Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

The two Mahers have returned to their natural positions rather than a stop gap measure!

You may very well be right, they are both excellent hurlers who can play most positions to a high level however P Maher in particular is an outstanding wing back and I cannot see him having the same influence from the center back position. If O'Shea had a reliable alternative he would move him back to his "real natural" position.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

They did all the hurling in the second half and gave a very accomplished defensive disply, the longer the game went on the more they were going to win by, how exactly did you think they looked jaded? And if they were then Galway must be rightly fcuked alltogether!

I take it that you are from the South riding (or football side) of our beautiful county p'stones?
    If you thought any aspect of the game aginst Galway was 'accomplished' then it might be best to leave the hurling analysis to us folk in the North riding!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mercury16

If KK play a strong team I would expect them to win, and would be a bit disappointed if they didn't. However I don't expect them to play a strong side, and would go as far as saying, I would prefer them not to play a strong side, as the younger lads need the games. As said previously, you want just enough experience to keep it competitive, but the younger lads need to gain experince from a game such as this which is as close to championship pace that any of them will have played at to date.
    Murphy
    Murphy; Joyce; Kennedy
    P Walsh; Tyrell; Buckley
    M Fennelly; L Ryan
    J Power; C Fennelly; Larkin
    Shefflin; W Walsh; Kelly

with C Fennelly and W Walsh inter-changing in on P Maher at full back. If P maher is on the wing then i'd have Shefflin, J Power and Kelly in the full forward line.

Kelly needs to up his performance for me or its time to look elsewhere. We are in May now so whatever about getting scores he at least needs to get on the ball.

Subs:
    TJ Reid
    R Power
    JJ Delaney
    T Walsh
    J Holden
    B Hogan
    M Rice
    T Fogarty
    R Hogan
    JJ Farrell

Remember the KK team that played these in the league game wasn't that strong and JJ wasn't there that day either. B Hogan and Tommy were taken off at half time. We went with a young half back line and i'd go that way again.

If we lose by a couple of points and the game is close, then the benefit of playing this side will be far greater than winning the game with a stronger side.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

The two Mahers have returned to their natural positions rather than a stop gap measure!

You may very well be right, they are both excellent hurlers who can play most positions to a high level however P Maher in particular is an outstanding wing back and I cannot see him having the same influence from the center back position. If O'Shea had a reliable alternative he would move him back to his "real natural" position.

Paraic is playing FB not CB and that is where he has done his best hurling in a Tipp jersey IMO, he is too loose at no.6 and as a wingback he is poor when turned and his delivery of ball to the forwards and tendency to take too much out of it is a problem.

Brendan has always been a centre back and reads the game excellently, he was merely move to midfield in 2009 to counter act KK's dominance in that area and Tipp's lack of a natural midfielder, Shane McGrath likewise was always a wing back but ended up in midfiled.

I take it that you are from the South riding (or football side) of our beautiful county p'stones?
    If you thought any aspect of the game aginst Galway was 'accomplished' then it might be best to leave the hurling analysis to us folk in the North riding!

Actually from the North of the county and if its one thing that pisses me off more than a troll its someone who refers to the divisonal divide in Tipp, some of the best hurlers ever to don the blue and gold have come from what you ignorantly refer to as the ''football side''.

No go off and play your playstation and leave the real debate to those who actually know what they are talking about and aren't interested in your petty point scoring and trolling, it takes a certain amount of intelligence to troll effectively and you good man have failed miserably!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Actually from the North of the county and if its one thing that pisses me off more than a troll its someone who refers to the divisonal divide in Tipp, some of the best hurlers ever to don the blue and gold have come from what you ignorantly refer to as the ''football side''.

No go off and play your playstation and leave the real debate to those who actually know what they are talking about and aren't interested in your petty point scoring and trolling, it takes a certain amount of intelligence to troll effectively and you good man have failed miserably!

Temper! Temper ! stonesey!
    Where in the North are you from?

I will bow to your superior knowledge of Tipp players and their history Premier but one thing, if memory serves me correctly was P Maher not cleaned out at full back a few years ago when he was tried there. Now there are so many Maher's in Tipp it is easy for an outsider to confuse them from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

mercury16 wrote: »
    If KK play a strong team I would expect them to win, and would be a bit disappointed if they didn't. However I don't expect them to play a strong side, and would go as far as saying, I would prefer them not to play a strong side, as the younger lads need the games. As said previously, you want just enough experience to keep it competitive, but the younger lads need to gain experince from a game such as this which is as close to championship pace that any of them will have played at to date.
    Murphy
    Murphy; Joyce; Kennedy
    P Walsh; Tyrell; Buckley
    M Fennelly; L Ryan
    J Power; C Fennelly; Larkin
    Shefflin; W Walsh; Kelly

with C Fennelly and W Walsh inter-changing in on P Maher at full back. If P maher is on the wing then i'd have Shefflin, J Power and Kelly in the full forward line.

Kelly needs to up his performance for me or its time to look elsewhere. We are in May now so whatever about getting scores he at least needs to get on the ball.

Subs:
    TJ Reid
    R Power
    JJ Delaney
    T Walsh
    J Holden
    B Hogan
    M Rice
    T Fogarty
    R Hogan
    JJ Farrell

Remember the KK team that played these in the league game wasn't that strong and JJ wasn't there that day either. B Hogan and Tommy were taken off at half time. We went with a young half back line and i'd go that way again.

If we lose by a couple of points and the game is close, then the benefit of playing this side will be far greater than winning the game with a stronger side.

Agree 100% that KK will win with a strong team. Think Cody will go with a similar team to last time. I think Hogan will be left at CB. If he's on form, he'll play CB come championship. Half back line is the most important in hurling and if these three repeat their SF performance we'll be well set. Think MF will be unchanged. Lester appears to have dropped down the pecking order. Think Wally will be the only forward to make way. Don't know who he'll go with. Agree on Kelly. I'd say this could be his last chance.

Think Cody (as he always does) wants to win this one and I agree. Doesn't every player want to play in a winning team? Don't think strong performances this time of year will harm us. Our problem last year was we were stale. Think the newbies this year have shaken things up and have put the established guys on notice. That can only be good for our prospects this year.

Temper! Temper ! stonesey!
    Where in the North are you from?

Hope your lads are as united on Sunday...

I will bow to your superior knowledge of Tipp players and their history Premier but one thing, if memory serves me correctly was P Maher not cleaned out at full back a few years ago when he was tried there. Now there are so many Maher's in Tipp it is easy for an outsider to confuse them from time to time.

Yep his first senior game at FB he was destroyed by one of the O'Hailpins, but if you look at that game John O'Brien was wing forward and stood ten yards off John Gardner and Gardner had all day to feed perfect ball into O'Hailpin, no better man! Something similar happened in the 2011 final when Tommy Walsh was allowed the freedom of the stadium and fed Henry with every ball, John O'Keefe was marking Henry that day and was made a scapegoat in Tipp, but IMO it was the supply was the problem, no one could have stooped Henry that day when he was getting that service from a top player like Walsh.

In hindsight it was no place for a 20 year old rookie FB, but I certainly think he is far more suited to FB now and Brendan in front of him will offer alot more protection, Sunday will be the first big test for the pair but I would be confident they are up to it, although a rampant Colin Fennelly in his current form will be a massive massive step up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Correct me if Im wrong but is this now the Tipperary GAA Thread? Why are there loads of Tipp lads on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭Hitchens

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Correct me if Im wrong but is this now the Tipperary GAA Thread? Why are there loads of Tipp lads on this?

Simple - constant victory has a thousand fathers......................constant defeat is an orphan! ;):D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Because it's a discussion forum and Kilkenny are playing Tipperary on Sunday.

KILKENNY v TIPPERARY

EOIN MURPHY GLENMORE

PAUL MURPHY DANESFORT

J.J. DELANEY FENIANS

BRIAN KENNEDY ST. LACHTAINS

JOEY HOLDEN BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS

JACKIE TYRRELL JAMES STEPHENS

CILLIAN BUCKLEY DICKSBORO

MICHAEL FENNELLY BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS

PADRAIG WALSH TULLAROAN

RICHIE HOGAN DANESFORT

COLIN FENNELLY BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS

T.J. REID BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS

RICHIE POWER CARRICKSHOCK

MARK KELLY O’LOUGHLIN GAELS

HENRY SHEFFLIN BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS

DAVID HERITY DUNNAMAGGIN

TOMMY WALSH TULLAROAN

BRIAN HOGAN O’LOUGHLIN GAELS

KIERAN JOYCE ROWER INISTIOGE

CONOR FOGARTY ERINS OWN

MICHAEL WALSH YOUNG IRELANDS

LESTER RYAN CLARA

WALTER WALSH TULLOGHER ROSBERCON

EOIN LARKIN JAMES STEPHENS

AIDAN FOGARTY EMERALDS

JONJO FARRELL THOMASTOWN

Glad to see the experiment of playing Ritchie Hogan at midfield is over. Still no sign of Michael Rice in the subs but over all glad to see Joey Holden given another chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,853 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Glad to see the experiment of playing Ritchie Hogan at midfield is over. Still no sign of Michael Rice in the subs but over all glad to see Joey Holden given another chance.

Agree about Holden. I actually think Hogan is ok at midfield but is too hard wired for scores for the position so good to see him moved up. Not a fan of Tyrell in the centre and think Hogan is the best we've got there. Most of the rest is more or less what I'd wanted to see except for no rice and Henry starting again (I'd hardly say I was disappointed with that though, he had such flashes of genius last day, and he is who he is!).

Edit: idiot that I am was reading the sub bench as the full forward line...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Grats

Very happy with team announced. We're going to need back up for centre back so going to need both Jackie and B Hogan. Jackie's turn this time I guess. Glad Holden is starting and especially glad to see R Hogan in forwards. If we need his presence in midfield in matches to come, no problem. Richie Power needs the game. He must have swapped his injury with John!

Whatever happened to Tipp naming their team by Thur night? Most teams not being announced now until Sat or even Sun. Amazingly the programs manage to have them!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Fort Stranger

That's some forward line, expect a high scoring game, we are always at our deadliest when Power, Reid, Hogan and Henry are there, add Colin Fennelly and hopefully Kelly can benefit from having four of the greats and the form player of the season beside him!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 catseye2

Strong team. And the bench has got quality on it.

I think kelly has a chance to see if he can hold 14 jersey ahead of larks.

Joyce and hogan seem to be behind Jackie for cb.

First choice full back line and midfield selected

Michael Rice is hardly still injured?

• Advertisement

Michael Rice is hardly still injured?

Unfortunately it appears so. Perhaps club hurling will be his aim for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

As I said early in the week I thought cody would throw a few curve balls in his team. Didn't think jackie would be back at centre back, walter would be dropped, or padraig walsh would be moved from half back.

I think he his sending a warning shot to the panel that competition is rife and everyone needs to keep fighting for their place.

Time us running out for Michael rice to get up to speed, he would be a massive addition to the team if we could get him fit.

KILKENNY v TIPPERARY

EOIN MURPHY GLENMORE

PAUL MURPHY DANESFORT

J.J. DELANEY FENIANS

BRIAN KENNEDY ST. LACHTAINS

JOEY HOLDEN BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS

JACKIE TYRRELL JAMES STEPHENS

CILLIAN BUCKLEY DICKSBORO

MICHAEL FENNELLY BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS

PADRAIG WALSH TULLAROAN

RICHIE HOGAN DANESFORT

COLIN FENNELLY BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS

T.J. REID BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS

RICHIE POWER CARRICKSHOCK

MARK KELLY O’LOUGHLIN GAELS

HENRY SHEFFLIN BALLYHALE SHAMROCKS

DAVID HERITY DUNNAMAGGIN

TOMMY WALSH TULLAROAN

BRIAN HOGAN O’LOUGHLIN GAELS

KIERAN JOYCE ROWER INISTIOGE

CONOR FOGARTY ERINS OWN

MICHAEL WALSH YOUNG IRELANDS

LESTER RYAN CLARA

WALTER WALSH TULLOGHER ROSBERCON

EOIN LARKIN JAMES STEPHENS

AIDAN FOGARTY EMERALDS

JONJO FARRELL THOMASTOWN

Strong selection with just three changes (player wise). If Jackie plays well that'll give Cody a nice headache for CB. I expect Jackie to be fired up for this one. Will be interesting to see how the HB line fares with two out of three changes. If things go pear shaped here though we have plenty of options. With Wally and Larks also in reserve, I think we're set fair for another league title. Roll on Sunday!

Grats wrote: »
    Unfortunately it appears so. Perhaps club hurling will be his aim for now.

I have my doubts, sure he played a full 60 mins for his club a few weeks ago and likewise in a challenge game a week or two before that so he seemed to be over everything. I highly doubt we will see him at all this season especially with lads now gone ahead of him in the pecking order. Hes not just going to be thrown in at the deep end come championship especially with the way things have gone over the last few weeks. If we were going to see him it would have been the Galway game he would have been at least named on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Shirleysrumbler

I have my doubts, sure he played a full 60 mins for his club a few weeks ago and likewise in a challenge game a week or two before that so he seemed to be over everything. I highly doubt we will see him at all this season especially with lads now gone ahead of him in the pecking order. Hes not just going to be thrown in at the deep end come championship especially with the way things have gone over the last few weeks. If we were going to see him it would have been the Galway game he would have been at least named on the bench
    Ankle Injury. Will struggle to line out for the Shocks next Fri.

That's what I heard about Rice also. From one injury to another, very tough on him.

Thanks for the info. Seems to be picking up one injury after another now.

This will be a good test for Kilkenny. The performances of the new guys, Walsh, Kennedy, Holden and Kelly will be central to all our future planning. I will add to this list Buckley as well. If they hold their own good but if they do better than that then the fight for championship places will really be on. Guys like Larkin. Brian Hogan and Tommy we all know what they can do. They have nothing to prove but to have them fighting for a starting place can be nothing but good for Kilkenny. I think a win is important particularly if Tipp put in a fighting performance and none of the new boys has to be substituted due to lack of a performance by them. It is vital for Kilkenny that these new boys hold their own or at least most of them do. If they don't then it is back to the old and trusted and this would be a backward step.No matter what is said or done this is potentially a top class Tipp team with talent to burn and to turn them over tomorrow is just as important as it ever was for Kilkenny to do so and maybe more so since we are looking to our long term future in a big, big way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭robopaddy

Whats the story with joyce this year?. Is he gone off form or just lost his place due to his involvement with rower in the inter club championhip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭droppingball

I would think cody has identified joyces lack of pace as its his real weakness and a problem area for us

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement