Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NCT The Sillyness needs to end

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Eeeyore

kneemos wrote: »
    Every car with a fog light has a light on the dash the two go together.the purpose of the light is so that people don't leave their fog light on and blind other drivers.Amazing you don't get this.

Well I never press this button it is in the middle of my Dashboard above the Radio the LED light would be Yellow which would be virtually invisible to see during the day and when this button is on the car alerts you to this once you try and open the Door so again makes no sense to fail on a poxy LED light.

Also all cars have this do they so if I had a 1980s car would it have a LED light?

Eeeyore wrote: »
    Well I never press this button it is in the middle of my Dashboard above the Radio the LED light would be Yellow which would be virtually invisible to see during the day and when this button is on the car alerts you to this once you try and open the Door so again makes no sense to fail on a poxy LED light.

Also all cars have this do they so if I had a 1980s car would it have a LED light?

Also as we are talking about people with lights on how about those inconsiderate a-holes who drive around with their Full Beams on right behind you is their any test for those pricks?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,412 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

The law wasn't made just for your car and yes a 1980's car would have a light,a 1920's car would have a light if a fog lamp is fitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

JP85 wrote: »
    There's always one...

What, that tries to prepare for it with a bit sense instead of moaning about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

smash wrote: »
    Yea, who need good tyres any way...

Yep, my first car failed because the reg plate didn't have baile atha cliath in little letters over the reg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Car failed because it had a different chassis no to the tax book. While this is not a safety issue it is fraud. I asked the fuggin jobsworth if he was sure,yep was his reply. I also asked him why he didnt call tbe guards "isnt my job" was his reply. I have owned the car since new 04 and this was its 3rd nct and this fuggin thick nct'd the car in 10 with no prob.
    Drove around the block and went in again and someone else checked the no and gave me the cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 its me_330

I had a car fail because d fella doing the test opened the oil cap and then revved d engine for the emissions test while having a nice long chat with another tester until d oil blew everywhere. He then said it wasnt his fault and that the test centre accept no liability for a car damaged during testing. I was left with a car with a drop of oil in it the rest was all over the engine. I dont even know y he took off d oil cap no other tester ive seen has ever done it ive only seen them check d dip stick

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I had a 1980s car would it have a LED light?

Not a led, but cars with factory fitted fog lamps would have warning lamps either on the dash or on the switch. 2 1980s cars in my yard right now have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

When I enquired about getting an NCT for my vehicle, I mentioned that it had no seatbelts and asked if this would be an issue. They said it would never pass without seatbelts. So I've been trying to figure out for months how to attach a seatbelt to my motorbike.

Larbre34 wrote: »
    No sane person would buy a car liable for the NCT without a current one on it

So I'm insane, am I? I've never purchased a car in test.
    Last car I bought had just failed the test, the idiot had just made a mess of doing the brakes himself. Got a nice little run around for next to nothing. It's passed the test twice since

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Galadriel

I had my NCT in February, it failed on one of the brake tests. So I brought it along to my local garage, they tested it out and told me there is absolutely nothing wrong with the breaks :confused:

I was considering another garage for a second opinion but thought I would bring it back to the NCT centre first, and guess what? it passed, nothing wrong with the brakes after all as the garage didn't do a thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

its me_330 wrote: »
    I had a car fail because d fella doing the test opened the oil cap and then revved d engine for the emissions test
    What the... Why the hell would he do that? I'd have waved a solicitors letter in their face for that guff.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Had my car fail for the petrol cap, the inner bit of the cap that goes into the funnel was white, when it should have been black, if that isn't injustice I don't know what is

Fair enough I got a new one and an hour later i had the cert but seriously...

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

know some one whos car failed brakes,they got them replaced front and back,retested the car 2 weeks later,car failed on brakes again as they hadnt bedded in yet

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭olcod

Few years back my 98 clio failed on the clutch pedal rubber missing, I told the tester that the reason for this is that it was way to big in comparison to the actual pedal itself and i'd removed it as my foot had got caught underneath it a few times nearly causing an accident (not sure if others have had a similar prob on the old clio or if its just my big feet). Anyways he insisted it had to be in place and luckily I had it in the boot so popped it on, he was satisfied and gave me the thumbs up and then I removed it and slung it on the back seat while he was still standing there, he just grinned then went in and issued my cert, sound fella. I think people should go easy on the testers sure their just doing their job and have nothing to gain from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Had my car fail for the petrol cap, the inner bit of the cap that goes into the funnel was white, when it should have been black, if that isn't injustice I don't know what is

Fair enough I got a new one and an hour later i had the cert but seriously...
    I presume the cap was missing its seal and that's why it was white. A car will pass on that issue if it was only fitted with one of these.
    http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_178201_langId_-1_categoryId_226202

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

One the the back seats was locked in place slightly forward - the spring inside the release catch had gone and couldn't budge the thing.

Did the NCT last year. Was told that he was only passing me because the seat was locked in position and couldn't move any further forward, but that if it wasn't fixed it'd fail the next time.
    Had the car in for getting something else fixed in the meantime, asked them to have a quick look at the seat, they couldn't budge it.
    Did NCT this year, one of the two things it failed was the seat.

I've no problem with it failing, but I can't see how they can pass it one year while saying it will fail the next year even though it's in identical condition.

On the other hand, passed on everything else beyond a loose CV boot. Heading home that night, less than an hour's driving later, seal went on the exhaust box. Had to get a couple of parts replaced, was a bit suspicious about the timing, asked the garage and they said it had just rotted through over time.

I find it a bit hard to believe that something like that that's an hour away from completely falling apart due to 13 years of use can pass the test no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

Its all a scam, they pass and fail the right numbers to keep the powers that be happy while keeping themselves in business. And there isnt a centre in the country that doesnt have a guy that will pass you for cash in hand no matter what state the care is in. Road safety doesnt come into it, its a money making racket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Can anyone explain why you now have to produce your drivers licence or you cannot be issued with the cert, is this just collecting/updating data?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,311 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I had my car nct'd last week. Failed because the rear nearside tyre was the wrong direction! I didn't know they even had to be on a certain way. Was raging because I had my tyres done in January, new tyres on the front, old front tyres to the back. Stupid garage didn't cop it! Had thought of maybe switching the failure tyre with my spare wheel, but turns out my spare is bald and NCT didn't even see this.

My old Corsa was failed before because the front window wiper arms were a bit rusty! It would be rusty, it was out in the Irish rain for 10 years. Such hassle getting a second hand one.

I don't know what the hugh delays are for getting the car tested. Online was telling me I was going to wait at least two months, I rang up and got an appointment for two weeks later. The day I went in, they weren't exactly rushed off their feet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Last years NCT was gas. I failed on 2 things: tracking which is fair enough and my rear seatbelts weren't visible (i had a blanket on the back seat). I laughed and asked him why he couldn't have pulled the blanket back and he goes "that's not my job". I Lol'd so hard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭1shot16

You can fail on loud exhausts...stick on the standard one and throw back on the catalytic converter also a set of tires that arent bald...does the job :P

• Administrators Posts: 53,483 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

1shot16 wrote: »
    You can fail on loud exhausts...stick on the standard one and throw back on the catalytic converter also a set of tires that arent bald...does the job :P
    Thank goodness.

Those stupid things young lads stick on their cars to make them sound like a bee trapped in a bucket are tacky in the extreme and should be banned on the grounds of saving them all the embarrassment of driving a car with one fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I had my car nct'd last week. Failed because the rear nearside tyre was the wrong direction! I didn't know they even had to be on a certain way. Was raging because I had my tyres done in January, new tyres on the front, old front tyres to the back. Stupid garage didn't cop it! Had thought of maybe switching the failure tyre with my spare wheel, but turns out my spare is bald and NCT didn't even see this.

My old Corsa was failed before because the front window wiper arms were a bit rusty! It would be rusty, it was out in the Irish rain for 10 years. Such hassle getting a second hand one.

I don't know what the hugh delays are for getting the car tested. Online was telling me I was going to wait at least two months, I rang up and got an appointment for two weeks later. The day I went in, they weren't exactly rushed off their feet!

Probably didn't see it as it is not part of the test.

2 stroke wrote: »
    Not a led, but cars with factory fitted fog lamps would have warning lamps either on the dash or on the switch. 2 1980s cars in my yard right now have them.

Really, I still fail to see how a little Bulb on Dashboard is a safety issue, Yes I have heard the argument that what if it is left on and blinds other drivers hello people it is a Rear Fog light not a Spot Light or the Bloody Bat Signal I do not think nor does the light seem to be any stronger than that of a normal break light. correct me if I am wrong but people driving with full head-light beams is a bigger issue if you ask me can anyone remember ever been stuck behind anyone with their fog-light on and it blinding them I have been driving 10 years day and night and zll over the country and never seen it to be honest.

Yes, every week I meet a few assholes driving with their rear foglights on, very annoying on a long journey, and difficult to overtake on a muggy night, and hundreds of assholes driving with their front foglights on. Rare enough by comparision do I meet someone that doesn't dip their headlights, are you sure you aren't talking about front foglights? or are other drivers trying to tell you something, by not dipping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

can anyone remember ever been stuck behind anyone with their fog-light on and it blinding them I have been driving 10 years day and night and zll over the country and never seen it to be honest.

That's because the little LED light on their dash was working properly and would have warned them that their rear fog light was on and could possibly dazzle you and cause a dangerous situation.

A few of them probably got picked up when doing their NCT. :rolleyes:

Valetta wrote: »
    That's because the little LED light on their dash was working properly and would have warned them that their rear fog light was on and could possibly dazzle you and cause a dangerous situation.

A few of them probably got picked up when doing their NCT. :rolleyes:

Utter Crap Fog Lights do not blind you they are no different to brake lights so no need for that Moron in NCT Center to fail the car on a poxy fecking Light Emitting Diode not fecking working. Get me a Road Traffic Report that has Fog Lights blinding people as a reason as to why they crashed.

By the way did I mention that when I brought the car back that the Light and Button was exposed as I had taking the casing off so how can an exposed Dash and Button be more safe just because the little light lights up rather than a enclosed Dashboard just because it does not.

2 stroke wrote: »
    Yes, every week I meet a few assholes driving with their rear foglights on, very annoying on a long journey, and difficult to overtake on a muggy night, and hundreds of assholes driving with their front foglights on. Rare enough by comparision do I meet someone that doesn't dip their headlights, are you sure you aren't talking about front foglights? or are other drivers trying to tell you something, by not dipping?

No it is their Full Beams and they would have them on when they are behind you and sometimes coming towards you, I Live in the City and it happens alot pain in the arse. At least if they have their rear lIGHTS OR rEAR fOG lIGHTS BLINDING YOU you could Flash them or signal them to let them know, However if you are in front of someone with full beams shining into your car you cannot do anything to let them know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Utter Crap Fog Lights do not blind you they are no different to brake lights so no need for that Moron in NCT Center to fail the car on a poxy fecking Light Emitting Diode not fecking working. Get me a Road Traffic Report that has Fog Lights blinding people as a reason as to why they crashed.

By the way did I mention that when I brought the car back that the Light and Button was exposed as I had taking the casing off so how can an exposed Dash and Button be more safe just because the little light lights up rather than a enclosed Dashboard just because it does not.

It's against the law to drive with fog lights when they're not needed. Why do you think this is?

Advertisement