Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish people are the worst at making a deal ever

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

humbert wrote: »
    With all due respect, I think your dad might have crossed that fine line between haggling and being a complete asshole.

I would fully agree, he knew it too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

folan wrote: »
    actually sounds lovely to me.

'Herro. You buy? Special price for you my friend.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I was selling a Samsung Galaxy S3 on Done Deal. Buyer agrees price on phone, then shows up at the meeting place. Two indian lads in a black mercedes. They spend about a year inspecting it, then offer 50 less than agreed. I said "Right, give me the phone back so, and I'll head", and he pleaded to stay. He then went up to a tenner less than agreed, which would have been grand if he hadn't been a knob. So on principle I wouldn't let him off the tenner. He spent literally 15 minutes arguing for the tenner, then resigned and pulls out the right money, leaving a heap of 50s still in the wallet.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,235 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Israelis are the worst. Saw 2 Israeli tourists trying to haggle down the price of a big mac meal in Bangkok once.
    Another Israeli guy, about 6 foot 5 and built like a brick shít house screaming at a thai girl who's about 7 years old over about 20 cent for a bag of washing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

zeds alive wrote: »
    They just won't budge on price..
    Can't haggle with them....
    I view this as a good thing. Your title should be "Irish people do not like haggling".

I wish there was no such thing as haggling here, then I would be saying we "are the best at making/doing deals" no pissing about.
    A lot of people here would be p*ssed off to high heaven visiting an Arabic country or SE Asia.
    Yep, really pissed me off, made shopping around a nightmare as you had to spend ages going through each item, trying to remember them all and going back again.

Its a needless fucking rigmarole. There must be something to do as payback.

I also hated being in the US and dealing with both tipping culture (esp. jobs with people purposely being paid below min wage) and I was also annoyed with the sales tax -just tell me the fucking amount of money I have to give you, I am good at maths but don't want to do it in my free time.
    All you have to do is take a look at adverts.ie to get an idea of the farce that we as a nation are when it comes to buying and selling .. Item for sale .. 100 euro ... Offer you 30 .. sure ...
    Adverts is like a auction in reverse, you come on and quote high, just in case some eejit might pay it, some people do not know where you can get items at a good price. Then people get a foot in with a lowball incase you are really stuck to offload it and nobody else comes along, I would have no issue with somebody quoting a really low one on adverts. So you can basically ignore the asking price, and ignore the first price offered and see the 3rd or 4th offer to see what is really the going rate. I think it works quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭dybbuk

Der Führer never haggled and was appreciated by his entourage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

The worst on adverts is when someone is selling a jumper for like €5 and someone offers €3

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Cienciano wrote: »
    Israelis are the worst. Saw 2 Israeli tourists trying to haggle down the price of a big mac meal in Bangkok once.
    Another Israeli guy, about 6 foot 5 and built like a brick shít house screaming at a thai girl who's about 7 years old over about 20 cent for a bag of washing.
    You mean Jews? :pac:

No, Israeli

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

jimmy180sx wrote: »
    I work in a small country car garage and we have this ould lad who comes in the whole time haggling the final price on work all the time.

So i started adding an extra €20 on the bill an he would come in a haggle away down to my 'original' intended invoice..he was happy because he got 20 quid of the final bill and i get paid what im entitled too.

Yep, this is what i'm talking about right here. Nice work & everyone's happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Problem123456

No, Israeli

Yeah jews

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

rubadub wrote: »
    I also hated being in the US and dealing with both tipping culture (esp. jobs with people purposely being paid below min wage) and I was also annoyed with the sales tax -just tell me the fucking amount of money I have to give you, I am good at maths but don't want to do it in my free time.

I don't get the US tipping culture at all. There's an article here by a former bartender from New York; I really sympathise with her* having to put up with a lot of the crap she describes for so little pay, but "Anything less than 20 percent is blasphemy"?

I don't want to have to think about tips this way, a tip is roughly 10% to me. And buybacks? Wtf? How about the bar pays their staff a living wage, and I tip if I feel like it (and I guarantee I'll never be asking a member of staff to "buy me a round.")

*Though she does lose some points for thinking Bud Light is a credible lager of choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Kinski wrote: »
    I really sympathise with her* having to put up with a lot of the crap she describes for so little pay, but "Anything less than 20 percent is blasphemy"?
    But she doesn't say what she takes home. If she is regularly getting 20% it could be a fortune. I remember guys in college going to work in bars in the US just for 2 days around paddys day, the tips were paying for the flights, getting paid like brain surgeons!
    Most service industry workers make about $2.13 an hour, far below minimum wage. My livelihood is my tip.
    She seems ignorant about the min wage, it seems since 2009 it is guaranteed.
    The Fair Labor Standards Act requires a minimum wage of $2.13 for tipped workers with the expectation that wages plus tips total $7.25 per hour. The employer must pay the difference if total income does not add up to $7.25 per hour

My livelihood is my tip. And I know without a doubt, I never give service that is worth less than 20 percent.
    What the fuck does she do to deserve $20 to open a $100 bottle of wine (I can imagine the answers to that by the way)

Yeah jews
    Make whatever antisemitic assumptions you want, but don't apply them to my story. The guys were Israeli, no idea what religion they were. Met plenty of american jews away, never seen them behave like that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Janey_Mac

starlings wrote: »
    1. A haggler meets a fixed-price seller and tries to knock off a few bob, or
    2. A fixed-price buyer meets a selling haggler and turns them down and walks off to buy elsewhere.

I think this happened me at a shoe-repair place the other week. I had never got any of my shoes repaired before, so when he told me how much it'd cost to get a new zip on my boots and have them re-soled, I just nodded. I then got really confused by how he acted.

"That adds up to be quite expensive!" he said.

"Cheaper than a new pair of boots," I said with a shrug.

"But still, that is quite a bit of money."

"Yeah, but I want to get the boots fixed so I'll pay it." etc etc.

After a couple of rounds of him telling me it's expensive and me telling him I'll pay, he knocks €20 off the price he gave me initially for no discernable reason.

I was dead confused after until it dawned on me that he thought I should be haggling. It was a bit Life of Brian really.

If he wants his customers to haggle he should put up a sign or something. I'd have haggled if I'd known I was meant to!

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭jimmy180sx

Janey_Mac wrote: »
    I think this happened me at a shoe-repair place the other week. I had never got any of my shoes repaired before, so when he told me how much it'd cost to get a new zip on my boots and have them re-soled, I just nodded. I then got really confused by how he acted.

After a couple of rounds of him telling me it's expensive and me telling him I'll pay, he knocks €20 off the price he gave me initially for no discernable reason.

I was dead confused after until it dawned on me that he thought I should be haggling. It was a bit Life of Brian really.

If he wants his customers to haggle he should put up a sign or something. I'd have haggled if I'd known I was meant to!

Im also a cobbler on every other day

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

I used to work in Eason and someone tried to haggle down the price of a book. :-/

Surely he could have read the whole book over time there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

I used to work in Eason and someone tried to haggle down the price of a book. :-/

Yes, that's allowed by law, sticker prices are a guide, if you want to haggle you can. It can get emabarrasing of course and the shopkeeper doesn't have to budge.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

madalig12 wrote: »
    Yes, that's allowed by law, sticker prices are a guide, if you want to haggle you can. It can get emabarrasing of course and the shopkeeper doesn't have to budge.

Why wouldn't it be?
    I don't really like haggling myself but i wouldn't argue that it should be illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

So basically your complaint is that people put up an advertised price and wont accept less than the advertised price?

No , my complaint is that I offered a fair price every time , they could have sold it there and then , they refused to budge , lost a sale and ended up trying to sell the stuff at the original price I offered at a later date.
    I wouldn't offer someone €10 for something worth €100 , but I would offer them €90.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

Racist much?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

No, Israeli

Every Israeli is a jew, but not every jew is an Israeli.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

Racist much?

Lol, love the fact you made that username for that comment, awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

Janey_Mac wrote: »

That'd drive me mad, and also make me think the business is dodgy. Haggling is a load of cobblers. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

I don't think the Irish are poor at making any deals (farmers in cattle marts have generations of practice), but it is a hassle, and you have to build up a head of steam and be willing to walk away too. Also not insult anyone or leave a bad taste behind.
    Pain in the nuts really when it's dragged out back and forward.

My big problem is there are a heap of idiots with no money or intention to buy anything and are just bored out of their skulls and want to drive around looking at people's garages at TV's or cars or whatever.
    They are time wasters that spend their spare time messing up the whole buying and selling process.
    Imagine if they didn't exist, how nice a world it would be.

Same for the gob****es that make a nonsense offer 20 euro instead of a realistic opening offer of 100 euro. They have no intention of buying anything, just lonely with no hobbies and decide to text and call random people pretending they are buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭schnitzelEater

Lol, love the fact you made that username for that comment, awesome.

Computer says no to 'schnitzelMuncher', unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Henlars67 wrote: »

Not so:

In 2013, Israel's population was an estimated 7,993,100 people, of whom 6,022,800 are Jews.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israel

Henlars67 wrote: »

According to the Israel Central Bureau of Statistics, the population in 2011 was 75.4% Jewish, 20.6% Arab, and 4.1% minority groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

madalig12 wrote: »

But only the owners of the shop can lower the price. Your average retail worker has no say in pricing and would get in trouble for lowering prices. If it's a major chain then forget about it.

I once worked in Dunnes and when customers used to explain that something was expensive all I could do was nod and agree and say "yes it is".:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭Corvo

I love haggling. It always amazes me when I'm selling something that people pay the asking price no question when I'm fully prepared to come down 20 or 30 percent. More fool them.:pac:

Most of the time people just pay the asking price because they probably can't listen to your often repeated haggling bullshyte :)

Advertisement