Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Courtown/ riverchaple.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

oldyouth wrote: »
    How is that ridiculing you???. Where is the urban myth, when I have told you I have been in and out of Courtown for the last 40 years??? I live in Barntown, slag it off if it makes you feel better, I like the area. If you can't accept all of that, we are just going around in a loop here

You've obviously chosen to overlook the "bmaxi's Valhalla" jibe. Was that supposed to be constructive to the debate? Are you even aware of what place Valhalla refers to?
    Just to avoid your having to repeat yourself, I've been to Wexford town, Enniscorthy, New Ross even Barntown, on many occasions over the years. Additionally, I worked as truck driver for a long time and visited every county in Ireland but, apart from here and Dublin, I haven't lived in any of them. For that simple reason I wouldn't presume to know what it's like to live in any those places, which was the original question, that's a talent the Good Lord appears to have reserved solely for you. Congratulations!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

If just visiting Courtown over the last 40 years is enough to make me dislike the place, I don't see how living there 24/7 would change my opinion

Will you not just accept the fact that many people like the place, many people don't (including myself) and not be so precious about it? I accept the OP enquired about living in Courtown, which I have never done, but I am entitled to give an opinion about my experience of the area. The OP is free to dismiss it as irrelevant if he wishes but you won't bully me in to changing it

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Handbags at dawn can only sort this out :D

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

vicwatson wrote: »
    Handbags at dawn can only sort this out :D

It seems that way alright Vic. But it has to be at Castleellis cross as id say that's the half way spot between both Barntown and Riverchaple /Ardmine :D

Navarre wrote: »
    It seems that way alright Vic. But it has to be at Castleellis cross as id say that's the half way spot between both Barntown and Riverchaple /Ardmine :D
    Castle Ellis is a shlthole :D

• Advertisement

If just visiting Courtown over the last 40 years is enough to make me dislike the place, I don't see how living there 24/7 would change my opinion

Will you not just accept the fact that many people like the place, many people don't (including myself) and not be so precious about it? I accept the OP enquired about living in Courtown, which I have never done, but I am entitled to give an opinion about my experience of the area. The OP is free to dismiss it as irrelevant if he wishes but you won't bully me in to changing it

Point me towards where I suggested you, or anybody else, weren't free to like/dislike the area or to give your opinion. I don't agree with that opinion and I'm entitled to say so, if that bothers you then it is you who is being precious. My contention from the outset, has been that you are not qualified to pronounce on what it is like to live here, which was the question in the OP, nothing has changed in that respect.

If it looks like a horse, canters like a horse, smells like a horse, then odds are that it is a horse. You don't have to own one to give a qualified opinion on it

If it looks like a horse, canters like a horse, smells like a horse, then odds are that it is a horse. You don't have to own one to give a qualified opinion on it
    I shouldn't really be allowing the thread to descend to these depths of inanity but a qualified opinion would suggest you are uncertain as to whether or not it is a horse, just that, on the face of it, it appears to be a horse.
    Now, have you anything relevant, or indeed, sensible to contribute.

bmaxi wrote: »
    Now, have you anything relevant, or indeed, sensible to contribute.
    I quoted relevant and sensible opinion until you decided that I had not right to do so, given that it was not all positive. I think you might have prevented others from offering contributions by getting on your high horse (not to be confused with the type of horse mentioned previously)

Mod Note
    Guys can you both agree to disagree on the subject of riverchaple and leave it so at that as the thread has really gone sideways.

• Advertisement

Will do Navarre

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Buddy10

Hi, thanks To everyone who took the time to reply. Just like to say that viewed some houses at the weekend and made an offer today and it was accepted. So courttown here we come. Just got to sort out a solicitor, a surveyor and god knows what.

Mod Note
    Guys can you both agree to disagree on the subject of riverchaple and leave it so at that as the thread has really gone sideways.

Spoilsport :p

Buddy10 wrote: »
    Hi, thanks To everyone who took the time to reply. Just like to say that viewed some houses at the weekend and made an offer today and it was accepted. So courttown here we come. Just got to sort out a solicitor, a surveyor and god knows what.

Where did you decide on in the end?

Spoilsport :p
    :D
    you 2 could always meet up at castleellis crossroads and sort it out once and for all over a game of Marbles. :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Buddy10

Decided on woodside.

you 2 could always meet up at castleellis crossroads and sort it out once and for all over a game of Marbles. :o:o

Or you could both go Dancin' at the crossroads ?? :pac::pac:

Your assuming that we both still have our........:p

Or you could both go Dancin' at the crossroads ?? :pac::pac:

They could. But not wearing the purple and gold id say.

Buddy10 wrote: »
    Decided on woodside.

Nice spot, showing a bit of wear and tear now but at one time it was a showpiece. It actually featured in an RTE documentary series about Courtown which aired in the 1990s, when it was an upmarket holiday let development. One thing I would definitely have my solicitor check is the terms of any Management Company agreement, they used to be quite restricttve, as they were for a lot of estates around here. Thankfully, the MUD Act has changed that.

• Advertisement

They could. But not wearing the purple and gold id say.

You should hold on to that video for posterity. Not only is it a record of Wexford's All Ireland win but at about 3.30 you'll see an event which has faded in the memory of many, a Garda actually involved in traffic control in Gorey. Seriously, this is the stuff of legend :)

Thankfully, the MUD Act has changed that

In what way BMaxi?

In what way BMaxi?

In simple terms it has given householders much more say in their Management Company.
    Developers can no longer serve on the Board of Directors, and votes at an AGM or EGM can only be exercised by those who own a property in the estate.
    For example, in the estate where I live there are 190 houses. each of those houses had one vote at an AGM. In addition, there was the developer, who was Chairman, and seven "subscribers" who were appointed by the developer and were usually cronies or business associates of his. In the Articles of Association ( Constitution) of the Management Company, each of these subscribers was allotted thirty votes at an AGM. I'll leave you to do the math.
    In short, householders had no say in what went on in their Management Company, fees were plucked out of the air and the Managing Agent did absolutely nothing in response to residents' complaints, the grass was cut and that was it.
    The MUD act has changed all that and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭jd

I presume the developer and his buddies have all resigned, BMAXI?

In simple terms it has given householders much more say in their Management Company.
    Developers can no longer serve on the Board of Directors, and votes at an AGM or EGM can only be exercised by those who own a property in the estate.
    For example, in the estate where I live there are 190 houses. each of those houses had one vote at an AGM. In addition, there was the developer, who was Chairman, and seven "subscribers" who were appointed by the developer and were usually cronies or business associates of his. In the Articles of Association ( Constitution) of the Management Company, each of these subscribers was allotted thirty votes at an AGM. I'll leave you to do the math.
    In short, householders had no say in what went on in their Management Company, fees were plucked out of the air and the Managing Agent did absolutely nothing in response to residents' complaints, the grass was cut and that was it.
    The MUD act has changed all that and more.

This was enacted in April 2011 if I'm not mistaken, would be very interesting to see how many developers have handed over their estates to the Management Companies since Oct 2012 when they were supposed to.

There are so many in breach of the law it's not funny, and you know why?? because there is NO PENALTY for being in breach of the act ;)

jd wrote: »
    I presume the developer and his buddies have all resigned, BMAXI?
    They will resign at the next AGM, due shortly.

This was enacted in April 2011 if I'm not mistaken, would be very interesting to see how many developers have handed over their estates to the Management Companies since Oct 2012 when they were supposed to.

There are so many in breach of the law it's not funny, and you know why?? because there is NO PENALTY for being in breach of the act ;)

I honestly can't see what benefit there would be for a developer to hold on to his estate. The Management Company he controls would have no legitimacy and therefore could not levy fees, plus, his own position as a director would be untenable. I'm no legal expert but I'd imagine he would be liable for any accidents etc., in the common areas as well as an inevitable High Court loss in any action taken by residents or the Local Authority for possession of the common areas. What would be the incentive?

I honestly can't see what benefit there would be for a developer to hold on to his estate. The Management Company he controls would have no legitimacy and therefore could not levy fees, plus, his own position as a director would be untenable. I'm no legal expert but I'd imagine he would be liable for any accidents etc., in the common areas as well as an inevitable High Court loss in any action taken by residents or the Local Authority for possession of the common areas. What would be the incentive?

There is no benefit yet so many are still breaking the law (maybe it's to do with the minor costs involved in handing over the development to the management company)

There is no benefit yet so many are still breaking the law (maybe it's to do with the minor costs involved in handing over the development to the management company)

Do you have any links to instances where this has happened? I'd be interested in following the progress.
    It would be impossible for any developer to maintain the status quo, IMO, the result would be a legal limbo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Boardieman

I've never read so much rubbish in my life. I only moved to Gorey 2 years ago and even I know that Courttown and Riverchapel are the holiday destinations for Dublins chav elite. Both towns have a terrible reputation, especially in Gorey. Lets not sugarcoat it like. A lot of them have also bought there, Riverchapel especially and the place has the worst unemployment problem in the south east. About 10 years ago Courttown was considered to be a nice place to go on your holidays or even buy, but during the Celtic tiger most Irish people stopped holidaying in Ireland and sold their holiday homes which are now occupied by cider drinking, buggy pushing Dubliners. Yes I'm sure there are lovely people living there too but the fact of the matter is that housing prices are cheap there for a reason and if you want to live in a nice area by the sea you should be looking at Ballymoney or even Ballygarett or Kilmuckridge. That said anywhere with mobile homes in Ireland is going to have an antisocial problem all year round because let's face it dignified people would never stay, never mind live in a giant caravan. I am also looking to buy at the moment so I have done proper research on the south east. You have to be so careful down here as there is such a shift in the quality of different areas and estates especially with so many of them formally being holiday homes. Even Gorey has a lot of bad spots and due to the rapid decline of the area due to the aforementioned influx of Chavs moving down from Dublin the Community school has a huge problem with behaviour and there are a lot of robberies locally. I'm just being brutally honest here. Buy in Inch or out the Ballycanew area if you want a bit of piece and quiet. If you are moving down here to go on the beer 5 nights a week then fine buy in Courttown. There are plenty of chippers for your 1am snack and I know plenty of bars that play the national anthem at closing time.

Advertisement