Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Courtown/ riverchaple.

Options
  • 06-04-2013 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, am moving to courttown and would like to know what's riverchapel like to live in. Looking at Middletown valley,
    beachside and woodside. Or is nearer courttown harbour better to live in. I have 2 kids under 12 and can't decide which is better, thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Firstly, I seriously need to ask if you actually have to live in the area. Is it possible for you to travel from Gorey when needed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

oldyouth wrote: »
    Firstly, I seriously need to ask if you actually have to live in the area. Is it possible for you to travel from Gorey when needed?

Really, and why do you seriously need to ask that?

Dead in the winter and full of holiday makers in the summer, some of whom (and I mean some) are not the best

Dead in the winter and full of holiday makers in the summer, some of whom (and I mean some) are not the best

Apart from being an exaggeration, it's hardly a helpful answer to the OP. Op, Middletown or Woodside would be fine, Beachside is a bit congested IMO. You don't say if you plan to rent or buy, if it's the latter I would suggest Riverchapel Wood. Courtown itself is more mature and also caters more for the rental market, houses rarely come up for sale and because of the nature of the market, properties tend not to be well insulated. Woodands would be a good option there but check the method of construction and insulation first.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Buddy10

bmaxi wrote: »
    Apart from being an exaggeration, it's hardly a helpful answer to the OP. Op, Middletown or Woodside would be fine, Beachside is a bit congested IMO. You don't say if you plan to rent or buy, if it's the latter I would suggest Riverchapel Wood. Courtown itself is more mature and also caters more for the rental market, houses rarely come up for sale and because of the nature of the market, properties tend not to be well insulated. Woodands would be a good option there but check the method of construction and insulation first.

Hi thanks for replies. I am buying, going down this weekend to look at some. Really like courttown and where it is. Also like that, its so near to Gorey but dont want to live there. Bmaxi never would have thought about insulation. Just assumed that cos the houses we are looking at are not that old, that insulation would not be a problem. Thanks again.

• Advertisement

Buddy10 wrote: »
    Bmaxi never would have thought about insulation. Just assumed that cos the houses we are looking at are not that old, that insulation would not be a problem. Thanks again.

Wouldn't have struck me either, it was a lesson learned the hard way. When I was waiting for my house to be finished I rented a house in Courtown over the winter. We were frozen out of it, condensation turned to ice on walls and windows and the attic tank froze, this wasn't even a harsh winter like we've had recently. A lot of the houses built in Courtown in the 1980s and 90s were bought under a tax relief scheme, they were intended as holiday lets, not for year round occupancy. I think, in law now, sellers have to provide a BER certificate but I'm not sure at what vintage house that requirement starts. Riverchapel should be fine though, good luck with the hunt.

It's not an exggeration IMO and has been covered many times here. However, OP says he likes the area and that's the main thing.

It's not an exggeration IMO and has been covered many times here. However, OP says he likes the area and that's the main thing.

I don't need anecdotal evidence from Boards or anywhere else, I live there and see it on a daily basis, I say it's an exaggeration. The area gets enough unwarranted bad press without this sort of uninformed drivel.

I don't need anecdotal evidence from Boards or anywhere else, I live there and see it on a daily basis, I say it's an exaggeration. The area gets enough unwarranted bad press without this sort of uninformed drivel.

Yeah, everybody else is wrong. Anecdotal, sure, lets go with that. I've been in and out of Courtown for the last 40 years and can't see anything positive about it. As I said before, the OP likes the area and that's all that matters

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Aw come on, you can't see ANYTHING positive about Courtown? Huh??

• Advertisement

vicwatson wrote: »
    Aw come on, you can't see ANYTHING positive about Courtown? Huh??

Apologies, the harbour is a lovely facility if you are a boat person, the golf course is magnificent and there are nice views up the coast from the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 DubMam

Hello
    I am moving to Riverchapel View over tyhe summer with 3 children (4,9 & 11) Has anyone expierence of the national school in the village? Can you advise of gaa teams, cub scouts etc. I am excited but scared too at the move If they kids settle I'll be happy

All advice re schools (secondary also) very welcome
    Thanks!!

Also any advice on GP's dentist in the locality, I will have to commute to Dublin for the first while, is there a bus from Riverchapel to Gorey so I can connect with bus/train??

Thanks again!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056919847

Also, bmaxi lives there so worth asking his thoughts etc.

Yeah, everybody else is wrong. Anecdotal, sure, lets go with that. I've been in and out of Courtown for the last 40 years and can't see anything positive about it. As I said before, the OP likes the area and that's all that matters

So, "everybody else" disagrees with my opinion? If you hadn't contended differently, I'd be tempted to say that might be an exaggeration. What about all those holidaymakers you say the place is "full of" in summer?, they must really dread holiday time when they have to come here. Surely coercion is a criminal offence, Gardaí should be informed.

DubMam wrote: »
    Hello
    I am moving to Riverchapel View over tyhe summer with 3 children (4,9 & 11) Has anyone expierence of the national school in the village? Can you advise of gaa teams, cub scouts etc. I am excited but scared too at the move If they kids settle I'll be happy

All advice re schools (secondary also) very welcome
    Thanks!!

Also any advice on GP's dentist in the locality, I will have to commute to Dublin for the first while, is there a bus from Riverchapel to Gorey so I can connect with bus/train??

Thanks again!

The bad news first. Public transport in the form of buses is, like most rural villages, virtually non existent in Riverchapel. Most people would have a car or would travel by hackney. If you are to be a daily commuter you may be able to agree a bulk rate with the hackney company. Most of the hackney companies operate minibuses and if there are enough passengers, the trip to Gorey can be as low as €4 but it's much less painful all round to have your own car as most activities would require it. Parking at Gorey railway station is plentiful and costs €3 a day.
    Riverchapel N.S. has an excellent reputation and will guarantee a place in Gorey Community School, which also has an excellent reputation. There is a second secondary school in Gorey, Creagh College, which is only newly opened, so little is known of it.
    There are no dentists or doctors in the area although Mrs O'Loughlin, a GP in Gorey will, if available, see emergency cases at her home in Ardamine.
    Nearest GAA club is Ballygarret, about 3 miles down the coast, Courtown Celtic AFC is in Ballycale, about 1.5 miles out towards Springmount. Scouts, Judo, Boxing, Rugby, Irish dancing, music and theatre clubs are in Gorey.
    Most children love the area, Courtown beach and woods are less than 10 minutes walk away and if we get a half decent summer, you'll have to prise them away.
    Welcome to the area and best of luck.

So, "everybody else" disagrees with my opinion? If you hadn't contended differently, I'd be tempted to say that might be an exaggeration. What about all those holidaymakers you say the place is "full of" in summer?, they must really dread holiday time when they have to come here. Surely coercion is a criminal offence, Gardaí should be informed.
    Regardless of what town you talk about, I'm sure many people would agree that an area full of holidaymakers is not necessarily the best place to live. The area (again IMO) is geared for holidaymakers to have a great time and is dead out of season, which is the majority of the year. The high number of holidaymakers, enjoying what the village is designed for, can lead to unsociable activity.

You obviously disagree, which is fine, but I too have extensive experience of the area and can think of only one other village in Wexford where I would least want to live

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭smokey20

and can think of only one other village in Wexford where I would least want to live

Taghmon?

smokey20 wrote: »
    Taghmon?

I'm in enough trouble for criticising Bmaxi's Valhalla ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Corvo

smokey20 wrote: »
    Taghmon?

Barntown I'd say ;)

Barntown I'd say ;)

Good one Griff, whoever you are, :P

• Advertisement

Regardless of what town you talk about, I'm sure many people would agree that an area full of holidaymakers is not necessarily the best place to live. The area (again IMO) is geared for holidaymakers to have a great time and is dead out of season, which is the majority of the year. The high number of holidaymakers, enjoying what the village is designed for, can lead to unsociable activity.

You obviously disagree, which is fine, but I too have extensive experience of the area and can think of only one other village in Wexford where I would least want to live

I can think of a dozen places in Co. Wexford in which I would choose not to live.
    Of course the area is geared toward holidaymakers, people want to come here and the whole essence of commerce is, if you have a product people want, you market it towards them.
    Most of the holidaymakers who come here are regulars, people who have bought mobile homes and want to bring their families. There is little anti social behaviour among them, indeed statistics have shown that most of those appearing before the courts in this regard are from Gorey and it's hinterland.
    At worst, visitors are a minor and temporary inconvenience amounting to increased traffic and longer queues, they give a certain buzz to the area on a warm sunny day in July which tends to lift everybody.

I can't keep repeating myself, but you seem to like the area and the OP seems to like the area and that is the most important thing. However, I think it is one of the least desirable places to live in this beautiful county and that is my right

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

Good one Griff, whoever you are, :P
    /me goes off to search for Barntown on the site!

I can't keep repeating myself, but you seem to like the area and the OP seems to like the area and that is the most important thing. However, I think it is one of the least desirable places to live in this beautiful county and that is my right
    Yet you see fit to ridicule my right to defend the area. I don't care whether or not you would like to live in this area, the current arrangement is probably mutually beneficial. What I do object to is your spreading of misinformation and general urban myths about the place, to those who might want to live here. If I knew where you lived, I'm sure I could find uncomplimentary things to say about that place, difference is, I wouldn't bother.

I can't keep repeating myself, but you seem to like the area and that is the most important thing.
    How is that ridiculing you???. Where is the urban myth, when I have told you I have been in and out of Courtown for the last 40 years??? I live in Barntown, slag it off if it makes you feel better, I like the area. If you can't accept all of that, we are just going around in a loop here

Barntown's a kip !

^^^^^^

:P:D:D:D:D:D:D

vicwatson wrote: »
    Barntown's a kip !

T'was grand before I moved there. I don't know how it went downhill so quickly after I arrived

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Ahh now lads and lassies. Don't be running down or slagging off Barntown. ;);)The views of the north of the county from there are breath taking especially if your up ballindinas direction looking up at beautiful Enniscorthy. :P
    As I say to my hillbilly outlaws who moved up there some years............... Well can you open your front door on a windy day.:D

• Advertisement

Navarre wrote: »
    Ahh now lads and lassies. Don't be running down or slagging off Barntown. ;);)The views of the north of the county from there are breath taking especially if your up ballindinas direction looking up at beautiful Enniscorthy. :P
    As I say to my hillbilly outlaws who moved up there some years............... Well can you open your front door on a windy day.:D

Ah herrrree leavee it ouuuuu:D

Advertisement