Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion,superstition and spirituality

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Pointless speculation. Neither of us know what she thinks she has to offer. Speculating until it is presented is pointless.

There either is substantiation for her claim, or there is not. Simple as that. If there is then I am all ears.

Well if you're all ears maybe being all eyes is easier if you're reading :P

So there's no balance as far as your concerned,that's ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Geomy wrote: »
    Well if you're all ears maybe being all eyes is easier if you're reading :P

So there's no balance as far as your concerned,that's ok

That's not what nozzferrahhtoo said.

If Mary has evidence for a god I'd like to hear it, but I won't hold my breath. Many moons ago I asked Philo for manifest evidence of his god and he scarpered on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭HHobo

No. We are all soulless, empty bags of mostly water. Devoid of all feelings, sensitivities, ethics and morals.
    Flee before you become infected!

Some of the most sensitive,loving and caring people I know are atheists..[/QUOTE]

Do those atheists understand sarcasm? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

If Mary has evidence for a god I'd like to hear it, but I won't hold my breath. Many moons ago I asked Philo for manifest evidence of his god and he scarpered on me.
    He's closed his account, by the by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

The word 'spiritual' means absolutely nothing anyway. Nothing. If I say "I'm a spiritual person" what exactly am I saying other than spouting meaningless, hopelessly undefined gibberish?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

lazygal wrote: »
    Indeed he did, and let's not speak ill of the "closed" ones. It's bad luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭HHobo

A shame really. It is always nice to have an example of blind fanaticism close at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Well if you're all ears maybe being all eyes is easier if you're reading

Empty word play from you here. You know damn well what the phrase "all ears" means. Pretending not to makes you look bad, not me. Then again since you did not know what "will never" means either, perhaps English is not your first language.

The poster in question either has evidence for their position, or not. They can substantiate their claims, or not.

If they can then I await that... I am not going to sit around with you pointlessly speculating on what their evidence might or might not be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

maryrourke wrote: »
    Perhaps the reason why a lot don't believe in some kind of intelligent creator is because "it has been said a thousand times". Conditioning/brainwashing comes to mind.

Conditioning/brainwashing should come to mind in every religious debate but from the opposite side to which you're thinking. Schools generally speaking indoctrinate kids into a particular religion - not out of one!
    Kiwi in IE wrote: »
    I find it very difficult to understand how people who are highly intelligent can take these stories at face value and how political systems of developed countries can remain influenced by them.

The real mystery is how they can see through other religions bullshít but are somehow blind to their own.

Case A: There's this bloke who has an elephants head and loads of arms?

Sounds ridiculous, i don't think so, do you think i'm a fool or what?

Case B: There's this other bloke who is his own da, his ma is a virgin who was married to some other bloke. he got his own mother pregnant in a non adulterous, non incesty way, (well his da did but they're the same bloke, there's another him too kinda like casper the friendly ghost but that's another story) Now he done this so that he could save us all by having himself killed to prove a point, to himself eh i mean his da, who is also himself and the casper fella.

Yup, sounds legit i'll have what he's having. He's having his own blood? Oh go on then, make mine a double!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I'd be hoping Philologos went off to reflect on all those thorny questions he failed to answer over the last year or two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

You see what might be evidence for Mary wouldn't be evident to you :)
    How can you be introduced to something you don't identify with or any interest in the subject :S

This is just red herring for We-still-don't-have-any-evidence.

You will find that when people actually do have evidence for something they present it, they don't go on about how someone's experience/identify/worldview etc doesn't allow them to "see" the evidence that they see.

Doing that is the tactics of frauds and charlatan.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    I'd be hoping Philologos went off to reflect on all those thorny questions he failed to answer over the last year or two.

Reflecting them was pretty much all he DID do. Perhaps he went off to let someone of them actually sink in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

I can see where Mary is coming from but you cant...

How can you be introduced to something you don't identify with or any interest in the subject :S

Well, for me, I always thought it was self indulgent twaddle until I actually sat down and listened. I had a closed mind to it but...

Ever since then, I've loved jazz.

Ye all have valid points and sorry my written word isn't up to scratch.

I think this is the only forum that has grammar police :P

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Sarky wrote: »
    Everyone has.

But everyone's brains are notorious for attaching stupid explanations to glitches in their perceptions. This is known, it has been researched a great deal, and it explains more or less everything about "spiritual" experiences. People have triggered a spiritual experience in others just by applying the right kinds of magnetic fields to the brain, and they have written papers about it. Zombrex has gone into some detail about that in the past.

There just isn't anywhere for magic left to hide. A beautiful sunset has no magic whatsoever to it. It can still be magical. Stop clinging to the idea that there has to be something more if you want to enjoy life.

Reminds me of hearing archaeologist Peter Woodman talking about why he prefers to focus on the Neolithic period rather than say Medieval/Modern. The reason: Historians with their blasted documents.

Archaeologists are fond of ascribing 'ritual' (in a religious sense) as an explanation for artifacts - according to Woodman this invariably leads to situations where some bloody historian says 'nope, that's the toilet. See, I happen to have a copy of the plans here that I found in the British Museum in additional MS Cotton collection and you can clearly see that section is marked 'garderobe'. :D'

Never happens with the Neolithic...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

:eek:

Has he?

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

now now, there's evidence in the bible, being that bible says its true so it must be true, its plain as day people!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Objective evidence is fact, subjective evidence is opinion.

krudler wrote: »
    now now, there's evidence in the bible, being that bible says its true so it must be true, its plain as day people!

Oh well then....carry on ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

krudler, the phrase you're looking for is "self-evident". It lets you win all arguments.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 maryrourke

Hello again,

I am a little confused here. What is the main question. I mean I am not a religious person. I am not a superstitious person. Spirituality? Not sure what that means. I don't like using the word God at all---caus it has a religious smack. Though I do believe in/have a sense of (not all the time) of a good energy that seems to want things to be ok.

That is a little bit on me---maybe I am deluded or something. So also maybe I can find if this is true by engaging in talking about stuff. So what is the main point/question here. I am not an intellectual but I like to open up--take that chance ---question my beliefs/brainwashing---and hopefully evolve to a better understanding of some kind of better truth. Jeesh I already sound confused---but this is the way I learn best.

I just joined this site and I threw a needle and it landed in this particular haystack. So what is the main search/question?

The word 'spiritual' means absolutely nothing anyway. Nothing. If I say "I'm a spiritual person" what exactly am I saying other than spouting meaningless, hopelessly undefined gibberish?

[Are you serious ?
    You haven't a clue have you :S

Spirituality can be defined in a lot of ways...

I know one guy and he makes musical instruments he doesn't believe in God but spirituality to him is carving wood...

Spirituality to another could be a walk by the sea :)

You have a long way to go from Galapagos to Darwinism

Many spiritual people don't believe in God]

[Are you serious ?
    You haven't a clue have you :S

I know one guy and he makes musical instruments he doesn't believe in God but spirituality to him is carving wood...

Spirituality to another could be a walk by the sea :)

You have a long way to go from Galapagos to Darwinism

Many spiritual people don't believe in God]

So by your own definition then, spirituality is undefined gibberish.

So what is the main search/question?

You mean question to you? Or on this forum? Or on this thread? Or anywhere in the world? Not sure what you are asking here. However you did say:
    I can't see how anyone can not believe in some sort of God or energy when there is so much evidence in and around us. I am new here.

and perhaps my response to you was too long and complicated. So I will simplify it for you to: "Evidence? What Evidence?".

I am not sure how to simplify it any more than that, so I hope I have done enough.

You mean question to you? Or on this forum? Or on this thread? Or anywhere in the world? Not sure what you are asking here. However you did say:

and perhaps my response to you was too long and complicated. So I will simplify it for you to: "Evidence? What Evidence?".

I am not sure how to simplify it any more than that, so I hope I have done enough.

What evidence are you looking for ?

When you look out twoards the Arran Islands what do you see ?

What do you want to see ?

Seagulls,sea spray an offshore breeze combined with a westerly swell of 14 feet creating an epic scene of sweet surf....

Whatever evidence the claimant feels backs up their claim. It is up for the claimant to provide what they think their substantiation is. Not me. I have no idea what the evidence for such a preposterous and baseless set of claims is. She will have to tell me, not the other way around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

This is precisely why it's a useless word.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

When you look out twoards the Arran Islands what do you see ?

What do you want to see ?

Seagulls,sea spray an offshore breeze combined with a westerly swell of 14 feet creating an epic scene of sweet surf....

What the actual fúck does any of that mean?

If i look out to the Arran Islands - i see the Arran Islands (well usually not, i mostly see rain and mist). If i look at a cat, i see a cat. If i look at a tree, i see a tree. I could go on but i'm sure you get my point. All any of this proves is that my eyes are working!

• Advertisement

So by your own definition then, spirituality is undefined gibberish.

Yeah exactly I know it sounds like gibberish but sure a heavy metal fan might think listening to chamber music on Lyric Fm is Gibberish or 80's pop music is gibberish :)

I listen to both but if I go around telling people that their beliefs are gibberish I might sound like a strident Dick :)

I can see how some people don't believe in Religion Spirituality and Superstition I'm ok with that....

I like mindfulness spirituality and mysticism,and I enjoy talking to people about it....

Maybe I would be better off not engaging in discussion here and stick to my surfing gardening and fishing etc

Advertisement