Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people are the worst at making a deal ever

Options
  • 03-04-2013 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

They just won't budge on price , they want to make back exactly what they paid for it , or what they heard the next man got.

Can't haggle with them....

Examples

Went on done deal to buy a new mixing desk , found one , the seller wanted €1000 , offered him €900 , said no , offered €950 , he said no. Bought the same desk on Ebay delivered for €850. Same desk is still on done deal and was relisted yesterday for €900.

Wife wanted tailors dummy , found one in Dublin €75 offered the guy €65 said no , wouldn't budge on price , found identical dummy in poland delivered €65 , Dublin tailors dummy is still for sale @ €75.

Buying a car , found one on Done Deal , offered €200 below asking price(which was unrealistic) seller wouldn't budge , went and bought similar car for what I was offering original seller , car was relisted last week at price I originally offered.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

This drives me mad! People not even coming back with a counter offer, just saying no, I couldn't let it go for that. Expecting me to keep upping my offer. If they won't engage I won't waste my time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

I used to work in Eason and someone tried to haggle down the price of a book. :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

Emm, I was on the seller side the other day, and I acted exactly like to "c u next tuesday" you're talking about. It's the guys fault. I lowered my price by a tenner, and the raytard just kept pushing it. I would let it go for what he was offering, but he acted like such bellend, I mean he was so desperate at the end he wanted to split a fiver. Of course after I just told him to piss off, 3 minutes later he found a way better deal for a lower price. Also he kept texting not calling, and using that stupid "txt speak". What did he expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

mixery wrote: »
    Emm, I was on the seller side the other day, and I acted exactly like to "c u next tuesday" you're talking about. It's the guys fault. I lowered my price by a tenner, and the raytard just kept pushing it. I would let it go for what he was offering, but he acted like such bellend, I mean he was so desperate at the end he wanted to split a fiver. Of course after I just told him to piss off, 3 minutes later he found a way better deal for a lower price. Also he kept texting not calling, and using that stupid "txt speak". What did he expect?

What? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

What exactly didn't you undestand, I'll clarify it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

I understand it must be frustrating when you're buying a car/something off a seller online, but spare a thought for everyone in retail who deals with muppets attempting to haggle on a daily basis.

Eddie fúcking Hobbes has a lot to answer for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

What's the problem? The seller wants a certain price, and they've advertised the price they want honestly. Why are you complaining? Surely that saves a lot of time, instead of having to contact lots of people and see how much each is willing to haggle?

When I sell my iPhone, I'll advertise it for 1 million euros, and leave the buyer haggle me down to the real price and he'll feel great about himself..

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

mixery wrote: »
    Emm, I was on the seller side the other day, and I acted exactly like to "c u next tuesday" you're talking about. It's the guys fault. I lowered my price by a tenner, and the raytard just kept pushing it. I would let it go for what he was offering, but he acted like such bellend, I mean he was so desperate at the end he wanted to split a fiver. Of course after I just told him to piss off, 3 minutes later he found a way better deal for a lower price. Also he kept texting not calling, and using that stupid "txt speak". What did he expect?[/QUOTE

thanks for that,made my day there raytard,bellend,3 minutes later,better deal for a lower price. HA HA HA.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,641 ✭✭✭Hardonraging

All you have to do is take a look at adverts.ie to get an idea of the farce that we as a nation are when it comes to buying and selling .. Item for sale .. 100 euro ... Offer you 30 .. sure ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I find it so fricken annoying when selling stuff on DD and I clearly state that the price is firm and the lowest I am willing to take so no offers and I still get retards asking 'what's your best price?' Or 'will you take xxx?' Fuc ktards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Tell it to Germany!

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

All you have to do is take a look at adverts.ie to get an idea of the farce that we as a nation are when it comes to buying and selling .. Item for sale .. 100 euro ... Offer you 30 .. sure ...

that's an insulting offer fair enough,but whenever I have sold anything or bought online or whatever,a bit of haggling is the norm to be fair,and in general about 10 percent off is about the way it works out,unless what im buying is in bad shape or needs work.ie a car

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

So basically your complaint is that people put up an advertised price and wont accept less than the advertised price?

Hate people that have to haggle over every fucking little thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I love haggling. It always amazes me when I'm selling something that people pay the asking price no question when I'm fully prepared to come down 20 or 30 percent. More fool them.:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Professor Xavier

I went to see a landlord about renting a room. The room was way over priced and I offered him a lower price. I expected him to come back with a counter offer, as you do when you don't agree but his response was to fart right in front of me and walk off. He wouldn't even negotiate when I was willing to raise the price. A lot of people in this country seem to get offended if you try and haggle with them. I think the Catholic Church outlawed at one stage.

I went to see a landlord about renting a room. The room was way over priced and I offered him a lower price. I expected him to come back with a counter offer, as you do when you don't agree but his response was to fart right in front of me and walk off. He wouldn't even negotiate when I was willing to raise the price. A lot of people in this country seem to get offended if you try and haggle with them. I think the Catholic Church outlawed at one stage.

What was he asking and what was your offer?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

Well maybe he thought once he included the fart it was worth the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

I own a retail store and had a customer drive from Dublin in a panic on Christmas Eve to buy some items. We closed at 2pm I think and made that clear on the phone, they said they'd be there on the dot. Didn't show up until 2.35, being Christmas Eve I had plenty to do myself.

I'd kept the shop open just for him, your man then puts the stuff up on the counter and then starts asking what my best price was. Couldn't believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

As a seller, best to have the initial price raised and let the buyer haggle down to the price you would have taken in the first place.

Buyers always want to feel they have won the battle, personally I couldn't care less (give or take a few euros) so long as I end up with the profit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Most things are negotiable.
    You cant barter down your shopping bill in Lidl :p But if you are buying anything significant, like a few hundred euro on a tv for example, you damn well should haggle.

But it has to be said that buyers are tight pricks too. I like to browse around on adverts.ie alot and you see jerks low-balling the crap out of people. Something is going for 60 - "i'll offer you a tenner" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

I work in a small country car garage and we have this ould lad who comes in the whole time haggling the final price on work all the time.

So i started adding an extra €20 on the bill an he would come in a haggle away down to my 'original' intended invoice..he was happy because he got 20 quid of the final bill and i get paid what im entitled too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

A lot of people here would be p*ssed off to high heaven visiting an Arabic country or SE Asia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

We used to go to the markets up the north, my Dad was a great auld hand at the haggling. He would have them eating out of his hand and following us around the place and then, nah changed me mind! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

A lot of people here would be p*ssed off to high heaven visiting an Arabic country or SE Asia.

actually sounds lovely to me.

I was selling a motorbike a few weeks ago.
    asked 3600.it was 07
    A bellend ring me up offers 2600,I said 3400 is bottom dollar.
    he ring me back says he found a 08 same model for 2800.
    If I'd take 2800 he'd take mine.
    I said enjoy your 08 suzuki ya prick.

got 3400 for it the next day

Low baller's drive me mad

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Ruubot2 wrote: »
    We used to go to the markets up the north, my Dad was a great auld hand at the haggling. He would have them eating out of his hand and following us around the place and then, nah changed me mind! :)

With all due respect, I think your dad might have crossed that fine line between haggling and being a complete asshole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

zeds alive wrote: »
    They just won't budge on price , they want to make back exactly what they paid for it , or what they heard the next man got.

Can't haggle with them....

Examples

Went on done deal to buy a new mixing desk , found one , the seller wanted €1000 , offered him €900 , said no , offered €950 , he said no. Bought the same desk on Ebay delivered for €850. Same desk is still on done deal and was relisted yesterday for €900.

Wife wanted tailors dummy , found one in Dublin €75 offered the guy €65 said no , wouldn't budge on price , found identical dummy in poland delivered €65 , Dublin tailors dummy is still for sale @ €75.

Buying a car , found one on Done Deal , offered €200 below asking price(which was unrealistic) seller wouldn't budge , went and bought similar car for what I was offering original seller , car was relisted last week at price I originally offered.

Tight arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

yup :pac:

I'd avoid markets there tbh, as it wrecks my head that the seller won't set the actual price they want and stick to it. However, it's their tradition so I wouldn't get into it. We seem to have both traditions here and get ourselves in knots because it comes across as the height of rudeness when

1. A haggler meets a fixed-price seller and tries to knock off a few bob, or
    2. A fixed-price buyer meets a selling haggler and turns them down and walks off to buy elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭dybbuk

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    so i started adding an extra €20 on the bill
    This nicely illustrates how uncooperative behavior impedes the entire economy.
    Imagine you succeed in making "this ould lad" happy and he brings his buddy and "this ould lad"Nr2 will obviously want to get a better discount than his Nr1 friend.
    Soon you'll be issuing overpriced invoices and damage the reputation of the business.

On the scale of advert.ie it might be just a bit of a waste of time. But the same is happening in the entire residential property market and in the rental market people (AFAIK at least many landlords) are absolutely antisocial. :(

Here is a link to an interesting presentation on this subject.
    I wonder how different the results of this research would be if one was to recruit the folks from adverts.ie for this study.

Advertisement