Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wish I had a camera with me....

Options
  • 05-04-2013 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭

There I was walking through town when two ban-garda decided for whatever elitist reasons they were going to invade my privacy and search me/quiz me and demand my life story, because apparantly I fit a description of somebody that was causing hassle earlier in the week. Really officer and which similarities would those be now: the old dreaded shaved head and addidas bottoms look (because of course the guy earlier in the week is probably still wearing those adidas bottoms).

Obviously these asswipes thought I was just going to stand there and take their $hite when I remembered one of the lads was telling me that they have to talk to you 'as Gaeilge' if you request it. Looking at their faces I dont think either of these ladies ever heard a word of Irish in their lives. Long story short they threatened to take me back to the station if I wouldnt let them search me or give them my details or start speaking in English. Pleased with how well I could remember Irish from school I was pretty much able to answer everything they asked (as gaelige of course) and told them they could search away if they ask me in Irish- the look on their faces was priceless.

Onlookers started gathering at this stage and heckling at them and telling them to get lost and hassle someone else.

So they didnt live up to their threats in the end, they didnt arrest me, and they didnt even search me. They instead moved swiftly on, probably to harrass some other poor sap who doesnt know what his rights are/afraid to stand up to them.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭Clandestine

ok

• Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Great Story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

Needs more dragons and sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I know how you feel OP.

I have a stash of clandestinely-taken photos of Beangardaí under my bed too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

In the meantime, the other guy got away.

Well played OP !!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

You're so cool

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

female gardai can't search you without your permission if you're a male and vice versa.

Edit: possibly wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Adidas bottoms?

Well if it looks like a scummer and it walks like a scummer.... Unless of course you were on your way to the gym? Or the dry cleaners to pick up your normal adult clothes?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭DwightSchrute1

I wonder which actor will play the OP in the movie of that story

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,054 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Prodigious wrote: »
    Needs more dragons and sh*t.

AdamOHare wrote: »
    There I was walking through town when two ban-garda decided for whatever elitist reasons they were going to invade my privacy and search me/quiz me and demand my life story, because apparantly I fit a description of somebody that was causing hassle earlier in the week. Really officer and which similarities would those be now: the old dreaded shaved head and addidas bottoms look (because of course the guy earlier in the week is probably still wearing those adidas bottoms).

Obviously these asswipes thought I was just going to stand there and take their $hite when I remembered one of the lads was telling me that they have to talk to you 'as Gaeilge' if you request it. Looking at their faces I dont think either of these ladies ever heard a word of Irish in their lives. Long story short they threatened to take me back to the station if I wouldnt let them search me or give them my details or start speaking in English. Pleased with how well I could remember Irish from school I was pretty much able to answer everything they asked (as gaelige of course) and told them they could search away if they ask me in Irish- the look on their faces was priceless.

Onlookers started gathering at this stage and heckling at them and telling them to get lost and hassle someone else.

So they didnt live up to their threats in the end, they didnt arrest me, and they didnt even search me. They instead moved swiftly on, probably to harrass some other poor sap who doesnt know what his rights are/afraid to stand up to them.

18bc9de4ee604349a8c174c.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

Scumbags rarely change their clothes. Well done on beating The Man op.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

So did you nick the other guys Addidas bottoms or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,265 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

You're so cool, can I be your friend?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

There I was walking through town when two ban-garda decided for whatever elitist reasons they were going to invade my privacy and search me/quiz me and demand my life story, because apparantly I fit a description of somebody that was causing hassle earlier in the week.
    Your command of the Irish language is impressive, no wonder they couldn't understand you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Thread backfire of the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AdamOHare

Oranage2 wrote: »
    female gardai can't search you without your permission if you're a male and vice versa.

Thats handy to know. Something else to use against them the next time they start acting up :rolleyes:

As far as I'm aware, the whole having Irish rule was removed from the Garda force and is only a necessity when you are placed in a Gaeltacht. Were you in one, OP? Probably not. Then you were just another smart arse making an already difficult job that much harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

endacl wrote: »
    Thread backfire of the day?

nah we're still due a re-post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

While I might regard the OP with some scepticism I'd have loved to see it if it did happen.

Thats handy to know. Something else to use against them the next time they start acting up :rolleyes:

It's not actually correct though so don't expect it to work.

As far as I'm aware, the whole having Irish rule was removed from the Garda force and is only a necessity when you are placed in a Gaeltacht. Were you in one, OP? Probably not. Then you were just another smart arse making an already difficult job that much harder.

You are still entitled to be dealt with in Irish. They need not be able to have a conversation with you but should be able to convey a demand. In many cases a Garda without Irish will look for a Garda with Irish to join them. At that stage it will get awkward for someone like the op who has only got a marginal level and was taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

Yes, its terrible the way they go around acting up while trying to catch the bad guys :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AdamOHare

Your command of the Irish language is impressive, no wonder they couldn't understand you.

lol... yeh maybe thats what it was alright :D Either way it was funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Were they daycent looking op? You could have let them feel you up. It might have been fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

lol... yeh maybe thats what it was alright :D Either way it was funny.
    Obviously you had to be there.

I wonder which actor will play the OP in the movie of that story

I hear Aiden Gillen is on standby.

• Advertisement

Jake1 wrote: »
    I hear Aiden Gillen is on standby.

Keanu Reeves has been quiet lately. He might be up for it. It has a taste of the Matrix plot about it.

Advertisement