Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people are the worst at making a deal ever

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Cienciano wrote: »
    Israelis are the worst. Saw 2 Israeli tourists trying to haggle down the price of a big mac meal in Bangkok once.
    Another Israeli guy, about 6 foot 5 and built like a brick shít house screaming at a thai girl who's about 7 years old over about 20 cent for a bag of washing.

What an extremely racist post.Way to go labelling an entire nation because of the actions of two people from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Sure I work in a supermarket, and I've had people trying to haggle with me on 80c bottles of milk like.

A few weeks ago, I sold my iphone 4S on gumtree, asking price was 300, some indian lad says I'l give you 300, meet up with him, phones all checks out, he says 'Oh I only brought 250 will you take that' I says 'Nah mate we agreed a price by text, I'l relist it on gumtree thanks. He then magically found the extra 50 quid in a wallet full of notes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

You would be a fool not to haggle in these difficult economic times, I got five hotel rooms in the West for 50Euro each but had been initially quoted 64Euro per room(same as price quoted on Booking.com) I had no problem asking for a better deal and the hotel offered a better deal,if you don't ask you won't get it.I think the older generation have no problem with haggling but my sons in their 20's would never do it (too embarassed) BTW I don't haggle over the grocery bills in the supermarket.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

Kinski wrote: »
    I don't get the US tipping culture at all. There's an article here by a former bartender from New York; I really sympathise with her* having to put up with a lot of the crap she describes for so little pay, but "Anything less than 20 percent is blasphemy"?

I don't want to have to think about tips this way, a tip is roughly 10% to me. And buybacks? Wtf? How about the bar pays their staff a living wage, and I tip if I feel like it (and I guarantee I'll never be asking a member of staff to "buy me a round.")

*Though she does lose some points for thinking Bud Light is a credible lager of choice...

A lot of people in Ireland don't get it. It blows my mind that people don't get it. It's basic economics.

When you go to a restaurant, you pay the owner's costs, the owner's profit, and the staff's wages. This is how it works everywhere, all the time...or else the establishment would go out of business. There is nowhere else this money can come from. So if people didn't pay tips, the owner has to pay that money to the staff (or else they couldn't survive).

The wages bill is probably the owners biggest expense, so where is he supposed to get the money to basically double his wages bill? There is only one option: add it onto the price that you the customer pays.

So now you're back to square 1, paying at least as much as you would have anyway - except now you have no discretion. There is no incentive for the staff to work hard, and most importantly, no reward for those who are willing to work harder.

When I worked in restaurants in Ireland we all used to want to work the quiet days, because you were paid by the hour, so that was much better. But obviously that sucked from the owner's and customer's points of view. Lots of my friends are waiters/waitresses in the US, the the big difference is, they compete with each other to work the busiest nights. Much better system. But sadly a lot of people don't tip properly because they are opposed to letting money go when they're not absolutely forced to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

firefly08 wrote: »
    A lot of people in Ireland don't get it. It blows my mind that people don't get it. It's basic economics.

When you go to a restaurant, you pay the owner's costs, the owner's profit, and the staff's wages. This is how it works everywhere, all the time...or else the establishment would go out of business. There is nowhere else this money can come from. So if people didn't pay tips, the owner has to pay that money to the staff (or else they couldn't survive).

The wages bill is probably the owners biggest expense, so where is he supposed to get the money to basically double his wages bill? There is only one option: add it onto the price that you the customer pays.

So now you're back to square 1, paying at least as much as you would have anyway - except now you have no discretion. There is no incentive for the staff to work hard, and most importantly, no reward for those who are willing to work harder.

When I worked in restaurants in Ireland we all used to want to work the quiet days, because you were paid by the hour, so that was much better. But obviously that sucked from the owner's and customer's points of view. Lots of my friends are waiters/waitresses in the US, the the big difference is, they compete with each other to work the busiest nights. Much better system. But sadly a lot of people don't tip properly because they are opposed to letting money go when they're not absolutely forced to.

There is also an inherent unfairness in it, because people are expected to tip a certain amount in reality. The system you describe only works when the amount tipped is purely discretionary but staff in the US expect tips of 2xTax. The amount that is expected is not based on the service, why should a waiter be maid more for opening an expensive bottle of wine rather than a cheap bottle of plonk?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

T'ping is a place in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭firefly08

There is also an inherent unfairness in it, because people are expected to tip a certain amount in reality. The system you describe only works when the amount tipped is purely discretionary but staff in the US expect tips of 2xTax. The amount that is expected is not based on the service, why should a waiter be maid more for opening an expensive bottle of wine rather than a cheap bottle of plonk?

That's a good point - why should it have anything to do with the value of what they brought you, if the effort is the same for them? Well with the example of a bottle of wine, it doesn't make much sense, I agree. But then, you are not obliged to pay any particular amount (or any tip at all in fact) so you could leave a lower tip for this, if it's just a bottle of wine (the standard for beers is $1 per drink regardless, even if it's Guinness which takes twice the time and effort)

But, I'd say most of the time, pricier bottles of wine tend to come with higher end stuff all round: more expensive food etc. and higher standards of upkeep around the place etc. - it all takes more effort. You'll probably be served by someone who'e better trained etc. Of course, some people couldn't care less about that stuff - but it does cost more money!

You can always find a place that doesn't make as much effort on these things, and if they serve the same expensive wine, you can probably get away with tipping less. There's no hard and fast rule....it's more a sense of what's appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

WERTYUI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

What an extremely racist post.Way to go labelling an entire nation because of the actions of two people from it.

Why is it racist?

Loads of people say Scottish people are mean, I've heard it said that Welsh people are mean.
    We all know Cavan people are mean.

Yet when it's an Israeli it somehow becomes racist.

Pathetic!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

But the OP's post isn't "racist"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

humbert wrote: »
    So basically your complaint is that people put up an advertised price and wont accept less than the advertised price?

Hate people that have to haggle over every fucking little thing.

Exactly.

If the ad said 100 ono fair enough but its if it says 100 and you offer 90. Well i would question your education.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Racist much?
    Not at all actually but feel free to get your knickers in a twist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

'Herro. You buy? Special price for you my friend.'

jasus, might as well be in dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I find Irish people are good at bargaining. Not for a bag of chips or trolley of groceries but for cars and cattle, that kind of stuff.

We do have travellers that call to the house every so often selling gates or tools, I find it facinating when they're haggling with the farmers around here, it's mighty. It could only be the difference of €20 but that alone could make or break the sale worth €300.

Advertisement