Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in film

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

The iconic Gunnar Hansen passed away last night.

He was the man behind the mask in the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

3016628-slide-s-7-leatherface-speaks-chainsaw-massacre-star-revisits-sweltering-house-of-horror.jpg

I always remember him talking about the Chainsaw sequel (I think on a DVD documentary) where producers didn't want to pay him more than the basic rate because the character had no lines and was just a shape in a mask, yet here we are talking about his death decades on.

http://www.houseofhorrors.com/ghinterview.htm

Why didn't you do Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2?

Gunnar Hansen: I was really interested in being in the film, but they were never serious about negotiating with me for a reasonable price. They offered me union scale and continued to negotiate with me until they could find someone else to play the part. So it wasn't much of a negotiation. They said I agreed to do the part and suddenly became difficult, which is unfortunate, because I never agreed to do the part and consistently told them that they had to offer me more than scale and they never did.

_86575628_hansen_ap.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Colin Welland

British Actor & Screen writer

He won the Academy Award for Best Original Screenplay for his script for Chariots of Fire

• Registered Users Posts: 60,349 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Warren Mitchell passed away aged 89.
    Warren Mitchell, who played Alf Garnett in TV series Till Death Us Do Part and In Sickness and in Health.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-34820371

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,144 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/nov/25/tokyo-storys-setsuko-hara-dies-at-95

Late_Spring_(Banshun)_1949.jpg

Legend is the only word - frankly, it might be an understatement. Although she retired at 42, Setsuko Hara made an incredible mark on the landscape of Japanese cinema during her brief but fruitful career.

I am not exaggerating in the slightest when I say Setsuko Hara is my favourite actress of all time. Her work with Yasujiro Ozu is arguably the single greatest director-actor relationship in the history of cinema. The way their individual talents gelled and complemented each other was never less than incredible and moving. Hara was able to communicate so much joy, sadness, wonder and curiosity without even saying a word: a close-up of Setsuko Hara was one of the great joys of cinema.

RIP Setsuko Hara. She was one of the reasons I have such a profound passion for classic Japanese cinema. Scratch that. She was one of the reasons I have such a profound passion for cinema, full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Her work with Yasujiro Ozu is arguably the single greatest director-actor relationship in the history of cinema. The way their individual talents gelled and complemented each other was never less than incredible and moving.

They really were! I remember being a bit disoriented watching Tokyo Story the first time cos Ozu is so... Ozu. Once she came on screen everything started to piece together. I think I even paused a few times to make sure I wasn't just projecting a ton of **** onto her expressions.
    Since then I've loved every Ozu I've seen but I'm not completely sure I'd've gotten him at all without her, she embodied the kind of intrinsic strong emotional values that he had at the core of his work*.

Ah Christ, I want to watch Tokyo Story now!

*which I assume was why she was so popular as a star of wartime propaganda films too but thank f*ck she got past that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Gabriele Ferzetti passed away yesterday: star of Antonioni's L'Avventura, he played railroad baron Morton in Once Upon a Time in the West, and many more. Here he is with Monica Vitti, getting all windswept and interesting:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Robert Loggia who most will know from Scarface and Big passed away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

A reliable tough guy if there ever was one - with an easy smile that said "you are dead or at least about to have bad day".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

He was in a great episode of Frasier as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

God I feel this one. An total legend. Loved him in so many roles.

A great actor obviously but seemed like a great guy too. RIP.

• Advertisement

Wayne Rogers passed away aged 82.

Probably best rememberd for playing “Trapper” John McIntyre in .M.A.S.H. he was also in Cool Hand Luke.

http://deadline.com/2015/12/m-a-s-h-actor-wayne-rogers-dies-at-82-1201674635/

Natalie Cole passed away aged 65.

She acted mostly on TV series & her songs has been used in film and tv.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music/singer-natalie-cole-dead-65-article-1.2482580

Harry Morgan passed away on December 7 of last year aged 96

He played Colonel Sherman T. Potter in M.A.S.H. and acted in over 100 films.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/08/arts/television/harry-morgan-mash-and-dragnet-actor-dies-at-96.html

He died in 2011.

He died in 2011.

Ok thanks I am way behind.

deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

Vilmos Zsigmond, cinematographer. Distinctive work on the likes of Heaven's Gate, Deliverance, The Deer Hunter etc.

One of my favourite cinematographers from what was possibly the golden age of DPs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Angus Scrimm, the "Tall Man" in the Phantasm franchise has passed away aged 89.

Ravager will be a fitting tribute to him when ever it is released.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Marje

Dan Haggerty, best known for his role in “The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams,” died from cancer early Friday morning in Burbank. He was 74.

The actor’s manager Terry Bomar confirmed the news to Variety.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/grizzly-adams-dead-dan-haggerty-dies-1201680841/

dan-haggerty-dead.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

Brian Bedford. Of Irish extraction. Mostly known for stage work, played Scott in Grand Prix.

Actor Abe Vigoda, best known for his roles as mobster Tessio in “The Godfather” and as Detective Sgt. Fish in TV’s “Barney Miller” and a spinoff series in which he starred, has died. He was 94 and died in New Jersey of natural causes, his daughter, Carol Vigoda Fuchs told the Associated Press.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/abe-vigoda-dead-dies-barney-miller-godfather-1201689081/

latest?cb=20130405200327

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85,295 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Marje wrote: »
    Actor Abe Vigoda, best known for his roles as mobster Tessio in “The Godfather” and as Detective Sgt. Fish in TV’s “Barney Miller” and a spinoff series in which he starred, has died. He was 94 and died in New Jersey of natural causes, his daughter, Carol Vigoda Fuchs told the Associated Press.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/abe-vigoda-dead-dies-barney-miller-godfather-1201689081/

latest?cb=20130405200327

RIP

I remember him from Look Who’s Talking :o

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Jacques Rivette, a key figure of the French New Wave and director of the wonderful Céline and Julie Go Boating, has passed away at the age of 87.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,144 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Rivette was one of cinema's true greats. Love the level of playfulness in his work - he's the perfect counter-argument to claims the New Wave was dry or too academic.

No better motivation to start digging into the first few hours of Out 1 this weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

There's an out 1 screening happening near me soon, I don't know if I want to go, but I can't not go.

Who from the French new wave is still about now? Just godard and varda?

Frank Finlay has died today -

frank-finlay-5-sized.jpg

he split his career between the big and small screens with a lot of cinema works in the 70s and early 80s thereafter his main roles were on tv. Casanova, Bouquet of Barbed Wire, The Four Musketeers, The Wild Geese, Murder by Decree, Lifeforce, Common As Muck, The Sins and loads more.

Had Irish connections also I think? Nice touch as the confused father in The Pianist.

Daniel Gerson (age 49) who co-wrote screenplay for Monsters Inc has died.

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

George Gaynes, best known for his role as the hapless Commandant Lassard in the Police Academy franchise has died aged 98.

George Gaynes, best known for his role as the hapless Commandant Lassard in the Police Academy franchise has died aged 98.

He was brilliant in Tootsie.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,063 ✭✭✭✭beertons

He was hilarious. Good age.

Advertisement