Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain America Sequel The Winter Soldier

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,198 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

pixelburp wrote: »
    I'm kinda happy Marvel don't have all IPs back in their hands.

I completely agree with the assertion that the 'homegrown' Marvel films have proven frustratingly bland and compromised recently, but they're alas not alone. Amazing Spiderman was perhaps the most miserably mediocre of the lot so far, and that was Sony's doing.

I guess when you're working on this budget, safe bets are always going to be commercially preferable to risks. It really does all seem to be boiling down to GotG and Ant Man to see whether a) more distinctive directors can do something interesting and ambitious under the Marvel umbrella and b) whether audiences accept it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I completely agree with the assertion that the 'homegrown' Marvel films have proven frustratingly bland and compromised recently, but they're alas not alone. Amazing Spiderman was perhaps the most miserably mediocre of the lot so far, and that was Sony's doing.

Ah yeah, it doesn't help that some of the IPs outside of Marvel control have been equally underwhelming; certainly Amazing Spiderman only got greenlit to keep copyright in Sony's hands, not out of any grand sense of artistic enthusiasm. I'd still prefer they kept copyright though, ditto Fox & X-Men, on the off chance they might yet make something unique.

Besides, just from a mythological point of view, I've never seen the great benefit of a shared universe anyway; I've stared into the abyss that is comic continuity and it seems like a bloated, tangled mess that'd make daytime soaps wince. How can you rationalise a world where the X-men are hated & apparently everywhere, yet Spiderman is the darling of New York?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

now THAT was alot better than the first one.

really pumped for this one. like the new uniform too. happy the old one still gets an outing as well. looks like theyre pushing steve into the role cap filled in the post dark reign stuff.

really like that arm on the winter soldier too. i havent read that story (though like everyone else knows who he is) so ill be coming at the character based on his last appearce rather than his comic roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,413 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Major potential spoiler involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I hope to Christ that didn't just reveal a plot point. One line contains either a major spoiler or a major redirect.

• Advertisement

I hope to Christ that didn't just reveal a plot point. One line contains either a major spoiler or a major redirect.

I was thinking the same thing.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I was thinking the same thing.

I didnt see anything?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I didnt see anything?

Now I want to tell you lol

Major potential spoiler
    Listen from 10 to 12 seconds.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,182 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Now I want to tell you lol

Major potential spoiler
    Listen from 10 to 12 seconds.

Haha oh well, I guess I shouldn't have asked :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

It could mean
    "Fury's lasts words to me [before he fell into a coma]..."

There was a similarly big plot spoiler revealed by Marvel during the press junkets for Thor 2
    , specifically showing the scene where Loki chops off Thor's hand but that turned out to be a ruse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Fair enough. Failing that there's always
    Tahiti

They could also go with
    An Immortal Nick Fury or bring in The Infinity Formula

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Only a week to go to this movie comes out. Apparently in house reviews at Disney have been really positive. Can't wait till next Friday!

Only a week to go to this movie comes out. Apparently in house reviews at Disney have been really positive. Can't wait till next Friday!

It's out Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I know the people at Empire were all very impressed. Helen O'Hara tweeted that it has some of the best action in a Marvel movie yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

So were the in house reviews for TDKR. :P

I actually rate TDKR highly though, but I'm in the minority in that thinking around here.

i cant wait TBH.

The only fecking thing that half interested me this week on the action front was "need for speed" and im not that into cars so didnt bother.

cap will fit my popcorn fix nicely.

:D

IGN gave it a 9/10, it's plot spoiler free so the review is worth reading

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/03/20/captain-america-the-winter-soldier-review

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The Guardian gave it four out of five, with a sub heading of "Suffused with a realism rarely seen in comic-book movies, the Captain America sequel revives the flagging superhero genre".

I really enjoyed the first one, so the fact that this is reviewing well is delightful.

The review is here. Spoiler wise, I don't think that there is anything in the review that you couldn't already get from the trailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Reviews seem pretty strong for this.

I can very much take or leave aLL of the marvel sueprhero movies, I've just never found them interesting, DC has always been my preference.

But this looks something like I can't say no to.

• Advertisement

Didn't know which thread to put in so I am putting it in both.

Captain America shoots down Superman & Batman :)
    Just a bit of fun :)

IGN gave it a 9/10, it's plot spoiler free so the review is worth reading

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/03/20/captain-america-the-winter-soldier-review

those clips are fantastic too. the action certainly seems a step up from first avenger. the energy in the "pursuit" clip was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Local cinema is doing a double-bill of The Avengers and midnight-showing of Cap 2..

.. I am mighty tempted!

The early reviews have me raising my expectations a little, I expected GotG to be the film to give the post Avengers marvel movies the kick up the bum they needed, will be very pleasantly surprised if this beats them to it :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Am booked in with the other half to see it in Imax next Saturday. Should be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Midnight showing for me , As has been the tradition with all the marvel studios movies for me :D can't wait

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Myself and my wife are both booked in for The Avengers/ Winter Solider double bill in IMAX, really excited for this!

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

Saw this last night. Very enjoyable film. I think it lives up to the hype. Much deeper story than the first one with alot of action (car chases, gun fights, hand to hand). May have to go see it again.....

bigslick wrote: »
    Saw this last night. Very enjoyable film. I think it lives up to the hype. Much deeper story than the first one with alot of action (car chases, gun fights, hand to hand). May have to go see it again.....

That good? Damn, cannot wait till Friday now, might have to go to a midnight showing tonight :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,171 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The first movie was probably my favourite of the Phase 1 stand-alone movies (probably due in no small part to my love for all things WW2) so I'm really looking forward to this one!

Advertisement