Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is wrong with the national side?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

trouttrout wrote: »
    What players exactly aren't good enough?

Also, while we lack depth at TH, we certainly don't at 7. SOB is a world class 7 and Chris Henry is a brilliant replacement.

SOB is a world class player but not a world class 7. You're very idea of what a world class 7 is is indicative of the problem with the Irish management and Irish rugby in general.

SOB would get on any team in the world at 6 or 8, not 7!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭trouttrout

Sean OBrien isnt a seven.
    Chris Henry isnt good enough for Ireland and is a converted 8
    . Look at Tipuric today and you have a classic 7.

Right, we'll end the conversation here I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭jimbomalley

Sean OBrien isnt a seven.
    Chris Henry isnt good enough for Ireland and is a converted 8. Look at Tipuric today and you have a classic 7.

Wales played 2 distructive 7s today and it showed...they were all over english ball, hands everywhere. Fair play to howley, tough to create line breaks when you cant get clean ball from your rucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

jimjamcos wrote: »
    SOB is a world class player but not a world class 7. You're very idea of what a world class 7 is is indicative of the problem with the Irish management and Irish rugby in general.

So Richie McCaw isn't a world class 7 then? Because SOB took him to the cleaners in NZ.

Jesus christ this form is silly season on game days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Ah Nz hammered Ire 60 0.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,263 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

O brien is our best back row ball carrier, he is also a good ground hog in my opinion. Thats why hes our 7. The only bad point I'd put on him is he gives away some silly penalties. He would be wasted at 6 as it doesn't play to his strengths.

Ok he may not be a pocock in a ruck, but hes better in open play in opinion....

I feel that, given the nature of international rugby, it takes a coach of real charisma to succeed in the role. Either a coach who captivates a team through fear or charm - Kidney does neither. Say what you want about Gatland, but he generates a bond/atmosphere in which players raise their games for him.

There's limited opportunity for an international coach to get his message and ideas across to players given the small windows which they operate within. He has to have personality, be an effective communicator, be bold in his approach and be willing to take risks. We see this regularly in Schmidt's management and very little in Kidneys.

I feel that, given the nature of international rugby, it takes a coach of real charisma to succeed in the role. Either a coach who captivates a team through fear or charm - Kidney does neither. Say what you want about Gatland, but he generates a bond/atmosphere in which players raise their games for him.

There's limited opportunity for an international coach to get his message and ideas across to players given the small windows which they operate within. He has to have personality, be an effective communicator, be bold in his approach and be willing to take risks. We see this regularly in Schmidt's management and very little in Kidneys.

I would agree with you there. Charisma is v important.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This has been discussed so many times now that I have no real desire to have this discussion again, but the bottom line is, you're wrong. Our back row is excellently balanced.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    O brien is our best back row ball carrier, he is also a good ground hog in my opinion. Thats why hes our 7. The only bad point I'd put on him is he gives away some silly penalties. He would be wasted at 6 as it doesn't play to his strengths.

Ok he may not be a pocock in a ruck, but hes better in open play in opinion....

As good as he is (and I rate him as a top class 6 and a good 7) he is actually at fault for a lot of the scrum penalties against us as he stops pushing behind the prop (watching for breaks off the scrum) resulting in the scrum buckling...someone needs to have a quiet word with seanie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

This has been discussed so many times now that I have no real desire to have this discussion again, but the bottom line is, you're wrong. Our back row is excellently balanced.

I would tend to agree but still unsure about POM. In 3 of the games in this 6N he left way too much of the burden on the other 2 backrows, his workrate was fairly poor. He was absolutely excellent against France, if he can keep playing like that then yes, our backrow is very well balanced. Not going to read anything into his performance today as he was moved to the wing.

Edit - on SOB, he has put in several top class performances for Ireland at 7, including (according to the NZ press!) going toe-to-toe with McCaw in the 2nd test last summer, also got very good reviews after the first test.

Ah christ George Hook has been banging on for years how unbalanced our backrows have been and he is right. We dont have a single natural 7 in the country.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Our problem is not lack of a bloody 'true 7'. For one, SOB has developed into an excellent openside. The fact he is also a destructive ball carrier is irrelevant. On top of which our number 8, for all his faults is an excellent back row on the deck. And Henry being a converted 8 is completely ****ing irrelevant. He's now a 7 and a damn good one.

Ah christ George Hook has been banging on for years how unbalanced our backrows have been and he is right. We dont have a single natural 7 in the country.

Ah George Hook said it?!

Sorry, I retract what I said earlier, you're completely right..

Really didn't know Hook said it, I feel very silly now.

All sarcasm

• Subscribers Posts: 41,263 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

As good as he is (and I rate him as a top class 6 and a good 7) he is actually at fault for a lot of the scrum penalties against us as he stops pushing behind the prop (watching for breaks off the scrum) resulting in the scrum buckling...someone needs to have a quiet word with seanie

A christ here.... He doesn't push behind a prop... Go back to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Why don't you be that man? He's reachable on Twitter.

Please educate us on what a proper 7 does and what elements they would bring to our game that we are currently missing?

Both flankers do it and it annoys me. Flankers mot pushing definitely makes a difference.

We have a No.8 who's forever clearing out rucks and focusing primarily on donkey work.

We have a No.7 who's our main ball-carrier at every opportunity and turning over very little ball in comparison to his penalty count at rucks.

We have have no variation provided by either of the above of O'Mahoney come line-out time.

But yes you're right...our back row is "excellently balanced" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Injuries, the captaincy issue and a poor coaching ticket. You can't just blame one thing.

• Advertisement

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Please educate us on what a proper 7 does and what elements they would bring to our game that we are currently missing?

Watch Tipuric today.

Watch Tipuric today.

Cop out :rolleyes:

Really? So a 7/6 doesnt have his shoulder welded to the buttocks of the prop in front of him?? Watch the game again. The scrum goes backwards at least twice in the game just as sean sticks his head up. Its actually simple physics syd, 8 bodies pushing against 7 will normally come out on top. If you dont agree with me counter argue rather than being a dick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭jamiedav2011

****in hell.

Why even bother on this forum when the seagulls are around. :rolleyes:

The amount of uneducated nonsense being spouted is incredible.

clsmooth wrote: »

Why don't you be that man? He's reachable on Twitter.

Well first off im not on twitter and secondly why would he listen to me when his (national) coaches cant see issue with it?

If you want to have a debate, debate please. Dont be insulting people.
    Brent Pope said a while back that if Sean OBrien was in NZ he prob would have been converted to a hooker. He is very talented but has shortcomings in every position in the backrow.

****in hell.

Why even bother on this forum when the seagulls are around. :rolleyes:

Show me a good scrummaging unit where all 8 dont push as a unit? Ignorance is bliss though right?

Edit: oh yeah, forgot to add :rolleyes: at the end, you know, just to emphasize my point :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Both wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭clsmooth

Well first off im not on twitter and secondly why would he listen to me when his (national) coaches cant see issue with it?

It's constructive criticism and if it stops a few scrum penalties per game I'm sure he'd listen to your opinion. Why be so shy? It's for the good of the nation? If you're not part of the solution you're part of the problem Jim.

Advertisement