Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much is your gas bill every two mths in winter?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

That is mental. Sounds like you should be investing in some insulation, never mind anything else.

My boiler went a month ago and I haven't been able to replace it since (long story as to why), so no heating throughout the most baltic period in frickin years. But I still haven't died. I've just worn an awful lot of clothes. Maybe you should implement a more jumpers rule? Unless you're made of money of course.

You can ring your meter reading in over the phone as well, maybe you'll be lucky and they'll actually owe you money? My last bill was overestimated by 75 euro.

It was 620 but when we gave them the reading they said it was only 580.
    We had a guy from Electric Ireland with us 2 weeks ago.
    We decided to switch with them, filled out all the forms etc.
    Said he could give us 12% discount, 6 on gas , 6 on Elec.

Was expecting the bill from bord gais to be last one so didnt keep any money to pay it this month (stupidly) and pumped everything into the esb account (thinking we had switched already)
    Rang Bord gais, nothing said to them.

Rang the ESB, guy who was with us forgot to put the paperwork through.
    We now need to wait until BG update the reading online before we can switch to Electric Ireland.
    What a mess.

Anyway it doesnt really have any bearing on the gas usage, that is our own fault.

I work 9-5 mon-fri and am never really cold to be honest.
    Its the missus and kids at home that are using the gas.
    I have taken a few measures already to try to improve things.

Buying an oil filled rad for sitting room, have turned off rads that we don't use, have eased off on the amount of hours we put the gas on for and finally have bought some radiator reflective stuff for the back of the rads as suggested here.

Hopefully that will help, can't continue to pay these massive bills.
    Paid 150 off the bill using my credit card just to get them off my back till the end of next month.

Oh and insulation isn't really an option as it is a rented house and we have already spent a fortune getting it the way we want it (Landlord will end up with a palace at our expense :)

Thanks all for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

No, but my apartment has a pump shower run off a combination gas boiler.

I was going to make a hilarious quip involving Hitler, but now you've made me seem a fool. A FOOL.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 357 ✭✭ballygowan1

The gas suppliers were ordered by the department to increase prices. What a country we live it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

bill came last week for the last 2 months at 54 euro something cent

3 bed apartment with 2 living in it, but really only me as the other lads never here

gas covers the hot water and heating... well im pretty sure it covers the hot water. it makes noises whenever I run the hot tap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

LPG heater, last two winters cost less than $AU $0.00 per year.

Used to heat lounge, dining and kitchen area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

The gas suppliers were ordered by the department to increase prices. What a country we live it.

It's all a cartel. In other countries, rival gas companies compete on offering the lowest price to the customer. In Ireland, they form a cartel, and all keep the price as high as possible, blaming energy costs etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

And they say government has no influence on inflation. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

old_aussie wrote: »
    LPG heater, last two winters cost less than $AU $0.00 per year.

Used to heat lounge, dining and kitchen area.
    So it's free?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭anitaca

5 bed detached.

€800 for oil every 2 months. Heats the radiators and hot water.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

6 Bed end of Terrace, 2500 sq/ft, 12ft ceilings in most of the house, 8 adults, Gas - CH, 1 of Showers, Hot Water, 7 Hob Gas Cooker(ovens and grill are electric) cooking for 8 every day. Attic insulated with about 400mm

€250 odd every two months most of the year. Last bill Dec/Jan was €518. Due to super long cold Winter this year, expect a second bill at that level whereas generally its only 1 bill at that level in a given Winter. That said, because of the mild Winter last year there was no bill at that high level last year so it balances out over the two years if you get me.

God bless the 2ft thick Victorian Walls and Southern aspect to the long side of the house and Western Aspect of the Front which means 16 of our 17 Double glazed Sash Windows and Velux are catching the Sun so massive solar gain. The only house on the road that is flooded with light. No rads have foil backing but its on my todo list but all have TRV valves. Timer 2 hours in the Mornings and 2 in the afternoon and then 6-10pm in the evenings. Only on the coldest days do we need to switch it to all day, (ie. This week and parts of December 2010)

Thought we weren't doing that great with that high bill but after reading everyone elses for 3-4 bed semi's I'm thinking we are actually doing pretty darn well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,805 ✭✭✭Calibos

Lol, guess what dropped through the letterbox this morning? Latest Gas bill. I was right. Very close to the last one. €491.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bored.ie.ie

Hi Guys,

I just got my gas bill which was added up based on my last meter reading and this months meter reading, 742 units used which is coming in after VAT etc at 560 Euro, I live in a one bed flat and have the heating on only for a few hours a day. Sometimes at the weekend more, the only thing that works off of the GAS is heating & Water.

Last bill was 410 units and was 350 Euro - this was over Christmas when I had the heating on nearly all the time.

Im desperate for some help as I have no idea why it would jump so much when I am using it the same if not less??

HELP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,433 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Hi Guys,

I just got my gas bill which was added up based on my last meter reading and this months meter reading, 742 units used which is coming in after VAT etc at 560 Euro, I live in a one bed flat and have the heating on only for a few hours a day. Sometimes at the weekend more, the only thing that works off of the GAS is heating & Water.

Last bill was 410 units and was 350 Euro - this was over Christmas when I had the heating on nearly all the time.

Im desperate for some help as I have no idea why it would jump so much when I am using it the same if not less??

HELP!!
    I tried to reply to the other thread but it was closed just as I posted.

Actually, not sure how likely this is but I wonder is your meter in cubic feet and you're being charged in cubic metres? Your bill should be off by a factor of 35 as a result and I suspect this would be too big a difference to account for what you're seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭Hoop66

3 bed semi - use gas for heating, water and hob. Oven is electric.

Last bill Nov-Jan was for 187.83

• Registered Users Posts: 48 bored.ie.ie

I have no idea to be honest - Its always seemed about right before so I am just completely bemused as to why its doubled now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

2 bed ground floor apt was €170. I was happy considering the heating was on a hullofa lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

From 1 November to 19 January I paid €149 for almost 3 months. We use the gas for heating and water but not for cooking and also have a solar panel although it's not much use in winter.

2 bed bungalow but it's a new build and insulated to within an inch of it's life.

Our last bill (3 bed terrace) was 108 that was from mid-november to mid january. It was an estimate and was about twice our actual usage so looking forward to a very small bill for mid Jan to mid march to compensate (less than 40 euro hopefully).

We always get a wildly overestimated bill at christmas as there is nobody in the house for the two weeks as we all go home to our home places and the heat is not used at all. In general heating is not used much as neither me nor my house mates are around that often and even when we are we often make do without the heat. Think we only spent around 200 euro on gas all last year.

We have a electric shower so dont bother using the gas to heat the water which also saves a good bit of money as during the summer the gas might not be turned on at all for a few months and only pay the standing charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

€60-70

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Stribach

€262 for a 4 bed and we cook on gas average €150-€200 per bill,best thing we did was insulate the external walls internally when we moved in as house was built in 70s and I reckon it does keep the bills down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

No idea, I pay €20 a week & I'm always in credit :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Whatever the standing charge is - I never actually burn any gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭collie0708

Just paid €412 for December and January ����������

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

€0.

No gas. Except what escapes my posterior. And mouth. :o

I miss having a gas hob. :(

Whatever the standing charge is - I never actually burn any gas.

Is there any kind of low usage charge like there is for the lecky?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Have storage heating. Atrocious costs so I turned it off and bought a Superser. Now it's probably just 30 quid every two months to refill the cylinder.

Have storage heating. Atrocious costs so I turned it off and bought a Superser. Now it's probably just 30 quid every two months to refill the cylinder.

Yeah, I don't touch the storage heating in our one bed. We got a fan heater instead. Bill from mid-Nov to mid-Jan was €152, and we run everything in our apartment off the electricity. Not bad at all. Expecting the mid-Jan to mid-March bill to be a bit higher as it's been cold but not much because our place is well insulated and we benefit from being a third floor apartment hence catching the heat from the apartments below us.

For comparison, our bill in out last apartment for Nov to Jan was €360!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Nash Bridges

Biggest winter bill is usually around €400 for gas for 2 months space heating and hot water. During the summer it is typically €60 for hot water only.

I have got to reiterate what was mentioned on the previous page by MurdyWurdy, go to www.uswitch.ie to see if you can save with a better tariff. That is the easiest way to save energy costs without getting out of you chair. I switched today, is predicted to save €150 for the next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Stojkovic

Received bill today - € 545 incl vat

Advertisement