Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying mispronunciation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

mansize wrote: »
    BBC newsreader prononciation is best
    The BBC doesn't impose pronunciations of English words on its staff. Any pronounciation that's recorded in the OED is acceptable on the BBC.

(There is a BBC unit that advises on the pronunciation of non-English words, though.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The BBC doesn't impose pronunciations of English words on its staff. Any pronounciation that's recorded in the OED is acceptable on the BBC.

(There is a BBC unit that advises on the pronunciation of non-English words, though.)

Like Shiite :P

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Dese tings...

Two, tree, four...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

kwiva-g wrote: »
    I realise this is not technically a mispronounciation, but it annoys the hell outa me:

Sickth... As in November Sickth, Henry the Sickth etc

Really, what is so difficult about saying sixth with a proper "x" and "th" sound?

As far as I'm aware, journalists are taught to use the first to avoid any trouble, but it sounds so wrong to my ears!

THANK you!

Column. People who say Colyoom, when its clearly pronounced collum need a swift slap to the head.

It's pronounced colyoom!

Isn't it?

• Advertisement

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Fancy a coffee?
    I'll have an expresso please...

I've heard so many people say that this annoys them, and yet I've never once heard someone say expresso.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

DareGod wrote: »
    It's pronounced colyoom!

Isn't it?
    Nope, generally not. The col- bit is pronounced, well, like "coll", and the -umn bit is practically swallowed; "coll'm".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Bog dweller pronunciation of millionaire.

As in, Paddy down the road is a fecking millunaire and not a bother on him going to mass with a belt made of bailing twine, and a shirt you wouldn't soak up an oil spill with, shameless so he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,599 ✭✭✭ScrubsfanChris

Anything in American English...
    Aluminium

Adding extra syllables to place names -
    I-ere-land
    Tot-ten-ham

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Comhrá

nucular for nuclear.

Febuary for February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Raekwon wrote: »
    Everybody from outside the pale saying "Ye" instead of "You"

It is Hiberno-English, which was established in Elizabethan times.

You are going to have to accept that one I'm afraid. It is perfectly legitimate.

The "yous" used within the pale may be rooted in some lowland Scots or northern English dialect. Burns my ear - but again - perfectly legitimate.

The concept of the Queen's or the King's English is not so legitimate because there have been so many kings and queens in England. Which one of them spoke it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Modern seems to be pronounced 'Mod-ran' by so many!

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

say-fe-ty for safety
    grrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 29,075 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Aluminium

I-ere-land
    Tot-ten-ham

As far as I know, aluminum was there first, twas the Europeans (or whoever) added the extra syllable.

What's wrong with Tot-ten-ham? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭optogirl

troath for throat & thongue for tongue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    As far as I know, aluminum was there first, twas the Europeans (or whoever) added the extra syllable.

What's wrong with Tot-ten-ham? :confused:

Probably an Arsenal fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

YOG-hurt when its yo-ghurt.

Ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

CaraMay wrote: »
    Just heard a woman say fabolous aghhhh it's not 'fabolous' it's fabulous!! People who say disSipline instead of discipline are very annoying.

I'm a heterosexual bloke, I avoid that word like death... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

After nearly a decade in Ireland, I still cringe when I hear "Peugeot" pronounced as "Pew-jot"; It's so deeply seated in the public that even the company themselves mispronounce it in their commercials.

Funnily enough, it's pronounced relatively well in the UK, so it's not an "English speakers" thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Nathan or Naa in

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭Glenster

TH does not equal D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭mackerski

A good proportion of the RyanAir safety announcement recording:

https://youtu.be/tiBPKmnwP0A

Bonus negative marks for "...the safety card, which is displayed within the area you are seated".

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I remember years ago being mortified by my parents asking for direction to a shopping mall in New York. They were pronouncing it 'mal' which maybe for all I know is the correct pronunciation in Ireland and the UK but it certainly isn't in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,925 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It's a culchie thing, but it cracks me up when I hear the word committee prounounced as

COMMiTTEEEEEE, not ComMITTee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

optogirl wrote: »
    troath for throat & thongue for tongue

I actually know a person from Roscrea who says Troath :D
    He also says Debinghams instead of Debenhams.

As regards Thongue, I thought that was an urban myth until about six months ago when I heard it in the school yard (from another parent)! goodness knows how the letter h got into tongue?

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    After nearly a decade in Ireland, I still cringe when I hear "Peugeot" pronounced as "Pew-jot"; It's so deeply seated in the public that even the company themselves mispronounce it in their commercials.

Funnily enough, it's pronounced relatively well in the UK, so it's not an "English speakers" thing.
    English people are generally better at pronouncing French words due to French being taught as a foreign language to almost everyone.
    Plus the fact that the majority of four syllable words are French in origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,498 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Aluminium

I-ere-land
    Tot-ten-ham

Aluminium or aluminum (in North American English) is a chemical element in the boron group with symbol Al and atomic number 13. It is a silvery-white, soft, ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

It's a culchie thing, but it cracks me up when I hear the word committee prounounced as

COMMiTTEEEEEE, not ComMITTee.

And there are 'mill-ins' of them who pronounce it like that

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I have a particular beef with the failure to pronounce the ch sound. It's "Loch Ness", not "Lock Ness". The cheese is not "Gouda", it's more like "Chouda, though not that heavy on the ch. Sometimes I feel like the only person outside the Netherlands who tries to pronounce "Van Gogh" correctly, even if I sound like a cat coughing up a hairball in the process. Well, me and these folk:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

I know a few teachers who have 'thought' their pupils for many years. If you can't pronounce your own occupation .......

Advertisement