Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SDLP call for the release of Marian Price.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

T runner wrote: »
    I think using violence to protect your family and liberties is fine by me. There had been ongoing loyalist and state pogroms and violence against the nationalist community in NI since the mid-sixties/ You knew that right?

Imperial powers use violence against entire nations for selfish reasons. I have a feeling that such actions resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people would not meet your dissapproval, yet a woman defending her family and community (by attacking the state responsible for the oppression) is a homicidal maniac?

Your fairness is as off kilter as your understanding of Irish history.

Oh please.

Marian price wasn't defending anything, she was following in her father's footsteps and went to London to bomb the English.

Her goal was one of nationalism, not self defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

guttenberg wrote: »
    Republicans ultimately want a united Ireland, they believe the use of violence/arms will help achieve that. Read up on the history of Ireland if you want to understand how they justify that. The GFA was sold to them as a peaceful means of furthering their objective of getting a united Ireland. That hasn't happened, and they feel disillusioned with the current political situation in the North(look at their recent comments on Sinn Fein) so they've reverted to armed actions. Look at the Facebook pages of those involved with the Belfast flag debacle. They too feel the GFA has failed them, and it hasn't cemented their culture/standing as part of the UK. Irrespective of all this, should Marian Price remain in prison solely on the say so of someone who isn't accountable to the electorate of Northern Ireland?

If she's associating and aiding them then yes she should certainly be locked up. It doesnt matter how "wronged" the dissidents feel what their doing is still illegal as is the loyalist rioters who decided to smash the place up because they were unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Let her die in prison, there's no place for murderers like her out here in the free world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

So people should be locked up for just "associating" with them? Bit of a mad idea here, but maybe we'd want to consider locking people up only if they commit crimes?

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    Let her die in prison, there's no place for murderers like her out here in the free world.
    When can I expect to see you preforming a citizens arrest on Gerry Kelly?

• Advertisement

GRMA wrote: »
    When can I expect to see you preforming a citizens arrest on Gerry Kelly?
    Strawman argument is a strawman argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Strawman argument is a strawman argument.

Would you be equally in favour of loyalists killers being returned to prison for life?

So people should be locked up for just "associating" with them? Bit of a mad idea here, but maybe we'd want to consider locking people up only if they commit crimes?

There are literally hundreds of people openly associating with dissidents and calling for the war to ne restarted, yet miraculously they aren't locked up.

Do you honestly believe Marian Price has been locked up just for the fun of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

A convicted terrorist associating with dissidents would clearly set alarm bells ringing.

There are literally hundreds of people openly associating with dissidents and calling for the war to ne restarted, yet miraculously they aren't locked up.

Do you honestly believe Marian Price has been locked up just for the fun of it?
    I think she was locked up in order to shut her up, stupid move as it turns out as its had the opposite effect.

Heres a question for you, do you think all those arguing for her release support dissidents or even have time for republicanism in general?

• Advertisement

I think she was locked up in order to shut her up, stupid move as it turns out as its had the opposite effect.

Heres a question for you, do you think all those arguing for her release support dissidents or even have time for republicanism in general?

In general, I would say that there is a lot of band wagon jumping by people who want to look cool, bit haven't actually considered the fact that Marian Price may well deserve to be behind bars.

Lets face it GRMA, she could have shot the two soldiers at Massarene and provided detailed instructions on making bombs and people would still ne calling for her release.

Would you be equally in favour of loyalists killers being returned to prison for life?
    Another strawman, we aren't talking about loyalist killers we are talking about Marian Price and whether or not she should get out of prison. I refuse to allow the republican sympathisers here to derail the thread.

In general, I would say that there is a lot of band wagon jumping by people who want to look cool, bit haven't actually considered the fact that Marian Price may well deserve to be behind bars.

Lets face it GRMA, she could have shot the two soldiers at Massarene and provided detailed instructions on making bombs and people would still ne calling for her release.

Yeah because supporting the release of former IRA members like marian price is the height of cool. It takes an extrordinary degree of arrogance to label people who support her release as unthinking bandwagoners.

She didn't do any of those things so I dont see why you throw that out there... If she did do that you'd have nowhere near the amount of people calling for her release.

Yeah because supporting the release of former IRA members like marian price is the height of cool. It takes an extrordinary degree of arrogance to label people who support her release as unthinking bandwagoners.

She didn't do any of those things so I dont see why you throw that out there... If she did do that you'd have nowhere near the amount of people calling for her release.

With all due respect, you do seem to have a 100% track record when it comes to calling for prisoner release in NI.

All these shootings, attempted shootings and bombs must happen by magic, because everytime someone gets arrested they are apparently innocent.

That sounds to me like a band wagon jumper to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

Another strawman, we aren't talking about loyalist killers we are talking about Marian Price and whether or not she should get out of prison. I refuse to allow the republican sympathisers here to derail the thread.

:eek: I'm far from a republican or trying to derail the thread. I'm a strong believer in due process which some posters, such as yourself, seem to believe shouldn't be afforded to dissident republicans. A Court of Law is the only body which should determine if someone has broken the law, and by extension, sentence them to be in prison. Marian Price, even though I disagree with her views, has not been convicted of any crime. She was returned to prison by someone who is not accountable to the people of Northern Ireland. Does innocent until proven guilty not apply if your as vocally opposed to the peace process as she is?

:eek: I'm far from a republican or trying to derail the thread. I'm a strong believer in due process which some posters, such as yourself, seem to believe shouldn't be afforded to dissident republicans. A Court of Law is the only body which should determine if someone has broken the law, and by extension, sentence them to be in prison. Marian Price, even though I disagree with her views, has not been convicted of any crime. She was returned to prison by someone who is not accountable to the people of Northern Ireland. Does innocent until proven guilty not apply if your as vocally opposed to the peace process as she is?

How is a UK minister not accountable to the people of the UK?

Besides, the crime she is in prison for is one she committed in London.

She poses a known significant threat to state security. And is waiting prosecution to two charges. Everyone deserves a fresh break if they truly repent but I don't see any evidence that Price has repented, if she had then she wouldn't have been at a dissident rally in Derry.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

T runner wrote: »
    I think using violence to protect your family and liberties is fine by me.
    I know what you mean. Someone tried to break into my house last week and hurt my family, so I planted a bomb in London and killed some innocent people.
    Your fairness is as off kilter as your understanding of Irish history.
    Ah, the old "you disagree with me therefore you're ignorant" style of Republican argument. That never gets old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

a) Bombed the old bailey with her sister, SF MLA Gerry Kelly and others.

That's all I need to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

a) Bombed the old bailey with her sister, SF MLA Gerry Kelly and others. They went on hungerstrike and were repeatedly forcefed, in effect a kind of torture which resulted in the murder of Michael Gaughan. She and her sister in particular suffered very badly and had a whole host of mental and physical ailments as a result. They were released, near death, in 1980 or so.

b) She held a piece of paper at a commemoration in Derry from which a masked man read an easter message from the RIRA. The authorities acknowledged she didnt know the content of it. She was charged over this and given bail, but then the secretary of state "revoked her license" this is disputed because she was pardoned rather than released on license. Either way the authorities can not not produce anything giving her license terms. The charges over the commemoration were then dropped - ie she committed no crime. So she did nothing which warranted prison.

c) Because its a human rights issue, she shouldnt be in jail. Its wrong to imprison someone because of their politics unless they commit a crime which she hasnt - if she has she should face trial. Theres also the fact that she is extremely ill, she could not even go to her sisters funeral, they were very close. As it is she is kept in hospital and numerous doctors have said that she is too ill, doesn't represent a threat and should be released. This regularly happens with other prisoners. There is also concern over her potentially dying - should dissident republicans be given a martyr?

As has been pointed out its not just republicans calling for her release but human rights campaigners and politicians of all hues.

Balacalva wearing dissident:
    hey Marion got a wee problem with my hands, do you mind holding this speech while I read it out.

Marion Price:
    sure I will, not as if I'm doing anything wrong as I'm sure the speech is innocent enough, Proberly about the weather or something, after all what else could a balaclava wearing dissident possibly have to talk about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I dont think any of these recent bombs, pathetic as they were, were meant to kill- rather they were meant to disrupt. They are more understandable because they are motivated by resistance to the root causes of most of the problems of Northern Ireland rather than throwing a sectarian tizzy over the removal of a foreign flag that you have adopted as your tribal emblem. Im opposed to violence- all violence.

Crazy stuff. How many times have we seen people blown to pieces by bombs that "we supposed to just disrupt". Planting a bomb is attempted murder as the weapon is out of the control of the planter as soon as he's done his filthy work.

You're showing your colours there btw. Absolutely no tolerance for anything British.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

junder wrote: »
    hey Marion got a wee problem with my hands, do you mind holding this speech while I read it out.

Marion Price:
    sure I will, not as if I'm doing anything wrong as I'm sure the speech is innocent enough, Proberly about the weather or something, after all what else could a balaclava wearing dissident possibly have to talk about

so what your saying is that what she done was only morally wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

so what your saying is that what she done was only morally wrong?

I'm saying she knew full well she was breaching her licence conditions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

pardon not license if it was a breech she would have been arrested years ago its not like she opted out of political life for a few decades

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Lets be fair now Junder, the whole thing stinks. Marion is clearly no angel, but she is being held under seriously questionable pretences. And the problem I have with it is that it gives me absolutely no confidence in the legal system up North, and more worryingly gives dissidents a clear chance to build support.

The issue is really about having a fair and efficient legal system whereby people are prosecuted fairly by the law. Where everyone can agree that the legal system is impartial and just.

As it stands we have someone in jail because a pardon (which was clearly granted) was revoked because they held a piece of paper.

How can licence conditions be broken if nobody actually has the licence?

There is a serious chance that she might die whilst being held.

Surely you would agree that the absolute last thing that Northern Ireland needs is a new republican Martyr?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

Cliste wrote: »
    There is a serious chance that she might die whilst being held.

Surely you would agree that the absolute last thing that Northern Ireland needs is a new republican Martyr?

I could live with it.

The way i see it if she is released people will die.

She is a terrorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭Lonesome Boatman

Disgusting abuse of her human rights.

getzls wrote: »
    I could live with it.

Down with human rights! :rolleyes:
    getzls wrote: »
    The way i see it if she is released people will die.

She is a terrorist.

Even the police up north haven't claimed that...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Taoiseach Enda Kenny and Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore have welcomed a decision by the Northern Ireland Parole Commissioners to release Belfast republican Marian Price from prison.
    She has been in custody for two years after being arrested following a dissident republican rally in Derry.
    Price was moved from Hydebank Prison several months ago to Belfast City Hospital where she was under guard in poor health.
    She and her sister Dolores, who died earlier this year, were convicted in connection with the IRA's 1973 London bombing campaign.
    During a campaign to be repatriated to an Irish jail, the sisters were force fed while on hunger strike. Their health suffered and they were released early.
    Mr Kenny said there had been growing concern about Marian Price's health and that he had raised her continued imprisonment with British Prime Minister Cameron on a number of occasions.
    Mr Gilmore said the decision will be widely welcomed on humanitarian grounds.
    Sinn Féin president Gerry Adams welcomed the Parole Board's decision.
    He said Price, also known by her married name Marian McGlinchey, was being held without due process and has been "very ill for most of this time".
    A statement from the Northern Ireland Office said: "The Parole Commissioners have decided, given her current circumstances, to release Marian McGlinchey on licence.
    "Such a licence is normally subject to conditions."
    Sinn Féin MLA Jennifer McCann said the decision to release Price was long overdue.
    She said the party had made representations to the parole hearing.
    Ms McCann said: "This was a form of internment and was a threat to the peace process".
    It is understood Price will remain under medical care for a period due to her continuing poor health.From RTE NEWS

It seems everyone well almost everyone agrees she should have been released.

Advertisement