Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic match recommendations

Options
  • 25-03-2013 5:01pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Can someone recommend some matches worth watching in their entirety and which are available on YouTube? Heineken Cup or international, from any era.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

The full Northampton v Leinster final is online. I always watch the final 40 when I need a boost...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

Barbarians v All Blacks from 1973

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Nice one, gonna watch that after training! Absolutely epic game.

• Advertisement

Kearney was so good, hope he regains that form

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭twinytwo

trouttrout wrote: »

Has to be one of the best matches ever played.. Had everything. Lions were left with a makeshift team at the end, still should have won

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

How Schalk Burger wasn't sent off in that match is still a mystery

How Schalk Burger wasn't sent off in that match is still a mystery

Complete cop out from both ref and linesman. Lions would have won that and then maybe the series if the correct decision had been made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

My favourite is the Wales-Fiji game from the 2007 WC, its on youtube but in 8 seperate parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

france v NZ WC 1999 - best game I ever saw -

Guscotts drop goal in second lions test in '97 was pretty special, and I have a hazy memory of an amazing scott Gibbs hit , think in same match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Leinster - Toulouse in 2011 is probably one of the highest quality HEC games ever, well worth a look.

That 2nd test from 2009 is considered one of the best ever.

France/NZ from 1999 for unbelievable drama. Even if you can't understand a word the French commentary in the 2nd half is hilarious.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Watched that the other day and thoroughly enjoyed it. Kearney was immense at that stage.

danthefan wrote: »
    Leinster - Toulouse in 2011 is probably one of the highest quality HEC games ever, well worth a look.

I've been looking for that. I didn't see the whole game at the time and have never managed to see it since.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

twinytwo wrote: »
    Has to be one of the best matches ever played.. Had everything. Lions were left with a makeshift team at the end, still should have won

Simon Shaw is just stupidly good in that game.

Complete cop out from both ref and linesman. Lions would have won that and then maybe the series if the correct decision had been made

"At least a yellow card"...complete cop out. Though how any ref can hear fingers in the eye and not give a red is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭lurtz

the 1995 schools cup final between rock and cwc was put up on facebook recently,not sure if its on youtube

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Binge101

shuffol wrote: »
    My favourite is the Wales-Fiji game from the 2007 WC, its on youtube but in 8 seperate parts.
    Just watched this now.What a fantastic match!
    Any super 15 games I should watch?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Probably my favourite Irish game of all time...I still well up at the anthems...

Full match:

• Advertisement

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Probably my favourite Irish game of all time...I still well up at the anthems...

An absolutely stellar match, but I must admit that I particularly love the above video partly due to my man-crush on Brian Moore. He perfectly understands the importance and relevance of the occasion (which Eddie Butler doesn't) without being patronising (unlike Inverdale was). He then goes on to dismiss the notion that passion and commitment are enough to win a game, which is something Irish people cling to far too much.

It helped that we delivered a proper shellacking to England afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

I guess as a Crusaders fan the three-peat victory over the Brumbies in 2000 was good (don't think it's the best SXV game though, but I can't find a lot else on youtube of the older games, other than brief highlights).

Edit: a 19 year old George Smith scores a try off the bench for the Brumbies. Wind the clock forward 13 years, and he's been talked about as making a dramatic comeback to the Wallabies for the upcoming Lions tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Swiwi

Pickarooney, this is one of the greatest 3N games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

OK this is totally my Leinster bias coming out but there is some absoutely top-notch rugby on show in this match, it's definitely the game I've watched most often. Drico, Felipe and Hickie tearing Toulouse to shreds in their own backyard, wonderful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭twinytwo

Podge_irl wrote: »
    An absolutely stellar match, but I must admit that I particularly love the above video partly due to my man-crush on Brian Moore. He perfectly understands the importance and relevance of the occasion (which Eddie Butler doesn't) without being patronising (unlike Inverdale was). He then goes on to dismiss the notion that passion and commitment are enough to win a game, which is something Irish people cling to far too much.

It helped that we delivered a proper shellacking to England afterwards.

I find that funny, england could have had the best team in the world and we would have still blown them off the pitch that day. It was the passion and commitment that was never going to allow us to lose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭opinionatedfan

I find that funny, england could have had the best team in the world and we would have still blown them off the pitch that day. It was the passion and commitment that was never going to allow us to lose.

that was a once off thing. Consistently playing with that level of passion and commitment is impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

For any of the non-Irish here, if you haven't seen the Leinster v Munster game in Croke Park 2009 it's defo worth a watch. Even for people who aren't aware of the history between the two teams it's hugely tense and some great displays of skill throughout the game.

OK this is totally my Leinster bias coming out but there is some absoutely top-notch rugby on show in this match, it's definitely the game I've watched most often. Drico, Felipe and Hickie tearing Toulouse to shreds in their own backyard, wonderful stuff.

Gleeson was immense in that game. Every openide we've had since seems like a lumbering oaf compared to his speed to the floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Swiwi wrote: »
    Pickarooney, this is one of the greatest 3N games

That was the year I got Sky and therefore that was the first Tri Nations match I ever watched. Incredible stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

He said it wasn't enough. He didn't say it wasn't a factor. Passion and commitment aren't going to win you the game if you don't have the skill and talent. We had both on the day.
    Gleeson was immense in that game. Every openide we've had since seems like a lumbering oaf compared to his speed to the floor.

He really, really was. I watched the game back again there last year and was in awe of him all over again. Every aspiring openside should be made to sit down and study him in that game.

Advertisement