Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most annoying mispronunciation

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

FunLover18 wrote: »
    There are no th sounds in that tongue twister ...

Correct. Replace Ts with Hs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,618 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Peregrinus wrote: »
    "Welsh" is the standard pronunciation in the South-East (which, as it happens, is where the name most often occurs).

And, arguably, it's more correct than "Walsh", since the name was originally applied to people who came over from Wales with the Norman settlement. It means Welsh.

So it's not that the surname in question is mispronounced as "Welsh"; more that it's misspelled as "Walsh"!

Well I guess I learn something new everyday don't I? :cool: Still learning

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭invicta

Walsh,Welch and Welsh are three different surnames.! So pronunciation should be as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,331 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

invicta wrote: »
    Walsh,Welch and Welsh are three different surnames.! So pronunciation should be as is.
    English spelling notoriously has only a tenuous connection with pronunciation, and this is especially true when it comes to proper names of both people and places. The "correct" pronunciation of someone's name is the pronunciation used by that person and by their friends and family. I don't see that there can be any other criteria of correctness. Elvis Costello and John A. Costello pronounce their surnames differently. On what authority are you going to say that one pronunciation is "correct" and the other not? And which of them are you going to choose as correct?

Spot on!
    Gillian Welche(singer)
    Tommy Walsh(footballer)
    Trevor Welch(commentator)
    Three completely different names,where as Costello the same name!
    The problem is when Walsh's are pronounced Welsh's and visa-versa
    The original poster (peregrenus) stated that there was no such name as Walsh!!

• Advertisement

invicta wrote: »
    Spot on!
    Gillian Welche(singer)
    Tommy Walsh(footballer)
    Trevor Welch(commentator)
    Three completely different names,where as Costello the same name!
    The problem is when Walsh's are called Welsh's and visa-versa
    The original poster (peregrenus)was stating that there was no such name as Walsh!!
    I was joking. The name "Walsh" certainly exists. The question is, what is the "correct" pronunciation of that name?

My suggestion is that the "correct" pronunciation of anybody's name is the pronunciation that he uses, and that his family and friends use with reference to him. In the South-East of Ireland (where this surname originates, and is still most common) "Walsh" is routinely pronounced with a "well-" sound, not with a "wall-" sound. Elsewhere, the "wall-" pronunciation predominates.

I think the analogy with "Costello" is exact; the same name, with the same spelling, is pronounced different with respect to different people. Neither pronunciation is, in the abstract, more "correct" than the other, though we could say that COSTello is wrong with respect to Elvis, and "CoSTELLo" is wrong with respect to John A.

This is getting confusing,
    but I believe we are both singing from the same hymn sheet!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

I pacifically axed you and your cousint not to be throwing sangwiches from that colyoom, I'm trying to enjoy my expresso, if you keep it up I'll leave both of you in the hostipal!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

My old teacher used to say mohor vehecle (motor vehicle) was the most annoying phrase ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,876 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

It has come to a pretty pass when some people tell other people that they cannot pronounce their own name properly.

If Gary Cahill wants to call himself Kay Hill why should anyone tell him he must call himself Ka Hill? Or Jamie Carragher or Liam Gallagher, or Elvis Costello or Ronnie Moran.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 GoodDryingDay

Lots in my house that are annoying for others
    Chimley instead of chimney
    Dunkey instead of donkey
    Pacific instead of specific
    Chinee instead of Chinese (takeaway)
    I say cement but some pronounce Siment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

It has come to a pretty pass when some people tell other people that they cannot pronounce their own name properly.

If Gary Cahill wants to call himself Kay Hill why should anyone tell him he must call himself Ka Hill? Or Jamie Carragher or Liam Gallagher, or Elvis Costello or Ronnie Moran.
    That never stopped English commentators constantly calling Kevin Moran 'Kevin MorAN' or Ken Doherty 'Ken Docherty'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

Haych or Aych

Cahill being called Kay-hill

Payet or Pie-et

Depay or Dee-pie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Millon and Billon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭mattser

loose instead of lose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,499 ✭✭✭✭Caoimhgh1n

KC161 wrote: »
    Haych or Aych

What do you say? Ash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Most people pronounce 'issue' as ish-u - but the correct pronunciation is 'iss-sue'. But I think it just sounds daft and refuse to say it that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭reason vs religion

Most people pronounce 'issue' as ish-u - but the correct pronunciation is 'iss-sue'. But I think it just sounds daft and refuse to say it that way.

I don't think it is the case that one is more correct than the other, certainly not outside of England. Plus pronouncing it "iss-ue" locks you into pronouncing tissue as "tiss-ue". No thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Thailand with an audible H.
    Thai with an audible H.
    Thomas with an audible H.
    Both mispronounced as boat.
    Kilmacanogue turned into kilmechanic ...

Westminster quite often ends up as West Minister :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

Italian as eyetalian

Drives me bonkers when my mum says it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,951 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Pacific instead of specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭cbreeze

heard two rte newsreaders pronouncing 'armistice' with the emphasis on the middle syllable so it came out as 'arMIStice' and one recently saying dilLIGently instead of DILigently - dunno, might be in the RTE pronunciation book

• Registered Users Posts: 20,158 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

cbreeze wrote:
    heard two rte newsreaders pronouncing 'armistice' with the emphasis on the middle syllable so it came out as 'arMIStice' and one recently saying dilLIGently instead of DILigently - dunno, might be in the RTE pronunciation book

You mean 'are-TE'? I take it they have the correct pronunciation of these things. Doesn't mean I'm going to start saying 'sex-you-al' just because it's probably correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

On UK TV "sixth" is often pronounced "sicth" -what's that about??

• Registered Users Posts: 29,066 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

EchoIndia wrote: »
    On UK TV "sixth" is often pronounced "sicth" -what's that about??
    It's so common that I assume it must have some basis in "correct" pronunciation - but it drives me NUTS!

The Oxford English Dictionary records three pronunciations; "ish-oo", "ish-yew" and "iss-yew". I don't think you can say any of these is more correct than others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

yes mute for moot (writing it is a billion times worse though!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Peregrinus wrote: »
    The Oxford English Dictionary records three pronunciations; "ish-oo", "ish-yew" and "iss-yew". I don't think you can say any of these is more correct than others.

BBC newsreader prononciation is best

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

tenant for tenet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Anything in American English...

Advertisement