Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SDLP call for the release of Marian Price.

Options
  • 31-03-2013 2:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0330/379102-sdlp-calls-for-marian-price-release/

I for one am very glad that they have done this and hope that they will continue to speak out against such grave actions of political policing. I also hope they speak out against the gag order on Willie Frazer even though he doesnt have a lot of sensible things to say.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Only a matter of time before she is released I hope, there is a political consensus across the island that she should be released (apart from the unionist parties)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

GRMA wrote: »
    Only a matter of time before she is released I hope, there is a political consensus across the island that she should be released (apart from the unionist parties)

I think she should be released however I dont see it happening.

http://thepensivequill.am/2013/03/another-one-interned-by-decree.html

The UK government wants Northern Ireland to be quite and act as normally as possible- and is prepared to come down hard to make it do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I haven't seen this political consensus at all. What are you referring to?

Phoebas wrote: »
    I haven't seen this political consensus at all. What are you referring to?
    There is cross party support for her release - look at the unanimous motions calling for her release by many county councils across the country

Fianna Fáil, Labour and even Fine Gael want her released. As do (as far as I can see) all of the opposition in the Dáil

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

There is cross party support for her release - look at the unanimous motions calling for her release by many county councils across the country

Fianna Fáil, Labour and even Fine Gael want her released. As do (as far as I can see) all of the opposition in the Dáil

Indeed, there does seem to be cross party support for her release - especially amongst opposition TD's throughout the political divide.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 hare

SF could make a start by leaving their friends on the policeing board.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Hope she doesn't get out. Don't have any sympathy for murders like her.

Hope she doesn't get out. Don't have any sympathy for murders like her.

Well the British state themselves released her before the troubles ended on compassionate grounds and her being put back into prison was clearly down to her political views. Also I think dont think she is the type of person who would have been involved in hurting people if it hadnt been for the situation that existed in Belfast in the late 60s/early 70s. Its clear that she is in jail not because of the Old Bailey bombing but because of her opposition to the GFA and to scare others away from public opposition to it. She is also now at this stage a frail and ill woman. Do you agree with the gag order on Willie Frazer and Jamie Bryson also?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Well the British state themselves released her before the troubles ended on compassionate grounds and her being put back into prison was clearly down to her political views. Also I think dont think she is the type of person who would have been involved in hurting people if it hadnt been for the situation that existed in Belfast in the late 60s/early 70s. Its clear that she is in jail not because of the Old Bailey bombing but because of her opposition to the GFA and to scare others away from public opposition to it. She is also now at this stage a frail and ill woman. Do you agree with the gag order on Willie Frazer and Jamie Bryson also?

She is in prison for breaching her licence conditions. It's odd that every republican that has been arrested recently suddenly develops fatal illnesses

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It seems very simple to me, if she's suspected of doing something she should be charged with an offense and tried before a jury of her peers.
    What legal loophole is being used to imprison someone without trial? Isn't internment supposed to be a thing of the past? :confused:

• Advertisement

junder wrote: »
    She is in prison for breaching her licence conditions. It's odd that every republican that has been arrested recently suddenly develops fatal illnesses

She wasnt released under the GFA. She made pro-PIRA statements after her release when their campaign was going on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

It seems very simple to me, if she's suspected of doing something she should be charged with an offense and tried before a jury of her peers.
    What legal loophole is being used to imprison someone without trial? Isn't internment supposed to be a thing of the past? :confused:

She was released under license. She broke the conditions of that license and had her release revoked.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 806 ✭✭✭getzls

junder wrote: »

Indeed!

Though was she not released 30 years ago because she was at deaths door?

She was released under license. She broke the conditions of that license and had her release revoked.

Yet the British state has lost the terms of the original terms of the release.

Limited cross party support != political consensus.

Have any of the major parties passed motions at party conference/Ard Fheis ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Which county councils have called for her release?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Also I think dont think she is the type of person who would have been involved in hurting people if it hadnt been for the situation that existed in Belfast in the late 60s/early 70s.
    Yeah, every single pacifist in Belfast spontaneously became a homicidal maniac during that timeframe. I mean, it's not like they had any choice, right?
    Yet the British state has lost the terms of the original terms of the release.
    I'm sure Marian has a copy kicking about somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

even the UN special rapporteur on health called for her release so I'm all for it
    she has been tortured according to the UN definition of torture

ohh and she received a royal prerogative of mercy which is a full pardon

even the UN special rapporteur on health called for her release so I'm all for it
    she has been tortured according to the UN definition of torture
    Do you have a link to any of this?

As I understand it, the Special Rapporteur said that solitary confinement could amount to torture.
    ohh and she received a royal prerogative of mercy which is a full pardon
    She was let out on licence and she broke the terms of her release.

She was let out on licence and she broke the terms of her release.

She was released and we heard no more about her having to be politically silent until suddenly after years of her writing articles and voicing her opinion we are told that doing so was breaking the terms of her licence. But the British state has lost these terms that were never mentioned until her arrest and she denies ever existed- bit strange that.

• Advertisement

She was released and we heard no more about her having to be politically silent until suddenly after years of her writing articles and voicing her opinion we are told that doing so was breaking the terms of her licence. But the British state has lost these terms that were never mentioned until her arrest and she denies ever existed- bit strange that.
    That being the case, a simple legal action should clear things up.

That being the case, a simple legal action should clear things up.

We are talking about Northern Ireland. The fact that a simple legal action has not cleared things says it all really.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

Hopefully the murderous wench never walks our streets again, to openly support the return to violence against the will of the people and being opposed the the democratic agreement which was good enough at the time to get her vile murdering self out of prision shows her character.

gallag wrote: »
    Hopefully the murderous wench never walks our streets again, to openly support the return to violence against the will of the people and being opposed the the democratic agreement which was good enough at the time to get her vile murdering self out of prision shows her character.

Try and learn the FACTS. She never supported the GFA and was not released because of it, she was released nearly two decades before it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭RandomName2

I would normally say "trial or release" but she seems to be back inside serving time for her original conviction (of bombing).

She should still have a date of release, of course. Mind you, that date of release might be quite down the line. Gerry Kelly got two life sentences for the same bombing... before making an armed escape from the Maze, becoming a terrorist in the Netherlands, arrested and extradited back to the UK and making it as a Sinn Fein MLA. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

garhjw, please read the charter before posting, particularly concerning the use of "scum"/"scumbags"

Amen.

Could you republicans not perhaps focus your energies on slightly more productive campaigns for the country? Or will you ever move past getting your criminal members out of jail as a primary objective?

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭guttenberg

So intern her indefinitely because her politics are different to yours and mine? wasn't that tried before and failed to solve NI's problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

guttenberg wrote: »
    So intern her indefinitely because her politics are different to yours and mine? wasn't that tried before and failed to solve NI's problems?

I'm sure gallag wishes the same on the thousands of loyalists who opposed the democratic vote over the flag issue.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭gallag

I'm sure gallag wishes the same on the thousands of loyalists who opposed the democratic vote over the flag issue.

If they started bombing people over the flag issue then yes, why is all the attention on the small amount of flag protesters at the minute and no mention of the republican bombs going off or being found nearly weekly at the minute?

Advertisement