Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RIP thread for people involved in film

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

Angus Lennie - ill-fated Corporal Ives in The Great Escape

• Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭rednik

Geoffrey Holder RIP, great as the Baron in Live and Let Die the first Bond I saw in the cinema.

E248980AE15C4D54B055D27849A33515-0000362898-0003678697-00618L-44E86967604849FDAE6E24C955E6501C.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 85,058 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Elizabeth Peña (La Bamba, Lone Star, Jacob's Ladder and Rush Hour) has died - RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 13,379 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Elizabeth Peña (La Bamba, Lone Star, Jacob's Ladder and Rush Hour) has died - RIP

Very sad to read this.
    I recall she was fantastic in Lone Star.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

Definitely had a bit of a crush on her in Batteries Not Included when I was very young. If I ever discover I've some kind of fetish for pregnant women, I'll put it down to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Some "less famous people involved in film" who passed away in the last 10 days...

Anna Nakagawa, 49, Japanese actress (A Sign Days), uterine cancer.
    Sumi Haru, 75, American actress (MASH).
    Marie Dubois, 77, French actress, multiple sclerosis.
    Gabrielle Reidy, 54, Irish actress (Girl with a Pearl Earring), cancer.
    Deborah Warren, 55, Argentine actress, cancer.
    Alain Siritzky, 72, French film producer (Emmanuelle film series)
    Walter Bockmayer, 66, German writer and film director, lung cancer.
    Federico Boido, 75, Italian actor and stuntman.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,292 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Irish-Canadian actor Gerard Parkes died aged 90.
    Gerard Parkes was the sole-human star on Jim Henson’s much loved live-action puppet show Fraggle Rock during the 1980s.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/irishcanadian-actor-gerard-parkes-of-fraggle-rock-fame-dies-aged-90-30680716.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Been heavily reported that Judd Nelson was found dead in his apartment in the last 24 hours.

His most famous role is the tough guy in The Beeakfast Club.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Been heavily reported that Judd Nelson was found dead in his apartment in the last 24 hours.

His most famous role is the tough guy in The Beeakfast Club.
    Apparently a hoax: http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/gossip/la-et-mg-judd-nelson-not-dead-20141026-story.html
    That article has a picture of him with today's paper just to prove it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,124 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Marcia Strassman, the mother in Honey I Shrunk the Kids/Blew Up the Kid, has died aged 66. She also played Julie Kotter in Welcome Back, Kotter.

• Advertisement

Carol Ann Susi who was the voice of Debbie Wolowitz from The Big Bang Theory died aged 62.

http://comicbook.com/2014/11/12/carol-ann-susi-who-played-mrs-wolowitz-on-the-big-bang-theory-ha/

Definitely had a bit of a crush on her in Batteries Not Included when I was very young. If I ever discover I've some kind of fetish for pregnant women, I'll put it down to that.

Voiced Mirage in Incredibles too?? What a voice

Warren Clarke, known for his role in TV drama Dalziel And Pascoe, has died at the age of 67.
    The actor, who also appeared in films such as Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange, is said to have died after a "short illness".

RIP

Glen A. Larson, Iconic TV Creator Of Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Magnum P.I. Died At 77.

RIP.
    http://deadline.com/2014/11/glen-a-larson-iconic-tv-creator-of-knight-rider-magnum-p-i-dies-at-77-1201285337/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭brian_t

Ken Takakura the Japanese actor has died aged 83.

He starred in Too Late the Hero, Black Rain and Mr. Baseball.

Here with Robert Mitchum in The Yakuza (1974)

vlcsnap-9280052.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I don't know whether director Mike Nichols can be classed as "less famous": he died today at the age of 83. He might not be a household name but he was nominated for multiple Oscars for films such as Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf[/I,] The Remains of the Day, Silkwood, Working Girl, and won for The Graduate.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

One of my favourite directors. RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

bnt wrote: »
    I don't know whether director Mike Nichols can be classed as "less famous": he died today at the age of 83. He might not be a household name but he was nominated for multiple Oscars for films such as Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf[/I,] The Remains of the Day, Silkwood, Working Girl, and won for The Graduate.

Nichols didn't direct Remains of the Day - that was James Ivory of course. While he sounds like an American his real name was Mikhail Igor Peschkowsky and was German born of Russian Jewish heritage. Of course back in the 50s when he started working in the industry such names were risky.

He worked quite a bit with Meryl Streep

RIP

He was partner of Diane Sawyer too

Nichols didn't direct Remains of the Day - that was James Ivory of course.
    That's what I get for rushing a post on the way out the door to work ... he also made quite a few adaptations of books, including Catch-22, Postcards from the Edge (the Carrie Fisher autobiography), Primary Colors and Charlie Wilson's War.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,149 ✭✭✭rednik

Billie Whitelaw passed away yesterday at the age of 82. She had many great roles but for me one will always stick out, Mrs Baylock. RIP

33C343170A6B4BD980CA824E6BED4922-0000362898-0003707107-00600L-3449C0B17C4F43E3A1A87063BCE0C5FA.jpg

Joseph Sargent has died at 89: he made a lot of TV, receiving an Emmy for Kojak, but to film buffs he's best known as the director of White Lightning (Burt Reynolds versus moonshiners) and The Taking of Pelham One Two Three, which was remade a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

I love The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three. It's one of my favourite films. Sad to hear the man that superbly directed it has passed on. RIP.

Note that he also made Jaws: The Revenge and Goldengirl, so ... hardly a spotless record, then! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 936 ✭✭✭JaseBelleVie

Note that he also made Jaws: The Revenge and Goldengirl, so ... hardly a spotless record, then! :o

True. But even the Mona Lisa is falling apart. :P

My point being: nobody or nothing is perfect. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Just doing one of my unhappier year end rituals http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-30500702.

Quite shocked by some of these that I had missed at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

JaseHeath wrote: »
    I love The Taking Of Pelham One Two Three. It's one of my favourite films. Sad to hear the man that superbly directed it has passed on. RIP.

One of the best films of the 70s, and Sargent also directed Colossus: The Forbin Project, the prototypical (and one of the best) 'computer AI takes over the world' movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

Luise Rainer, German-born actress, double-Oscar winner in the 30s; a staggering 104 years old, real legend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Christine Cavanaugh, voice of Babe, Dexter from Dexter's Labrotory, Chuckie from Rugrats, has died at age 51.

Well, there's goes another one from my childhood this year. Loved watching Dexter's Lab growing up.

Advertisement