Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mind Our Men !

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

This talking to people doesn't always work.
    I attempted suicide some years ago by exhaust fumes. It took an awful long time and it was quite hard to maintain my courage for the time required so I failed. I should have chosen a quicker option. Eventually one night when I had drink taken I admitted it to my wife and my only brother and his wife. Nobody was supportive in any way. Soon after my brother broke off our business partnership and actively set out to destroy the part I was left with. I haven't spoken to him or her in a long long time now. It wasn't long before I was financially ruined. Some time later my wife and I had an argument and in a fit of anger she deliberately blurted the whole thing out in front of our two sons. She said they had the right to know what kind of a coward their father really was. I now have no brother, no money, a wife that despises me, I don't know what my sons think of me they never spoke of it again. I have no confidence, pride or personal dignity left. My life is a day to day hell. I don't even have the courage any more to attempt to end it. I would not be the first to advise anybody to talk things out. People will judge you and they will never forget. There will always be a doubt. There will always be a cloud over you. The best you can hope for is that either you will find a way through it under your own steam or that at least your end will be quick and painless. That's just my experience, make of it as you will.

I'm sorry this has happened to you and your family should have been more supportive, have you looked for help in other areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Circling the Drain

No I haven't approached anybody else for help. I learned that lesson the hard way. If the people I know and loved couldn't find it in their hearts to help when I needed it most why would a stranger? Even if a stranger did listen today how would that change the way I am viewed by my so-called family? I would still be a leper to them. God only knows how many people they have told. If they didn't care enough to help would they care enough to respect my privacy? I don't think so. I think some people in what used to be our social circle were told so I don't see them anymore. I live without social contact outside work and my job is solitary enough to start with. I never take conversations past the impersonal level any more. I pass the time of day but that's about it. I have totally withdrawn at this stage. I can no longer handle close personal contact in any form. I would love to have someone to confide in but at the same I know I am never going to trust anybody enough to do so. I can only say these things here because I feel anonymous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings

HondaSami wrote: »
    I don't think anyone has the power to fix someone and this is not about that, it's simply asking people to look out for the men in their lives who may need help.
    Telling one person can give people the confidence to talk with other people and then there will be a network of family/friends involved who can share the load.

I think it's a nice theory, like Christianity or Communism, but unless you involve doctors and counsellors, you might be multiplying the load rather than dividing it.

You're assuming that people on the verge of suicide are like birds with broken wings, not complex people who may have caused damage to those around them, or pushed them away, to have gotten to that stage. Looking out for people is something we should all be doing anyway, as long as it includes remembering to step back and refer to professionals if it looks like we're getting sucked in to a codependent or enabling relationship.

No I haven't approached anybody else for help. I learned that lesson the hard way. If the people I know and loved couldn't find it in their hearts to help when I needed it most why would a stranger? Even if a stranger did listen today how would that change the way I am viewed by my so-called family? I would still be a leper to them. God only knows how many people they have told. If they didn't care enough to help would they care enough to respect my privacy? I don't think so. I think some people in what used to be our social circle were told so I don't see them anymore. I live without social contact outside work and my job is solitary enough to start with. I never take conversations past the impersonal level any more. I pass the time of day but that's about it. I have totally withdrawn at this stage. I can no longer handle close personal contact in any form. I would love to have someone to confide in but at the same I know I am never going to trust anybody enough to do so. I can only say these things here because I feel anonymous.

Have you considered on line help forums? It is good to talk and even if it's on here it might help.
    You should contact one of the help lines.

a stranger who is professionally trained to assist people in your situation will be better able to help you, CtD, because they will be objective and they will focus on you as a person rather than an existing relationship they had with you. If you don't feel up to seeing your GP, why not call the Samaritans first - where you can be anonymous too - and take it from there? I hope you will find some help soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I will post this for anyone that might be interested in doing the course.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=console%20courses%20suicide&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CEQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.console.ie%2F&ei=UrdYUdSDLsqYhQeY2YFw&usg=AFQjCNEGlhTIjnuc2lOH9oRNcc5JQFGrBg

Suicide Prevention Training Programme
    ~ Question, Persuade, Refer ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Galway
    Tues 16th April, 2013
    National University of Ireland, Galway (NUIG)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cork
    Tues 23rd April, 2013
    University College Cork (UCC)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Dublin
    Tues 21st May, 2013
    University College Dublin (UCD)

Fee €75

Thanks for posting this. I know at least one person who will definitely take a place on it.

Have you considered on line help forums? It is good to talk and even if it's on here it might help.
    You should contact one of the help lines.
    This is the first time I have broken my silence, I'm not even sure I should have.

This is the first time I have broken my silence, I'm not even sure I should have.

Does it feel good to talk?

I'm not sure to be honest. I feel exposed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

I'm not sure to be honest. I feel exposed.

don't, what happened with your family was a bad experience, don't let it hold you back, not everybody is like that, and you were very brave to post here, be proud of yourself for taking that massive step.

some people can listen and be helpful, give the helplines a chance, they are there for you whenever you need them.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the kind replies but this is a far as I can go for now. I couldn't face talking to anybody.

Thanks for the kind replies but this is a far as I can go for now. I couldn't face talking to anybody.

The beauty of writing online is that you don't have to take part in the conversation in real time, like in a face to face or phone conversation. You can think out what you want to say as slowly and carefully as you like before posting. (This might be helpful in itself.) Other users will respond when they are online, so you might think of your post as "put to bed", then wake up in the morning to some helpful responses. At the very least, you'll know you're not alone.

[Mods, please correct my post if it's inaccurate advice]

If you're new here and haven't already seen it, you might like to go over to the Personal Issues forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=127

or here on AH

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75955119

You don't have to post until you're ready, but reading how lots of other people in your situation are getting on might help.

Thank you, you are very kind. I'll read those links.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

This talking to people doesn't always work.
    I attempted suicide some years ago by exhaust fumes. It took an awful long time and it was quite hard to maintain my courage for the time required so I failed. I should have chosen a quicker option. Eventually one night when I had drink taken I admitted it to my wife and my only brother and his wife. Nobody was supportive in any way. Soon after my brother broke off our business partnership and actively set out to destroy the part I was left with. I haven't spoken to him or her in a long long time now. It wasn't long before I was financially ruined. Some time later my wife and I had an argument and in a fit of anger she deliberately blurted the whole thing out in front of our two sons. She said they had the right to know what kind of a coward their father really was. I now have no brother, no money, a wife that despises me, I don't know what my sons think of me they never spoke of it again. I have no confidence, pride or personal dignity left. My life is a day to day hell. I don't even have the courage any more to attempt to end it. I would not be the first to advise anybody to talk things out. People will judge you and they will never forget. There will always be a doubt. There will always be a cloud over you. The best you can hope for is that either you will find a way through it under your own steam or that at least your end will be quick and painless. That's just my experience, make of it as you will.

Really sorry to hear that! That sounds like an exceptionally bad experience.

In my case, I've suffered from anxiety all my life (really affected my work, and have never really had a love life), and I decided not to share it with my friends or family. I'm not saying it's the right choice, but I knew it was something that wasn't going to be fixed overnight and I didn't want to be an endlessly complaining friend ("I'm bad today". "Bad again today". "Yeah, still bad..").

That's why going to see a psychiatrist, and then a CBT therapist helped me so much; because I didn't feel bad sharing all my problems with a complete stranger, whereas it would be more difficult with a friend/family member. I can't recommend highly enough getting professional help.

BUT, that's just my experience. Others might find talking to friends/family is more effective. Or maybe the friend/family member will give you the shove to get medical assistance.

Advertisement