Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in film

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭p to the e

Johnny Mandel

An American composer who throughout his illustrious career had a successful turn at composing music for film. Even though he won an Academy Award for Best Original Song for co writing the 1965 song "The Shadow of Your Smile", his most recognised work is probably "Suicide is Painless" or better known as the theme tune to M*A*S*H.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Mandel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Is_Painless

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,280 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Carl Reiner has died at the age of 98. He was responsible for some of the funniest films ever back when Steve Martin was still funny, including The Jerk, The Man With Two Brains, and my favourite, Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid.

www.variety.com/2020/biz/news/carl-reiner-dead-died-dick-van-dyke-1234694208/amp/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ah noes! As you say he directed all the funny Martin films.

But so much more Caesar's Hour, Your Show of Shows, The Dick Van Dyke Show and of course 2000 Year Old Man with Mel Brooks who must be pretty devastated - they were a showbiz item for about 70 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

https://twitter.com/carlreiner/status/1277021923805786112?s=19

What a beautiful thing to say at 98 years of age.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Ah **** he was great I remember he did an animated series Father of the Pride with John Goodman he ripped him apart loved his cameo in Two and a half men dry old bastatd was great. Him and Mel Brooks did great things definitely gonna be missed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

Forgot he was involved in Oceans 11 and oceans 12 damn I'm gonna have to go and look and his list of films now best I remember watching is a man with two brains Steve Martin at his best

Ah well that's sad. One of the OG's. I never knew how close Mel Brooks and him were. It makes this scene even better. "I HATE Carl Reiner".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

p to the e wrote: »
    Johnny Mandel

An American composer who throughout his illustrious career had a successful turn at composing music for film. Even though he won an Academy Award for Best Original Song for co writing the 1965 song "The Shadow of Your Smile", his most recognised work is probably "Suicide is Painless" or better known as the theme tune to M*A*S*H.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Mandel

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Is_Painless
    I saw so many reruns of the M*A*S*H TV show as a kid. I remember the surprise when I finally saw the movie and heard those lyrics! The contrasting cheerful tune and dark subject matter suited the movie so well though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,127 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

p to the e wrote: »
    I never knew how close Mel Brooks and him were.
    They're both together in an episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee. It's on Netflix if you have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Danny Hicks, star of Evil Dead 2 and Intruder, has passed away aged 68. Danny will be forever remembered for his roles in these two legendary genre classics, as well as appearing in Maniac Cop, Darkman, Wishmaster and My Name is Bruce.

danny-hicks.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

"Bobby Joe!!!"

mikhail wrote: »
    I saw so many reruns of the M*A*S*H TV show as a kid. I remember the surprise when I finally saw the movie and heard those lyrics! The contrasting cheerful tune and dark subject matter suited the movie so well though.

I never knew the lyrics to this but that theme always made me feel somewhat melancholy.

I always had it in my mind of the field surgery team trying to put a brave face, in front of the horrors of war.

The lyrics suit the tone of the music perfectly, actually.

I never knew the lyrics to this but that theme always made me feel somewhat melancholy.

I always had it in my mind of the field surgery team trying to put a brave face, in front of the horrors of war.

The lyrics suit the tone of the music perfectly, actually.

According to Wikipedia:
    "Director Robert Altman had two stipulations about the song for Mandel: it had to be called "Suicide Is Painless" and it had to be the "stupidest song ever written". Altman attempted to write the lyrics himself, but upon finding it too difficult for his 45-year-old brain to write "stupid enough," he gave the task to his 14-year-old-son Michael, who wrote the lyrics in five minutes".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The most odd thing about Suicide Is Painless is that it spent 3 weeks at No 1 in 1980.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭MfMan

Linda Cristal, Argentine-born actress, The High Chaparral, Mr Majestyk.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Definitely not "lesser known" and definitely a genius. He took a fall, apparently.

RIP, Ennio Morricone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

i created he's own thread as its deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Kelly Preston who starred in Twins and who was married to John Travolta has died of breast cancer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Travolta's first wife and his mother died of breast cancer also. Thought Kelly was younger but still 57 is no age really.

Jerry Maguire would be the most recent film I'd associate her with but really, being a teenager of the 80's, it's more the films like Run, Secret Admirer and Mischief that come to mind when I think of her.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Cazale wrote: »
    Kelly Preston who starred in Twins and who was married to John Travolta has died of breast cancer.

Their son died a while back too

RIP

I think last I seen her in was a Maroon 5 video

• Registered Users Posts: 35,687 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Less famous. She was a top actor, loved her in everything she did.
    Holy Man is a great movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Less famous. She was a top actor, loved her in everything she did.
    Holy Man is a great movie.

Wouldn't have thought of her as lesser known, although haven't seen her in anything for a while. Really beautiful woman and at such a young age too. May she rest in peace.

Not a recent death, but 70s staple Paul Koslo passed away over 18 months ago, never saw it reported anywhere at the time. Very good as mean, snivelly SOBs in such as Vanishing Point and Mr. Majestyk. Good also as a sympathetic doctor in The Omega Man.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0467178/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Charlie Bronson took a dislkin' to him;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTx_jDEnvxs&list=PLgX1qF1wJCYsQ5Bj3DCdjBV3D2SYoXGGP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Actress and singer Annie Ross has died aged 89. Most well known to me as playing Vera Webster (who turned into the cyborg monster yoke) in Superman 3. That creation TERRIFIED me as a child, proper Vietnam flashback style terror. She was also in B movie classics Basket 2 & 3 among others.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,656 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

"John Saxon, 'Enter the Dragon,' 'Nightmare on Elm Street' Actor, Dies at 83" - THR

MV5BZTBlMmU5NDEtM2FiOC00OThlLTgzNjktNDk5ZTM3MDc4ZjNhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQ4ODE4MzQ@._V1_.jpg?w=800&ssl=1

Had a huge list of credits in both TV and film to his name. Picked up a Golden Globe for his role in The Appaloosa (1966), opposite Marlon Brando.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Mr Crispy wrote: »
    "John Saxon, 'Enter the Dragon,' 'Nightmare on Elm Street' Actor, Dies at 83"

Ah shite.

I only just watched Enter the Dragon too. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 85,108 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He is nearly as old as olivia de havilland

104 aged legend has died

RIP

• Advertisement

Tony EH wrote: »
    Ah shite.

I only just watched Enter the Dragon too. :(

Lousy. Purveyor of characters such as Johnny Portugal and Lou Trinidad. Colourful guy.

Advertisement