Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Ah bollocks. Thought 4 o clock was a solid enough bet.

• GOATachenko via decision.

• LET'SSSSSSSS GET READY TO RUMBLE!

• Loma showing the old dog is alive and well. Great first round.

• Lomachenko's footwork is obscene.

I don't even care about the fists.

• Advertisement

• Haney needs a KO to 'End the hype of Loma' and protect is vow to 'never lose to a white boy'.

• Disgraceful result.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Robert Nairac

Haney won. He built up a big lead from the first half of the fight.

• Bollocks he did. Loma with the much cleaner work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,030 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Very close fight. I thought Haney showed an awful lot in the fight. Really wanted Loma win, but I can’t argue that much with result. Plenty rds could be scored either way.

an observation that I think was reflective in the scoring: Loma had plenty moments of controlling the fight, but Haney had more fluid/consistent/prolonged control.

Atlas is a dose. Constantly on calling corruption for anything that he doesn’t agree with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭megadodge

Excellent technical fight. I really enjoyed the skill levels on display and would absolutly love to see a rematch.

As for the scoring it was a very close fight. Many rounds difficult to score.

I'm a Lomachenko fan, but early on I wasn't too confident. The size and strength and very good bodywork by Haney were the dominant features, but as the rounds went by Loma got better and better and it got closer and closer. It was noticeable to me that Haney was getting more and more worried-looking in the corner the longer the fight went on. He knew this was getting more and more difficult and Loma had 'figured him out'.

In my book, if Loma won the last round he would definitely have won the fight, but Haney won the 12th. That made it either way or a draw.

Either way, it was some perfomance from a 35 year old.

Rd 11 was odd one. Loma really turned the screw and looked well on top, and then for last minute he faded badly (either very tired) or deciding to save energy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,975 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Yes, Loma faded badly from the middle of the 11th, however I can't see how any judge would fail to give him the 9th and 10th.

I thought it was close but that Loma nicked it, I wouldn't argue with a draw.

Was very competitively fought, but for me, Haney’s work little more consistent and impacting. No issue 7-5 or 8-4. Fair few close close rds. Haney also did a lot of very good body work, and this is looked at and rewarded by judges.

Any cries of robbery is just another example of idiots not having a clue how fights can be scored. Had Moretti scored rd 10 for Loma, all three had it 115-113. Judging worked!!!

I’ll rewatch rds 9 and 10. All judges scored rd 9 for Haney. 2 scored rd 10 for Loma.

Ok: rd 9 for me was fairly clear for Haney. Landed more, and controlled more. Very difficult to score that to Loma. All judges correctly scored to Haney

rd 10 closer, but Haney I felt was better. Landed harder shots and was the aggressor.

Teddy Atlas talking absolute rubbish asking for Moretti to be asked by the commission to explain rd 10.

Post edited by walshb on

• I had half an eye on the fight earlier as I was travelling.

I just watched it back and I cannot score it for Haney nevermind a UD. Lomachenko boxed the ears off him.

Lomachenko cut the ring off brilliantly.

While I think Loma won (just) Haney was landing plenty all fight, especially body shots, It was very back and forth and neither fighter really dominated any rounds until about the 10th on.

A massive over-stretch this. It was very very competive. Neither man “boxed the ears” off the other.

If you missed it, the Jaunto Nakatani KO win over Andrew Moloney was stunning.

• Advertisement

Loma on now saying he decided to take Rd 12 off because he felt he had it won. Utter nonsense. And if that’s the attitude, he deserved the L.

Loma also whinged a lot when he clearly lost to Teo. Making out he won.

I really rooted for him last night, but the sour grapes is tiring.

• It was certainly more competitive on second, proper, viewing and I was less insulted by the result (aside from Moretti which was a disgrace whatever way we spin it) but Lomachenko was superior for me.

I wouldn't pencil it in as a "robbery" but looking at the scorecards I can understand why people are using the word.

It was certainly no GGG vs. Canelo I in terms of actual robberies.

This is just it with people and boxing. Bandy about the word robbery and back it up with nothing. Insanely competive fight.

Folks calling it a robbery and have nothing to back it up with. What rounds were scored a robbery to make the fight result a robbery?

simple: people watch a very closely fought fight and see a card a “little” wide and they lose their Sh1t. It’s beyond stupid.

last night 3 pro judges nearly all had it identical with 115/113. Had Moretti scored rd 10 (which was no way clear for Loma. It was a very close rd) then all spot on. That’s a working system.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,853 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Lomachenko shaded it for me in a close fight. Cries of a robbery way off the mark but I am gutted for Loma.

Shakur is the class of the division though and beats the current version of both.

Not sure on Shakur/Haney. Shakur has beaten nobody, is shorter than Haney, less length, no way a puncher and more a methodical pot-shotter. I think him and Haney very close, and no way a surprise that Haney beats him. Loma would be a really difficult task for Shakur.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Butson

Brilliant fight with Loma and Haney. One for the purists.

Come out of it with even more admiration for Loma. 35 years of age, he never stood a chance on the cards against Haney.

They had the weigh in earlier than usual for a Vegas fight too, all to let Haney time to fully rehydrate and come in way bigger than Loma.

I see that Loma's management had tried to have Carl Moretti (judge who gave round 10 to Haney) removed as a judge before the fight as they knew he couldn't be relied upon, crooked as fook.

When Tank Davis knocked down Garcia a few weeks back, he gave that round a 10-10.

Comical.

Serious clash of boxing this weekend …

Wood-Lara DAZN

Lopez-Conlan BT

Okolie-Billam Smith Sky!!!

some night

Great stuff. There’ll be some serious flicking of channels between rounds.

The Conlan fight will start Early so that we get to watch the other fights. Lovely Stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,774 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I’m going to miss them all away camping! Predictions?

I’m surprised Okolie is taking that fight in the Vitality. Groves has been talking up CBS but I think if he manages not to get stopped he’s doing well. If it does go the distance he has a better chance. Be interesting to see if he is strong enough to get close work done. At range it’s easy for Okolie. I’ll go for Okolie KO about 6.

Lopez with a late stoppage. Sorry.

Lara to eat Wood with an early ko

I hope to be well wrong on all three but that’s what I’ve got.

Advertisement