Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in film

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

MacNee also played Sir Godfey Tibbitt in A View to a Kill, where he was Roger Moore's sidekick.

Just on The Sea Wolves reference, that movie was one of my favourites Which I was lucky enough to see in the cinema at the time, the cast was fantastic. In addition to MacNee, you had Gregory Peck, David Niven (riffing on their Guns of Navarone roles), Roger Moore, Trevor Howard and many more great British character actors.

I love the fact I saw those iconic actors doing their stuff in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Diana Douglas - wife of Kirk and mother of Michael has died at aged 92 from cancer - RIP

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0235022/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Producer Jerry Weintraub has died at 77. Before getting in to the movie business he was a manager and producer for Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, and more. Major credits on his resumé include the Karate Kid and Ocean's movies, and he was working on the upcoming Tarzan reboot.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Amanda Peterson died earlier this week, aged just 43.

Had such a crush on her back in the late 80s as a result of watching Can't Buy Me Love many times, as did most teen boys.

RIP.

https://twitter.com/PatrickDempsey/status/618562803968770048

43216_article-3151605-2A4ABFC600000578-682_964x396.jpg

1ed3f3619bf789c830f56a395701b-orig.jpg

Alex Rocco who you'd know from so many great films including The Godfather passed away this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

and that means Matt LeBlancs dad has just died! :( Matt really did dislike him!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

Theodore Bikel. Fine, versatile Austrian-born actor. Played the pursuing sherrif in The Defiant Ones, Karpathy, the "hairy hound" in My Fair Lady etc. Accomplished stage actor also, singer, musician and polyglot. Made the good age of 91.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Alex Rocco who you'd know from so many great films including The Godfather passed away this weekend.

He also played Roger Myers Junior in The Simpsons.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,348 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He came here to chew bubblegum and kick ass.... RIP Rowdy Roddy Piper who passed away aged 61.

http://www.tmz.com/2015/07/31/roddy-piper-dead-dies-wwe-wrestler-cancer/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

George Cole.

george-451358.jpg

Loved films of his such as Cottage To Let but without question Too Many Crooks was my favourite.

R.I.P. George.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,348 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Yvonne Craig is is probably best know for playing Batgirl/Barbara Gordon in the 60's tv series passed away aged 78. RIP.
    A trained dancer, she began her career at The Ballet Russe de Monte Carlo and used those skills to perform her own stunts alongside Adam West's Batman.
    Craig also played Martha, the green Orion Slave Girl who wanted to kill Captain Kirk, in the third season of Star Trek.
    And she starred in two movies opposite Elvis Presley - It Happened at the World's Fair and Kissin' Cousins.

http://http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-33985709

Jean Darling, childhood star. Never associated her as being Aunty Poppy who read childrens stories on the old RTE2 on Sunday mornings;

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/sep/08/jean-darling

Jackie Collins has died at 77. Rather famous for being sister to Joan Collins, but she also did some minor acting, and is best known as a novelist with a few film credits such as The Stud and The Bitch (both starring Joan) and The World Is Full of Married Men.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

bnt wrote: »
    Jackie Collins has died at 77.... is best known as a novelist with a few film credits such as... The Bitch
    Before my dad took me to see Space Jam, that was the only film he had seen in cinema. His sister took the whole of their pretty damn puritanical family to it for some reason.

Keep meaning to watch it for that reason alone.

Jackie and Joan were like a cottage industry for a few years - one writes and adapts and other stars. She didn't quite invent the modern bonkbuster but she certainly made them popular in Britain!

John Guillermin (Towering Inferno, Death on the Nile, Blue Max, Bridge at Remargen etc)
    has died at 89

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Very sad news: Chantal Akerman - director of Jeanne Dielman, without question one of the greatest films ever made IMO - has died.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/oct/06/chantal-akerman-pioneering-belgium-film-director-and-theorist-dies-aged-65

Guardian / Observer film critic Philip French has died at 82. (He retired a couple of years ago and was replaced by Mark Kermode.) There's a great piece on his career the The Guardian today - where else? - by fellow critic Peter Bradshaw.

• Advertisement

Excellent reviewer French.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Easily my favourite critic/journalist. Back when he was writing for The Observer I'd read one of his reviews and have to add 5 or 6 films to my 'to watch' list. His reviews were always so dense with knowledge about the influences on the film he was reviewing at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Noriyoshi Ohrai, a fantastic artist who designed many a movie poster, died at aged 79. He did a lot of Star Wars and Godzilla posters which you can see here

I remember seeing these 2 posters when I was a kid and have always been favourites of mine:
    ohrai-artwork16.jpg?fit=700%2C2000
    ohrai-artwork6.jpg?fit=700%2C2000

• Registered Users Posts: 12,320 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

love that Mad Max 2 poster but why did he take the decision to have the action part above his foot and not on the bottom?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

Al Molinaro who played chef Al Devecchio in Happy Days died yesterday at the age of 96.

al-molinaro_640x480_61446277118.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Fred Dalton Thompson has passed away aged 73 - probably best remembered as D.A. Arthur Branch on Law and Order

dx29jXW.jpg?1

I remember when he attempted to run for the office of the President of the United States of 'merka. Given his politics its just as well he ended up back in the telly. Good actor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Marje wrote: »
    Fred Dalton Thompson has passed away aged 73 - probably best remembered as D.A. Arthur Branch on Law and Order

He was in No Way Out,Die Hard 2 and In The Line of Fire as well.

I knew I recognized him from something but couldn't place him so I had to look him up on Wikipedia.

Melissa Mathison writer of ET and ex Mrs Harrison Ford has died - RIP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

The iconic Gunnar Hansen passed away last night.

He was the man behind the mask in the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

3016628-slide-s-7-leatherface-speaks-chainsaw-massacre-star-revisits-sweltering-house-of-horror.jpg

Advertisement