Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Courtown/ riverchaple.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

13roses wrote: »
    I am in the process of buying in riverchapel, and am hearing mixed things like robberies, gangsters taking over local pubs etc. I am not buying in an estate it's on the main road. It's important I get this move right so any advice greatly appreciated

Suffice it to say that there are one or two pubs in the area that nobody with any self respect would frequent but at least it's a choice you can make..
    Our government it would seem are quite content that crime figures in the general North Wexford area are minimal and that one Garda patrol car is sufficient to cover an area from Inch to Ballygarret and westward to Ballyedmond, but most areas of Riverchapel, despite the efforts of Wexford County Council in relocating criminals from the capital, are relatively crime free. It seems the criminal classes can't really cope with having to travel more than 50 yards to amenities.
    Like most areas in rural Ireland today, sensible precautions like house alarms are necessary, join the local Neighbourhood Watch and Residents' Associations which are active in the area and try to get to know your neighbours. Riverchapel has been dismissed as a basket case by many over the last few years, most of whom have never spent more than five minutes in the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 13roses

I am in the process of buying in riverchapel, and am hearing mixed things like robberies, gangsters taking over local pubs etc. I am not buying in an estate it's on the main road. It's important I get this move right so any advice greatly appreciated

Thank you for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭GinaI

hairyslug wrote: »
    We finally got the letter from the bank to say we can go ahead with s purchase.
    We have taken many trips down, I've sat in a car till 4am to see if there were any problems, I made this mistake in the last house I bought.
    We asked locals what is was like, all got great reviews. As with all estates there will be 1 family that causes enough hassle.
    But going on reviews from people here, locals in riverchapel and a good friend we are moving down.

Have you moved? How do you find the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 13roses

GinaI wrote: »

Hiya that's good news. I am moving down in approx 4 to 5 weeks. Got my house is river chapel so happy days. When are you moving?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

We moved down on the June bank holiday, we love it, kids love it, our estate has 50 houses in it but is quite quiet. We were expecting the worst at summer due to all the summer homes in the area but it wasn't bad at all. Riverchapel itself has very little going on, small shops in courtown but you will need to go to Gorey for proper shopping. We definitely don't regret moving down. Any questions just ask.

• Advertisement

Hiya that's good news. I am moving down in approx 4 to 5 weeks. Got my house is river chapel so happy days. When are you moving?

It’s hard to say when I am moving as there were delays on each step of my house buying process. I stopped telling people where I hope to move as I get shocked faces, rolled eyes and advices to run, run, run away from that deal if I still can. There many people from Gorey at my work and they all are very negative about Riverchapel. Which worries me a lot ( even though I’ve made up my mind and I am moving if I buy that house eventually).

We moved down on the June bank holiday, we love it, kids love it, our estate has 50 houses in it but is quite quiet. We were expecting the worst at summer due to all the summer homes in the area but it wasn't bad at all. Riverchapel itself has very little going on, small shops in courtown but you will need to go to Gorey for proper shopping. We definitely don't regret moving down. Any questions just ask.

Thank you. Have your kids started Riverchapel school?

Thank you. Have your kids started Riverchapel school?

2 ouf ours are in a special needs school in Wicklow so its best they stay there, its a bit of a drive but the care is excellent, our eldest is in the gaelscoil in Arklow, thats where we originally lived and its only 15 minutes up the road so its not to bad.

My mortgage advisor had his youngest in the school, he highly recommended it.

On the neg reviews of Riverchapel, we moved down at the start of the busiest periods of the year, and we have had no issues, courtown can get quite busy but its not crazy.

Trying to stay as politically correct as I can, we have had a higher number of people calling to the door offering to do our driveway or gutters than we did in Arklow but we have had no hassle, we have an active residents committee which keeps all the public areas clean.

Can i ask where you are moving to, we are in Dune Haven, we have friends in New Haven and Glen Aoibhinn and they all love it.
    Ethcingham heights and Branogue have a bad name but to be honest I cant see why.

It’s hard to say when I am moving as there were delays on each step of my house buying process. I stopped telling people where I hope to move as I get shocked faces, rolled eyes and advices to run, run, run away from that deal if I still can. There many people from Gorey at my work and they all are very negative about Riverchapel. Which worries me a lot ( even though I’ve made up my mind and I am moving if I buy that house eventually).

Ironic that people from Gorey would be aghast at your moving to Riverchapel, given that a large percentage of those brought before the courts for anti social behaviour in the greater Courtown area in recent years, have been from Gorey.
    Resort areas are always prone to anti social behaviour, large areas of deserted beach and parkland with no visible security are attractive to mindless pondlife but this will diminish as the season ends and they crawl back under whichever rock they came from. Come November, you'll wonder where everybody went. :)

2 ouf ours are in a special needs school in Wicklow so its best they stay there, its a bit of a drive but the care is excellent, our eldest is in the gaelscoil in Arklow, thats where we originally lived and its only 15 minutes up the road so its not to bad.

My mortgage advisor had his youngest in the school, he highly recommended it.

On the neg reviews of Riverchapel, we moved down at the start of the busiest periods of the year, and we have had no issues, courtown can get quite busy but its not crazy.

Trying to stay as politically correct as I can, we have had a higher number of people calling to the door offering to do our driveway or gutters than we did in Arklow but we have had no hassle, we have an active residents committee which keeps all the public areas clean.

Can i ask where you are moving to, we are in Dune Haven, we have friends in New Haven and Glen Aoibhinn and they all love it.
    Ethcingham heights and Branogue have a bad name but to be honest I cant see why.

Thank you for this. If I eventually move ( I just spoke to my solicitor and there is another delay), I will be in Beachside Drive. I really hoped I would had moved by the start of the school year so my child could go to his new school from the beginning of the year, but he went to his "old" school today :-( I've been sale agreed for 3 months now. It's a different story, of course.

• Advertisement

It looks like I will be finally moving soon! I'm wondering if there are any kids after school activities in Riverchapel? Maybe in a community centre or in the primary school? Thanks

It looks like I will be finally moving soon! I'm wondering if there are any kids after school activities in Riverchapel? Maybe in a community centre or in the primary school? Thanks

There is but I can't remember what's on offer I'll try and remember to look out when I'm driving home tonight, there were a few things on during the summer in the centre beside the school

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭marlie2005

Hi Gina,

i'm living in the area a long time and have to say there is loads of activities to do between Riverchapel and Gorey.. I think all hobbies are accounted for .. Mine play soccer in Courtown Hibs, which they love and also goes to scouts in Gorey. In Riverchapel there is GAA in Ballygarrett but the younger kids also play @ the school. Ballroom dancing for kids ,Tyqwando, recently there was a lego club but not sure if that is still running on in the community centre. I'm sure there are more but cannot think offhand what they are.
    The complex was suppose to be a community place but tends to be mainly for GAA, football and soccer. I was hoping that some community games type activities would go into it but they havent so far..

Best of luck settling in in your new home..

marlie2005 wrote: »
    Hi Gina,

i'm living in the area a long time and have to say there is loads of activities to do between Riverchapel and Gorey.. I think all hobbies are accounted for .. Mine play soccer in Courtown Hibs, which they love and also goes to scouts in Gorey. In Riverchapel there is GAA in Ballygarrett but the younger kids also play @ the school. Ballroom dancing for kids ,Tyqwando, recently there was a lego club but not sure if that is still running on in the community centre. I'm sure there are more but cannot think offhand what they are.
    The complex was suppose to be a community place but tends to be mainly for GAA, football and soccer. I was hoping that some community games type activities would go into it but they havent so far..

Hi, thank you for that. Are your kids in Riverchapel school if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Gina,

Give it time. The Community Centre is basically a community effort and to get it where it is has taken a lot of hard work fund raising by volunteers, which hasn't always been matched by effort from locals. Plans are ongoing to build an actual bespoke building to house indoor activities and which can be hired for events etc. by local clubs. Everybody can help by supporting the various nights out and special events which are run from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭marlie2005

Hi, thank you for that. Are your kids in Riverchapel school if you don't mind me asking?

Yes, I have kids in Riverchapel. Mine are very happy there. There are a lot of young innovated teachers, which I personally like, but like most other schools it not without it's problems. The problems in my opinion are very minor though..
    Give it time. The Community Centre is basically a community effort and to get it where it is has taken a lot of hard work fund raising by volunteers, which hasn't always been matched by effort from locals. Plans are ongoing to build an actual bespoke building to house indoor activities and which can be hired for events etc. by local clubs. Everybody can help by supporting the various nights out and special events which are run from time to time.

Thanks for the info Marhay70, I can't wait to see the complex being used to it's best potential. I know a lot of work has gone into it from all the committee members. I personally have supported all the fundraising events so far and will continue to do so, as I can see the potential of the area and it will be a great asset to our little community.

Yes, I have kids in Riverchapel. Mine are very happy there. There are a lot of young innovated teachers, which I personally like, but like most other schools it not without it's problems. The problems in my opinion are very minor though..

Thanks for the info Marhay70, I can't wait to see the complex being used to it's best potential. I know a lot of work has gone into it from all the committee members. I personally have supported all the fundraising events so far and will continue to do so, as I can see the potential of the area and it will be a great asset to our little community.

Thank you for this. Where exactly is the community complex? I've only seen a sign for it on the main street

Thank you for this. Where exactly is the community complex? I've only seen a sign for it on the main street

Take the road alongside Jimmyz pub and follow it to the top, you'll see the gates and the sign. Currently it is open during daylight hours.

Hi, could anyone recommend a childminder in Riverchapel? Thank you

Hi Gina,

Hi, would you know where taekowon- do classes are?

Thank you

• Advertisement

Hi, would you know where taekowon- do classes are?

Thank you
    Community Activities

Community Centre Activities

Little Rascals Mon-Fri 9am – 12.30
    Youth Club Monday 7pm – 9pm
    Bible Club Tuesday 4pm – 5.15pm
    Keep Fit Class Tuesday 7pm – 8.15pm
    Line Dancing Tuesday 8.30pm – 10pm
    Tae Kwon Do Wednesday 4pm – 5pm and 7pm -8.30pm
    Whist Drive Thursday 8.30pm
    Tae Kwon Do Friday 7pm – 8.30pm
    To book the Centre please contact Jackie at jacquelineohalloran@gmail.com

Not comprehensive but enough to be going on with. This is the Community Centre between the school and Brooks Supermarket.

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Community Activities

Community Centre Activities

Little Rascals Mon-Fri 9am – 12.30
    Youth Club Monday 7pm – 9pm
    Bible Club Tuesday 4pm – 5.15pm
    Keep Fit Class Tuesday 7pm – 8.15pm
    Line Dancing Tuesday 8.30pm – 10pm
    Tae Kwon Do Wednesday 4pm – 5pm and 7pm -8.30pm
    Whist Drive Thursday 8.30pm
    Tae Kwon Do Friday 7pm – 8.30pm
    To book the Centre please contact Jackie at jacquelineohalloran@gmail.com

Not comprehensive but enough to be going on with. This is the Community Centre between the school and Brooks Supermarket.

Thanks a lot

Hi, can someone recommend a childminder in Riverchapel? Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Yum mum 80

Hi dont mean to hijack this tread but i am moving down to poulshone and wondered what any locals of the area's views on it were? Is it a generally safe area? Quite? Anything i might need to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Fumes

Yum mum 80 wrote: »
    Hi dont mean to hijack this tread but i am moving down to poulshone and wondered what any locals of the area's views on it were? Is it a generally safe area? Quite? Anything i might need to know?

I live in Poulshone and really like it. Been here about 6 years now. I have found it to be quiet and safe, never had any trouble. I can't think of anything you would need to know tbh.

Fumes wrote: »
    I live in Poulshone and really like it. Been here about 6 years now. I have found it to be quiet and safe, never had any trouble. I can't think of anything you would need to know tbh.

Thats great to hear thanks for the reply, do you have small children? Also is poulshone beach generally quiet or does it get very busy during the summer months?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Fumes

Yum mum 80 wrote: »
    Thats great to hear thanks for the reply, do you have small children? Also is poulshone beach generally quiet or does it get very busy during the summer months?:)

I don't have any children. It's very quiet around here in the winter, summer is much busier as a lot of the homes are holiday homes. The beach can be fairly busy on a warm summer's day but nowhere near as busy as Courtown or Ballymoney.

Fumes wrote: »
    I don't have any children. It's very quiet around here in the winter, summer is much busier as a lot of the homes are holiday homes. The beach can be fairly busy on a warm summer's day but nowhere near as busy as Courtown or Ballymoney.

Thank you for that , looks like a lovely quite area and i am hoping the kids will make friends and settle ok into the school in gorey . The beach looks lovely and it will be so nice to be able to take the dogs down for a walk on it. Excited but nervous .i hope we're making the right choice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭fitzparker

HI all, hoping to move here soon, im wondering do many commute up to dublin for work and how do you find it? I work in sandyford 8am-4pm. is there a specific time to get out at to avoid the rush?

• Advertisement

I work in Bray, i leave at 725 and i hit the bray south turn off at 810, i take my time driving but a lot will tick along at 130kph. From Bray to Sandyford can be a bit mental but up till bray at that time in the morning it's fairly free flowing.

Advertisement