Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain America Sequel The Winter Soldier

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Honestly it felt like two films
    -A spy thriller
    -An action flick

They almost worked seamlessly but not quite. Very predictable in places but that's to be expected. Really enjoyed it.
    What was not to be predicted was how ropey some of the CGI was.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Honestly it felt like two films
    -A spy thriller
    -An action flick

They almost worked seamlessly but not quite. Very predictable in places but that's to be expected. Really enjoyed it.
    What was not to be predicted was how ropey some of the CGI was.

That was kind of my feeling as well. I loved the espionage/paranoia tone for the first two thirds of the film, so I was disappointed that it descended into another bland, over-the-top, Avengers-esque set piece finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I liked it, but I don't think it bettered the original Captain America.

Too much shakey-cam in the fight scenes, too much stupid monologuing from the bad guys, no-one in the whole cinema believed
    Fury was dead,
    , and not much Winter Soldier in a movie called The Winter Soldier.

In the comics, the Winter Soldier was a Soviet agent - why does this one have a red star on his arm?

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭silverbolt

I liked it, but I don't think it bettered the original Captain America.

Too much shakey-cam in the fight scenes, too much stupid monologuing from the bad guys, no-one in the whole cinema believed
    Fury was dead,
    , and not much Winter Soldier in a movie called The Winter Soldier.

In the comics, the Winter Soldier was a Soviet agent - why does this one have a red star on his arm?

Dont start comparing the comics to the movies or you will go down a path that can only lead to insanity.

though i agree there wasnt much winter soldier in it at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭thomas anderson.

They were only introducing the character because in the next movie he becomes Captain America, the first Cap gets killed by Crossbones (the guy all burnt at the end)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Misdirection on Hydra's part?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Because he was also a soviet agent?

Gbear wrote: »

So
    Hydra were also inside Soviet intelligence, without anyone there ever knowing?

Gbear wrote: »
    So
    Hydra were also inside Soviet intelligence, without anyone there ever knowing?

More likely that it was misdirection.
    Hydra working within SHIELD used TWS to alter things in their favour, JFK, etc. Naturally it wouldn't work out if he could be traced back to SHIELD so paint a red star on him and pretend he's a Soviet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

FunLover18 wrote: »
    More likely that it was misdirection.
    Hydra working within SHIELD used TWS to alter things in their favour, JFK, etc. Naturally it wouldn't work out if he could be traced back to SHIELD so paint a red star on him and pretend he's a Soviet.

He was also speaking what sounded like Russian when he was on the road with his gang of miscreants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Are post credit scenes really necessary anymore?
    Initially it was to tease us about a potential idea that everybody superhero fan wished for but never fully expected to happen.
    Now, we even know who the main villain is in the next Avengers movie, so there's isn't any need to tease us with two post-credit scenes.

Really good movie though, the fight scenes (not the OTT destructive scenes which are inescapable in Marvel movies) were great. Lots of high energy, high impact hitting. I do wish we got more of the Winter Soldier's persona though. He didn't say much beyond "I don't know you"

Saw it tonight and rather enjoyed it though it did have a very, made by committee feel. Like the recent Thor film it felt like a film heavily compromised from what the writers and directors originally intended. The 70s style conspiracy plot was really well done and a nice change of pace from the CGI fest that was the Avengers. The early action scenes were well shot and there was a sense of symmetry and spatial awareness to them meaning that we never got lost. Sadly the final set piece just felt far too similar. It played out like the final set piece in every other blockbuster of the past decade and you could easily have thrown in a few deleted scenes from The Avengers and not many would have noticed

Like then ending, a lot of the films most interesting moments felt rushed. I'd love to have seen more of Steve and Peggy, Steve exploring his past and I'd really have liked to see more of the vets and how Steve actually was adapting to modern life. Dr Zola was a complete missed opportunity and for such a smart AI he'd obviously never seen any action film from the past 40 years.

Still, it's one of the few Marvel films that I left the cinema looking forward to watching again. There was a sense of fun that many a marvel films lacks and the plot actually has a few interesting ideas.

It was also nice to see Redford and Newman share the screen again. It was a simply little moment that put a smile on my face and left me eager to revisit Butch and Sundance and The Sting

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Like then ending, a lot of the films most interesting moments felt rushed. I'd love to have seen more of Steve and Peggy, Steve exploring his past and I'd really have liked to see more of the vets and how Steve actually was adapting to modern life.
    The Avengers movie had several cut scenes about with Steve adapting to modern life that were cut, so I'd assume there's probably more here. They did seem to really rush past the Peggy part in this. I was expecting something to come of it.
    It was also nice to see Redford and Newman share the screen again.
    They shared the screen in this?

humanji wrote: »

Redford had Newman's Own sauce in his fridge :p

• Registered Users Posts: 60,504 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

humanji wrote: »

When
    Redford opened his fridge Newmans Own's was in it.A nice nod to their friendship I think :)

Ah, I didn't notice that. Brilliant, haha!

Meant to say in my first post but for me Anthony Mackue was the stand out. He managed to take a character I never cared for and make him interesting and fun. I really hope that we see more of him and I'd sooner see a Falcon film than a Black Widow one. Have to say that Scarlett Johansson was atrocious, she was bland and seemed to be bored throughout the film. There was no chemistry between her and any other character and I'm hiping that all the "do you trust me" crap means that she's going to be killed off in the next Avengers

I'm sure it's been discussed before but Marvel really need to convince me that all these films exist in one universe. I get that each hero needs their own film but where was everyone else? Surely Iron Man or Hulk who seened to be hanging around Avengers Tower would have been around to lend a hand.

Hopefully as the universe expands there'll be more characters to play with, the mention of Stephen Strange hopefully means that a Dr. Strange film isn't too far away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

When
    Newmans Own's

That's in bad taste.

LOL :D

That sounds ****ing hilarious. I'm tittering thinking of it.

I think I'll have to go see this now.

Adamantium wrote: »
    That's in bad taste.

LOL :D

That sounds ****ing hilarious. I'm tittering thinking of it.

I think I'll have to go see this now.

I thought that it was a nice little nod to Redford's past. Think I was the only one in the cinema who caught it as my girlfriend had to ask what I was smiling about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Watched this on Tuesday, I enjoyed it I have to say.

Question for you though with
    Shield being destroyed

What's going to happen to agents of shield now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

You'll have to watch next week's episode. I think that the film is only being released this week in the States so might seem a bit disjointed

Shield will be rebuilt, no doubt. And it'll take a while for the full fallout out of the film to reach them. Shield is a huge organisation, so it'll take a long while for the government to reassign everyone and they're still going to want teams of agents doing their job, so they could still act in an unofficial capacity while the rest of Hydra are routed out.

Then again, it's a comic book world, so they can decide to have anything happen. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Unless Fury plans on rebuilding it, I can't see it happening.

The ending showed various agents going their separate ways. Sharon Carter is in the CIA, Maria Hill is applying for a job with Stark, BW and Cap have gone solo etc etc....

It doesn't look like anyone is too cut up about Shield's demise.
    Then again, if they're following the comics, there's an outside possibility that the reason Stark is hiring Hill is because he is the one who plans to rebuild and take over Shield, and wants Hill by his side to do it. It would be a nice way of easing Stark's (and RDJ's) participation in the cinematic universe.

Unless Fury plans on rebuilding it, I can't see it happening.

Indeed, no comic-book franchise would ever pull a switcheroo and reset things back the way they were after a big surprising change.

Then again, if they're following the comics, there's an outside possibility that the reason Stark is hiring Hill is because he is the one who plans to rebuild and take over Shield, and wants Hill by his side to do it. It would be a nice way of easing Stark's (and RDJ's) participation in the cinematic universe.
    In which case he may have to pass the responsibilities of Iron Man on to someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭pah

Anybody else spot what was written on
    Furys headstone

"The path of the righteous man... "

grinning to myself

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Got to say this Marvel's Studio best film aside from The Avenger's. Very dark and downbeat with a nice touch of heart to it. I got to say I had a bit of dust in my eye a little with the scene between Steve Roger's and
    A elderly Peggy Carter
    . Robert Redford, god he would have been a perfect Captain America in his 70's pomp was brilliant and is it the first time he played
    A Villian, I know he played a few shady characters in the 70's
    . Loved the action scenes (some of the fight scenes were really hard hitting) and the Winter Solider and his past give the film a nice tragic touch. Scarlett Johansson is really winning me over with her last few films and I wouldn't be agaisn't a Black Widow stand alone film. I know Robert Downey Jr gets all the acting plaudits but Chris Evans is really excellent as Captain America.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Johansson's star seems to never have been more hotter than it is right now alright. I'm not sure a standalone film would have legs but I wouldn't be surprised if Marvel run with it now (not like them to turn down opportunity and money).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Best film of the year for me so far, I liked it even more than the first one. Specially loved the falcon and Evans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3480822/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_1

Announced apparently?

Solid Snake to direct?

:eek:

Advertisement