Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The New Pope!

Options
  • 14-03-2013 10:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭

No great surprise that this new man, Pope Francis I, is going to be no different to what's come before him in terms of his attitude towards same sex marriage. I know, in fairness, he may have his positive attributes but I was hoping that the conclave may have elected someone who would be a little more inclusive.

John Paul II was a gas man with his religion-a-la-carte, it's just a pity that they don't recognise the same thing in themselves as leaders of the church.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I was hoping that the conclave may have elected someone who would be a little more inclusive.

I very much doubt that there was one man in that conclave that holds a more inclusive view towards gay people.
    Or, if one did, he would most certainly keep that thought to himself.
    Frankie believes gay marriage to be the work of Satan.
    If he can do more damage to the RCC that will be fine by me. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I never get why people think, or even hope, that a new Pope is going to be more inclusive or progressive than the last one. You don't get to be Pope without fitting the reactionary mold firmly, and the previous two Popes had in any event stacked the cardinals so that it was guaranteed another conservative would be elected.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭i_steal_sheep

I never get why people think, or even hope, that a new Pope is going to be more inclusive or progressive than the last one. You don't get to be Pope without fitting the reactionary mold firmly, and the previous two Popes had in any event stacked the cardinals so that it was guaranteed another conservative would be elected.

I never for a second thought we were going to get a more progressive one, but a more inclusive one would do the job. Deus Caritas Est / God is Love - isn't the whole premise of the bible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭periodictable

• Registered Users Posts: 40,980 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Obviously his views on social matters are disappointing but his views on economic issues are hopeful and progressive

"Human rights are not only violated by terrorism, repression or assassination, but also by unfair economic structures that creates huge inequalities." Archbishop Jorge Mario Bergoglio (Pope Francis I)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

Having a progressive Pope would be like having a black man in charge of the KKK.

I have no respect for religious institutions or beliefs! This is nothing to be hopeful about at all. I wish it wasn't such a big news story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Just a new king of the pedos tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Caiseoipe19

1ZRed wrote: »

Great input there, as usual. You're absolutely hilarious. Grow up like a good lad.

It is very clear and obvious that a large number of LGBT people are not religious. However, this does not justify calling all priests paedos. Don't do it again. As always I don't respond to moderation on thread and if you have any issues PM me.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Not all clergy are 'pedos' in fact I know some who don't share the same views as the pope regarding gay marriage,adoption.Nice to see you make that sweeping generalization when the 'pedo' brush is often targeted at ourselves- the gay male community,while we are it we all have HIV,sex mad 100% promiscous etc etc

• Advertisement

Cygnus wrote: »
    Great input there, as usual. You're absolutely hilarious. Grow up like a good lad.

Condescension is a great way of getting anyone to do anything

1zred, Cygnus - take your discussion to PM

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭i_steal_sheep

Is it not possible to have a bit of a discussion about the new Pope and the Church without going 'there'? I'm not particularly religious but I do have a lot of respect for the many many good men who are within the priesthood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Is it not possible to have a bit of a discussion about the new Pope and the Church without going 'there'? I'm not particularly religious but I do have a lot of respect for the many many good men who are within the priesthood.

I don't. Evil triumphs when good men do nothing.

As long as catholic priests and the catholic community as a whole is happy to sit back and allow their hierarchy spout the nonsense they do about the LGBT community, about women, about contraception and condom use, and refuse to demand accountability for things like child abuse, then they have to accept guilt by association.

All of these things are done in their name.

If they want respect, then they should stand up and publicly reject these things, not sit there in silence when these things are said and done.

I say this as somebody with a relative in the priesthood who was very supportive of me when he found out I was gay. Until he denounces the hatred spewed from the Vatican from the pulpit though, his comforting private words aren't really doing much good to the world.

floggg wrote: »
    his comforting private words aren't really doing much good to the world.

If you took comfort from them then I would argue in a sense they are

Terry Pratchet

Technically I never made one mention to all priests being pedos, ye came to that conclusion all on your own.

There are enough harboured and protected within the church to be king of them. I don't believe all priests are pedos by any stretch but there is far more under the surface and what they did was criminal in protecting the priests who abused children or anyone else.

Until they stand up to it, take the punishment for what they did, and continue to do, then I'll show them no respect and I'll think nothing of making casual comments like that.

Tbh, even if they did own up to it why would I show that organisation any such respect for the oppression and ideals they've pushed freely without any remorse over the centuries?

If you took comfort from them then I would argue in a sense they are

I didn't personally, as I was long past the stage where I needed affirmation from people about this. Particularly a catholic priest.

While I did appreciate the sentiment and know it to be genuine, at the same time I found it a bit disingenuous for him to want to assure me I had his support and that he sympathised with any difficulties I faced when many of the difficulties and obstacles faced are fostered, supported and/or condoned by the very organisation he has dedicated his life's work to.

If the Catholic Church and other religious bodies decided to stop opposing equality (never mind pushing for it), I may well not need his support or sympathies.

And I don't think it's really all that helpful to the world at large to convey these sentiments privately yet every week preach the authority and infallibility of a man who calls me intrinsically disordered and describes my wish to be have my relationship recognised by the state as the work of the devil.

I don't think those private words are going to do much good to a confused teen or young adult in the pews every week whose lead to believe there's something wrong with him and who may be scared to reveal himself out of fear of rejection.

How will we ever know my uncle says nice things in private if in public he gives tacit support (through silence) to hateful and hurtful messages from Rome? Why would he ever reveal himself to my uncle?

If Christians want respect on this issue, then they need to stand up and be counted.

I'll think nothing of making casual comments like that.

You won't be making casual comments like that in this forum

Terry Pratchet

Of course not because this forum is wrapped in cotton wool where you can't say anything for the fear of god you may offend some overly sensitive person.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ifeelgood

I have to say I know priests that having affairs with women and that are gay. I'm completely fine with this because they are just human, but the hypocrisy is just unreal.

• Advertisement

ifeelgood wrote: »
    I have to say I know priests that having affairs with women and that are gay. I'm completely fine with this because they are just human, but the hypocrisy is just unreal.

Ha! though I don't know of any gay priests, bar hearing from relatives of one that used to bring the lads swimming and made the girls sit on his lap and give him a kiss and gave off "vibes", our old parish priest was well known for being with this "house keeper".

I wouldn't care at all except he was a man who loved to preach christian values he didn't follow and would give out about not getting enough money.
    A joke he was in every single way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭peter barrins

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Phareon

Just to point out that he's just Pope Francis, not Pope Francis 'I'.
    There's been an official statement and everything: http://www.latimes.com/news/world/worldnow/la-fg-wn-vatican-pope-francis-name-20130313,0,1309501.story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

It has been what? 500/600 years since the last Pope resigned? Has anybody here realised that it is possible a backlash has begun (be it baby steps) within the Catholic church?. The leader of a religious institution that leads 1.2 billion people does not resign from said position, just purely out of "not being able to give enough energy". We did witness history in the making! Take it as you want, but I believe that there is a lot going on in the background, that we will not know about at this moment in time.

Pope Benedict did not see a way forward, stuck with his thoughts and beliefs structured by a book created 2,000 years ago, but only see's the work in Progress that has been changed, manipulated and edited to suit an institution that promotes its "owner" as a vengeful, spiteful person, rapidly needing change and for f**kin once, realising people are sick and tired of hearing about hate, fear and all that negativity that the "Catholic" church has instilled in people. Pope Benedict was a victim of what is the political world, he did not meet the requirements for growth and FAITH, to allow an organisation to grow and expand. He could not have continued to be the CEO of an institution that was losing millions of investors at an unprecedented scale. Forgive me, I had to use an analogy that makes some kind of sense in this age of finance and politics, with the latter being the major factor within the church. Times are changing, and as with any institution and business, it has to change and realise that a significant percentage of his staff not only want, but need change....otherwise its destiny will be nothing more than mere mythology in 100 years time.

Thanks, I needed a good laugh!

Gays obsessed with the Catholic Church?

That's right, because its the gays who have said that has spent millions in trying to prevent the Catholic Church having equal rights, who argued against the decriminalisation of Catholicism, who have said that catholic relationships undermine the fabric of society, and generally stick their oar in every time catholics try to obtain progress or equality. It's the gays who continually try to impose themselves into the bedroom and family life of catholic priests and others, and whose preaching and hatred has lead to the isolation, rejection and in some case deaths of young teens.

No, wait - isn't it the other way around?

The ignorance and lack of awareness in that post is astounding.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry, but are you willfully not getting it or just deluded? The Catholic Church is the one obsessing over gays and gay issues and does its best to promote discrimination.

A gay man highlighting its discriminatory and harmful messages and teachings isn't obsession - it's self preservation.

How you think an institution that publicly denounces me as intrinsically disordered or my relationships as a threat to civilisation deserves my respect is truly beyond me, and if you think the LGBT community is the one with an irrational obsession with the Catholic Church and not the other way around, I suggest you educate yourself or seek help.

Advertisement