Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

Shane last week :- “We’ve been under some stick and taken some flack, because there’s a narrative that’s been created against us which isn’t true.”

“There are certain fighters that have left and have achieved f*** all, and they’ve got more than enough talent.”

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

In fairness to Taylor, the Prograis win was a tremendous win and one of the better in the sport over the last 5 years or so. Likes of Baranchyk and Ramirez are no mugs either. Solid wins. He's had it much tougher unifying that division than Crawford did for example.

Do think it's clear he struggles with that counter punching style of a Lopez or a Catterall who are just too cute for him. Really bring out the crudeness in Taylor's attacks. Taylor at his best in a toe to toe dog fight and he hasn't been able to get those in his last two.

Can't see him having much joy at welterweight tbh. Loses too many of his physical advantages.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,030 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The Prograis fight was tremendous, but Prograis isn’t some killer/elite. He’s good.

Taylor has unified a very weak division in my view.

Put it this way, had Amir Khan (good, but not near great) been in it, Taylor never unifies. Khan would beat him comfortably I reckon; not to mention the likes a Danny Garcia and Lucas and Maidana.

Taylor used his WW/JMW frame to swarm and bully on offense against clearly smaller men, who were not skilled enough to deter him. Taylor is not a great boxer. When his physical presence isn’t working, he’s very ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Do Sky/Boxxer really have any future in boxing with some of the dire stuff they are putting on? Fraser Clarke vs. Mariusz Wach headliner on Friday.

Sky have a future in boxing wether Ben shalom is part of that I’m not so sure, he was unheard of as a promoter really before the sky deal and even Sam jones was more of a face. Boxxer seem to be just pumping money into poor fighters like okolie and they wanted him to be the face of boxing on sky fmd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Boxing on Sky is so poor. I cant stand him, but there was a period of time before the PPV boom where Saturday night boxing on Sky was excellent. He promoted fighters in their home towns and created massive atmospheres at most shows.

I wonder if he regrets at all the path he took.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭megadodge

Nice to see an intelligent post on the subject of Taylor - for a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭bono_v

Aaron mckenna fight was an enjoyable watch. He dug deep and got through it and he's still only 23!!!

Yes. Full of action. Both took an awful lot. But McKenna clear winner

Ramla Ali lost as a 1/20 favourite. Wiped out with a left hook to the jaw. Aaron Aponte lost as a 1/18 favourite. Both on the DAZN card.

Tszyu knocked out Ocampo within a round. Ocamp looks horrible. How did Fundora go the distance with him? Aleem-Goodman was a good competitive fight on the Tszyu undercard.

Prograis looked bad vs. Zorilla. Zorilla fought very negatively. Prograis lucky not to get a knock down called against him in round 1.

Post edited by Robert Nairac on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Edwards is now signed to fight Bam Rodriguez. I expect Rodriguez will beat him fairly handily.

Jason Quigley getting another big fight in the US vs. Berlanga this weekend on DAZN.

He’s a huge underdog. Quigley has nice fundamentals and a lovely style, but he has no real pro resiliency. He’s going nowhere

Mid rds at most. The show is set up for Berlanga to impress; which might get him big Canelo payday

Quigley went the distance. I didn't watch the whole thing, just skimmed it. Appeared that two of the knockdowns called against him were a bit unfair. One was a clear slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Decent showing from Quigley to be fair. His movement gave Berlanga some issues at times. Found the commentary odd though. The DAZN lads would have you think Quigley was boxing his ears off at times which wasn't really the case to my eyes. Berlanga always winning. Competitive fight but result never felt in doubt.

Agreed. And like lot Irish fighters, lacking real power to keep the opponent at bay and honest.

• Advertisement

Not the Charlo brother I thought, it's the 154lb one.

Canelo continually refuses to fight Benavidez

Anybody else watching the Savannah Marshall fight?

It's very bad. The most impressive thing so far is her opponent singing her own national anthem.

She’s fairly poor alright

Jeffers had a good win earlier on the same card

Clarissa shields spent the entire fight screaming advice

how did someone score that 95-95 ffs

That Sky card was dire. I understand they want to push womens sport and that, but there needs to be some level of quality control.

the card was likely planned with eubank and smith as the headline event

whittaker was entertaining and i know the man he was fighting, looks like they fed him to the wolves

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Butson

I know Boxxer are a new outfit and it takes time to build a stable, but Jesus the fight cards are desperate.

• Advertisement

Ortiz vs. Stanionis this weekend on DAZN. Should be an entertaining fight.

Edit: Fight is off.

Post edited by Robert Nairac on

Advertisement