Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time to vote FF

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

In my recent years I have swore not to vote for FF, FG, Greens, Labour and the Shinners because of some issue or another.
    I have nobody to vote for except some Independent who will probably be a waste of a vote.
    What a state Irish politics is in.

Tayto, the ultimate floater voter....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I've heard this "FF will have learned from their mistakes" line several times in recent days. It's almost like an organised campaign...

It's an interesting strategy, but then what else can they do. "Vote for us, we've made all the mistakes it's possible to make so we can only do good things from here on."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Anynama141

hmmm wrote: »
    I've heard this "FF will have learned from their mistakes" line several times in recent days. It's almost like an organised campaign...

It's an interesting strategy, but then what else can they do. "Vote for us, we've made all the mistakes it's possible to make so we can only do good things from here on."
    Odd that they didn't learn from their mistakes when they nearly killed the country at birth with DeValera's economic isolationism, and when they brought the country to its knees again in the 70s with giveaway budgets to buy elections. Anyone remember the depressed Ireland of the 80s? That was Fianna Failure's work too.

So many lessons, learned so many times...until they got back into office and went back to their old tricks faster than you could say 'brown envelope'.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I have a lot of controversial political views as most people here will be aware of, and I'm a firm believer that our entire system of government needs to be completely redesigned from the bottom up, but amidst all of these complicated and still forming ideologies, one absolute fact reigns supreme above all else:

FF must never, ever, ever, ever be allowed anywhere near any position of authority ever again for as long as that miserable organization continues to blight this country with its existence.
    I fear you will be disappointed. I think there are many of us reeling from Meath, and realising just how short the memory of the electorate is. Whilst we always knew there were die hard FF voters who could never, ever lift their pencil to vote for another party, and just abstained in the last election, we didnt see how quickly the voters who switched allegiances would switch back.

...and there's the problem in a nutshell - hatrickpatrick, unless your complete redesign involves a replacement for democracy, you're setting yourself up for bitter disappointment.

The problem with Irish politics is the Irish electorate. Until we figure that out, we'll continue to waste our energy whining about how crap our politicians are.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    The problem with Irish politics is the Irish electorate. Until we figure that out, we'll continue to waste our energy whining about how crap our politicians are.
    This is true. Fianna Fail are rubbish populists, but people like rubbish populism in this country until, inevitably, the wheels fall off. Then we want easy answers to fix the new disaster.

Every day on Boards there are posters who think that TDs, instead of making laws to improve the running of the country, should be scrambling around pulling strokes and doing favours for their constituents in return for votes. Bizarre attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

Why vote for the least worse? Spoil your vote! If everyone did it there might be a bloody change instead of the same as$holes getting huge money to fukc up the place!

gutteruu wrote: »
    Why vote for the least worse? Spoil your vote! If everyone did it there might be a bloody change instead of the same as$holes getting huge money to fukc up the place!
    What will change when a small minority of people spoil their votes?

Whenever I hear of a spoiled vote, I assume it's the work of some idiot who doesn't know how a ballot paper works.

Why vote for the least worse? Spoil your vote! If everyone did it there might ....
    Anynama141 wrote: »
    What will change when a small minority of people spoil their votes?

And your the one I think of when I hear about these polls!

The quota is a function of the valid poll figure. In the unlikely event that 90% of people spoil their ballot, 10% of the people who actually bother to show up at a polling station will determine the outcome.

If 90% of the people spoiled their vote, they won't be in power for long. I refuse to vote for crooks and thieves just because my vote won't be counted towards seats.

• Advertisement

If 90% of the people spoiled their vote, they won't be in power for long. I refuse to vote for crooks and thieves just because my vote won't be counted towards seats.

So vote for someone who isn't a crook or a thief.

But everyone will not do it - only a small minority ever would. If people actually took the time and interest to join such an organised campaign, we wouldn't have such rubbish political candidates to choose from in the first place, would we?

As soon as I find one on the ballot, I will be more than happy to tick away! The current crop help do more damage to me than having monkeys in power. Honestly. Everytime they decide something I end up with less money.

As soon as I find one on the ballot, I will be more than happy to tick away! The current crop help do more damage to me than having monkeys in power. Honestly. Everytime they decide something I end up with less money.
    So basically good government is putting more money in your pocket?

Don't you realise that this attitude is what kept Fianna Failure in power for nearly the last 2 decades? Christ on a bike. Do people have no insight at all? :rolleyes:

But everyone will not do it - only a small minority ever would. If people actually took the time and interest to join such an organised campaign, we wouldn't have such rubbish political candidates to choose from in the first place, would we?

FF absolutely fukced up this country for 2 generations. Anyone I know under 30 is gone, probably never to return. Anyone left will be paying off debts until 2058!

It's absolutely amazing that people would argue against spoiling versus voting FF when we are in the **** because of them!

Your solution, vote for the less worse guy until he screws us over, then come full circle again. This is why we have nobody to vote for!!

We have the stereotype of being the "thick old Irish" abroad. Maybe they are right!

Do people have no insight at all? :rolleyes:
    None; zip; nada.

But on the positive side, they get to decide who runs the country. Yay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

If FF get back into power come the next general election or even hold the second largest amount of seats I would not be surprised in the slightest, and its sick to even think of it that way but imo its true.

There are an awful lot of elderly people in this country who still think that FF were and still are the best thing since sliced bread for many stupid reasons like the bus pass, the generous state pensions and from my own grandparents experience Bertie dropping in for a cup of tea at that special time of the year :rolleyes: and more reason which they refuse to get into.

I wouldn't considering myself that politically minded but I do know whats good and whats bad in obvious cases. And to hear people who are years retired have reasons such as above to vote in one of the most corrupt parties is worrying along with the ignorance as to the consequences that can effect young people like me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

wyndhurst wrote: »
    Like it or not........They also have the fact that Micheál Martin is by far the best party leader in place at the moment.

Part of the reason FF have (or should have, in a world not requiring medication) no real credibility is that somebody who was a cabinet member of the previous FF government is in charge. There should have been a clean sweep.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,892 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

In the last 22 years of eligibility I have always used my vote, voting left for the greens and labour with the odd protest (ignorant youth) vote to SF in my early years.

It occurs to me that come the next election we are going to see the unthinkable, a FF led government and I might just be one of the people who give them a vote
    Currently the labour vote has collapsed and FG are static, there are many reasons for this, mainly incompetence in office from both parties but also importantly the fact people are struggling to pay back what they borrowed and are not willing to accept responsibility so the government will have to take the blame . Labour, despite their recent success (2011 GE) only ever had a support base of 10-12% nationwide and mainly Urban , they got a lot of anti FG votes during the 2011 GE which has dissipated now. FG are FG, in their history they have never been much more than opposition to FF, FF lite is probably apt as they are less organised and have less talent.
    Urban voters know this and can see the FG machine deflect (ala FF) problems onto the minor partner so they will not move to FG, actually they will never move to FG, this leaves FF and SF

Thats some fine piece of detailed political analysis:pac:]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

bertie-laughing-4.jpg?w=132&h=166

FF lest some of you forget is the party that brought you Charlie Haughey, Ray Burke, Liam Lawlor, Bertie Ahern, Sean "Fixer" Doherty, Albert Reynolds, Ray McSharry, Charlie McCreevy, Padraig Flynn (and daughter Beverly)....the list is endless and over such a long period of time that even bitter, twisted me has begun to forget some of the names. That is of course what they rely on - the electorate being punch drunk from scandal and crises....

Plenty more reasons here: http://thatsireland.wordpress.com/2007/11/05/fianna-fails-fifty-ways-to-laugh-at-voters/ to never vote for FF ever again. The party should be a 'proscribed' organisation and Section 31 of the Broadcasting Act reinstated for the ****ers. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Is this thread an Aprils fools joke? Vote for FF? If you are considering voting for them, maybe consider emigrating instead

If FF are in government after the next election, I can honestly see myself never moving back to Ireland. To be honest, it would make ashamed to be irish, on a par with Sinn Fein getting into government.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭seanl77

I live in north tipperary, a real hotbed of political incompetence and 15,000 people that give their first preference to the most corrupt politician in recent irish history....and thats a fair achievement! Have no idea who FF will run in the next election, not that i would vote for them anyway. The FG TD rarely leaves his own area and has nothing to do with the rest of his constituency, the labour TD has broken every single pre-election promise he made ie no child benefit cuts, no property tax, protecting the services in nenagh hospital etc. That leaves the famous Lowry and a random couple of independents......... a fantastic selection!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

If FF are in government after the next election, I can honestly see myself never moving back to Ireland. To be honest, it would make ashamed to be irish, on a par with Sinn Fein getting into government.

Can see a FF/SF coalitition myself. Shiver in my spine as I type it, but I think its a possibility.

Can see a FF/SF coalitition myself. Shiver in my spine as I type it, but I think its a possibility.
    People want easy answers, and they will get them under SF/FF. Everyone knows that doing the easy thing always leads to long-term success.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

oscarBravo wrote: »
    So vote for someone who isn't a crook or a thief.

I think the problem in turn is that anyone principled and honest doesn't survive long in politics. It's an expensive business getting elected, so you either join a party and put your own views aside in favor of the party leaders, or else you run independent and have to pay a large amount of cash to get yourself known etc.

Definitely a banana republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭StudentDad

Vote FF or jump into river full of hungry crocodiles? Mmmmm I'll have the crocs please Dave. :D

SD

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithi1970

Ming is the answer.

Now, what was the question again?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

spoiling votes is stupidity of the highest order, akin to "i dont understand the lisbon treaty so i'm gonna vote no", silly tactics with no thought, if you dont feel anyone is suitable, abstain from voting, muddying the figures isnt a noble gesture, its almost a hard man action to boast about in the pub imo

Advertisement