Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is your gas bill every two mths in winter?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Our "winter" has been going on for seven months now. Think we should have drilled our own gas field to keep this house warm.

I'm bottling my farts in future. Sick of paying those little b@stards in Norway all of my going out money just to survive the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Just under 300 quid (3 bedrooms, 2 adults, 1 kid, two cats)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Florintina wrote: »
    I am with artricity all electric. last bill few days ago was 150 euro and i have a boiler in apartment and electric rads to . This is the highest its ever been and i am guessing from using the rads to much as its freezing these days. its a student apartment me and my partner staying in as we are students 2 bedrooms. Is this good anyone know or should i switch to different company?

You should invest in heatlamps at that rate. Grow your own marjewlama plants. They're great for what ails ye. Might make a few bobs on the side too. Them students can't get enough of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

and I thought my oil was dear, holy gackamole batman, ye are getting ripped off

Not a gas shower then.

No, but my apartment has a pump shower run off a combination gas boiler.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ABlur

€40 tops, mid terrace house let the neighbours heat us! We use a stove if its really cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

It's currently running about 200 every two months and that's on LOW!!! An hour in the morning & 4/5 hours in the evening, 4 bed semi and extra insulated a couple of years ago, heating + water only although don't really use the hot water

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭angeline

My last one was €380, semi detached house. Gas heating but gas fire too which I would think is eating the gas....

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Kichote

The odd 11.34kg cylinder of butane

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Sounds about right - for a 2 bed apartment our last 2 bills were 270EUR and 206EUR - both bills for 2 months and meter readings. The heating and hot water runs off the gas.

It's not cheap but just one of those things! We're already on the cheapest plan we can be so I just try and limit how much the heating is on (I'm home all day). After rent, it's easily our biggest expense. I bet given the fact the winter is just dragging on the gas man is laughing all the way to the bank!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

semi

*snigger*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

€240-260 were the highest bills. 2100sq foot detached 4 bed. Timber frame though so supposed to be super warm. bloody draughty though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

our last bill was 415 but I think there may have been arrears on it.

We got one this morning for..... wait for it.... 580 euro :eek:

3 bed semi, fairly old house, sitting room has one small radiator at one end of room , room is constantly cold.
    Don't use gas for cooking etc.
    5 of us in house, 2 adults and 3 young children.
    Missus is at home all week so the heat would be on a fair bit.
    I think it is timed to come on around 5am till 7
    Then 10 till 12
    Maybe boosted for an hour in the afternoon
    and then its on from 5.30pm till around 9.30
    I think also we have had a fair few estimated bills as no one seems to be at home when meter needs reading.
    I think its time for a pay as you go meter...

I just stumbled across this thread, and now I'm convinced something is not right at the house I've just shifted in to a month ago.

At our old semi detached 3 bedroom, a bad bill would be over €300. This is with 2 kids under 2 in the house, so heating would be off and on during the day. We also had gas cooking at this house.

I just received our first bill at our new house (slightly bigger 4 bed semi-detached, only approx 10 years old). €150 for 2 weeks, yes 2 weeks. That would go well over €600 for 2 months. I know it has been cold, but I wouldn't say we're using the heating any more than we were at the old house. Both readings were accurate readings as well, one when we shifted in and another meter reading taken when someone came to the house.

To say I'm freaking out about my first full bill is an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

wow you guys spend alot on gas!!

2 bed appartment and we spend about £20 a month MAX. this is a big enough appt., one wall is just glass windows aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭cscook

€188 for the Nov/Dec bill, which I thought was high
    €135 for the Jan/Feb one.
    Not looking forward to the next one - we've had the heat on more than normal in the last two weeks.
    3 bedroom, 2 living room bungalow.
    Gas for heat only - but we normally only have it on twice a day and supplement with an oil-filled radiator as necessary.

could i ask what peoples habits are with regard to setting timers etc.
    Do most of you put the heat on for an hour at a time etc or a few hours?
    Just curious to see if I can get my bills down.
    Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭cscook

sham69 wrote: »
    Cheers.

Comes on about an hour before we get up, on for 1 1/2 hours.
    About the same in the afternoon - on from about 4 - 5.30.
    Happy to override it and turn it off early if the temperature gets above 20.
    As in my previous post, we tend to supplement it with an oil-filled rad - but this last week we've had the gas on 3 times a day.
    I'd love a more modern timer that could be set for more than twice a day!! Then I'd be more inclined to go for several half-hour bursts keeping a more constant temp. We did this years back when we were looking after a friend's house. I think it's probably more efficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

€160-€170 2months ,gas cook / elec oven , 4 bed detached U.F.H

Cheers.

In the winter it would be on a lot, 4 or 5 hours in the evening and then in the morning for a while. Also with people in the house working different hours it can be on for a hour when other people are getting up too. I also turn it on sometimes during the day to dry clothes on the radiators.

Cut down a bit in spring and then barely on at all in the summer, maybe go a week without ever turning it on.

• Advertisement

Cheers.

We stopped ours coming on in the morning to save money (we shower at night, in general so it was getting wasted as we were in bed anyway and didn't use the hot water). It's on from 5.40 - 8ish in the evening and I allow myself to put it on for two hours during the day when I'm at home to get things done.

It really is just so expensive! A friend of mine had a baby and her last bill was almost 400EUR as you have to keep the house warm for newborns. I'm due a baby in June and I'm grateful it's a summer baby when it comes to heating - won't need to be on nearly as much!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Chain_reaction

98 euro.

4 bed semi detached with four people living here, two of which work from home. Gas heating only.

A lot of people here need to start puting on jumpers and stop switching on the heating.

Although I did live in one house where the gas bill usually was 425euro every two months, since then I only live in houses with electric showers and people who wear warm clothes.

Cheers all for the replies.
    I turned off two radiators that we don't really use, conservatory and dining room.
    I changed the timers just for an hour in the morning 7-8am and then 9pm till 11pm.
    If we need it in between we will give it a boost for an hour here and there.
    I was thinking of investing in one of those oil filled radiators but am nervous that they will eat the electricity.
    The other thing we are thinking about is the level pay thingy where you pay the same every month.
    Hopefully this cold weather ends soon before I am bankrupt.
    Thanks again
    Sham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Went down dramatically since getting a pot bellied stove in Oct.

47€ gets me two bags of coal, two bales of briquettes, two bags of logs and two bags of tufr.

Keeps the whole house toasty for three weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Just under 200 for the two winter months and other that that its less that a 100 one of the summer bill was for something like 32 euro we hardly use it in the summer, first off get an electric shower it will save you a huge amount, we are with Flo gas who were the cheapest two years ago...we have a 3 bed detached bungalow, we put the heat on for an hour in the morning and two hours in the evening and use the boost button if we need it during the day it is set to come on for half an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Cheers all for the replies.
    I turned off two radiators that we don't really use, conservatory and dining room.
    I changed the timers just for an hour in the morning 7-8am and then 9pm till 11pm.
    If we need it in between we will give it a boost for an hour here and there.
    I was thinking of investing in one of those oil filled radiators but am nervous that they will eat the electricity.
    The other thing we are thinking about is the level pay thingy where you pay the same every month.
    Hopefully this cold weather ends soon before I am bankrupt.
    Thanks again
    Sham.

If i can give you some advice, get some foil backed dry wall, 6-8mm and put it behind the rads, foild facing out from the wall. this wil reflect the heat into the room more and will keep the rad from soaking heat into the wall that it is fixed to, a good deal of heat is lost this way and if you have a poorly insulated wall it makes it worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Gweedling

Do any of you guys use the prepaid bord gais thing? The missus and I bought a house just over a month ago, 4 bed detatched, can't remember square footage but it's a bit larger than average (yes thinly veiled etc etc etc), electric oven, gas hob, heating & water, we've been averaging €50 a week so far on the prepaid card. Is this normal versus ordinary gas bills? We both work, she leaves at 6am, I have the timer to turn on just before 5, then off again at about 5.45, then another between 6.30-7.30 when I get up and leave, we'd then have it on from 6pm-11/12pm ish, just the heating. Hot water is on from 6-8pm. First week cost us €70 as we went nuts with the heating, last €50 we put on the card got us about 10 days worth.

Airtricity are advertising like madman that they're the cheapest around, but I've heard bad things about them on here. any reccomendations for an electric/gas package with electric Ireland or Calor or somesuch?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

our last bill was 415 but I think there may have been arrears on it.

We got one this morning for..... wait for it.... 580 euro :eek:

3 bed semi, fairly old house, sitting room has one small radiator at one end of room , room is constantly cold.
    Don't use gas for cooking etc.
    5 of us in house, 2 adults and 3 young children.
    Missus is at home all week so the heat would be on a fair bit.
    I think it is timed to come on around 5am till 7
    Then 10 till 12
    Maybe boosted for an hour in the afternoon
    and then its on from 5.30pm till around 9.30
    I think also we have had a fair few estimated bills as no one seems to be at home when meter needs reading.
    I think its time for a pay as you go meter...

That is mental. Sounds like you should be investing in some insulation, never mind anything else.

My boiler went a month ago and I haven't been able to replace it since (long story as to why), so no heating throughout the most baltic period in frickin years. But I still haven't died. I've just worn an awful lot of clothes. Maybe you should implement a more jumpers rule? Unless you're made of money of course.

You can ring your meter reading in over the phone as well, maybe you'll be lucky and they'll actually owe you money? My last bill was overestimated by 75 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I got my bill yesterday. 230.00 :eek: That is high for us. Granted the gas has been on more than usual but not all the time so I checked out the meter to see the reading and they are spot on. I owe it. :(

• Advertisement

Gweedling wrote: »
    Do any of you guys use the prepaid bord gais thing? The missus and I bought a house just over a month ago, 4 bed detatched, can't remember square footage but it's a bit larger than average (yes thinly veiled etc etc etc), electric oven, gas hob, heating & water, we've been averaging €50 a week so far on the prepaid card. Is this normal versus ordinary gas bills? We both work, she leaves at 6am, I have the timer to turn on just before 5, then off again at about 5.45, then another between 6.30-7.30 when I get up and leave, we'd then have it on from 6pm-11/12pm ish, just the heating. Hot water is on from 6-8pm. First week cost us €70 as we went nuts with the heating, last €50 we put on the card got us about 10 days worth.

Airtricity are advertising like madman that they're the cheapest around, but I've heard bad things about them on here. any reccomendations for an electric/gas package with electric Ireland or Calor or somesuch?

Have you checked www.uswitch.ie? It will tell you what the cheapest package for you would be. I checked recently and was thinking I'd save loads but we're already on the cheapest package for us!

Advertisement