Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Music sales are not affected by web piracy"

Options
  • 20-03-2013 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21856720
    A report published by the European Commission Joint Research Committee claims that music web piracy does not harm legitimate sales.

The Institute for Prospective Technological Studies examined the online habits of 16,000 Europeans.

They also found that freely streamed music provided a small boost to sales figures.

"According to our results, a 10% increase in clicks on legal streaming websites lead to up to a 0.7% increase in clicks on legal digital purchases websites," claimed the report.

Interesting study...

I'm going to be honest and admit I have pirated stuff on the web but I think I only did it because I could, what I mean is if I had to pay for it I wouldn't bother downloading it, strange but true...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

"internet piracy" you say? What a strange phenomena....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I have pirated and will continue to do so, I rarely pirate music these days because of iTunes and spotify. I also use netflix for movies and tv shows. Spotify and netflix are very new services in this country, both starting in 2012, before that peopls options were very limited.I have no problem paying for stuff it's just that if companies don't give me the opportunity to do so then I will find some other way to consume that media, simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭SebBerkovich

I've been buying music ever since I've been able to afford it... when i was younger/broker spending 15 quid on an album didn't have a strong appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

I've had this discussion with friends before.

If you weren't going to buy it anyway, what harm is it to download it? It's a victimless crime! The producer loses nothing.

However, if it's something I would have bought I generally do feel a pang of guilt when I stroll on over to The Pirate Bay and sometimes do pay for it if I want to support the producer (eg: small band, decent software/game company).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Piracy is still dumb. If you like music, it's only fair to throw a few bob the artist's way. But meh, everyone but the big publishing companies already knew piracy wasn't really a threat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Yes........the poor artists.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

I think the biggest threat piracy poses is to Internet freedom more than anything really. As long as it exists governments will always have an excuse to try to curtail Internet freedom. Now so far here that hasn't happened because of public outcry when it has been tried but that's no reason for us to take things as granted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

some stuff you feel justifies buying some dont so you download it to see what its like, and later on you get into a band you wouldnt have and end up spending more money on the band which you wouldnt have without piracy

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

Amanda Palmer makes a really good point in this TED talk. Make everything available for whatever price people want to pay, and they'll generally pay. I think in the whole piracy discussion, that can be forgotten.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

With Spotify and Netflix about, I have pretty much no need to pirate anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

If I can get the exact same quality song free online as for €1.29 on iTunes then why not, if I like a song and can't find a decent quality version online I buy it off iTunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I have paid to see artists who I never would have heard of were it not for youtube etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

That Rebecca Black concert rocked!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Sarky wrote: »
    Piracy is still dumb. If you like music, it's only fair to throw a few bob the artist's way.

I do, but in the form of merch and buying gig tickets. Haven't purchased music that wasn't made by a friend since Dustin's Christmas Hits in 1998 - and I don't feel bad about that in the slightest.

The music industry is absolutely borked. Came across a great article on here the other day but in typical fashion I can't find it again. Basically showed how ridiculously greedy everyone involved in producing a record has become and how it is increasingly difficult for artists to make any money from record sales - if anyone can find it that'd be lovely. Specifically used 30 Seconds to Mars as an example, they ended up still owing their record company millions despite huge sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

I heard that most artists these days get their money from touring not from album sales , or at least very little from album sales. Its all the corperates who make the money off the sales so I have no issue with downloading free music. (Not that I do much downloading of free music btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

maximoose wrote: »
    I do, but in the form of merch and buying gig tickets. Haven't purchased music that wasn't made by a friend since Dustin's Christmas Hits in 1998 - and I don't feel bad about that in the slightest.

I still buy plenty of music, just not in shops. I've spent a fair bit online for various albums and soundtracks you often can't get in a shop. I have no qualms about handing over a tenner for the equivalent of a 2-CD album of really good music.

People deserve credit for entertaining you with their work. I'm not paying €15 for a CD when only pennies of that end up in their pocket. I can go to the source online, give them far more money per song, and still end up paying a fraction of that €15. The artist is happy, and can afford to keep making music. I'm happy, and can afford to buy more of it. Everyone involved wins.

And if ZZ Top should happen to be playing in Cork this summer (and they are), I'll happily buy a ticket (I did).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

it would be nice if more people 'pirated' sounds of the underground instead, even for the sake of circulation due to it being now so much easier to find and even offered up for free by those who made it but less and less people see to be tapping into that now in an ever tackier mainstream climate. I guess worthwhile counter culture has lost it's bite, in music.

Alarm bells stopped ringing and rusted over when nerds up in their podiums ensconced in their computers eventaully became the new rockstar anyhow, so fcuk it :D

The more people touring for revenue anyhow the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Most musicians don't set out to make money over the ability to live off their music, so as long as they can do that I don't feel guilty about downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Most musicians don't set out to make money over the ability to live off their music, so as long as they can do that I don't feel guilty about downloading.

lars-ulrich.jpg?w=490

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AdamOHare

My best mate buys in 500gig harddrives and then fills it up with music and sells it on for a 30quid profit. And 1 terabyte drive full of movies for a 50quid profit. If pirating was dead then he'd be out of business. Me thinks that article is probably wrong. I reckon pirating does effect sales to some extent or other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭md23040

AdamOHare wrote: »
    My best mate buys in 500gig harddrives and then fills it up with music and sells it on for a 30quid profit. And 1 terabyte drive full of movies for a 50quid profit. If pirating was dead then he'd be out of business. Me thinks that article is probably wrong. I reckon pirating does effect sales to some extent or other.

Normally would not wish schadenfreude on anyone but your best mate deserves the book thrown at him with a hefty fine and whatever other penalties can be imposed for parasitically leeching from other peoples works without any form of recognition.

No one really cares about someone downloading the odd bit of music or film as no one really gets hurt, and there's no opportunity lost if someone wasn't going to buy it anyway. But what your best mate is doing remains quite different and deplorable IMO.

Rant Over

md23040 wrote: »
    Normally would not wish schadenfreude on anyone but your best mate deserves the book thrown at him with a hefty fine and whatever other penalties can be imposed for parasitically leeching from other peoples works without any form of recognition.

No one really cares about someone downloading the odd bit of music or film as no one really gets hurt, and there's no opportunity lost if someone wasn't going to buy it anyway. But what your best mate is doing remains quite different and deplorable IMO.

Rant Over

I respect your opinion. But I dont think ethics/morals come into it with him. At the end of the day moneys tight for him and if it gets him some extra money then fair play. Like everyone has said so far. Its a victimless crime. He could out be selling drugs or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I respect your opinion. But I dont think ethics/morals come into it with him. At the end of the day moneys tight for him and if it gets him some extra money then fair play. Like everyone has said so far. Its a victimless crime. He could out be selling drugs or whatever.

Oh, the ironing is delicious.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=82830868&postcount=187

stimpson wrote: »

A bit of context is in order.

That was regarding a drug dealer getting caught smuggling a load of drugs at the border and everyone saying she should get off because the sentencing in that country is very strict..... but the thing is....people do get hurt that drug dealing crap.

What my mate doesnt leave his customers in debt/in hospital etc. Its a victimless crime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Alarm bells stopped ringing and rusted over when nerds up in their podiums ensconced in their computers eventaully became the new rockstar anyhow, so fcuk it :D

Are they though? David Bowie is currently #1 in the UK album charts with the fastest-selling album of the year thus far, and was only just pipped to top spot in the US by noted computer nerds Bon Jovi.

The likes of the Chemical Brothers and Daft Punk briefly threatened to herald a new era of dance superstars in the late 90s/early 00s, but it never really came to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I tend to download movies. All the music I listen to is almost always free, any way, and when the artists do release hard copies, I'll buy them because I'm a collector douchebag. Wolfbait and Ravenous are two examples. For movies, I watch a lot of free ones (Either because the copyright ran out, or it's just free, like The Amateur Monster Movie or Decay).

For bigger movies, like Dredd or whatever, ones that you have to pay to see, I'll generally download it first. I can't afford to buy something that will end up being awful. I liked Dredd, so I'm on the lookout for somewhere to buy it, and I might just end up getting it online.

A lot of my music has been pirated, a lot of it is free. A few years ago I released a CD-R that I just couldn't get many people to buy. Then, it ended up being pirated, and I sold out within two weeks. It could just be coincidence, but I think the fact that people had access to it, and could hear if it was something they'd like, pushed people to want to own it, and now I have people that are more likely to purchase from me when I release stuff.

The end.

EDIT: And on the subject of piracy being a "Victimless crime," it's not. Who do you think suffers the most? The fat cats? The artist? The lady whose job it is to type shit up? The dude who is basically a wage slave? Who do you think gets fired, or has their paycheck cut? The secretary on just above minimum wage, with a kid or two and a mortgage, ends up making less or gets fired. She is a victim of piracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Apple take 70% of the €1,29 you pay for a song. Amazon and apple both I believe run their whole European music stores from Luxembourg to avoid VAT on the download sales. So they stop governments collecting tax revenue.

Then whatever is left from the €1,29 you pay goes to the record company, lawyers, accountants and finally the artist.

In the end they get **** all and they know it. They know the way to make money is merchandising and touring. Dr dre made $100 million off beats alone last year.

Paying for music is gone but artist have never been richer

There were always ways to pirate media, it was the music industry that did itself more harm than anything else by holding up the development of online media sales in the first place. For a long time, even on the all powerful Apple iTunes store you couldn't buy music from certain artists (The Beatles, AC/DC, Led Zeppelin etc.) and when users preferred digital media, why bother going to a bricks and mortar store to buy something when there was an easier way to get the music illegally.

There's plenty of holier than thou people around forums that will look down on others as if you just slaughtered a lamb on their doorstep for downloading stuff illegally but the reality of the situation was never that clear cut. The industry was so afraid of allowing their music to be made available digitally that it became available digitally via peer2peer illegal file sharing before it became digitally available the legal way. Once that had happened, so many people had learned the oh so easy, illegal and free way to get it that switching to the legal, but not free way, was never a logical step for some (a moral step for others). If they had made the cheap legal digital downloads available quicker (I'm not talking about just iTunes here) they could have stood to make way more money than they did (and maybe even curtail the illegal file sharing boom that happened in the early 2000's).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

A bit of context is in order.

That was regarding a drug dealer getting caught smuggling a load of drugs at the border and everyone saying she should get off because the sentencing in that country is very strict..... but the thing is....people do get hurt that drug dealing crap.

What my mate doesnt leave his customers in debt/in hospital etc. Its a victimless crime.

You said:

I hope she gets it to be honest. Im sick of hearing about her and listening to all the bleeding heart druggies who want her to walk away scott free just because in their minds what she did isnt a crime.

So, anyway.... How much do you...eh...I mean your mate want for a hard drive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

md23040 wrote: »

Rant Over

If you wished schadenfreude on someone you would be wishing that they felt pleasure at the misfortune of someone else. Which would be strange.

Advertisement