Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TVs for gaming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

ScumLord wrote: »
    If 27" would suffice you should consider a PC monitor. You get a much better panel for half the price of a tele and it won't require a TV license.

They are purpose built devices and have pretty quick response times. The average seems to be around 5ms on the monitors I've looked at.

Not for long. There is a push by our "government"(I use the term scathingly and loosely), to rebrand it as an entertainment license and basically charge every person in the country who owns any device capable of displaying media. So your monitor, your phone, your ipod, etc.

It would be scandalous anywhere else. Par for the course here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

With respect Brian, response time, input lag, etc. do not a 'good' tv make for a lot of people. Not everyone is in the enthusiast category where frames count.

Last game I finished was Bioshock Infinite. For me, having a TV with great black levels and contrast range was more important than having one with great response time. By the same token, I played Rocksmith for a bit (must get back to that) and they recommend you use VGA if you don't have HDMI - which my launch 360 certainly doesn't, because the lag is less than it would be through component.

OP, what do you value in your imaging? Do you need minimal latency, etc. because you're playing twitch shooters and fighting games? Or are you more interested in a nice workhorse that will make games look as 'pretty' as possible. They're 2 different things, and almost mutually exclusive.

If possible, one with a great picture and very little lag. I play mostly single player games, Fallout, skyrim, red dead, GTA, Metal Gear. Few racing games like need for speed etc. But again mostly single player games. The budget isn't too small, I would be willing to pay good money for a great TV.

Are there any TV models you would recommend? I know chopper sent me a link but searching for the right tv is painful based on the recommendations, I would love that Asus but in a bigger size, yet I can't find one.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭RaZzZz

Why not check out the Philips TV's? I own a 32" 7000 series LED TV and gaming via PC and PS3 is flawless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I picked up the Sony PS3 3d tv in smyths for 220 (traded in the two games that come with it) and I find it excellent.
    It's only 24 inches but screen is beautiful for gaming. I've my PC , XBOX and ps3 hooked up to it.
    It's only got two HDMI slots but has component too. Comes with two pairs of active glasses too.
    Be warned though it's not a TV so unless you've got a UPC box you can't get tv stations. Alos sound from the speakers is brutal so external speakers will be required.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Kirby wrote: »
    Not for long. There is a push by our "government"(I use the term scathingly and loosely), to rebrand it as an entertainment license and basically charge every person in the country who owns any device capable of displaying media. So your monitor, your phone, your ipod, etc.

It would be scandalous anywhere else. Par for the course here.
    I assume businesses will be exempt? My PC is a work PC, just ignore the steering wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

ScumLord wrote: »
    I assume businesses will be exempt? My PC is a work PC, just ignore the steering wheel.

Just say you are delivery driver and you plan/train your routes every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

I'd be very, very interested in hearing why component is supposed to generate more lag than VGA-seeing as both are analogue signals- bear in mind who you're talking to here :D

I'm not buying the colour thing, btw- a baseline requirement of a game is that it be playable, you can worry about all other things after that. But if you're getting input lag and are not aware of it, you will be finding games tougher than their supposed to be, or in extreme cases will feel like your character is not responding correctly.

My guess is this (because this is how it manifests itself on my TV): Component signal gets to your tv, and unless you go into menus and start disabling certain features, gets some processing added to it. VGA gets to your TV and essentially gets thrown on the panel asap (for me anyway). I think the Rocksmith guys are working on the assumption that their users aren't going to take optimization steps for the most part.

On the colour vs technical performance thing, I can see where you're coming from, but like I said before, frames, input lag etc are not important to (I'd go as far as saying not even perceived by) many gamers. Also, surely you'd need a proper ****box of a TV before lag is so bad that it impacts a regular FPS when played solo, offline? And when I say that, I mean in any meaningful way. And if you're playing online, then network lag is far more prominent that input.

Steve O, on the recommendation side of things, first question I'd ask is what size screen you're looking for? Really good (technical) gaming panels are at the lower end of the spectrum.

My guess is this (because this is how it manifests itself on my TV): Component signal gets to your tv, and unless you go into menus and start disabling certain features, gets some processing added to it. VGA gets to your TV and essentially gets thrown on the panel asap (for me anyway). I think the Rocksmith guys are working on the assumption that their users aren't going to take optimization steps for the most part.

On the colour vs technical performance thing, I can see where you're coming from, but like I said before, frames, input lag etc are not important to (I'd go as far as saying not even perceived by) many gamers. Also, surely you'd need a proper ****box of a TV before lag is so bad that it impacts a regular FPS when played solo, offline? And when I say that, I mean in any meaningful way. And if you're playing online, then network lag is far more prominent that input.

Steve O, on the recommendation side of things, first question I'd ask is what size screen you're looking for? Really good (technical) gaming panels are at the lower end of the spectrum.

32 inch, I'll be playing close enough to the thing and its for my new room.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,983 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

If your paying the electricity bill, LED tv's all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Have a look at this Samsung
    32"
    Full HD - 1080p
    200Hz
    3-D
    Ethernet / Smart TV
    HDMI *3

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/11833420/art/samsung/ue32es6300-3d-led-smart-t.html

If I had somewhere to put it would be tempted myself - Cost = Euro 529
    Little bit pricey, a while back they had deals for a 55" for only a few hundred more but this does seem like a good TV - hopefully you can find it a bit cheaper though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Taltos wrote: »
    32"
    Full HD - 1080p
    200Hz
    3-D
    Ethernet / Smart TV
    HDMI *3

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/11833420/art/samsung/ue32es6300-3d-led-smart-t.html

Little bit pricey, a while back they had deals for a 55" for only a few hundred more but this does seem like a good TV - hopefully you can find it a bit cheaper though.

Have 40" of this, paid more than what its down for on pixmania but would do so again rather than buy from them.

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I wouldn't worry about input lag too much. Like 1 or 2 frames (or 32ms) of input lag are not going be noticed by most gamers. Your not going notice it unless your playing some multiplayer games competively.

Taltos wrote: »
    32"
    Full HD - 1080p
    200Hz
    3-D
    Ethernet / Smart TV
    HDMI *3

That looks perfect, thanks mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,519 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Might be not be of interest for anyone but the 2013 samsungs will have the dual play/view to allow split-screen to work full screen with a pair of 3D glasses.

If you like that 32" samsung you may want to wait a bit, even if you still go with it the 2013 will drive the price of 2012 models down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Browning2010

Hi,

Was looking at a new tv today. 99% of the time used for xbox 360 soon to be 'xbox one'.

It's a 42" lg tv.

Would that suit for gaming or is it to big, would I be better of with a smaller tv?

It was 400euro for the tv.

Any thoughts?

Picture attached of label.

Hi,

Was looking at a new tv today. 99% of the time used for xbox 360 soon to be 'xbox one'.

It's a 42" lg tv.

Would that suit for gaming or is it to big, would I be better of with a smaller tv?

It was 400euro for the tv.

Any thoughts?

Picture attached of label.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I'll throw another +1 to Plasma. Switched to LCD to Plasma last year and the colour vibrancy on the plasma just completely owns the LCD. I love it to bits. Because of the way plasmas are built sound will always be less 'tinny' too. Samsung's entry plasma's are great value for money.

I have an LED for my PC gaming and does a great job too, but I'd probably go for plasma if you're content with the slightly higher leccy bill it'll throw at you.

I'll throw another +1 to Plasma. Switched to LCD to Plasma last year and the colour vibrancy on the plasma just completely owns the LCD. I love it to bits. Because of the way plasmas are built sound will always be less 'tinny' too. Samsung's entry plasma's are great value for money.

I have an LED for my PC gaming and does a great job too, but I'd probably go for plasma if you're content with the slightly higher leccy bill it'll throw at you.

I picked up this myself few weeks ago.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-UE42F5000AKXXU-42-inch-Widescreen-1080p/dp/B00BTG8AR4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1370111102&sr=8-2&keywords=samsung+tv

LED makes a huge difference compared to my LCD in bedroom. I still not a fan of Plasmas. I PC world and other local places flogging Plasmas very cheaply now, So if anyone looking for one should go there asap. I guess Plasma is getting discontinued?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

It's been so-called 'dying' for about 10 years now, it's really not. Because of the bad image Plasma had about 5 years ago sales have been poor but they have been consistently poor, meaning it's more of a niche market. Because burn-in is no longer a problem, the fact that plasma's entry level TV's are 43" due to the nature of the technology, combined with consumer's desires to get bigger and bigger televisions, I'd expect plasma to grow over the next few years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

If you want the absolute best, get a panasonic plasma tv, I couldn't recommenced the vierras enough.

Deeper blacks, better contrast, better response time, better viewing angles, better more natural colours, better value for money the larger you go. Screen burn in & lifetime of plasmas simply aren't issues any more as they match lcd now.

The only reason you'd want an lcd is the value for money you can get if you go 40" or below, you need to wall mount the tv (lcds typically have plastic screens instead of the glass found in plasmas), or you're going to have the screen in a very bright room (lots of direct sunlight).

Saying all that I use a 42" Bravia as my gaming/pc monitor and I'm extremely happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Giving a more serious response to my last one I would maybe recommend avoiding plasmas as I think that burn in is still a real issue.

I have a Panasonic plasma from their 2012 range. Amazing TV and bought it as a display model for a bargain. Thing I'd I notice done burn in. Now it could be down to the fact that the TV was used excessively in a short period of time buy I would be a little nervous of playing games on it.

I also have a 2012 Panasonic (ST30 I think) and I've never noticed any burn in at all. I do think it's very good for games though. I know a lot of people like to poo-poo 3D but I really think it's at it's best for video games that support it (which will probably be a lot more in the next generation).
    One thing. Would suggest for a gaming TV - don't go mad on a size. It always sounds awesome to have bigger TV, but with bigger TV you get bigger size pixels. So the same 1080p/720p will look a lot better on smaller screen then big feck off bastard.
    I know it won't count for much if you sit at long distance from TV, but I personally like to be close to TV when playing games.

This is definitely true. I know in shops a lot you see something like a 50-inch TV for €700 or whatever and then look at the specs and see it's 720p which is far too low for a screen that size. Even at 32-inch (like OP said), these days I would still say look for 1080p. It shouldn't be hard to find (we recently got a 1080p 32" for the kitchen for under €400 in Harvey Norman) and you'll just be glad in the long run, especially when if you want to watch Blu-ray or when the next gen of consoles come out with 1080p gaming.

I would also recommend popping over to the Home Entertainment board and see if anyone is willing to lend a hand. The guys there will know more about the latest TV models and what's good.

So do you guys reckon something like this would do me for the X box 360/one.

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-32F5000&pages=1&prod=32F5000&brands=SAMSUNG&image=

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-12-32F5000&pages=1&prod=32F5000&brands=SAMSUNG&image=

Or should I go for a bigger screen for that price?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I have the 40'' version of that for over a year now and it's a fantastic display. Use it for 360 and PS3. No lagging, great colours and contrast ratios. It was €799 when I got it and Harvey Norman wanted €870 for the same thing. I'd go 40'' though for 1080p gaming. 32'' is a tad too small imo.

I have the 40'' version of that for over a year now and it's a fantastic display. Use it for 360 and PS3. No lagging, great colours and contrast ratios. It was €799 when I got it and Harvey Norman wanted €870 for the same thing. I'd go 40'' though for 1080p gaming. 32'' is a tad too small imo.

I 'd like a bigger one but I'm seeing a lot people online saying to stay away from 'bigger tvs' for gaming.

Bigger tvs also mean more money.

What do you think of this one tho?

http://www.powercity.ie/?par=10-13-40L1333&pages=1&prod=40L1333&brands=TOSHIBA&image=

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Just looking there and they have changed the Samsung range alright. The 40'' LED I got 18 months was a smart TV with 100hz refresh rate and it has 4 HDMI ports, 2 USB, DVI and VGA. The new ones don't seem too well equipped, I use 3 HDMI ports at all times and seeing as I havemy TV wall mounted 2 HDMIs would be a pain and a no, no from me.

Thing with bigger TVs though is that 1080p does not really show it's self over 720p unless you go over 32'' imo. Bigger screens are generally slower than smaller ones but if you spend more you will get one just as quick. The refresh rate is a big one too, I won't game on a 50hz display anymore. Has to be 100hz and as low ms response time as possible.

Just looking there and they have changed the Samsung range alright. The 40'' LED I got 18 months was a smart TV with 100hz refresh rate and it has 4 HDMI ports, 2 USB, DVI and VGA. The new ones don't seem too well equipped, I use 3 HDMI ports at all times and seeing as I havemy TV wall mounted 2 HDMIs would be a pain and a no, no from me.

Thing with bigger TVs though is that 1080p does not really show it's self over 720p unless you go over 32'' imo. Bigger screens are generally slower than smaller ones but if you spend more you will get one just as quick. The refresh rate is a big one too, I won't game on a 50hz display anymore. Has to be 100hz and as low ms response time as possible.

That Toshiba one I've linked above looks to fit the bill tho;

40"
    3 HDMI ports
    100hz

What you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Sorry for reviving an old thread but could really do with some advice :)

Have finally enough saved to splash on a new tv. I really wanted a plasma after seeing older SD stuff (Snes, Wii at 420p etc) and HD compared to LED/LCD and because the higher refresh rates. Problem is I'm in the price range where full HD Plasma aint happening. I'm trying to convince myself that the 720 is fine at 42 inch. I figure I'll be grabbing a 4k set 6 or so years from now and hoping it'll bridge the gap :D I shopped around a bit and the best two I can find are in soundstore:

http://www.soundstore.ie/Product/Panasonic-TXP42X60-42-600Hz-HD-Plasma/4016/2220.0.3

http://www.soundstore.ie/Product/Samsung-PS43F450-43-HD-Plasma/3962/2220.0.4

Anyone have one of these?? Am I mad to be buying a 720 plasma? I pretty much play Fighting Games exclusively with some old systems, sport and series on netflix. So input lag would be a dealbreaker immediately. I can't find the input lag info on either set but could be stupid and searching for the wrong things. Plasma screens will support old Game consoles right? I had a nightmare getting the Wii to play certain stuff on the housemates LED :( Any help or advice would be awesome :D

Any better options at around the €500 range?

If you are getting next gen console then I would only go for 1080p. It would be a waste of a console and benefits of new gen brings.

I know Plasma is being praised ( I guess modern ones, because i still think the old ones 720p are rubbish), but I got myself a lovely 42inch Samsung LED for upcoming ps4 and so far ( playing ps3 on it and PC 1080p ) I am extremely happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

For TV i would go for Samsung or LG....but get the best price/performance ratio you can get. RESEARCH!....loads of forums out there dedicatd to tvs.

http://www.avsforum.com/

There are excellent bargins out there, like lasts year high end tvs drastically reduced. Just take your time and then make the best decision you can

Advertisement