Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in film

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,266 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

MfMan wrote: »
    George Mikell, Lithuanian-born Aussie actor, played villainous German henchmen a lot; was gone the 90 also;

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0586393/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

the SS officer in the Guns of Navarone

MV5BMzgyMzQ5MzA5MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMDgwNzUxNw@@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1324,1000_AL_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,946 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Ian Holm has died at the age of 88. Great actor in all sorts of different kinds of films. RIP.
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2020/jun/19/ian-holm-a-virtuoso-actor-of-steel-sinew-and-charm-peter-bradshaw-appreciation

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭MfMan

Ian Holm has died at the age of 88. Great actor in all sorts of different kinds of films. RIP.
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2020/jun/19/ian-holm-a-virtuoso-actor-of-steel-sinew-and-charm-peter-bradshaw-appreciation

Shame. One of the best of a generation of many great post-war British actors that were RADA / theatre-trained.

" Ash: You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? The perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.

Lambert: You admire it.

Ash: I admire its purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Parker: Look, I am... I've heard enough of this, and I'm asking you to pull the plug.

Ash: Last word.

Ripley: What?

Ash: I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies. "

• Registered Users Posts: 28,408 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Such a wonderful actor. He had that RADA 'voice' which is so compelling.

I know he is more famous for his supporting roles in Alien, Lord of the Rings etc but the roles that stick with me are some BBC TV movies (The Browning Version, The Last Romantics) or the offbeat Canadian movie The Sweet Hereafter (1997)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

MfMan wrote: »
    Shame. One of the best of a generation of many great post-war British actors that were RADA / theatre-trained.

" Ash: You still don't understand what you're dealing with, do you? The perfect organism. Its structural perfection is matched only by its hostility.

Lambert: You admire it.

Ash: I admire its purity. A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Parker: Look, I am... I've heard enough of this, and I'm asking you to pull the plug.

Ash: Last word.

Ripley: What?

Ash: I can't lie to you about your chances, but... you have my sympathies. "

Agree, but the above is really a tribute to the writers. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭p to the e

I'd say apart from the obvious the first thing I'd think of with Ian Holm is "From Hell". I just looked up his Wikipedia page and didn't realise he played Frodo in a radio adaptation of LOTR in the 70's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

Agree, but the above is really a tribute to the writers. :)
    Here's the scene. Holm's delivery is great!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,373 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

mikhail wrote: »
    Here's the scene. Holm's delivery is great!

The dialogue is great, but Holm's carefully considered and matter of fact delivery makes it chilling.

Arghus wrote: »
    The dialogue is great, but Holm's carefully considered and matter of fact delivery makes it chilling.

That smirk, at the end, though...

Arghus wrote: »
    It draws a line under how inhuman the character is. Plus, the little break from action and suspense has let the audience relax, and now he stabs us in the heart by telling us that everyone is as good as dead. It's great setup for the big push to the end of the movie.

As someone noted above, it's partly the script, but O'Bannon wrote some stinkers in his day. If he wrote something great here, he also got lucky with the performances, editing, music, and all the film-making craft from Scott that keeps everyone on the edge of their seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

mikhail wrote: »
    It draws a line under how inhuman the character is. Plus, the little break from action and suspense has let the audience relax, and now he stabs us in the heart by telling us that everyone is as good as dead. It's great setup for the big push to the end of the movie.

As someone noted above, it's partly the script, but O'Bannon wrote some stinkers in his day. If he wrote something great here, he also got lucky with the performances, editing, music, and all the film-making craft from Scott that keeps everyone on the edge of their seat.

Ash wasn't in any of O'Bannon's drafts. The character was a late addition to Alien, first coming into the script when David Giler and Walter Hill started working on the screenplay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Shame that so many media reports of Holm's death describe him as the guy who played Bilbo in LOTR. He was so much more. Hopefully younger people will check out some of his earlier work. As odyssey said, he was amazing in The Sweet Hereafter, should have won an Oscar for it.

Everyone associated with LOTR will have that, as their lasting tribute. They were just that significant.

It's a silly one but I absolutely loved him in The Fifth Element

Shame that so many media reports of Holm's death describe him as the guy who played Bilbo in LOTR. He was so much more. Hopefully younger people will check out some of his earlier work. As odyssey said, he was amazing in The Sweet Hereafter, should have won an Oscar for it.
    I think some younger people will check out his earlier work precisely because they have heard of him from LotR. It's a positive thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

There's a nice tribute to Ian Holm from Peter Jackson on Facebook, reproduced on /Film if you're not on FB (although you'll miss the photos also posted by Jackson).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

RIP Joel Schumacher
    Director of Batman Films and ‘Lost Boys,’ Dies at 80

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/joel-schumacher-dead-dies-batman-director-1234644961/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,195 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There were very few Joel Schumacher films I liked to be perfectly frank, but respect to someone whose career includes everything from Batman Forever to Veronica Guerin.

And honestly Batman & Robin is the sort of campy catastrophe you’d almost miss in today’s Hollywood. Almost being the key word there, but I saw it twice in the cinema as a ten year old and I have no regrets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Terrible director of some reasonable films!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Lost Boys is a classic and really enjoyed Falling Down, Phone Booth and Flatliners.
    Really hated his Batman movies though. RIP Joel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭fluke

Lost Boys is a classic and really enjoyed Falling Down, Phone Booth and Flatliners.
    Really hated his Batman movies though. RIP Joel

Quite enjoyed 8mm tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,479 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

He gave Colin Farrell his Hollywood career

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

peteeeed wrote: »
    RIP Joel Schumacher
    Director of Batman Films and ‘Lost Boys,’ Dies at 80

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/joel-schumacher-dead-dies-batman-director-1234644961/

Wow. I wouldn't have thought he was that old.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,395 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

There were very few Joel Schumacher films I liked to be perfectly frank, but respect to someone whose career includes everything from Batman Forever to Veronica Guerin.

For Falling Down alone, I'll say I'm a fan.
    Love that film.

I also quite liked Flatliners; not sure how well it's aged but it certainly spooked me as a 12 year old.

Zeek12 wrote: »
    For Falling Down alone, I'll say I'm a fan.
    Love that film.

I also quite liked Flatliners; not sure how well it's aged but it certainly spooked me as a 12 year old.

Falling down is just brilliantly entertaining. Tigerland decent too. Lost Boys is a classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,407 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Steve Bing died aged 55.

A Producer and writer and around Hollywood mogul

I remember his name most from his lawsuit denying he was the father of Liz Hurley's son DNA proved he was.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/steve-bing-dead-philanthropist-film-financier-1202966891/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Joel Schumacher directed at least three very good films: Falling Down, Phone Booth and Veronica Guerin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Steve Bing died aged 55.

A Producer and writer and around Hollywood mogul

I remember his name most from his lawsuit denying he was the father of Liz Hurley's son DNA proved he was.

https://deadline.com/2020/06/steve-bing-dead-philanthropist-film-financier-1202966891/

Just looking at his wiki entry. What a chancer, inherits fortune, finances a few films, sleeps with the famous and desirable, leaves lawsuits in his wake.

Why can't that happen to me? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Joel Schumacher directed at least three very good films: Falling Down, Phone Booth and Veronica Guerin.

And The Client. That's an impressive list.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Just looking at his wiki entry. What a chancer, inherits fortune, finances a few films, sleeps with the famous and desirable, leaves lawsuits in his wake.

Why can't that happen to me? :mad:

Given that he was connected to Epstein and had been on his plane Air F*** one , lets hope they were all adults and was consensual.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Went to see Lost Boys in The Lighthouse a few months back.A great film to watch in the cinema. R.I.P.

Advertisement