Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Fights **Mod note: Keep discussion to fight night threads**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,539 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The whole thing stinks

Hearn & Co knew about this at least two wees ago, The story only broke yesterday because the Daily Mail printed it,

Nothing was oging to be said otherwise

Makes you think is this why Eubank Snr was saying last week everyone should boycott the fight as it was dangerous , everyone just assumed he was on about the weight, Eubank Jr yesterday wouldn't comment on if this means he can rehydrate properly which probably means he can & that why he has ok the fight,

Also they held off so there isn't time to test the B sample before the fight , They should have tested that the second they found out,

BBBofc only notice one drug testing company & that is UKAD but why sign up to VADA if our going it ignore it,

To say the levels don't matter is silly ,Use common sense he is hardly going to chance using a minimal amount of the drug for no existent gains is he, he obviously using masking agents & at the end of the cycle hence why its only show up a tiny bit or is micro dosing

Either way the chap has cheated to again advantage

Hearn on video recently claiming even if is someone caught by VADA they should be banned

The Whyte one stunk too again it was know well before the fight & not said till the day off so the B sample could not be tested till after the fight , The B sample was positive & somehow they came to the ruling that it was not Whyte fault it was in his system , Let not forget the had previously banned & had the same excuse ,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Is it safe for a boxer to fight somebody who has failed a test.

How could boxers say that they have taken medical advice that this fight is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,676 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Impossible to answer.....

So much to consider......the findings here could have been intentional or unintentional use of the substance.

The amounts could have been next to nothing, and not at all measurable in terms of "performance"...loads to consider

It's a very complex and convoluted area the whole area of drugs and peds in sport. Not every person who tests for substances deliberately ingested, and not every person who testes for substances gained any physical advantages. It's too difficult to answer for this particular instance.

For 2 years ,He pissed hot after his fight with Sandor Balogh for MHA & remember he said it was from Jack 3D ,

He got a 2 year ban

• Advertisement

Okey doke......yes, no issue there......

but you do hear these calls for lifetime bans for anyone ever testing positive....Frampton and Conlon both on saying this....Every case needs to be treated individually. Not every fail/circumstance/person is the same, and hence, the punishments cannot all be the same.

I'd be of the opinion if your got twice you should be done for life,

Yes....

Me, I am quite gray on it....a lot to consider....very very difficult to make sure you are always clean.....even with the best intentions, and a genuine honesty, mistakes can happen.

Fury: I am on record as saying that I believe that he likely did not deliberately set out to ingest the banned substance in his system. I cannot prove this, but it's just a feeling on Fury.

Benn: Similar feeling. I don't think he deliberately set out to cheat here. Nor do I think he has gained any measurable advantage.

There are persons who fail who are deliberate cheats trying to cheat. And there are some who were very unlucky, and made a mistake, and whereby no real advantage occurred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Ceepo

But is it really that convoluted?

I do agree that some can inadvertently take some supplements etc that may contain some PEDs, but ignorance is no defence. That is what WADA and NGB have a educational program's. It's up to the person to know what they're taking. If someone does their due diligence and the supplement is contaminated they will have to show proof of that. "test the product" batch number etc. This is why they are entitled to a hearing to defend themselves (and rightly so) If they can do that, Then they usually get a reduced suspension or a slap on the wrist.

I've done the durg awareness course. At the end of the day it's simply. If in any doubt leave it out.

The whole 'B sample not being tested is a bit of a smoke screen in this case tbh. An positive A sample is enough for a suspension, if its uncontested by the defending part, otherwise they can look to have the' B sample tested as is their right. It would be very rare if ever that the B sample showed a different result.

WADA doesn't have to prove that the defendent gained any advantage from taking peds. The just have to prove that they had taken them in the first place.

And while it's difficult to answer the safety questions, because it's unknown what the risk to both boxers are. Surely there is a fairness question. Is it right that BBBc should allow a fight to go ahead with knowledge that one of the boxers has a doping case to answer.

Surely they would lose all credibility if the allow the fight to go ahead.

And if Vada are an accredited testing authority then the UKAD v VADA argument doesn't stand up

Ben has 100% cheated on purpose,

He has a women's fertility drug , , it was only found in small traces because he was at the end of cycle or taking a masking agent or probably both, Its a drug that has been found in many athletes cheating , Remember Usan Bolt was striped of his Relay gold medal from Beijing because his team mate had this drug in his system , Then in 2016 another Jamaican Sprinter later Jason Livermore got done for it, Add to this numerous NFL players over the years ,

You trying to tell me these lads are taking it for no gains ,the trace they found give them no advantage but that's because its been cycled & masked & they have without question already gained the benefit of taking the drug ,

Strange its all sports that explosiveness is key ,

• Advertisement

I don’t disagree with pretty much all that..

but the post I replied to was relating to whether or not Benn gained an advantage. Impossible to answer.

Well, he’ll have his chance to explain his side. Chance to explain how this substance could have been found in his system. Let’s at least allow him have his say before 100 percent claiming that he deliberately cheated here.

He won't though will he, he won't ever explain where it came form ,

See this is where people don't understand drugs & also don't get how easy it is to get off

He will do what Whyte done claim he has no idea how it got there

Now this is the kicker because its only been found in small traces that trace is the case not more not less but that trace they found ,

So the medical experts says well that trace that was found could not NOT give him any advantage ,But the trace is just the end of your cycle you have masked, & there is no way to prove where it came from, This is why micro dosing has began the thing to do , Basically your cheating they know your cheating but as long as you play dumb they can't do you ,

Hence why there statement said they had to call it off in the interest of boxing, ( they know he has been cheating)

Its like back in the day in UFC you could get medical exemption to do TRT ,but as a male in his 20's/30s the only reason you'd need TRT is because you have abused steroid in the past & your body no longer makes its own test ,If it was because you naturally didn't produce test you'd have had no hope of becoming a top level athlete at all to begin with ,

So technically your not breaking the rule but in reality your a cheating f*CK ,

Anyone interested in drugs in sports & what not go listen to Derrek on his YouTube page More plater More dates ,

He's very good at breaking down athletes & what he believes they are on & explain what they have been caught for,

He is a juice head himself & owns his own hormone replacement clinics ,

He might not be always 100% accurate but gives you a good insight into what is going on

Any update? Seems to be still on DAZN site for buying

Anyway, I won't be paying, so don't care now if it goes ahead

Wouldn't be surprised if it's nothing more than a glorified choreographed spar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

This is spot on. With this particular drug, it makes no difference whether large doses are found or small traces. Its a masking agent, and amount will depend on timing of the cycle.

Benn will no doubt play dumb, he will bank on people not educating themselves on what the drug actually is. Its not something from a "tarnished supplement", its a very specific drug for a very specific purpose and quite frankly i'm sick of these cheats treating sport fans as idiots and trying to brazen it out.

UKAD is not fit for purpose, and Hearn is an absolute cretin for still trying to cash in. Eubank Snr is the one with an ounce of dignity not wanting anything to do with the fight. Eubank Jr probably feels he can win the fight anyway regardless, but these cheats should be banned and shamed, especially in a sport like boxing.

The fact is was not disclosed publicly until yesterday despite the failed test occurring back in August should be investigated. Really is a wild west of a sport it really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Oh he 100% cheated and knowingly done so ,

Its the drug of choice for this sort of thing, not just some random drug ,

The daily mail leaked it yesterday morning without that they would not have opened there mouth

I don't think he has a therapeutic exemption, so is there any way he can argue/claim that this substance entered his body without his knowledge/consent? I am not an expert, but it is a man-made drug, yes, so no chance he can claim that maybe his body naturally produced it?

What about contaminated products, foods, drinks and all that......?

BTW, these are just curious questions....wondering where he can go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Butson

If you check out the boxing reddit page, there are loads of amateurs / semi pros on there explaining how this all works. It's a masking agent, he knew exactly what he was doing and was so sloppy getting caught. They are all at it.

Glad the fight is off and fair play to the BBCoC. You can imagine the pressure from Hearn, Dazn, the o2.....also today they have blocked the Daniel Dubois vs Lucas Browne fight as Browne has no business in a ring with Dubois.

The governence of the sport actually comes out of this with a bit of credit for once.

Hearn is some lowlife.

• Advertisement

Its not in food or anything like that,

His only option would be if his missus said its hers and he took by accident but even then he has a responsibility to know what he has put in his body ,

He will do what they all do & say he didn't cheat & has no idea where it came from , Technically he can't be banned so i reckon the new Year he will be back ,

Hearn no different to any them. Reminds me of football crowd /managers: Back their own no matter what, and cry foul of not their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

"Technically he can't be banned"

Genuine question. Why can't he?

Because the BBBof C only answer to UKAD, They only acknowledge UKAD he was clean with them ,

VADA is voluntary testing & nothing to do with the BBBofc , VADA have no power to ban him just literally report the findings , the fight was not under WBO,WBC,WBA or whatever so there is no one who can ban him

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Danye

I don’t doubt he knew what he was doing but why sign up for VADA?? It’s voluntary?

Thanks for the clarification

I was under the impression that the "voluntary" bit was it was voluntary to sign up to be tested.

So the vada testing is for optics only, and he still gets caught.

What a sh*t show

VADA is the gold standard of boxing testing , it stand for Voluntary anti doping agency .

Its designed especially for boxing ,UKAD is all brithis sport so a badminton player gets the same test as a boxer,

You have to pay good money to get it done , Id imagine it was put in the contract by one of the side's so the other gets cuagfht if they use drugs, It'll be interesting to hear who wanted it done ,

VADA is recognised in the states by the governing bodies just not by the BBBofC ,

So if you piss hot for VADA under WBC,WBO,IBF sanctioned fights they will ban you going off the VADA findings,

Remember back in January was removed form the WBC rankings because he refused to sign up to VADA testing,

• Advertisement

If Vada is the gold standard testing for boxing, is there a particular reason BBBc has signed up along with UKAD.

Advertisement