Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fergal Quinn wants to scrap the min wage

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

But without a national minimum wage barrier, pay can reportedly go well below €1 per hour, especially in the former communist eastern states.
    Sure we didn't even have min wage here til 2000.
    It's also already perfectly legal to work for less than min wage if you have less than two years' work experience or are under 18.

Studies have shown that having a min wage does actually have a negative impact on employment.
    http://www.cato.org/publications/policy-analysis/negative-effects-minimum-wage-laws
    While the aim is to help workers, decades of economic research show that minimum wages usually end up harming workers and the broader economy. Minimum wages particularly stifle job opportunities for low-skill workers, youth, and minorities, which are the groups that policymakers are often trying to help with these policies.

http://www.downsizinggovernment.org/labor/negative-effects-minimum-wage-laws

As for spending - well, cato has an article about that also ;)
    http://www.cato.org/blog/consumer-spending-myth
    Journalists talk endlessly these days about the need for more consumer spending to revive the economy, and for government programs to juice consumer spending.

Production, not consumption, is the source of wealth. If we want a healthy economy, we need to create the conditions under which producers can get on with the process of creating wealth for others to consume, and under which households and firms can engage in thesaving necessary to finance that production….

Whatever about scrapping it altogether, I think all 3 bands of it could at least do with being lowered.

I just found an interesting report from when they were considering introducing min wage in Ireland, actually...

http://www.djei.ie/publications/employment/1999/nationalminimumwagereport/appenb.htm
    To put it in context, the most recent medium-term forecasts of employment growth with the ESRI's macromodel, in the absence of the minimum wage, include a growth in employment of 18.9% between 2000 and 2010. The introduction of the minimum wage is expected to reduce the growth in employment over the period 2000-2010 from 18.9% to 18%. (The projected fall in employment lies within the range 9,500 to 17,400 when different assumptions on spillover are used).
    This decline is driven in equal measure by two separate effects:
    a decline in the demand for low-wage labour due to the direct impact of the introduction of the minimum wage. Almost all of this decline occurs in industrial sectors.
    a decline in the demand for higher-wage labour due to the indirect impact of the minimum wage on inflation, increasing wage demands and reducing competitiveness. The cumulative long-run impact on average wages is 2.85% and on consumer prices is 1.4%. This implies an increase in the real wage of approximately 1.4% which represents a significant deterioration in competitiveness. This decline impacts on the demand for labour in both industrial and services sectors.
    Overall approximately 84% of the projected total fall in employment occurs in the industrial sectors, including building and construction.
    Unemployment is projected to increase by 8,860,
    It looks like an introduction of the min wage was expected to cause a decline in employment particularly in industrial/building/construction, which would tie in with the USA- based reports above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Scortho

Barracuda1 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/business/small-business/scrap-the-minimum-wage-says-superquinn-founder-29126513.html

How about scrapping massive bonuses and salaries for company directors. Many of these directors don't spend their wages into the economy unlike the ordinary and costs more jobs.

So a person who sets up a company and runs it successfully shouldn't be able to earn a salary in line with that or a dividend for taking the risk?
    Bye bye entrepreneurship, bye bye job creation and bye bye economic growth and investment.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ca8Z__o52sk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dca8Z__o52sk

http://dqydj.net/the-minimum-wage-mistake/

http://m.europe.wsj.com/articles/a/SB124476823767508619?mg=reno64-wsj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Barracuda1

Scortho wrote: »
    So a person who sets up a company and runs it successfully shouldn't be able to earn a salary in line with that or a dividend for taking the risk?
    Bye bye entrepreneurship, bye bye job creation and bye bye economic growth and investment.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=ca8Z__o52sk&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Dca8Z__o52sk

http://dqydj.net/the-minimum-wage-mistake/

http://m.europe.wsj.com/articles/a/SB124476823767508619?mg=reno64-wsj

Its actually the same people who in this time are bringing home more money in a recessions in their salaries and the ordinary paye/prsi is taking home less. I am not against capatilism but some CEO taking home >5m pounds per annum as I seen on a programme on the BBC on night. I can't think of the name of the Lord who wanted some CEO to take paycuts. IMO when you set no min wage you also set no min safety standards and quality of life for workers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Henry Ford wanted every worker to be able buy one of his automobiles. Bill Cullen wanted people to work for free and his car dealership is now gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,233 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

If you want to scrap the minimum wage, you have to reduce the dole and benefits. No one will take a job when state benefits are worth more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I doubt Quinn would say such a thing if he were earning a mere 8.65 an hour. Why not introduce a national maximum wage? Mr Quinn can spear head this idea because clearly he is open to ideas of curbing wage bills ...

On a more serious note, this demonstrates what a very thin veneer of "national interest" statements doesn't really hird. Quinn would love to have no minimum wage so that he, and those like him, would be in a position to hire desperate people for ultra cheap labor. Allow me to condense everything he said in that article into one simple little sentence.

I want others to have less so that I can have more ...

In other words, he only wants policies enacted whereby he stands to make a personal gain, screw everyone else. This is just like the vast, vast majority of humanity and it is the reason why this species is probably doomed to destroy itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Is Jobbridge not giving these people enough cheap labour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

So, the mechanic cuts his helpers wages. The lad decides he cannot afford to have his usual haircut at the barbers. The barber is wondering why his customer numbers are down and holds off paying the deposit on his holiday. The travel agent staff are getting the jitters because their sales targets are down and decide to forgo having that small extension or the painting done. The painter decides while he is doing nothing he can't afford to get the car serviced and will save the €220 by doing it himself ... until these small employers cannot afford ANY wage and the numbers are added to the dole queue as the restaurants shut and the newsagent goes out of business and people share cars instead of taking a taxi........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I won't be setting foot in his shop again with that attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

woodoo wrote: »
    It hasn't been his for a long time now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Head The Wall

woodoo wrote: »
    When you say "his shop" do you mean the ones he sold in 2005.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/140-bailedout-bank-executives-claiming-100000plus-pensions-29135093.html

This is where reduction begin.On a seperate note every TD that on a pension should be assessed on what they did for their country and decide whether they should continue ro recieve the pension or put on the state pension. I read that the retired members of parliment in greece are getting 500eur per week. Its the same currency give it to our retired TD. I like thousands have to make ends meet on the same money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Cienciano wrote: »
    If you want to scrap the minimum wage, you have to reduce the dole and benefits. No one will take a job when state benefits are worth more.

The sort of people who want to scrap the minimum wage are invariably the very same types who believe that people on the dole are living lives of luxury. Feargal Quinn, for instance, has said that social welfare recipients should have their internet usage monitored using "counter terrorism software" just to make sure that they're not buying cars and holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Eoin247

I don't know about scrapping it but it certainly should be lowered.

Same goes for the dole, I've heard about people being able to save up their dole to move country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

bluewolf wrote: »
    Studies have shown that having a min wage does actually have a negative impact on employment.
    http://www.cato.org/publications/policy-analysis/negative-effects-minimum-wage-laws

http://www.downsizinggovernment.org/labor/negative-effects-minimum-wage-laws

As for spending - well, cato has an article about that also ;)
    http://www.cato.org/blog/consumer-spending-myth
    A study backed by Koch-founded/run Cato, among others from Cato-backed/funded institutes, has as much credibility as the Koch brothers themselves; that's like bringing out a study from the tobacco industry, to support the argument that smoking is good for you.

Here is a good summary of the current state of study regarding the effects of the minimum wage:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minimum_wage#Empirical_studies

Still highly contested, with studies showing no effect on employment, and studies showing a clear publication bias in favour of reports critical of minimum wage.
    Whatever about scrapping it altogether, I think all 3 bands of it could at least do with being lowered.

I just found an interesting report from when they were considering introducing min wage in Ireland, actually...

http://www.djei.ie/publications/employment/1999/nationalminimumwagereport/appenb.htm

It looks like an introduction of the min wage was expected to cause a decline in employment particularly in industrial/building/construction, which would tie in with the USA- based reports above.
    Your using a report from 1999, about expectations, instead of showing what actually happened?

After minimum wage, we had the lowest unemployment rate in decades:
    unemployment.gif

One notable thing about arguments on the minimum wage, is that the people that argue against it try to use arguments based on times of economic recession, as a face for the ideological reasons for supporting its abolishment; what are their arguments, for good economic times, when unemployment is not so high?

Trying to answer that, usually exposes the core ideological roots/reasoning, behind wanting to end the minimum wage.

Eoin247 wrote: »

Same goes for the dole, I've heard about people being able to save up their dole to move country.

The cost of living would need to be lowered first. The demographic of our cities and towns does not allow for people to live on low wages. There would need to be better public transport in urban areas to do so. You could have the same standard of living on 100 eur less a week if you didn't need a car but unfortunatly you do. Planning laws didn't build to allow the people need a car less. A decent apartment complex that would allow families to live in and a transport service fit for 21st Ireland. I myself would take a second job or work from home and not take children allowance if I could but when welfare is better than taking a seond job who is going to work

RayM wrote: »
    The sort of people who want to scrap the minimum wage are invariably the very same types who believe that people on the dole are living lives of luxury. Feargal Quinn, for instance, has said that social welfare recipients should have their internet usage monitored using "counter terrorism software" just to make sure that they're not buying cars and holidays.

Those people are of a mind set that they personally will never fall under the wing of the policies that they suggest should be brought into effect. I would imagine that they would change their tune if they were to find themselves on the dole or in need of a job. Capitalism is great, so long as it works for you.

Indeed, better that they remain here in dudgeon and despondency. After all, there are many magnanimous souls such as Mr Quinn who would only be too happy to take them on for an "exciting opportunity" via the Jobsbridge scheme or better yet, a position with remuneration free from the shackles of minimum wage regulations.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Your using a report from 1999, about expectations, instead of showing what actually happened?
    I'm using a report that indicated that even Irish groups did not think the introduction of a min wage would be a good thing, for the same reasons.
    After minimum wage, we had the lowest unemployment rate in decades:
    unemployment.gif
    My report dealt with unemployment as directly affected by min wage. You're looking at unemployment overall, with a number of factors (like a property bubble?). You need to pick out what part of those levels were affected by min wage, positively or negatively; otherwise the two are not comparable. Did unemployment drop despite the min wage? Because of it? No effect?
    You might also notice that the report said the rate of unemployment dropping would be slowed after introducing it - not that it would stop altogether. Showing that it didn't stop altogether... has no bearing on it.

One notable thing about arguments on the minimum wage, is that the people that argue against it try to use arguments based on times of economic recession, as a face for the ideological reasons for supporting its abolishment; what are their arguments, for good economic times, when unemployment is not so high?

It seems quite obvious that when we have an unemployment problem, we should look at the causes and solutions :confused:

One other point I'd like to make is. The min wage is attractive to foreign nationals who seems in majority a hard working people and if it was lowered they would not be interesed in coming here to work and the economy would suffer for it. There are people who would not work if you gave them 86.50 eur an hour(min wage X 10) but there are those who think it viable to travel and work for it and keep coming if you do

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

http://www.independent.ie/business/small-business/scrap-the-minimum-wage-says-superquinn-founder-29126513.html

How about scrapping massive bonuses and salaries for company directors. Many of these directors don't spend their wages into the economy unlike the ordinary and costs more jobs.
    How about scrapping fergal quinn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

so what did they eat and drink while they were saving their dole.

flutered wrote: »
    so what did they eat and drink while they were saving their dole.

If you were on the dole and wanted out of Ireland you would live on a paultry menu for a few months to get the money together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

My report dealt with unemployment as directly affected by min wage. You're looking at unemployment overall, with a number of factors (like a property bubble?). You need to pick out what part of those levels were affected by min wage, positively or negatively; otherwise the two are not comparable. Did unemployment drop despite the min wage? Because of it? No effect?
    Unemployment leveled out at what economists generally would mark as a pretty good/low level of unemployment, between 4-5%; you don't get a whole lot better than that, unless you set up something like a Job Guarantee.

The fall in unemployment rate wouldn't be correlated with minimum wage at all really, in my view; the rate it was at, is pretty much within the bounds of standard international rates for 'structural unemployment'.
    It seems quite obvious that when we have an unemployment problem, we should look at the causes and solutions :confused:
    Agreed, but abolishing minimum wage is a permanent policy that lasts into good economic times as well; otherwise, why not argue for linking minimum wage to the unemployment rate, rather than abolishing it outright?

The causes of high unemployment right now, are pretty clearly to do with reduced consumer demand, due to reduced dispensable income, caused by debt-deflation (excessive private debts being deleveraged), and reduced public spending plus taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

If you were on the dole and wanted out of Ireland you would live on a paultry menu for a few months to get the money together.

Years ago I worked in Superquinn on minimum wage. At that time I had a particulalry nasty supervisor who enjoyed terrorizing people below him. Once Fergal appeared on the shop floor, caught him in the act, and asked me was I going to stand for this.
    Well I had to stand for this as otherwise I didn't have a job Fergal (that's what I wanted to say but it didn't happen.... That or tell the supervisor to get f himself in front of the boss :)).

Not sure of my point her beyond that Fergal Quinn is not a black and white character, not quite your typical CEO and if he says something he believes in it, even if his delivery or logic may have holes in it.

I don't agree with scrapping minimum wage, as it is very important for ensuring a minimum income standard for the working class, students, part-timers, people starting out and the money goes back into the local economy anyway, but there is a case for adjusting the wage if it is counterproductive to hiring people.

And yes social welfare rates would need to be adjusted in tandem to make it work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

RichardAnd wrote: »

Those people are of a mind set that they personally will never fall under the wing of the policies that they suggest should be brought into effect. I would imagine that they would change their tune if they were to find themselves on the dole or in need of a job. Capitalism is great, so long as it works for you.

Indeed, better that they remain here in dudgeon and despondency. After all, there are many magnanimous souls such as Mr Quinn who would only be too happy to take them on for an "exciting opportunity" via the Jobsbridge scheme or better yet, a position with remuneration free from the shackles of minimum wage regulations.

Correct me if I'm wrong but job bridge is completely voluntary, yes some employers probably are abusing the scheme , but why would you take a job bridge place to train to be a shelf stacker (unless you had no work experience at all)
    And the way around minimum wage is through self employment... I'm self employed and would love to earn minimum wage .....

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Unemployment leveled out at what economists generally would mark as a pretty good/low level of unemployment, between 4-5%; you don't get a whole lot better than that, unless you set up something like a Job Guarantee.

Unemployment may have been aprox 4 % during the boom,but that doesn't include the large number of non workers in our economy , those on disability, single parents allowance, ect ...
    Does anyone know what % of the Irish population actually works ? or even what the definition of the Irish work force actually is , ?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

maninasia wrote: »
    Years ago I worked in Superquinn on minimum wage. At that time I had a particulalry nasty supervisor who enjoyed terrorizing people below him. Once Fergal appeared on the shop floor, caught him in the act, and asked me was I going to stand for this.
    Well I had to stand for this as otherwise I didn't have a job Fergal (that's what I wanted to say but it didn't happen.... That or tell the supervisor to get f himself in front of the boss :)).

Not sure of my point her beyond that Fergal Quinn is not a black and white character, not quite your typical CEO and if he says something he believes in it, even if his delivery or logic may have holes in it.

I don't agree with scrapping minimum wage, as it is very important for ensuring a minimum income standard for the working class, students, part-timers, people starting out and the money goes back into the local economy anyway, but there is a case for adjusting the wage if it is counterproductive to hiring people.

And yes social welfare rates would need to be adjusted in tandem to make it work.

Good to hear from someone who has met Fergal. The problem we face here is that the tax to employ someone in ireland is high. The employers PRSI per employee is 10.75% This is higher than the UK. To pay min wage to a person is almost double the cost to the employer but the employee should not be the loser. A win win for everyong would be reducing the employers PRSI by 1% for companies with <50 employees. The bulk of employment in ireland are given by small companies employing <50 employees

Markcheese wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but job bridge is completely voluntary, yes some employers probably are abusing the scheme , but why would you take a job bridge place to train to be a shelf stacker (unless you had no work experience at all)
    And the way around minimum wage is through self employment... I'm self employed and would love to earn minimum wage .....

It is voluntary and I was not implying otherwise. However, what I was implying (though I will admit I did so though a medium of sarcasm) was that these schemes have injected something into the job market that will only detract from job seekers; the concept of working for experience.

I don't want to pull this thread into a debate on work experience because it's not its intended topic but I will simply say that asking people to work for experience is something that is almost always suggested by those who know (or at least, believe) that they will never be in such a position. It's extremely easy for someone with years of experience and a good job to tell a graduate that they should work for no pay but for the graduate, the prospect is soul destroying.

I'll leave it at that though, there has been many a thread wherein the topic has garnered far more detailed discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

provided you do not have kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

Markcheese wrote: »

Not from what i have heard. As far as i know, you can be forced onto a jobbridge program and if you do not do it the social welfare will cut you off.

Advertisement