Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mind Our Men !

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,122 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

We men can be our own worst enemy in cases like this.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »

It is getting better, suicide is talked about now and that is a good thing, admitting there is a problem is the hardest thing.

HondaSami wrote: »
    It is getting better, suicide is talked about now and that is a good thing, admitting there is a problem is the hardest thing.

I often wonder, question for the guys, if a friend came to you and confided in you that he was depressed and/or suicidal, would you know hwat to say?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

I often wonder, question for the guys, if a friend came to you and confided in you that he was depressed and/or suicidal, would you know hwat to say?

Honestly there's not much you can say. Listening is much more important.

The key is to create a culture where its not a taboo to tell your friends and family that you are not feeling well. It is getting better though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Yes I think I would, but I'd have to listen more so than talk.

The suicide rate among young men in this country is actually unbelievable and while people are becoming more aware and understanding, I can't help but to ask how many lives were lost in the amount of time it took..

• Advertisement

Nimrod 7 wrote: »
    Yes I think I would, but I'd have to listen more so than talk. Admitting I was in that position too should make it easier.

The suicide rate among young men in this country is actually unbelievable and while people are becoming more aware and understanding, I can't help but to ask how many lives were lost in the amount of time it took..

It is unbelievable but it's better to look forward than to look back, progress is being made and it's best to concentrate on making it easier for people who are suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Pieta House have helped me greatly and i will always give them my money.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Great to hear. I am very involved with suicide prevention due to the loss of my best mate and cousins. There is still a terrible lack of men bottling up and not talking.

It is a great question though, I know that we all think we are too busy and when someone does come to us we listen, but I bet 1/2 of us are still thinking about something else.

ANYTHING like this has to help, we need to drop the macho image.

One thing though which I couldn't actually answer, how do we know we need help? Most people woudln't know if they are depressed.

I will post this for anyone that might be interested in doing the course.

http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=console%20courses%20suicide&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CEQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.console.ie%2F&ei=UrdYUdSDLsqYhQeY2YFw&usg=AFQjCNEGlhTIjnuc2lOH9oRNcc5JQFGrBg

Suicide Prevention Training Programme
    ~ Question, Persuade, Refer ~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Galway
    Tues 16th April, 2013
    National University of Ireland, Galway (NUIG)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cork
    Tues 23rd April, 2013
    University College Cork (UCC)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Dublin
    Tues 21st May, 2013
    University College Dublin (UCD)

Fee €75

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Listen.

But then where do you go from there? I think this is the problem. The fear of not knowing. People fear they will be sent to a loony bin or others will find out that they have depression. The stigma of mental health is still there unfortunately.

Maybe, if you feel comfortable, give a brief outline of how you got help from Pieta and how? Just for posters who may want help but don't know what to do about it.
    http://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=console%20courses%20suicide&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CEQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.console.ie%2F&ei=UrdYUdSDLsqYhQeY2YFw&usg=AFQjCNEGlhTIjnuc2lOH9oRNcc5JQFGrBg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I did a similar training course last year, SafeTalk in college. Due to a high number of suicides within the college population last year the SU put these training sessions for class reps. Came in handy for the above.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Pint?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Pint?

Alcohol is one of the main factors in suicide, gives the person dutch courage. On the flip side of that, my mates have told me things over pints that they would never have said without.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

I would, and I could certainly help them more than most that are being paid as 'professionals' if only to push some drug aka sweep it under the carpet. Some folk are naturally deep, introverted.. melancholy tbh but if depressed is what they come forward with then you're right it may well be taken for suicidal, here.
    Larianne wrote: »
    People fear they will be sent to a loony bin or others will find out that they have depression. The stigma of mental health is still there unfortunately.

yeah it is; I had a weekend in one of those and my ma was so livid when she heard I was to be discharged almost as soon as I was admitted (when a top shrink intervened and apologized for my being restrained and drugged) she nearly got admitted herself!! So the stigma of even just being a bit of an introvert irl can have us labelled that, here but it was ultimately a liberating experience? and now I can be crazy til my hearts content without being you know, crazy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

We're not as aware of our emotions and what causes them and why.
    Cause we can't see them...so theyre not there....

You got to ask the little emotions why theyre there. catch them early and they act as an early warning system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Larianne wrote: »
    Listen.

But then where do you go from there? I think this is the problem. The fear of not knowing. People fear they will be sent to a loony bin or others will find out that they have depression. The stigma of mental health is still there unfortunately.

The main thing is to get people talking, once we get someone talking we can start to normalise the situation somewhat. A significant amount of people will experience some level of suicidal ideation at some point in their lives.

There are no guarantees here, but once people are talking about it, it reduces the risk of them acting out on it. It is the ones who don't talk that I get worried about. Just stay calm and listen, just allowing the person to get out whatever has been building can made a big difference.

Just being there for the person then getting them to contact a professional can be a significant intervention.

People can feel overwhelmed in such situations, but really all you need to do is the same thing you would do for a good friend who had a different type of problem. Listen to them and put them in contact with the people who can help them overcome the issue.

The standard response if you are concerned that someone is an immediate risk is to get them to attend A&E, but they are faced then with sitting there for up to 12 hours in order to be seen.

However, I do think the culture is slowly changing especially when I compare it to 20 years ago, that stigma and fear of being classed as mentally ill is changing.

yop wrote: »
    Alcohol is one of the main factors in suicide, gives the person dutch courage. On the flip side of that, my mates have told me things over pints that they would never have said without.

True.

Id suggest a couple of pints purely due to the fact that I am useless when put in situations like described in the opening piece. A pint or two, game of pool and a chat - then take it from there.

Of course, our binge drinking culture would also be another factor in as to why a lot of males suffer with depression.

Is like I always say, we will never survive unless we get a little crazy. And I don't mean bad, or nasty I mean challenging conformist norms of the mind which were always monotonously high here anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭VanishingActs

I'm glad to see such a great effort being put in. Two guys I went to school with have taken their own lives since we left school, both deaths left so many people devastated. I hope this campaign saves many lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I think part of the problem is the stigma of mental health clinic's & hospitals as "looney bins" we all say it and mock it even in some regards, but i think maybe people should be educated on the services they provide some times when you find it hard to cope with life you need to get away from where ever it is you are when your in that mind set, and these place's can help you refocus and find the space to clear your mind.

I think it would be a good subject to approach in a personal development class that they have in secondary schools (well they did when i went to school /imold) to inform people about them earlier in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Id listen if they wanted to talk but id strongly recommend for them to go see a GP and tell them how their feeling as well since a doctor would be of more use to them and point them in the right direction to get help.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭keelanj69

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Galway
    Tues 16th April, 2013
    National University of Ireland, Galway (NUIG)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Cork
    Tues 23rd April, 2013
    University College Cork (UCC)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Dublin
    Tues 21st May, 2013
    University College Dublin (UCD)

Fee €75

Seems worthwile. I might book a place.

Lone Stone wrote: »
    I think part of the problem is the stigma of mental health clinic's & hospitals as "looney bins"

but when the majority of inmates seemingly content to be there are clearly that, its not hard to make that "mistake"? I am uncomfortable with grown men roaming the wards constantly asking have I any chocolate, for instance.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Do you have a decent graduate level position?

I recently learned my next of kin (which is the Mammy I suppose!) get 4 times my not so high annual salary but still it's a tidy sum.
    Of course you won't get that if you are declared a suicide case.

So what to do?
    Crash a car/motorbike I suppose

Point of my useless post.
    Employees in a desperate situation may look at the €€€ that their employer put on their head and decide since they are "worthless" their family would be better off with a six figure sum then themself

Six figures, well over 100,000K, a sum most people will never see in a cash transfer in their life

Never thought of that, MikeMac1.

For a lot of lads, we take it as a given that we provide for our nearest and dearest. In the current economic climate, that may not always be possible.

Some desperate people may be feeling down and worthless, for not being able to give their families the lifestyle they wish or because they are straddled with debt - they may see that as a way out.

Jaysus, this thread isnt pretty bedtime reading.

Honestly there's not much you can say. Listening is much more important.

The key is to create a culture where its not a taboo to tell your friends and family that you are not feeling well. It is getting better though.
    Yeah, I know, but it's stil something I wonder if men are really able to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

but when the majority of inmates seemingly content to be there are clearly that, its not hard to make that "mistake"? I am uncomfortable with grown men roaming the wards constantly asking have I any chocolate, for instance.

What are you even talking about??

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tearwave

What are you even talking about??

He's saying there are some genuinely absolutely out of their mind, on another planet altogether, mental patients in psychiatric institutions... I think

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Tearwave

Anyway my own opinion is we need laws to protect those with a medical history of mental illness (maybe they exist, pardon my ignorance) from not being eligible for applying for certain jobs like working with the public or children or air traffic control etc. Fear of screwing up your career I'd imagine would turn a lot of people off seeking help, especially since the recession began

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Of course not, I'm not a trained counselor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Tearwave wrote: »
    Anyway my own opinion is we need laws to protect those with a medical history of mental illness (maybe they exist, pardon my ignorance) from not being eligible for applying for certain jobs like working with the public or children or air traffic control etc. Fear of screwing up your career I'd imagine would turn a lot of people off seeking help, especially since the recession began

What? Are you saying you don't want people with a history of mental health issues working with kids? Because they currently can. You can choose to disclose (or not) your past when applying for a job. People can and do recover from these things. Someone could have been depressed to the point of being suicidal five years ago and be alright now.
    And people applying for high stress jobs like air traffic control are carefully vetted. They can't afford to take a chance. It's all down to how a person deals with stress. Even if their mental health is alright, they mightn't make it in the job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Duzzer

Tell you the truth "mind our men" sounds a bit patronising or something. Unpopular,thing to say but i know there are others out there that might agree

Advertisement