Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic match recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Thekidneybean

Anyone think that Ireland Vs. France 2009 was a good one? one the best games iv ever seen IMO and defiantly the best game i was at. Sorry very slow computer at home so can't post a link but a classic game for me no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

twinytwo wrote: »
    I find that funny, england could have had the best team in the world and we would have still blown them off the pitch that day. It was the passion and commitment that was never going to allow us to lose.

Shame we weren't playing the All Blacks. I wonder if we could convince the NZ government to come and colonise the country for 800 years so we could create the passion to beat them once in a while too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

twinytwo wrote: »
    I find that funny, england could have had the best team in the world and we would have still blown them off the pitch that day. It was the passion and commitment that was never going to allow us to lose.

Ah it was a fantastic occasion but let's keep things in perspective, this was the England XV that day:

Morgan; Lewsey, Tindall, Farrell, Strettle; Wilkinson, Ellis; Freshwater, Chuter, Vickery, Deacon, Grewcock, Worsley, Lund, Corry

That was an awful, awful team coming up against possibly the best Ireland XV that has ever played together.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Swiwi, what classic super rugby games would you recommend? Doesn't need to be on YouTube! More recent the better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Swiwi, what classic super rugby games would you recommend? Doesn't need to be on YouTube! More recent the better

I'll probably get a few sniggers, but the SXV is relatively homogenous and with a lot of matches each season, so that it's a bit hard to remember individual games.

Here are a couple of good games

Sharks v Crusaders from Twickenham 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvrnGU3Dyj8&list=PL996C293304360923

Blues v Chiefs 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxUfwtslryQ

I can't find it on youtube, but the Blues v Crusaders final 2003 was great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

The Crusaders game in Twickenham is a great game in terms of watching a team loving to play running rugby. They literally put rings around Sharks, and the set plays were a piece of magic. It was a great advertisement for S15, and really lived up the running rugby stereotypes... Was a bit one sided tho.

.ak wrote: »
    The Crusaders game in Twickenham is a great game in terms of watching a team loving to play running rugby. They literally put rings around Sharks, and the set plays were a piece of magic. It was a great advertisement for S15, and really lived up the running rugby stereotypes... Was a bit one sided tho.

Yeah, there are probably more HEC games that remain as "classics" for the fans. I really enjoyed the Crusaders final wins in 98/99/00, but I don't know if they would be classics for outsiders looking in.

The best final is probably the Blues v Crusaders in '03, or the Reds v Crusaders in '11, both of which my side lost.

Some of the games right at the start of the competition back in the mid-90s were great, but you can't really find them on youtube.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭captbarnacles

Thanks for Lions game, watched it last night. So good I had to go watch the first test again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFxBeQzRZ2o

Was a great game too notwithstanding the scrum disaster.

Lions had great chances but some of SA's defence was outstanding especially the two cover tackles on Monye :/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,796 ✭✭✭✭phog

I don't know if this is up on YouTube but the 2004 H/cup semifinal in Lansdowne Rd between Munster & Wasps was one of the best I've been at, I couldn't believe the 80mins was gone when the ref blew it up, the game seemed to be non stop and Munster just ran out of steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Munster - Leinster H Cup semi-final 06, just about has it all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭ConFurioso

Just looking at that Toulouse - Leinster game from 2006......Honestly it's like looking at a different sport sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭PJ Maybe

I've been looking for that. I didn't see the whole game at the time and have never managed to see it since.

It was a great match, atmosphere in the stadium was brilliant. Will have a link for you this evening.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Binge101 wrote: »

Some beautiful rugby in this game. Shane Williams was phenomenal.

Just a question - at 59.00 in the video NZ are pulled for wasting too much time throwing in the lineout and possession is given to Wales. What exactly is the sanction here? The Welsh 4 throws the ball to the SH (I thought it was a quick line-out first) who then moves to position, passes to the FH who boots it out for a line-out to NZ. The camera cuts away before the SH's pass so I'm not sure if he taps it or not, but if it was a penalty it makes no sense that Jones didn't take it and kick to touch for a Welsh lineout. It's not a free kick as he doesn't kick it... ???

PJ Maybe wrote: »
    It was a great match, atmosphere in the stadium was brilliant. Will have a link for you this evening.

Here you go:

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Another quick one from the Leinster toulouse game. On 62 minutes Sexton kicks straight to touch from just inside his own 22 and the lineout is brought back to where he kicked it from. Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Another quick one from the Leinster toulouse game. On 62 minutes Sexton kicks straight to touch from just inside his own 22 and the lineout is brought back to where he kicked it from. Why is that?

How did he receive the ball? Was it passed to him from a player who received it outside the 22? If so it would be deemed to be carried back inside. You can only kick it out on the full from within your 22 so long as the play started there, i.e; you fielded a garryowen, or turned the ball over within the 22 etc., etc.

Hines passes the ball back to Sexton who is inside the 22. Just before he kicks it you can hear Pearson say "Taken In". Sexton can't kick it directly into touch because it was brought in to the 22 by Leinster (Hines).

The actual Law is 19.1 (b) and that link has a couple of videos showing similar instances. They have a nice graphic showing it too:

no-gain-in-ground-en.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Incredible. So free flowing and entertaining. One of the best Baa-Baa's sides in terms of the people playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

Incredible. So free flowing and entertaining. One of the best Baa-Baa's sides in terms of the people playing.

Aww..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

lurtz wrote: »
    Aww..

:O..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Munster v Wasps in the Heineken was a great match too even if the result was painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Wales v Ireland from 1977 on BBC 2 Wales

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

If anyone has a few hours to spare, the Lions documentary from 2009 is well worth a watch, even just for the few minutes Rala gets airtime :D

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Chabals Beard

If anyone has a few hours to spare, the Lions documentary from 2009 is well worth a watch, even just for the few minutes Rala gets airtime :D

Is she on the interwebs??

• Registered Users Posts: 32 korec

This was a great match well worth the watch, Kevin Maggs score at 12 mins on the video was a thing of particular beauty.

Also notable as it was Richie McCaws debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

korec wrote: »

This was a great match well worth the watch, Kevin Maggs score at 14 mins on the video was a thing of particular beauty.

Saw that recently, great stuff from Shaggy, BOD electric too

This was a great match well worth the watch, Kevin Maggs score at 14 mins on the video was a thing of particular beauty.

From memory, Ireland got off to a flyer and were leading at half-time? But a great second 40 from NZ saw them home. As you say, it was the start of McCaw's international career...picked from the NZ equivalent of the Rabo straight into the starting XV. Bet Josh Kronfeld regretted saying "You might as well just give All Black jerseys to everybody. The fact they picked guys off one NPC season is bloody incredible".

Edit: just had a squiz now, and from an AB point of view, I never fail to be impressed by Howlett's work rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Anymore links to the Leinster v Northampton match? The video in the 2nd post has been taken down, cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

This was a great match well worth the watch, Kevin Maggs score at 12 mins on the video was a thing of particular beauty.

Christ I miss Landsdowne Road.

Munster vs Toulouse, first time I remembered being bate after a game from just watching it.

The Bulls try just gets better and better every time too.

Advertisement