Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Coriander taste awful to you?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Larianne wrote: »
    Who puts celery in stews?

finely chopped it can give a nice base flavor to the stu some what peppery taste. Same reason why you use it in risottos!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I love coriander but parsley makes me heave. Because they look so alike it's like paying Russian roulette when trying to pick out out at the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Some weird things are genetic. I know two people who need to sneeze when they look at the sun

3 now

Fresh coriander tastes like soap to me.
    I still like it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I'm interested in how common this is. Does coriander disgust you? Does it taste like soap to you?
    It tastes very metallic to me, chemicals, and sort of like if you somehow manage to get shampoo suds in your gob in the shower. Awful awful taste. If there's any corriander in food I can't eat it. It drowns out every other taste completely so the whole meal tastes disgusting.

bnt wrote: »
    In the USA, Coriander is known as Cilantro, so if you're looking online, try searcing for I Hate Cilantro too. :o
    Haha! They have a haiku section. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Tastes fine to me. Celery is evil though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Yes and lemon grass, rocket lettuce and cinnamon

Coriander Is Muck

You are me just in another body :)

HORRIBLE STUFF!!!!

Lemon Grass - Just Reminds Me Of That ****e You Burn In A Candle

Rocket - YUK!!!! Tastes Like Its Still In The Ground

Cinnamon - The Reason I Cant Eat Anything That Tastes Of Cinnamon Was A Bad Night On This ****

http://www.ceetar.com/optimisticmetsfan/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/aftershock.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    I really really hate coriander. To me, it tastes like soap and if it's in a dish it basically becomes in edible to me. My brother says the same thing, that it tastes like soap.

Today I read that this is a genetic thing so now I feel vindicated after years of people calling me a fussy eater!

Article here:

http://www.nature.com/news/soapy-taste-of-coriander-linked-to-genetic-variants-1.11398

I'm interested in how common this is. Does coriander disgust you? Does it taste like soap to you?

It tastes like fairy liquid

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

No, I actually rather like it.
    It's not my favourite herb, but it's got its place.
    I remember I found it a little odd tasting when I first tried it, but it really grew on me.

There's only one taste/flavour I can think of that I dislike and that no matter how much I try I cannot get myself to like, and that's anisseed. And anything anisseedy, such as celery (celeriac I'm kind of fine with, though), fennel, carraways, licorice, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,880 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I dont think Celery or Celeriac taste of aniseed at all. I used to hate fennel but I really like it now slow roasted because the strong aniseed flavour leaves it.

Also Coriander seeds and Coriander leaf are completely different - Coriander seeds are quite nice and have a lemony tang - I'd use them a lot. Coriander is horrible.

Cucumber and green peppers are absolutely horrible too - vile

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Sala

I can relate, I used to hate coriander, thought it tasted like getting fairy liquid in your mouth but now a few years later I love it! It no longer tastes like soap to me, I must have become accustomed to it over the years and acquired a taste. I remember how awful carrot and coriander soup smelled to me, I can't even believe they are the same herb now. Maybe my genetics have changed :-) I might give celery another go, I recall it being foul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Never tried it s no idea what it tastes like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

should've added a vote, but yeah, I've always thought it tasted like washing up liquid >.>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I like the carrot and corry-and-her soup to be fair. In saying that now, I'd be in it for the carrot, not the coriander

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

So are coriander, celery and cucumber the only ones like this? Not just that people don't like them, but that they actually taste different to people?

I love coriander, cucumber makes me heave though. I can't stand it, even a trace of it, in anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Thai and Mexican are my two favorite kinds of food, so I can't imagine life without coriander! :eek:
    amacca wrote: »
    Fresh Basil smells a bit like cats piss but its great in a lot of things!

and quite nice to eat a leaf or two on its own.

(just sayin :pac:)

Cat piss? :(

There is nothing better in the summer than stacks of fresh tomato and mozzarella with a slice of raw basil on top. I don't even like tomatoes that much, but that combination...plus a nice glass of red wine...NOM NOM NOM.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

amacca wrote: »
    Fresh Basil smells a bit like cats piss but its great in a lot of things!

and quite nice to eat a leaf or two on its own.

(just sayin :pac:)

Wash the basil before using and don't use soapy water :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Wouldn't be a fan of coriander or lemongrass.
    Find even the smell of cucumber horrid. I find it has a really strong smell and taste and the same for celery. Met so many people that think im mad though and the rest of my family like them and keep telling me there isn't a smell or flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Arcsin

Hoegaarden - Belgian wheat beer spiced with coriander and orange peel. Nicest beer you will ever taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Vodka + lemongrass = The Lawnmower. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Carrot and coriander soup is the GOAT soup.

Thats lunch sorted today.

Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

One Xmas, the sister made Coriander soup so we could eat it while we waited for the turkey.

It tasted horrific and everyone looked at each other with disgust. The sister was still out in the kitchen so we had to plan how to get rid of the soup.

So, the father distracted her and brought her to another room while the rest of us went to the kitchen and dumped the lot. She comes back thinking we eat it so fast because we loved it.

Eurgh, I can still taste it. Was like thick Fairy Liquid :(

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭newspower

Duggy747 wrote: »
    One Xmas, the sister made Coriander soup so we could eat it while we waited for the turkey.

I can feel my stomach heaving just thinking of that. What sort of a sister is she?:D I hate Coriander. Cannot eat Thai food that is laced with Coriander or I would be sick within fifteen Minutes. It is the only food I cannot eat. But I can eat Cucumber and Celery

Advertisement