Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Coriander taste awful to you?

Options
  • 31-03-2013 11:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭

I really really hate coriander. To me, it tastes like soap and if it's in a dish it basically becomes in edible to me. My brother says the same thing, that it tastes like soap.

Today I read that this is a genetic thing so now I feel vindicated after years of people calling me a fussy eater!

Article here:

http://www.nature.com/news/soapy-taste-of-coriander-linked-to-genetic-variants-1.11398

I'm interested in how common this is. Does coriander disgust you? Does it taste like soap to you?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Yes and lemon grass, rocket lettuce and cinnamon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

It dont taste like soap but fresh stuff is nice in a curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Tastes yum to me!

Although I've heard the same thing said about cucumber, for most people it's merely crunchy with little to no taste but for others it has a very strong and disgusting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Some weird things are genetic. I know two people who need to sneeze when they look at the sun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I've heard that about cucumber too actually. They just taste if nothing to me!

Have no problems with rocket or lemongrass either, just the oul coriander!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Tae and brown sauce should sort out your taste problem , none of your poncy herby shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭amacca

No coriander tastes great to me (when its fresh) and goes particularly well with ginger, lime and a small amount of honey and a medium chilli in a stir fry with noodles.

I kinda have the same thing about celery tho....particularly in stews...god how I hate it even if it supposedly is a good flavour enhancer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Yes and lemon grass, rocket lettuce and cinnamon
    Yes. I fookin hate lemongrass.

Fresh coriander tastes yucky to me.

I love cucumber and celery though - which apparently has something to do with genetics too.

And I can roll my tongue.

And I lace my fingers so my thumb on my right hand is on the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You must be a super taster OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Some weird things are genetic. I know two people who need to sneeze when they look at the sun

That's not genetic, everyone does it. Don't they?.......

Anyway, I love coriander.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Mexican food is nothing without Coriander (Cilantro)!

I love coriander. Finely chop cucumber, red onion, cherry tomatoes & coriander and eat with poppadoms. Yummy!

amacca wrote: »
    No coriander tastes great to me (when its fresh) and goes particularly well with ginger, lime and a small amount of honey and a medium chilli in a stir fry with noodles.

I kinda have the same thing about celery tho....particularly in stews...god how I hate it even if it supposedly is a good flavour enhancer

Who puts celery in stews?

pragmatic1 wrote: »
    Yes. I fookin hate lemongrass.

Yeah, lemongrass can suck my balls!

Ginger can also fook off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭Fox_In_Socks

Yep, it tastes like washing up liquid to me. And not the good flavoured modern washing up liquid, either.

Yeah, lemongrass can suck my balls!

Ginger can also fook off!

You hate them both yet you want one to suck on your nads and the other to go away

you're a complicated individual no doubt about it.

You hate them both yet you want one to suck on your nads and the other to go away

you're a complicated individual no doubt about it.

I don't mind being in lemongrass's mouth.....it's just not going into mine!:)

Ginger had it's chance...I wasnt impressed.

Larianne wrote: »
    Who puts celery in stews?

I'm not making it up or imagining it

Tis a common ingredient (or at least used to be in irish stews)

it looks disgusting and grey/green in colour after being boiled for so long but still has that corrugated outside, stringy bits and highly objectionable flavour and totally ruins the whole stew experience for me

I never add it and my stews are unquestionably amazing and suffer not one whit as a consequence

it also shows up regularly in the juice when one orders a pot of mussels - but i don't mind it so much there - I still pick it out and wont eat it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

If you eat any herb on it's own it tends not to taste nice.

I hope you've been eating fistfuls of coriander leaves.

Because if you don't like it in other things then you're are a deficient person and need to be fixed.

• Advertisement

Ginger had it's chance...I wasnt impressed.

Orly?
    I'm not making it up or imagining it

Tis a common ingredient (or at least used to be in irish stews)

Talk about ruining a good stew! I don't like celery cooked but love it raw. Nice and crunchy. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭April O Neill

Nope, I love it. LOVE it. :)

Fresh Basil smells a bit like cats piss but its great in a lot of things!

and quite nice to eat a leaf or two on its own.

(just sayin :pac:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Gbear wrote: »
    If you eat any herb on it's own it tends not to taste nice.

I hope you've been eating fistfuls of coriander leaves.

Because if you don't like it in other things then you're are a deficient person and need to be fixed.

If there is a small bit of fresh coriander finely chopped in a dish the whole thing tastes like soap and I can't eat it. It's rank!

Coriander seed etc cooked in things are fine :)

Sugar Free wrote: »
    Although I've heard the same thing said about cucumber, for most people it's merely crunchy with little to no taste but for others it has a very strong and disgusting one.

Yeah, cucumber definitely isn't tasteless to me. I don't like it. :(

Larianne wrote: »
    Orly?

LOL, not you gorgeous!

Well impressed I am! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Coriander is (generally) what is responsible for making Indian grub so dam tssty.

I love it.

I do that - sun, bright lights. It's called photic sneezing. If I ever need to sneeze but can't, I instinctively look at the light. On bright summer days, when I first step out, I'll keep sneezing until I grow accustomed to the light. My whole family is like this, and I thought everyone was when I was young. It's very interesting. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Yeah, cucumber definitely isn't tasteless to me. I don't like it. :(

Apt time for it.... ....

You're doing it wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

I like coriander. Love ginger and lemongrass. I do cook celery but I prefer it in salads and juices. Apple, celery, natural yoghurt, herbs and lime juice = yum.

Advertisement