Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain America Sequel The Winter Soldier

Options

Comments

nix wrote: »
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3480822/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

Announced apparently?

Solid Snake to direct?

:eek:

I wouldn't have much hope of that panning out. A David Hayter Black Widow film has been in various forms of production for a decade or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Drats!

Id like to see David Hayter rise to the occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I presume there's a reason there aren't many action films with female leads (excluding ones that are awful).

It'd be interesting if they had the balls to make one that wasn't terrible.
    The safest bet would be to go light on the explosions and heavy on the spy/intrigue side of things. Those parts worked well in Captain America and have been the more interesting elements of Agents of Shield.

It's probably something super hero films have to do in general. People really love seeing cities get trashed and people beating the **** out of one another but diversifying a bit couldn't hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

where is everyone getting the 30% from, it was only 2 million out of 7 billion

also why
    do they insist with the stupid helicarriers, easiest thing in the world to destroy seemingly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Saw it lastnight, must say it's probably become my new favourite Marvel movie

Good story, solid action sequences with some great fight scenes (the first with cap/winter soldier was brilliant)

Is it just me, or was it noticeably more violent than previous marvel films? I know it was still pg-13, it just felt a bit less kid-friendly with the
    non-ambiguous shootout scenes, point blank head shots, graphic arm break, WS throwing someone into a jet engine :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

maximoose wrote: »
    Is it just me, or was it noticeably more violent than previous marvel films?

Yes, especially at the start. It was probably even more violent that it looked to me, since a combination of 3D and extreme shakycam meant I couldn't follow some fight scenes, but frex Cap nailing that guy's hand to a wall with a throwing kniife was more graphic than the run of Marvel movies.

It's also a good trick, when the wall is a steel plate.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Yes, especially at the start. It was probably even more violent that it looked to me, since a combination of 3D and extreme shakycam meant I couldn't follow some fight scenes, but frex Cap nailing that guy's hand to a wall with a throwing kniife was more graphic than the run of Marvel movies.

It's also a good trick, when the wall is a steel plate.

One of the main criticisms of Captain America has been how ordinary he is. People left the The First Avenger thinking that he was just a human with a great work out regime and an impressive ability to throw a Frisbee like a boomerang.

With that criticism in mind, I think it's clear why TWS is more violent, and why Cap doesn't use guns. By making Captain use only his physical ability, by making every punch and kick bone-crunching, they emphasise how super-human he is. Of course, if they make him more "violent", then they have to make his enemies both more violent and merciless, otherwise they'd just come across as fodder for Cap.

Still not sure how it got that rating though, they do seem to push the boundary a good bit.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,181 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Saw it Friday night and thought it was great too. Thought Thor 2 was pretty mediocre and when I saw they had goten TV directors for this again I was beginning to think Marvel were starting to move away from giving any freedom to their directors at all. Glad to see I was wrong and this film is probably up there with Avengers as the best of the bunch.

The action was very well shot, the story kept me guessing and the chemistry between all the leads was great too. I thought the first Cap film had a brilliant first hour but suffered by having to rush the final act to tie in with Avengers, in this case the film stands very much on its own. Cap get's some real bad ass moments too,
    loved the build up in the elevator.

I liked the scene with
    Agent Carter
    though I felt it would have been better in the Avengers. My main criticism of the thing is they probably should have fleshed out the Cap/Winter Soldier stuff a bit more as WS felt a bit under used, though the scenes we do get are probably the best in the film.

I really like Evans in the role, it would be very easy for CA to be a completely dull character, as let's face it he is by far the most unappealing Avenger, but in both this and Avengers (and even the first CA film) they've managed to make him as compelling as any of the other characters if not more so. Just goes to show you can have a heroic, earnest, goody two shoes character and still make him interesting in the right hands without having to make him into a conflicted tortured angsty type. Something Zack Snyder & co could do with taking on board when portraying the other big blue boyscout.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I know some people might have said this already but the films action scenes had real "weight" to them...

For instance, when cap was running through the hall chasing TWS and went through the walls, it looked...heavy or something. Was an excellent film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Best of the Marvel movies imho.Action sequences and general interplay between all the characters was great. used real world politics in a clever way. Also the winter soldier is one of the coolest looking villains in a long while. Really great movie.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I liked the scene with
    Agent Carter
    though I felt it would have been better in the Avengers. My main criticism of the thing is they probably should have fleshed out the Cap/Winter Soldier stuff a bit more as WS felt a bit under used, though the scenes we do get are probably the best in the film.

Reckon Cap3 will be heavy on this side of things.
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    I really like Evans in the role, it would be very easy for CA to be a completely dull character, as let's face it he is by far the most unappealing Avenger, but in both this and Avengers (and even the first CA film) they've managed to make him as compelling as any of the other characters if not more so. Just goes to show you can have a heroic, earnest, goody two shoes character and still make him interesting in the right hands without having to make him into a conflicted tortured angsty type. Something Zack Snyder & co could do with taking on board when portraying the other big blue boyscout.

Couldn't agree more. One of my favourite moments in The Avengers was when Cap gets blasted through a window by a Chitauri grenade and lands on a taxi, crushing its roof. The look of absolute pain on his face is really great and really shows that he's an ordinary guy under it all. But then he shakes it off and puts on his game face and suddenly he's a hero again. Makes him much more compelling than the others imo.

the winter soldier is one of the coolest looking villains in a long while.

Yes, very comic book, BUT...

he's supposed to be a ghost, a myth, a legend -

yet he's running about in broad daylight on busy freeways killing people. With a gang of henchmen, and his bionic arm out.

Not very subtle. When exactly did
    Hydra
    decide it was time to put him on the cover of Time magazine?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

That did seem a bit odd, alright. But my excuse for it would be that Hydra were at the end-game and had no reason to hide him anymore. They were about to kill millions, so there was no reason to keep to the shadows. And since next to nothing was known about him (not even who he was working for), then they really had nothing to lose.

Yes, very comic book, BUT...

he's supposed to be a ghost, a myth, a legend -

yet he's running about in broad daylight on busy freeways killing people. With a gang of henchmen, and his bionic arm out.

Not very subtle. When exactly did
    Hydra
    decide it was time to put him on the cover of Time magazine?

Well he has probably never tackled someone as hard as himself to take down before this, most of his hits were probably from afar with a sniper, remaining unseen..

So going for Fury/Cap would require a more hands on approach.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

Wouldn't it be easier to take Cap on from a distance with a sniper rifle?

Hard to be sure he's dead from a distance with those freaky powers of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

The Empire Spoiler Podcast. Really good discussion of the film and it's impact on the MCU. Also a great interview with the Russo bros

• Registered Users Posts: 78,310 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's an interesting remake of the Star Wars Trilogy - star destroyers, dangling over precipices / off aerials, metal hands, father and son ...

Victor wrote: »
    father and son ...

What now? Who's father and son in this one?

Victor wrote: »
    It's an interesting remake of the Star Wars Trilogy - star destroyers, dangling over precipices / off aerials, metal hands, father and son ...
    Funny you should say that when in the Agents Of Shield latest episode there's a scene where
    they have to rescue one of their own from an enemy held base and pull the Star Wars "Wookie in Cuffs" trick

• Advertisement

Well...
    he put 3 through the chest on nick fury and he survived, and plus Cap got shot multiple times at the end and was still able to walk around and lift collapsed debris
    So no, it wouldnt be easier... :P

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,181 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

humanji wrote: »
    Funny you should say that when in the Agents Of Shield latest episode there's a scene where
    they have to rescue one of their own from an enemy held base and pull the Star Wars "Wookie in Cuffs" trick

Did that show improve any? I stopped watching after the episode that was supposed to tie in with Thor 2 and all we got was a short scene at the start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

It actually has improved a lot. Was about to stop myself but they started to delve into Coulson and his "Death"

Yeah, it really ramped up. The latest episode was fantastic and well worth suffering the dodgy early episodes for.

Might give it another chance so.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

When Cap was climbing into his apartment through the window, the camera seemed to focus on a number of books on the shelf. I thought one of them looked like The Catcher and The Rye but it was a bit too dark to make out, did anyone see this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,305 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Saw this last night and thought it was really good. The Marvel films seem to be getting up to a very high standard now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

In the first Cap movie, we saw a few scenes oof him doing sketches in a note book, wonder why they didn't show them in this one considering it seems a hobby of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Best Marvel film so far IMO, characters where handled well and felt more like Captain America than in the first film.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

As usual, I belatedly got to see this and without covering too much ground already mentioned by others, I enjoyed Captain America 2 more than expected to. The main reason for this was because it didn't really feel like a superhero film - and I mean that in the nicest possible way. It came across more like a Jason Bourne film, mixed with paranoid spy shenanigans from the 1970s, infused with modern-day concerns of surveillance via Person of Interest. A techno-thriller basically. That the cast members were larger-than-life superheroes and villains was broadly irrelevant to proceedings.

Captain America was always going to be a tricky act to portray, particularly given how old-fashioned he is, and to Marvels credit they used this rather than ignore or explain it away. While the first film skirted the issue by setting it in an era when America's role was broadly positive in the eyes of most, the sequel made a smart move by keeping Steve Rogers as an icon, instead using him to criticise and hold a mirror against the kind of America (and world) that exists today & worries many people. That's a much smarter approach than I would have ever given Marvel credit for in the past, especially as their latter productions have become stilted & suffocated by canon and the grand Phase 1, 2, 3 schemes.

What also surprised me was just how violent & bone-crunching the film was; it was certainly on the harder edge of PG-13 with a lot of incidental death and destruction (particularly at the hands of the Winter Soldier, who offs one SHIELD agent in a particularly grisly manner). To the extent that if someone asked if this was suitable for younger children, I'd probably say no, probably not.

If I had to grumble, then the movie still suffered from the modern-day affliction that a blockbuster HAS to have a final act involving earth-shattering stakes and over-the-top explosions. It's as if executives can't countenance a scenario where a hitherto smart, intelligent thriller couldn't end with something more modest. It's particularly annoying as many of the preceding, smaller scale set-pieces were infinitely more exciting than the finale's OTT CGI-fest; the car chase with Nick Fury was the highlight for me.

Equally, my main concern about these interlinked movies raised its head here: it's all well and good having all your characters co-exist, but when incidents such as those in Captain America 2 occur, I can't shake the constant thought of 'wait, where's Iron Man in all this? Or Hulk? Both would have been perfect help.'

The end credits scene was also a waste of my time, there was no good reason it couldn't have sat at the tail-end of the feature proper. I said it before: at first the easter-egg scene was cute & unique, now it's just irritating.

Still though, a smart, occasionally thought-provoking thriller with some solid, earthy action. Definitely not what I expected to think about this.

Advertisement