Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Fibre Rollout Mapping

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭limerick_woody

Is there any chance i might get 10Mbps? - it would improve what i currently get (closer to 2) - i'm not sure about Imagine - it seems to me that that service is likely to start well but fade as it fills the 400 client quota - and i will be stuck in an 18 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,516 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

PKY1-E01 is my local exchange.

Any idea when i might be offered eFibre based on all this?

Just to add to ED_E's post, you must be within 1.5km of the exchange, phoneline route, to avail of efibre.

I think i am possibly within 1.5km - i am hopeful at least. But at some point Eir will be able to confirm/deny this?

Is there any chance i might get 10Mbps? - it would improve what i currently get (closer to 2)
    I think i am possibly within 1.5km - i am hopeful at least. But at some point Eir will be able to confirm/deny this?

If you can access your modem stats and look for the downstream attenuation figure and post it into an ADSL speed calculator it'll give you your approx. line distance

The irelandoffline map indicates the Pallaskenry exchange was ADSL1 (up to 8mbps) but according to the figures you posted it appears to have been upgraded to ADSL2+ (up to 24mbps), give them a call and see if you can be upgraded.

My current stats:

Speed: 7168 kbps/384 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 30.5 dB/ 19.5 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 11.5 dB/ 13.0 dB

Would i need a new router for the ADSL2+ ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is there any chance i might get 10Mbps? - it would improve what i currently get (closer to 2)
    My current stats:

Speed: 7168 kbps/384 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 30.5 dB/ 19.5 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 11.5 dB/ 13.0 dB

Would i need a new router for the ADSL2+ ?

These confirm its 2.2KM out. The good news is right now your speed is due to congestion, not distance.

The good news:
    You wont get eFibre
    But you will get 10-12Mb ADSL 24/7 when the mini exchange becomes NGB. Unless you have a Netopia modem(And an old one) your modem is fine, its the exchange.
    The Cush wrote: »
    Just to add to ED_E's post, you must be within 1.5km of the exchange, phoneline route, to avail of efibre.

In his case its more like 2km, RSU with no remote cabs so vectoring from the get go.

ED E wrote: »
    These confirm its 2.2KM out. The good news is right now your speed is due to congestion, not distance.

The good news:
    You wont get eFibre
    But you will get 10-12Mb ADSL 24/7 when the mini exchange becomes NGB. Unless you have a Netopia modem(And an old one) your modem is fine, its the exchange.

According to the line checker info he posted earlier the exchange is NGB and live, could this be one of those cases we've seen posted here on a few occasions where the ADSL rack hasn't been moved over to the fibre backhaul?
    ED E wrote: »
    In his case its more like 2km, RSU with no remote cabs so vectoring from the get go.

According to the open-eir network map the exchange is up to 70Mb/s at the moment, unvectored/1.5km?

Pallaskenry (PKY1_E01)

350 premises in this exchange can now access up to 70Mb/s fibre broadband. open eir's FTTH 2017-2020 rollout programme with speeds up to 1000Mb/s includes premises in this exchange area.

I have a D1000 modem? I called them today and they tell me i can get upgraded to 12Mbps - i guess this is ADSL2+?

I have a D1000 modem? I called them today and they tell me i can get upgraded to 12Mbps - i guess this is ADSL2+?

Let us know how you get on, speed etc. I wonder if the old ADSL1 rack hasn't been transferred over to the fibre backhaul as everyone will eventually be moved over to the ADSL2 rack?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The line checker can be slow to get with the times I've noticed, so perhaps a call to eir is needed if there is doubt

• Advertisement

Let us know how you get on, speed etc. I wonder if the old ADSL1 rack hasn't been transferred over to the fibre backhaul as everyone will eventually be moved over to the ADSL2 rack?

I'd guess you're currently on Broadband Home Plus, their old 3Mb legacy package. Its probably just an electronic order to wholesale and you'll be reprofiled onto a modern bistream product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

we finally got eFibre installed in Quin. About 900m/1000m from the cabinet
    Only getting 15Megabit down/5Megabit up. Still, we're happy as previously we had only mobile broadband with caps.

Line attenuation is 20.2dB/45.2dB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

we finally got eFibre installed in Quin. About 900m/1000m from the cabinet
    Only getting 15Megabit down/5Megabit up. Still, we're happy as previously we had only mobile broadband with caps.

Line attenuation is 20.2dB/45.2dB

The attenuation shows a distance of ~1400m, so 15Mbps is the speed rating for that distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I'm at LCN1_024 in Lucan. Looks like I'm going to be on NGN forever. Just dying to rid myself of Virgin Media tbh.

I'm guessing Eir have no intentions of implementing any sort of programme in suburban Dublin until the schticks are sorted.

I'm at LCN1_024 in Lucan. Looks like I'm going to be on NGN forever. Just dying to rid myself of Virgin Media tbh.

I'm guessing Eir have no intentions of implementing any sort of programme in suburban Dublin until the schticks are sorted.

What VM package are you on?

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭PopIT

The Ardrahan fibre cabinet is now live. Must have gone live somtime over the weekend. It is designated ADN1_E01.

What now? I have my service from Sky. Do I change over automaticaly or do I have to call to get changed over.

I know I am just outside the range of it to get any increase in speed but am hoping at least to get contention free which should give a more stable connection. Right?

Over the past few days I have seen speeds fluctuating from 2.4 MB/s to 4.3 MB/s.

PopIT wrote: »
    I know I am just outside the range of it to get any increase in speed...

Over the past few days I have seen speeds fluctuating from 2.4 MB/s to 4.3 MB/s.

Mb not MB, important distinction.

You need the exchanges backhaul to be re-routed from radio to the optical aggregator. Nobody knows when that'll happen, from other exchanges it seems to be low on their to-do list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

How do I go about finding the exchange I'm connected to?

Wing126 wrote: »

Use this map. Drop the marker on your house and tick "Local Exchanges" and "Exchange Area" on the right-hand-side. It'll show you the name of your exchange and it's location.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Wing126 wrote: »
    MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Use this map. Drop the marker on your house and tick "Local Exchanges" and "Exchange Area" on the right-hand-side. It'll show you the name of your exchange and it's location.

A word of cation regarding that:

You may not necessarily be connected to the exchange or cabinet that is nearest to you. EG, if the Cab went in after a phone line was first connected to your building. even the Exchange Area can be wrong (like in my case) you could be connected to one that falls outside its own converge Area to you but works anyway (however slow)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Map updated @ www.fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when

Dates now up to 27 July & several FTTH exchanges have gone 'Fibre Build Commenced'.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Still not showing any plan for a site in Ennis despite the blue lines, should we expect anything in the next 5 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Still not showing any plan for a site in Ennis despite the blue lines, should we expect anything in the next 5 years?
    Have you heard of the NBP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

So it looks like I'm on BSZ1_E01 on ADSL2.... I'm not on either the core fibre route or the planned fibre route with the blue line... Doesn't look like I'll be getting fibre by 2020.

Got upgraded to the ADSL2+

DSL Mode : ITU G.992.5(ADSL2PLUS)
    Speed: 10266 kbps/670 kbps
    Line Attenuation(Down/Up): 31.5 dB/ 19.3 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 6.4 dB/ 18.9 dB

Not great - but some improvement from what i was getting. I won't be getting fibre any time soon after today's news i think.

Not great - but some improvement from what i was getting.

Better than your previous 2 Mbps at any rate, thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

I saw the Eircom lads at my local cabinet the other morning and as I am quite rural I thought nothing of it as I didn't expect to see fibre down my way for the foreseeable future at least. However, I've checked the map very kindly posted a few posts up and to my surprise it says that fibre build has commenced at the cabinet. A few questions:

Is there a general timeframe for how long it takes from build being commenced to the fibre being ready to go and activated?

Also, I'm about 500 meters away from said cabinet per that map. Is it nailed on that I will pick up fibre? I'm currently getting a maximum speed of around 2.6MB, so even anything hitting about 10MB would feel like I've moved to South Korea. :pac:

I'd be interested to know what the process is in terms of getting a cabinet fibre ready? Is there anywhere I could read up on this please?

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

My exchange DHL1_E01 has recently gone live (some stage last week I think). Now I am probably the best part of 5k from the exchange. Currently getting about 2.5mb but was hoping that the exchange upgrade might double this? Am I dreaming? The Eir website doesn't have my phone number in a fibre area anyway.

If not I am giving up on the landline and going to try the wireless route. Crowd near us offering 6mb for €40 a month.

deejer wrote: »
    My exchange DHL1_E01 has recently gone live (some stage last week I think). Now I am probably the best part of 5k from the exchange. Currently getting about 2.5mb but was hoping that the exchange upgrade might double this? Am I dreaming? The Eir website doesn't have my phone number in a fibre area anyway.

If not I am giving up on the landline and going to try the wireless route. Crowd near us offering 6mb for €40 a month.

Fire your number in here and see what it gives you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Fire your number in here and see what it gives you.

Ya same as the EIR website. The standard 4Mb.

Advertisement