Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCT The Sillyness needs to end

Options
  • 08-04-2013 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi all

Ok so this NCT business needs to end I do not mean the test itself but the parts of the test that has no relivence to Road Safety.

I had my NCT on Saturday over I Fonthill all was good the Car had no issues except the guy would not give me the NCT Cert as the Light-bulb on my Rear Fog-light Button on the Dashboard did not light up when pressed. (What) is that really a safety an issue.

Anyway he gave me until 06/05/2013 to bring it back for a visual so that means no extra charge or appointment needed, so I went home and it was annoying me a little so I took the Cover of the Button off the casing exposing the Light-bulb inside I pressed it in and it lit up so I said screw it I will bring this back over now and see what they say so I went back over told them I had a visual inspection your man came out pressed the button it worked and he said that is grant come in and I will give you your Cert.

How can a exposed Dashboard Panel be more safe then an enclosed panel but just not the light -Bulb working on something that quite frankly is insignificant these guys on the NCT must be on a power trip or something.

I would just like to note that this was the Dashboard button light to tell you it is on and not the Rear outside Fog Light itself.

Anyone else had their Car fail on something silly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭john kinsella

They are only doing their jobs.

If the dash light didnt come on then you could be driving around with your fogs on all day without knowing.

Id find that a litlte dangerous if not the most annoying thing ever if i was behind you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Eeeyore wrote: »
    Anyone else had their Car fail on something silly.

Yea, who need good tyres any way...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

Had a car fail because the aerial was broken. I kid you not!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If the dash light didnt come on then you could be driving around with your fogs on all day without knowing.

Id find that a litlte dangerous if not the most annoying thing ever if i was behind you

Maybe that is why there are so many pricks driving around with their fog lights on?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

in fairness, for €55 you get a complete car check to ensure a car is safe to be on the public roads.

The only things that bug me about the nct is that the cost, i thing €55 is too expensive, it should be €35ish ......and that you can't nct a car at any time (only can from when its 3 months early from expiry) and the one year nct on cars over 10 years, a pain in the rocks that is.........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Of course it's a safety issue,your fog light may not be working proberly.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Just be glad with the way it is done here.
    Had to go through the NCT 2x so far, resulting in 1 visual (1 tyre was the wrong way around) and 1 without any issues.

Back in my own country, where the equivalent of the NCT is done by garages, there was always something wrong that needed repair(s).

NCT centres here have no (financial) interest to fail your car other than maybe for a paid retest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

I don't bother with nct's the guards couldn't give a shyte its only there if they pull somebody in they don't like or the car looks like a death trap

under 1% of fatal/serious injury car crashes could be connected to defective (no nct) vehicle (5 penalty points)

over 40% of fatal/serious injury car crashes connected to no seat belt (2 penalty points)

heard that on the last word a few months back, tells a story really where the priorities lie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

MidlandsM wrote: »
    in fairness, for €55 you get a complete car check to ensure a car is safe to be on the public roads.

The only things that bug me about the nct is that the cost, i thing €55 is too expensiver, it should be €35ish ......and that you can't nct a car at any time (only can from when its 3 months early) and the one year nct on cars over 1o years, a pain in the rocks that is.........

In the one post you've managed to praise that you can get a complete car check for only €55 whilst also complain that the cost is too high...

Yawns wrote: »
    In the one post you've managed to praise that you can get a complete car check for only €55 whilst also complain that the cost is too high...

yeah, so - im praising the ethos of the test, but just saying its a tad dear as you can mot a car in the uk for £30.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I gave my car to my brother and he took it for nct there few weeks ago. It failed because the attachment where the wipers go into were the wrong model for that car. I had that car 5 years and it had 2 ncts - No one ever mentioned it before - Those attachment yolks weren't changed since I got the car like. And they worked perfectly too - Even your man in the nct place told my brother they worked fine, but he needed to get the correct make and model ones for that particular car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

if they're so concerned about safety it should be free, we pay enough motor tax anyways!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,168 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Got my car NCTd a few weeks ago and it passed but I too did not get the cert cos I didn't have my licence with me (it was in the OHs car).

I know they are only doing their job, but a little OTT for me.

I heard the person before me get their FAIL report and I heard the guy saying that there was a jagged edge on their number plate (although not sure if this alone caused the FAIL).

yeah, so - im praising the ethos of the test, but just saying its a tad dear as you can mot a car in the uk for £30.

But the MOT is done by garages over there and it's in their interest to find something wrong so they can hope to get you to part with more cash for repairs that may or may not be needed.

Plus with the way our prices over here are generally more expensive due to higher overheads and wages etc, €55 would prob be the equivalent cost in terms of the £30 being charged in the UK.

But the MOT is done by garages over there and it's in their interest to find something wrong so they can hope to get you to part with more cash for repairs that may or may not be needed.

Plus with the way our prices over here are generally more expensive due to higher overheads and wages etc, €55 would prob be the equivalent cost in terms of the £30 being charged in the UK.

no

no

Ok you win with that compelling argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Eeeyore

I have been driving for 10 years and probably had to use that button once + if it was on when I stop and open my Door the Light on sound goes off so that would tell me it is on, also during the day you would not see that small LED yellow light but I would see that the button was pressed in so I would know it was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

the one year nct on cars over 10 years, a pain in the rocks that is.........

Agree with this!
    NCT should depend on the condition of the car, not its age.
    A car that's over 10yrs old but very well looked after and has been thoroughly fixed will be in a better condition than a 5 or 6yr old car that has been driven thousands of miles or has been thrashed around everywhere and been looked after very poorly by the owner.

Just because the car is older than 10yrs is no reason to be paying an extra 55eur to maintain it every year for what is a very basic check up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

I had a car fail on the wheel nut. One of the nuts was the wrong way round. All I had to do was change it round and hey presto it passed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Is the nct still bi/yearly?
    AndThe equivalent in the North and the UK (mot) is yearly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

That and £30 was worth a fair bit more in € a few years ago. It's only about €35 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

SamHall wrote: »
    Is the nct still bi/yearly?

That depends on the age of the car.

Agree that it's only about it being only about €35 but the overheads over here cost more. I wouldn't deem it too expensive for what it is. Anything that helps to get the worst of the cars off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    I had a car fail on the wheel nut. One of the nuts was the wrong way round. All I had to do was change it round and hey presto it passed.

How can a nut be the wrong way around? You'll have to explain this further?

Agree that it's only about it being only about €35 but the overheads over here cost more. I wouldn't deem it too expensive for what it is. Anything that helps to get the worst of the cars off the road.

it's TOO dear from a closed shop operation - there isn't consumer choice in car testing, with another licenced 2 or 3 companies doing it, it'd bring down the price and over more choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Eeeyore wrote: »
    I have been driving for 10 years and probably had to use that button once + if it was on when I stop and open my Door the Light on sound goes off so that would tell me it is on, also during the day you would not see that small LED yellow light but I would see that the button was pressed in so I would know it was on.

Don't see what your worked up over it didn't even cost anything,it's on their list it has to work and rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

yeppydeppy wrote: »

I had to read this twice also. Thought maybe someone was having a laugh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Eeeyore

kneemos wrote: »
    Don't see what your worked up over it didn't even cost anything,it's on their list it has to work and rightly so.

Explain to me why it is important that a little LED light on my Dashboard works or not if this is a safety Test and meant to determine if a Car is Road Worthy or not how many Road accidents have been the cause of a non working LED Light, The cost is not the issue here how about wasting my time it is just people having a slight bit of power and just deciding to fail on silly things, sure when I brought it back your man who did pass it seemed surprised it was failed on that so a bloody Jobsworth failed it if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Play To Kill

I presume the tapered end of the wheel nut was facing inwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,194 ✭✭✭✭blade1

They can!
    One end of the nut is kind of tapered so it tightens into the hole in the wheel more.

Advertisement