Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smear tests

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

That's great, well done!

I'm glad I didn't read this thread before having my first smear because I think I would have chickened out! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I'm thinking of going for one soon and tbh this thread has me freaked out. I know not everyone hasa nnegative experience but I've never heard of scraping and bleeding etc until now :eek:

I'm only 23 but I reckon considering I've been sexually active a few years I should go before 25.

Anyone any experience with the Well Woman Clinic?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Anyone any experience with the Well Woman Clinic?

Yes, absolutely lovely and friendly and professional

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Which Well Woman clinic? I had a bad experience in the one on Liffey St.

I've never heard of scraping and bleeding etc until now :eek:
    I wouldn't cal it scraping, personally- it's done with a little brush kind of like this
    cameco_cervical_smear_brushes.jpg
    so there's no actual 'scraping!' I found it ticklish more than anything! :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

kylith wrote: »
    Which Well Woman clinic? I had a bad experience in the one on Liffey St.
    That very one, sorry to hear that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

bluewolf wrote: »
    That very one, sorry to hear that!

She might just have been having a bad day, but it's put me off going back there.

It hasn't put me off getting smears though, especially since I had to be referred for a colposcopy a few years back. All it means is that I'll be taking a day off work and going to my GP instead of going to the Well Woman on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

How long has it taken for any of ur results to come back

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

I have to have a smear test every 6 month for the past 3 years due to some changes in the cells of the Cervix, I have never missed an appointment as I feel once I get over the embaressment part I will be okay.

3 weeks ago I had my smear test done by the nurse (No results yet but she did say between 6 to 8 weks) the problem now is that I seem to be bleeding since..Was wondering if this is normal for this length of time or should I go back to my GP..or will I wait for my results..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    I have to have a smear test every 6 month for the past 3 years due to some changes in the cells of the Cervix, I have never missed an appointment as I feel once I get over the embaressment part I will be okay.

3 weeks ago I had my smear test done by the nurse (No results yet but she did say between 6 to 8 weks) the problem now is that I seem to be bleeding since..Was wondering if this is normal for this length of time or should I go back to my GP..or will I wait for my results..
    Ah I was 4 weeks ago, I don't think you should still be bleeding is it spotting? Have you ever had that after ur others

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

It is bleeding , This has never happenned before to me so I was just wondering does it happen to others..would feel like a fool if I go to my GP and she says that is okay..I do have a coil fitted..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Due my 3rd smear but am going away and due my period next week so it will have to wait until I'm back in a month. The first one I had was just over a year ago and came back with some abnormal cells so I had a 2nd one 3 months later. THat was fine but they said I would need another one in 6 months (Which is the one I'm due now). Found the 2 others painless and not really uncomfortable.

I've had two smear tests and while I wasn't anxious about either, both were totally, completely fine. Not every woman has a bad experience. I experienced a slight pain when the speculum is opened but nothing unbearable, had much more painful sex! It takes about 30 seconds, and it's done. It is kinda hard to undress etc etc but the nurses and doctors do this every single day. The nurse actually complimented me on how easy it was to do my test! I was able to chat with her the whole time too. Slight discomfort but nothing to write home about, and out the door again in five minutes.

I know this isn't everyone's experience, but since some ladies reading here have been frightened by other's experiences, I wanted to share mine to say that it's not so bad for everyone. I was a bit nervous first time, in fact my legs were shaking, and I wanted it over and done with, and it was, quickly. Second one I can say it was about as dramatic as an eyetest but not as annoying.

Please don't be too afraid that you put it off; not everyone has a terrible experience. People are just more likely to write about a bad experience than a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Budgese made me think with her comment about writing about bad ones and not good ones.

Had one in the Coombe a while back -under the cervical check program as I'd already had a colposcopy and they were doing a follow up.

Nurwe was great, gave me anaesthetic gel to make it less uncomfortable and it was over in a jot.

I've low level pre-cancerous cells so they are keeping a close eye On me. Great service altogether.

My colposcopy there was just as good an experience last year.

And I'd to get a biopsy and I still thought it was grand.

Bit sore after, like a period pain, but all v doable.

I've had very unpleasant experiences with smears and not dismissing bad experiences, it's just that it can be comforting to hear good stories :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭purplecow1977

Just as a tip for 'undressing' - I wear leggings and a dress so that I can just pull them down and keep some sort of modesty - at least until I open my legs :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just as a tip for 'undressing' - I wear leggings and a dress so that I can just pull them down and keep some sort of modesty - at least until I open my legs :P

Or skip the leggings. :)

My GP gives me a towel, or blanket to use, and I take the clothes off behind a curtain and then get onto the bed with the towel over me. Same as getting a leg wax done, or going for a massage.

Breast-checks now are another thing. My mother has me freaked out about those when I start needing them in another few decades. She said they are desperate sore with the squishing plates.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭larrymickdick

We were only talking about this at lunchtime!

I have never had a problem with smears. I have had one that was uncomfortable but never painful. I would be a regular waxer also so it doesn't bother me. Off come jeans - jump up on the table - go for it. I am more worried about results than actually getting it done. I always go to the well woman on Liffey Street and since 2 smears ago came back as abnormal I have been getting them done every 6 months (last 2 have been normal thankfully). I have found them really nice and they normally have a chat with you beforehand so that relaxes me too.

I would never be embarrassed/nervous getting one done. In my mind all I can think of is Jade Goody - 2 kids left behind, total tragedy. My health is more important than anything else. I had testing for hiv, aids, std's etc. I rather know if I had anything wrong with me than not doing it.

Now in saying that one of my friends who has 2 kids went in for her first one and she was so nervous she found it quite painful. She actually fainted. When she came out she realised that she had worked herself up about it so much that's why it hurt. The next one when she relaxed into and it was fine. Everyone is different.

It's just so important to look after your health - I hope that this thread encourages more women to get it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

All very do-able and fine if youre used to having a penis up there on the regular :P

My results came back normal today so no more for 3 years. THANK GOD.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

All very do-able and fine if youre used to having a penis up there on the regular :P

My results came back normal today so no more for 3 years. THANK GOD.

Why 3 years? Thought they were meant to be annual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

When you check the register, it tells you your next date...

https://apps.cervicalcheck.ie/check_register/check_eligibility.459.selfregister.html

Mine was last year, next one due 2015. So looks like 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

Sure that would cost money :P

It's every three years from age 25-45 and then every five years from 45-60. I don't know if you still have to go after that.

You can go annually if you like, but it's at your own expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

Hi All

I had one today in the well woman. I was encouraged to go because of this thread. I found the Well Woman great, they explained everything, were really gentle and it was over no bother and no pain or feeling uncomfortable.

Big difference from my first one where it was a male doctor and there was no offer of a female one :-(

So anyone dithering , go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

snowey07 wrote: »
    Hi All

I had one today in the well woman. I was encouraged to go because of this thread. I found the Well Woman great, they explained everything, were really gentle and it was over no bother and no pain or feeling uncomfortable.

Big difference from my first one where it was a male doctor and there was no offer of a female one :-(

So anyone dithering , go for it

Its well worth it. The trick is to relax. You feel better for having done it and everything ok.

It really only does take 30 seconds or so. It's not fun but it's a lot easier than a blood test! Or the dentist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

There is another reason I believe we have heard posts on this thread about negative experiences with smear tests.
    Yes it is sometimes a case that people on the internet tend to post bad experiences and can neglect to post about the good things that happen.

On the other side there is a tendency when it comes to women's health to generalize the positive and to minimize or silence bad experiences.

So women are used to hearing "its over in a few seconds" "the secret is to relax and then it doesn't hurt at all" "if you are having regular sexual intercourse it wont hurt a bit" "its easy if you relax" etc etc. On the subject of smear tests the tendency is to talk about the positive.
    Do people even hear the generalizations in these statements?

The medical profession can also tend to put forward this positive generalization, it is understandable but they also tend to dismiss women who say they are experiencing pain. "the vagina is elastic" "you are tensing up too much" "now that wasn't so bad was it!" "no you cant choose a different speculum"
    Not hearing negative feedback, or dismissing women when they say they had a negative experience prevents the medical profession from doing anything about it and changing their practices.
    Not hearing about bad experiences here on the internet can make the women who do experience pain feel more isolated and can prevent them from hearing suggestions about things they did to make it easier from others who also experienced pain.

When people have been silenced or dismissed on a subject like this and then someone gives them the chance to tell their stories, then yes you will hear loads of stories held in for some time. We have experienced this on other threads here in The Ladies Lounge that went on for some time.
    I think this is why we are hearing about negative experiences of smear tests here in this thread because permission and space has been given to it and this doesn't often happen.

I think the good thing about this thread is hearing honest accounts of how posters have found their smear tests, no matter what the experience was.
    I don't think anyone here on thread is being patronising or dismissive of people's bad experiences but those who have had a bad experience can't dismiss girls who find it quick and painless.

It was helpful to read about asking to put in your own speculum and some doctor's unfortunate attitudes though. And I personally never realised that women with children can have a difficult time with a smear or that gay women need one. :o

I think everyone is very conscious that reading a bad experience could potentially put somebody off getting tested and most folks saying that it only takes a minute/relax etc are just trying to be reassuring for those still 'looking forward' to their first smear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

Posy said
    I don't think anyone here on thread is being patronising or dismissive of people's bad experiences but those who have had a bad experience can't dismiss girls who find it quick and painless.

Generalizations are dismissive of the experiences of those for whom the generalization does not fit.
    I read some posts saying smear tests don't hurt at all. ( a general statement)
    I didnt read any posts saying smear test hurt in general.

I didnt read anywhere a poster contradicting someone who said the smear didn't hurt them. In fact what I can see from reading a few posts up is loads of appreciation and thumbs up for a post saying a smear didnt hurt and some of those thumbs up came from women who have said smears have hurt them personally.

Did any poster who said it was quick and painless -for them- have someone come on and tell them they were wrong and it actually hurt because smear tests hurt all the time?

But I agree with you Posy in that we all want the same thing, regular, effective and painless cervical screening for all women.
    I think the idea is to tell women that a smear test often doesnt hurt at all, but if it does and it can sometimes, here are a few ideas on what to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Mine was very sore and I bled too, I have a very sensitive cervix. My doctor said it happens some women. But sure it's over fairly fast, better a few minutes of discomfort and have a clear bill of health then.

So I had one this morning, my first in Ireland. It was so much better this time! I went to the Well woman clinic on Liffey St. I was prepared to tell her about how uncomfortable my last one was, but she did a short examination herself first and told me she would use the smaller speculum anyway. Which was much better, not nice but just a very mild discomfort!

This one lasted about 30 seconds too, I was just having a better day down there :p

Nervous about nothing this time!

Advertisement