Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smear tests

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I've never looked forward to getting it done, but have never had dread like I have for my next one. The nurse in the clinic I went to last time essentially gored me with the stick; there was blood dripping off her hands and I had to wear a pad, which was never really necessary before. I won't be going back there, and I'm dreading my next one because even though I know intellectually that it'll be grand my vagina doesn't believe me and clamps up when I even think about it. I didn't think anything would ever be worse than the one I had in college with the disposable speculum *shudder*

Yes, I should have said something at the time, but I was too busy trying to convince her that I didn't need her to swab me again for a chlamidya test so that I could put my knickers on and get as far away from her as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Any key? wrote: »
    Me too due to go in next week. Dreading it, haven't had one in years and always find it quite painful. I have actually put it off ages :(

Talk to the health professional doing yours before hand, it could be the wrong sized speculum is being used, ask can you put one in yourself.

sorry to hear you had such a bad experience kylith, did you report her to the practice manager?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I didn't, but I should have. I just wanted to get out of there, put it behind me, and never think of it again, and by the time I'd unclenched enough (metaphorically speaking) to think about making a complaint six months had passed and I figured I'd left it too long.

I hope I haven't put anyone off getting one with my tale of woe! I've had smears at regular intervals for the last 14 years, including a colposcopy, and that's the first negative experience I've had. It is too important to health to be put off. I will be going to my lovely GP rather than to the other clinic from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 KimmyKims

God what an awful experience for you. I was with my oncologist on Monday and had another pelvic. Im used to them now ( i dont get normal smears as ive no cervix so i get special vault smears).... the colposcopy chair is like an old friend now! I have a urodynamics test next Friday due to damage to my bladder in surgery ( i had a radical hysterectomy 8 months ago because of the cancer ) i am not looking forward to that at all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

My first smear three years ago was quite a negative experience. I was in college and quite nervous about it so I went to talk to the nurse beforehand (it was free!) and had the whole process explained to me. All seemed grand. When I went for the actual smear, the nurse used the wrong sized speculum and really hurt me. She ended up having to get the doctor to come in, who immediately changed for a smaller speculum and got the job done. When the nurse asked me after about my sexual history I told her I was a sexually active lesbian who'd never had sex with a man she pretty much told me I should never have come for a smear, that I didn't need one and so it was my fault it hurt so much! As ambersky mentioned, it's a myth that lesbians don't need smears and I was pretty shocked that a medical professional would perpetuate that.

I went for my second one last week and it could not have been a more different experience. I went to the nurse at my new gp and explained my previous experience to her and she was really good at taking the time to show me all the different sizes of speculums (specula? speculae?) and taking through the whole process and making me as relaxed as she could. I used a tip I read elsewhere (think about something that makes you feel relaxed and happy - so I thought about my pets!) and it was over before I knew it. The feeling of taking the sample is sort of nauseating (to me, anyway), but I wasn't sore at all after and there wasn't a speck of blood, unlike the last time.

So I would definitely be an advocate of talking about it with the nurse to make sure they're on your wavelength and take ownership of it as much as you can. No one likes getting it done, but last week showed me that it doesn't have to be awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

Vojera wrote: »
    My first smear three years ago was quite a negative experience. I was in college and quite nervous about it so I went to talk to the nurse beforehand (it was free!) and had the whole process explained to me. All seemed grand. When I went for the actual smear, the nurse used the wrong sized speculum and really hurt me. She ended up having to get the doctor to come in, who immediately changed for a smaller speculum and got the job done. When the nurse asked me after about my sexual history I told her I was a sexually active lesbian who'd never had sex with a man she pretty much told me I should never have come for a smear, that I didn't need one and so it was my fault it hurt so much! As ambersky mentioned, it's a myth that lesbians don't need smears and I was pretty shocked that a medical professional would perpetuate that.

I went for my second one last week and it could not have been a more different experience. I went to the nurse at my new gp and explained my previous experience to her and she was really good at taking the time to show me all the different sizes of speculums (specula? speculae?) and taking through the whole process and making me as relaxed as she could. I used a tip I read elsewhere (think about something that makes you feel relaxed and happy - so I thought about my pets!) and it was over before I knew it. The feeling of taking the sample is sort of nauseating (to me, anyway), but I wasn't sore at all after and there wasn't a speck of blood, unlike the last time.

So I would definitely be an advocate of talking about it with the nurse to make sure they're on your wavelength and take ownership of it as much as you can. No one likes getting it done, but last week showed me that it doesn't have to be awful.

I bet that is rubbish. You can be sure there have been plenty of nuns etc who had cervical cancer. It's best to have a smear just in case.

My first smear was totally fine and I barely felt a thing, certainly no pain. The next one was a bit sore but only for a couple of seconds. It's not the most pleasant thing in the world but it's over in a flash and is so important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

mood wrote: »
    I bet that is rubbish. You can be sure there have been plenty of nuns etc who had cervical cancer. It's best to have a smear just in case.

Oh for sure. The risk is reduced for gay women, but not eliminated, and if 30 seconds of discomfort every three years can help save your life, it would be foolish not to go.

I know a woman in her thirties who has never been for a smear and who is convinced she doesn't need to because she's a lesbian. It's bizarre, because she has previously been quite active in advocating safe sex information for lesbians, etc., but this one thing is something she just won't do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Vojera wrote: »
    Oh for sure. The risk is reduced for gay women, but not eliminated, and if 30 seconds of discomfort every three years can help save your life, it would be foolish not to go.

I know a woman in her thirties who has never been for a smear and who is convinced she doesn't need to because she's a lesbian. It's bizarre, because she has previously been quite active in advocating safe sex information for lesbians, etc., but this one thing is something she just won't do.

My mother is 45 and has never been for a smear, just won't go. Tried everything. :(

January wrote: »
    My mother is 45 and has never been for a smear, just won't go. Tried everything. :(

Thats odd. I'm sure it must be less uncomfortable embarrassing for a woman who has had children. Pregnancy and child birth would involve more invasive exams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

January wrote: »

My mom is quite a bit older and she only had her first one a few weeks ago, January! It wasn't even a case of putting it off, her GP never really raised the issue of having one. I encouraged her! I mean she's done breast-check and stuff, so she is aware of health risks. I wonder is it just something that is aimed primarily at longer women, or did she just slip through the holes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Feck, can't believe there are such horrible nurses out there. Sorry to hear about your bad experiences.
    Mine was fine, she was nice, and professional. I have to go back next month I think, 6months after my first, cause I had a CIN1 result.

I feel a bit weird about this,but did anyone else not feel the swabbing part? Can't be just me right..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

Gongoozler wrote: »
    Feck, can't believe there are such horrible nurses out there. Sorry to hear about your bad experiences.
    Mine was fine, she was nice, and professional. I have to go back next month I think, 6months after my first, cause I had a CIN1 result.

I feel a bit weird about this,but did anyone else not feel the swabbing part? Can't be just me right..?
    I didn't feel the swabbing part at all!

As for my experience... It was grand! I was really nervous, had read horror stories online but the nurse was really nice. She went through the whole thing with me, I stripped (for me this, and putting my clothes back on! were the worst parts), legs bent and spread and she had a poke around. She put the speculum in and it just felt like (TMI, gross etc) having sex dry, but only for a second. Apparently I've a long vagina so she had to change to a longer speculum but that was grand. Then she did the brush and I was free to go, well once I put my clothes back on. We just chatted about work and stuff, it helped that her daughter was studying what I studied in college so she was asking me questions about it!

I've a friend who is a GP and encourages us all to go regularly. As a doctor she doesn't do them as often as the nurse but she likes to do them every so often. She had a woman in there a few weeks ago and she did the smear and knew by looking that something was wrong. Results came back as cancerous but it was contained so she got lucky. A few more months and maybe not so lucky.

So go get the smear done, it's quick, painless and could save your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Malari wrote: »
    My mom is quite a bit older and she only had her first one a few weeks ago, January! It wasn't even a case of putting it off, her GP never really raised the issue of having one. I encouraged her! I mean she's done breast-check and stuff, so she is aware of health risks. I wonder is it just something that is aimed primarily at longer women, or did she just slip through the holes...

We've been trying to get her to go for years, and to be fair, I only had my first one back in March at the age of 25 with 3 kids. I mostly did it so she could see it wasn't a big deal. I wouldn't mind but she knows first hand what cancer can do to people, my dad had it twice!

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭tinyk68

I used never mind getting a smear test done. Had them done by my G.P. and obstetrician over the years and it was absolutely fine. No discomfort and over in a few seconds. However the last one I had was done under the screening programme and so a practice nurse did it. It didn't hurt at all but she couldn't find my cervix. She had to call in another nurse to help her and I had two of them looking up between my legs trying to find the missing cervix! In fairness to the second nurse she found it no bother but I was mortified. I am now overdue a test but I keep putting it off because of the last experience. It is really important that the person doing the test is competent.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hedgehog21

Im due my first one ever and I really don't want to :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Ambersky

hedgehog21 Its probably going to go fine. The majority of smear tests are over in a few seconds and are taken with no difficulty.
    Just remember a few strategies you might want to help you to relax. Read over the thread for suggestions other posters have of ways that help them feel more relaxed or in control.
    Its a very important way of taking care of yourself and I hope it goes well. Let us know.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

hedgehog21 wrote: »
    I was like this- I put it off for over 3 years after first getting a letter- dreaded it.
    When I finally got the courage to have one, it was grand!
    I think I had built it up to be so terrible that it couldn't possibly have been as bad as I thought it'd be. The doctor used the smallest (plastic) speculum and it was over and done with in super quick time- even the 'smearing' bit just felt a bit tickly! I ended up just feeling like a dope for not doing it sooner. :o

Book it, have your smear test and then buy yourself something nice as a reward for being brave and getting it over with. Then come back here all proud and tell us how it wasn't anywhere as bad as you thought it would be. It's a procedure that takes about a minute and could save your life. xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Yeah just worked out it's the start of June I'm meant to go back, so I'll make an appointment this week... and report back.

You'll be fine, the thought of it is far worse than the actual test itself. It only takes a few seconds and you'll be glad you did it.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know which GP practice or clinic have the smaller speculum? Please PM me if you do. My smear is now over due so I really need to book it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

Suffolk st surgery does.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭HungryFish

I had my first smear when I was 17 which was really young. It's not as bad as you think. Talk to the nurse and tell her if you're uncomfortable. They do smears all the time and will understand if your nervous. The best advice I could give you is try to relax (so much easier said than done). The more nervous you are, the tighter you hold your muscles and that makes it uncomfortable. Try taking big deep breaths and counting slowly to 10. Then it'll be over. Best of luck. Hope you get on ok 😀ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Duvetdays

I think for anybody who is nervous you should explain to nurse/doc and 99% of them will put you at ease.

The first smear I had was horrific. My doctor at time was older lady and a bit no
    nonsense. I was as nervous as hell but didn't tell her I was and it didnt help the fact that she was quite rough and all I can remember was the scraping sensation it's actually making me nauseous thinking about it. Needless to say the sample she took was no good due to blood in it so I had to go back and get it redone.

I have had 4 now I'm 29 is that a normal amount? But on the last one I explained to doc how scared I am we had a chat she really put me at ease and used a smaller test thingy and other then the weird cold feeling and the slight scraping sensation it was actually fine and she has really helped me not be scared the next time I get it done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Anyone know what the current waiting period is for results? Nurse told me 3 weeks but had mine on May 1st and still waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭HungryFish

athtrasna wrote: »
    Anyone know what the current waiting period is for results? Nurse told me 3 weeks but had mine on May 1st and still waiting.

It depends on the lab and how busy they are. You could wait up to 8 weeks. Would be worth ringing your doctors surgery because some of them can be funny and not inform you when results are in.

Cervical Check will send you a letter when you're due, as long as your details are up to date, yeah? I'm due mine around now, have updated my address on the website.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

athtrasna wrote: »
    I had a smear test in March and the results letter came to my house exactly 5 weeks to the day of my test.

I was told it's normally 4-6 weeks for the results, but obviously it will always vary. Hopefully you should be due your letter in the next week or so. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

I had a smear test last year, when I was 21. Went to the doctor in Germany for a repeat pill script, and since that only took a few minutes he offered to do a "check-up" while I was there (he was a gynaecologist, you can just make appointments with them like a normal GP here). I didn't know what was happening until I was in the chair and he produced the speculum :D but it was really fine, just a short uncomfortable feeling and it was over, barely felt it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭hedgehog21

Ambersky wrote: »
    hedgehog21 Its probably going to go fine. The majority of smear tests are over in a few seconds and are taken with no difficulty.
    Just remember a few strategies you might want to help you to relax. Read over the thread for suggestions other posters have of ways that help them feel more relaxed or in control.
    Its a very important way of taking care of yourself and I hope it goes well. Let us know.
    Thanks I just have it built up in my head, and the thoughts of getting my clothes off :/
    Posy wrote: »
    I was like this- I put it off for over 3 years after first getting a letter- dreaded it.
    When I finally got the courage to have one, it was grand!
    I think I had built it up to be so terrible that it couldn't possibly have been as bad as I thought it'd be. The doctor used the smallest (plastic) speculum and it was over and done with in super quick time- even the 'smearing' bit just felt a bit tickly! I ended up just feeling like a dope for not doing it sooner. :o

Book it, have your smear test and then buy yourself something nice as a reward for being brave and getting it over with. Then come back here all proud and tell us how it wasn't anywhere as bad as you thought it would be. It's a procedure that takes about a minute and could save your life. xx
    That may just do the trick :) will ring them on tuesday, I just hope its the nice nurse not the crankypants :mad:
    HungryFish wrote: »
    I had my first smear when I was 17 which was really young. It's not as bad as you think. Talk to the nurse and tell her if you're uncomfortable. They do smears all the time and will understand if your nervous. The best advice I could give you is try to relax (so much easier said than done). The more nervous you are, the tighter you hold your muscles and that makes it uncomfortable. Try taking big deep breaths and counting slowly to 10. Then it'll be over. Best of luck. Hope you get on ok 😀ðŸ‘
    If I stop overthinking it I should be fine, but then I over think EVERYTHING :rolleyes:

Advertisement