, or mostly ballsology anyway. It makes eff all difference to the environment when ranged against all the other sources of pollution. Plus manufacturing a car is pretty damn heavy on the environment. IMHO it makes more "green" sense to keep an old car going for half a million miles than to buy a new car every three years.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Larbre34 wrote: »

'Off the road' declarations are gone as well, if you own the car, even if you're using it as a chicken coop, itll need tax on it boss.

My major car based gripe is that my 8 year old Diesel with modern particulate filters which makes it clean and efficient even to todays standards would cost me €390 to tax if it were on a >2008 plate, but because I cant afford to change it for a newer car, costs me €673. Utter bullsh*t.

Already there.

No NCT means your insurance company will not renew your insurance. And no insurance means you can't renew your tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Wibbs wrote: »
    and it keeps the motor industry going too. You can see that with other nations and their testing. Take Japan. If you think our NCT is bad, jeeebus theirs is only mad Ted. One reason why Jap imports were usually in such good condition and was tempting for dodgy gits here(ie most of them) to "clock" the mileage. Plus in Japan, the older the car, the more you incrementally pay for the test, so it makes economic sense to keep updating your car which keeps Toyota San happy.

IMH the emission stuff is a lot of ballsology, or mostly ballsology anyway. It makes eff all difference to the environment when ranged against all the other sources of pollution. Plus manufacturing a car is pretty damn heavy on the environment. IMHO it makes more "green" sense to keep an old car going for half a million miles than to buy a new car every three years.

For the most part it's all about generating revenue, bottom line. Doesn't matter what spin they put on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Wibbs wrote: »

Absolutely agree. Plus the emission have a huge focus on 'greenhouse' gases and none of the other muck that flies through exhausts. I have no issue with most of the NCT but the emissions thing should be dropped - it's much more environmentally friendly to keep an old car running than to manufacture a new one.

Even from a purely economic point of view - much more value to the Irish economy from mechanics being employed to fix older cars vs spending money importing cars. It's just dumb and a waste of money.

Advertisement