Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TVs for gaming

Options
  • 01-04-2013 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

Hows it.

I am looking for an excellent TV for gaming, I have an xbox 360 and plan on doing a lot more gaming over the coming year. Any suggestions on the specs or specific brand I should look out for?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Panasonic, plasma.

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Samsung LCD

/Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Black Diamond CRT

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

LG LED

/Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Check for a decent response time.

More than 16ms is bad.

5ms or less is good.

Some TV's have a "gaming mode" where the TV passes the signal through with minimal processing so there's no image lag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,006 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

PLasma's would probably be the best for gaming. Lower response times (panny range) and some say better picture

Giving a more serious response to my last one I would maybe recommend avoiding plasmas as I think that burn in is still a real issue.

I have a Panasonic plasma from their 2012 range. Amazing TV and bought it as a display model for a bargain. Thing I'd I notice done burn in. Now it could be down to the fact that the TV was used excessively in a short period of time buy I would be a little nervous of playing games on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Did they sorted the burn in problem with plasma? Last time I was looking in to this they were the worst choice for gaming. Over all as TV too as those are the worst when it comes to picture detail, but they were not so restricted to go in to bigger sizes as Lcds.

One thing. Would suggest for a gaming TV - don't go mad on a size. It always sounds awesome to have bigger TV, but with bigger TV you get bigger size pixels. So the same 1080p/720p will look a lot better on smaller screen then big feck off bastard.
    I know it won't count for much if you sit at long distance from TV, but I personally like to be close to TV when playing games.

My TV was tuned into RTE2 most of the time before I bought it. I used a scrolling bar anti retention option on the TV and I think that improved it. In fairness it's not very noticeable at all and it was probably tuned to the same station for 9 hours a days for a few months.

The Xbox upstairs is plugged into a 32 inch Samsung LCD TV from 2006,.no problems with it at all although it's only 720p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Did they sorted the burn in problem with plasma? Last time I was looking in to this play were the worst choice for gaming. Over all too as their the worst when it comes to picture detail, but they were not so restricted to go in to bigger sizes as Lcds.

One thing. Would suggest for a gaming TV - don't go mad on a size. It always sounds awesome to have bigger TV, but with bigger TV you get bigger size pixels. So the same 1080p/720p will look a lot better on smaller screen then big feck off bastard.
    I know it won't count for much if you sit at long distance from TV, but I personally like to be close to TV when playing games.

Me too actually. I'm looking at 32 inches as its for my bedroom, gonna invest in a gaming chair too. I always try to sit at a distance but I find when I'm immersed in a game I'm nearly hugging the TV :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Giving a more serious response to my last one I would maybe recommend avoiding plasmas as I think that burn in is still a real issue.

I have a Panasonic plasma from their 2012 range. Amazing TV and bought it as a display model for a bargain. Thing I'd I notice done burn in. Now it could be down to the fact that the TV was used excessively in a short period of time buy I would be a little nervous of playing games on it.
    +1 to the Plasma pannys.

I have a P46GT30 at home (2011 model, picked up in 2012) and I absolutely love it. I've noticed zero burn in too which, as far as I'm aware, is fairly unsurprising given how the technology has improved over the last number of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

I've had the opportunity to use a lot of different TV's when gaming over the past few years and my own personal preference would be a nice LED over plasma. Most of the issues namely burn issues have been fixed on plasma but I still don't think they look as good as a high refresh rate LED.

1080P is a given but 100Hz refresh rate minimum with a low response time is optimal. Samsung make some fantastic TV's but you can't go wrong with LG either!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Response time / lag is the biggest issue to consider. Best to read as many reviews of the tv as you can before you take the plunge. Expert Reviews or HDTVTest are the two sites I use. Order them by price, or whatever is your baseline criteria.

I got a 40" Samsung LCD that does a great job on SDTV and HD video but its pretty bad for games due to the desperate response time. You can improve it alot by switching on game mode but that makes everything alot less sharp. Without game mode, PS3 games can look almost as sharp as PC games in places but the lag is the killer. When you have game mode on, everything gets fairly muddy, and as another poster said, on a 40" screen that muddyness is very apparent.

I found that it was hard to get a screen (for realistic money) that could do SDTV, Blu Rays and games well. There was always some trade-off. So if this is only going to be a gaming TV, spend as much as you can on getting something that will have no lag problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Another bit to consider when buying flat screen TV. All those TVs are not made to last, so their life spam is quite short. I would recomend getting the longest warranty you can, then just "drop" it when warranty goes off.
    From my own experience: there is nothing worse then get your TV pop, which costed 1700eu, 2 weeks after standart warranty was up. I **** you not!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

There's a 40 inch 1080p 100hz Tobhiba in bargain alerts going for €380, it could be a decent cheap option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭Starscream25

my samsung 40inch LED series 5 does just nicely, cant complain at all with my gaming picture quality, very sharp visuals. when combined with HDMI and full 1080p output 60hz

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Response time does not measure input lag.

Check out this thread: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/55593/the-new-definitive-hdtv-lag-faq#latest

This is the official monitor for Evo (worlds largest fighting game tournament): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236059

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

If you want a proper gaming tv listen to chopper.

Most people don't know what makes a good gaming tv!

Thanks lads, I never knew choosing a TV would be so much work.

Has anyone a link to somewhere that I can find out the response times? Samsung don't have it on their website and Google is useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

The Xbox upstairs is plugged into a 32 inch Samsung LCD TV from 2006,.no problems with it at all although it's only 720p.

Iirc, very few xbox games exceed 720P
    Another bit to consider when buying flat screen TV. All those TVs are not made to last, so their life spam is quite short. I would recomend getting the longest warranty you can, then just "drop" it when warranty goes off.
    From my own experience: there is nothing worse then get your TV pop, which costed 1700eu, 2 weeks after standart warranty was up. I **** you not!

Warranty does not supersede your consumer rights.

OP, it's really not that big of a decision, just keep a budget in mind and have a look around to make the most of it. I'd be happy going 720P for anything up to 32". Just steer clear of any of cheap crap form tesco/argos etc and you'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 10,987 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

theteal wrote: »
    Iirc, very few xbox games exceed 720P

Warranty does not supersede your consumer rights.

OP, it's really not that big of a decision, just keep a budget in mind and have a look around to make the most of it. I'd be happy going 720P for anything up to 32". Just steer clear of any of cheap crap form tesco/argos etc and you'll be fine

Often those cheap crap have so little extra features and processing to the image they're better for gaming than most main brand TVs.

OP, if you just want a sharp image and good sound, then go ahead and get a Samsung or LG in your budget, but if you want a TV/Monitor that is actually really good for gaming, then do a bit of research with the link I provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Did they sorted the burn in problem with plasma? Last time I was looking in to this they were the worst choice for gaming. Over all as TV too as those are the worst when it comes to picture detail, but they were not so restricted to go in to bigger sizes as Lcds.

I've a 42'' Panasonic plasma TV that I have the HTPC hooked up to so it's an all-rounder for gaming, TV / Movies, and general computing usage like web browsing and what-not. It's the main machine I use when I'm at home and the one I'm typing this post on at the moment.

Honestly can't complain about burn-ins though I've seen it happen on older or cheaper plasma models but only if you leave things static for hours and hours on end. Most modern plasmas will have an in-built function to clear away any sort of light burn-in or have a strong resistance to them.

I've played some games for hours on end where the HUD is static, when I exit out of it you can barely see it but it vanishes after a few minutes.

Definitely don't see them as the worst for gaming or picture quality, they're fantastic since they have low response time and you'll get really vivid and the deepest colours with the format. Bioshock Infinite looked stunning in 1080p with the vibrant colours on it.

Like everything, though, there's all sorts of makes and models so some are worse than others for various things and it can go down to personal preference in the end. Spend a little time researching and you'll find what you need. The AVSforum is fairly handy, too.

I personally prefer plasma over LCD / LED for picture quality and I find it perfect for the gaming I do, anyways.

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I've a 42'' Panasonic plasma TV that I have the HTPC hooked up to so it's an all-rounder for gaming, TV / Movies, and general computing usage like web browsing and what-not. It's the main machine I use when I'm at home and the one I'm typing this post on at the moment.

Honestly can't complain about burn-ins though I've seen it happen on older or cheaper plasma models but only if you leave things static for hours and hours on end. Most modern plasmas will have an in-built function to clear away any sort of light burn-in or have a strong resistance to them.

I've played some games for hours on end where the HUD is static, when I exit out of it you can barely see it but it vanishes after a few minutes.

Definitely don't see them as the worst for gaming or picture quality, they're fantastic since they have low response time and you'll get really vivid and the deepest colours with the format. Bioshock Infinite looked stunning in 1080p with the vibrant colours on it.

Like everything, though, there's all sorts of makes and models so some are worse than others for various things and it can go down to personal preference in the end. Spend a little time researching and you'll find what you need. The AVSforum is fairly handy, too.

I personally prefer plasma over LCD / LED for picture quality and I find it perfect for the gaming I do, anyways.

Once again, none of that actually measures whether a tv is good for gaming or not.

You need an input lag test as pointed out by chopper.

If you want a good TV full stop... that's a very different thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭Burning Eclipse

Once again, none of that actually measures whether a tv is good for gaming or not.

With respect Brian, response time, input lag, etc. do not a 'good' tv make for a lot of people. Not everyone is in the enthusiast category where frames count.

Last game I finished was Bioshock Infinite. For me, having a TV with great black levels and contrast range was more important than having one with great response time. By the same token, I played Rocksmith for a bit (must get back to that) and they recommend you use VGA if you don't have HDMI - which my launch 360 certainly doesn't, because the lag is less than it would be through component.

OP, what do you value in your imaging? Do you need minimal latency, etc. because you're playing twitch shooters and fighting games? Or are you more interested in a nice workhorse that will make games look as 'pretty' as possible. They're 2 different things, and almost mutually exclusive.

Projector

/Thread

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

With respect Brian, response time, input lag, etc. do not a 'good' tv make for a lot of people. Not everyone is in the enthusiast category where frames count.

Last game I finished was Bioshock Infinite. For me, having a TV with great black levels and contrast range was more important than having one with great response time. By the same token, I played Rocksmith for a bit (must get back to that) and they recommend you use VGA if you don't have HDMI - which my launch 360 certainly doesn't, because the lag is less than it would be through component.

OP, what do you value in your imaging? Do you need minimal latency, etc. because you're playing twitch shooters and fighting games? Or are you more interested in a nice workhorse that will make games look as 'pretty' as possible. They're 2 different things, and almost mutually exclusive.

Thats why I bought the TV I have despite the lag problems, because I knew I would only be playing single player games on the PS3. My reasoning then was, without the need for the most responsive screen I could just get something with great postprocessing tech and really make the game pretty. The practicality of that was very different though. Playing Red Dead Redemption in the TVs normal mode (i.e. postprocessing on) gives you a very juddery experience where missing frames are a constant problem. Quick 360 camera spins around the character nearly give you motion sickness. When you use game mode though, the problem is much reduced but at the expense of image quality.

So point being, even if you want a great image and are willing to compromise on response times, you still may end up with an unacceptable experience.

I'd be very, very interested in hearing why component is supposed to generate more lag than VGA-seeing as both are analogue signals- bear in mind who you're talking to here :D

I'm not buying the colour thing, btw- a baseline requirement of a game is that it be playable, you can worry about all other things after that. But if you're getting input lag and are not aware of it, you will be finding games tougher than their supposed to be, or in extreme cases will feel like your character is not responding correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,660 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

As far as CRTs go, the Sony Trinitron KV-29X5L 29 is amazing. Monster flat 29 inch 4:3 screen that gives an amazing image. I'd get rid of all of my new TV tech before getting rid of that.

Real cream of the crop with CRTs is the Sony PVM line. They're studio quality CRTs and really made to last. Picture is insanely good.

No lag on any of the above ... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If 27" would suffice you should consider a PC monitor. You get a much better panel for half the price of a tele and it won't require a TV license.

They are purpose built devices and have pretty quick response times. The average seems to be around 5ms on the monitors I've looked at.

Advertisement